AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 03:44   Link #2701
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateking View Post
The lost of Renton's daughter drove him to depression (might explain the front white hair) and with Secrets chasing the Scab Corals around all timelines and universes causing havoc to the world, Renton easily come to the conclusion that the world is better off without Scab Coral.
We all know that already.

It's that they're just haphazardly using the characters like that which bothers us so damn much.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 05:23   Link #2702
Gohan78
Awakened One

What a horrible ending, really.
Isn't the TRAPAR like the breath of the Scub Coral? How can it damage Human-Coralian children? It doesn't make sense! They shat all over the concepts of family and integration that were the core of E7. Not to mention that poor Renton and Eureka can't get a happy ending even after saving the world.

They completely shafted Fleur and all the other characters in favor of Ao's family. The activation of her Third Engine was glossed over, even if it was such a big deal in previous episodes. A wasted plot thread, one of many.

Truth was such a ridicolous villain that the only good thing he did was erasing himself from the story, literally. But then he comes back as an Archetype for no reason at all.

I want to point a giant Quartz Gun to this series and erase it from existence.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 06:11   Link #2703
Arya

This series just sucked after episode 3 as a standalone series. (I never cared about any E7 lagacies). But the fact that it should have been a sequel really killed it.

Reading the comments here I guess it's not even worth wasting time in watching the last 2 episodes of it.
So, may I ask what happened to Naru, and why did she sided with Truth? And Fleur, has she been truly shafted too in the end?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 07:47   Link #2704
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
What a horrible ending, really.
Isn't the TRAPAR like the breath of the Scub Coral? How can it damage Human-Coralian children? It doesn't make sense! They shat all over the concepts of family and integration that were the core of E7. Not to mention that poor Renton and Eureka can't get a happy ending even after saving the world.

They completely shafted Fleur and all the other characters in favor of Ao's family. The activation of her Third Engine was glossed over, even if it was such a big deal in previous episodes. A wasted plot thread, one of many.

Truth was such a ridicolous villain that the only good thing he did was erasing himself from the story, literally. But then he comes back as an Archetype for no reason at all.

I want to point a giant Quartz Gun to this series and erase it from existence.
Pretty much general sentiment of fandom. Looks like AO sales will definitely drop now. Maybe in the future, they will disregard this and make a real sequel...
Old 2012-11-21, 07:59   Link #2705
pirateking

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Pretty much general sentiment of fandom. Looks like AO sales will definitely drop now. Maybe in the future, they will disregard this and make a real sequel...
E7AO sales have always been generally poor if you look at the sale figures of the BD/DVD. However its the sales that drove companies to make sequels, if BD sales is poor, chances of another E7 sequel is unlikely.
pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 08:25   Link #2706
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateking View Post
E7AO sales have always been generally poor if you look at the sale figures of the BD/DVD. However its the sales that drove companies to make sequels, if BD sales is poor, chances of another E7 sequel is unlikely.
When I said real sequel, I meant reboot. But then again, I doubt the company will attempt again until after 5 years or so.
Old 2012-11-21, 09:11   Link #2707
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
That`s really cool! This way, both people can win. Instead of saying: "well that`s just your opinion" (which gets everyone nowhere) you can say, " well that`s just your SUBJECTIVE opinion which you are entiteld to have." but objectively, X thing is still bad/good. and then people could list why and have a decent discussion instead of being all passively agressively offended and have a passive agressive argument.
You know, what? Yes. Let's sit down and have a proper discussion. I beg someone to help me understand what exactly fueled the outrage with this show, why is it so "objectively bad" outside the "bones ending" syndrome this series was no exception to. Because the sweeping statements like "Incoherent, nonsensical narratives" and "no direction" aren't helping your case at all. Give me some examples to work with here, preferably of the earlier episodes. And that there's the constant comparisons to E7 (outside of the justified bastardization of an ending) only make me further believe the criticism is due to misplaced expectations.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-11-21 at 09:24.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:15   Link #2708
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And it doesn't make your opinion any more valid.
What I'm trying to tell you - is that it has nothing to do with anyone's opinion in the first place.
Old 2012-11-21, 09:38   Link #2709
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Seems the series is a bomb.... Thank God.... I dropped it before I actually watched the 10 episodes I downloaded.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:50   Link #2710
leon4281isback

Send a message via MSN to leon4281isback
I wasn't expecting jack s**t from this entire series until I watched everything, I did, and some of the only things about it were just some priceless scenes, some good fights, and seeing Renton and Eureka again. That's all from me. But it still feels empty for me with this series.

And maybe I do understand of what Bones was trying to do here, but I must be still not getting it by choice since the ending left me with a WTF!? All that and Ao ends up back in Okinawa in this "third universe" despite the fact that there's a chance no one will remember him, and he doesn't get a chance to spend life with the family he's searched for since the beginning.

Renton is awesome, but I'm just bashing my head on the table when he's okay letting his kid go for the second time, every parent would hold onto their child especially if they have been separating from their offspring for a reason and finally have reunited again, with every intention of not letting them go again. And I'm supposed to accept that now that this whole thing never existed so Renton and Eureka can have Ao and her sister again with a new slate in their own universe. And their son Ao is just an anomoly in a third universe? I'm already accepting it it's just this whole thing was just feels pointless. I almost forgot that there is that scene where Ao went in saved Eureka from going through that accidental trip. That was very cool.

Several Plotholes still run around my head, and some of the characters, all the things they did, totally wiped away in a matter of second. Naru...*sighs* I'm glad she was out of the way, I never gave even gave two cents when she did the things she did, and she was supposed to be the "heroine", when antagonistic, then switched sides and then flip floped again and atttempted to take Truth's power for herself only to flop so bad, now after a little time change, she's back to her sick self and still delusional. And Truth.....I'll never EVER EVER THINK ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT TRUTH. All that crap and I'm supposed to accept that he's an archtype after the crap he's pulled? Uh uh, it doesn't roll like that in my viewpoint. He ends up as in archtype in the Nirvash Neo was it called? Darn it! GET THAT S**T OUTTA HERE!

And as for relationship, man I feel bad for a lot of people expecting some relationship between Ao and one of the female character to happen. The ending just shot that out of the sky and then shot up more of the remains when they reached the ground.

What really got me is the fact that they never backed up what happened to the fates of the rest of the cast in the previous Eureka Seven. The thing about sequels is that you have to at least mention and show the viewers what became of the people of the previous story, protagonist and antagonist, all the people that we have seen on this visual journey. They didn't do NONE of it, except Eureka and Renton. So we to assume that they are all right Holland and Talho is already enjoying their life with their newborn kid for all we know for one instance. Why bring them up and not even bring up a freaking flashback for what happened to them after those events.

It's a hot mess, that's all I know for sure. I'm just giving this series at least a 5/10. I didn't give a detailed review on it. But that's what this series is getting from me. I enjoyed it a little bit, and that was it, but not enough to get a higher rating.
Old 2012-11-21, 10:32   Link #2711
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Seriously, what were they smokin' when they're making E7 AO?!!
I dont know but it was some kind of super-shit

I can't even tell what happened in that series

I can't

The mess is way too BIG.

For their daughter to renton and eureka , it's not naru ?
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 10:49   Link #2712
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
I dont know but it was some kind of super-shit

I can't even tell what happened in that series

I can't

The mess is way too BIG.

For their daughter to renton and eureka , it's not naru ?
Speaking of Naru I can't imagine that was how they intended her to turn out at the start of the series. I can't escape this feeling that something went horribly horribly wrong in production after the first 3 episodes cause it feels almost like a totally different series, cast and tone between when Ao was on the island and when he left. There was no sign of Truth, time line fuckery or Naru being a manipulative power hungry bitch, just a story of a guy who was ostracized by the people around him and was looking to find his mother. That in itself could have made a perfectly compelling story if combined with a solid cast like the series looked to be building up at first, but then we get monster of the week fights with the likes of Elena, Team Goldilocks, Truth and post island arc Naru and then it's followed up with this nonsensical timeline/rebooting plot that just drags on and ends with little development to the characters that makes any sense at all for more than an episode at a time. Also utterly pointless sidestories like the Miller one, Ao leaving GB and the search for Magi take up time to absolutely no benefit of anything whatsoever.

I'm hoping we get one of those what went wrong in production spiels like we sometimes get when a studio knows they fucked up huge and somehow I'm sure BONES knows they botched this completely and utterly.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:08   Link #2713
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
There was no sign of Truth
We knew there'd be a guy named Truth from before the show began, though.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:14   Link #2714
Arya

I have found this rumor in the internet about that:
Quote:
The first scriptwriter ran away from the project before it was animated, and the director had to arrange all the pending stuff. Maybe this is the reason behind the Epicness of the first episodes and the Epic fail of all the rest.
And... Naru was intended to be part of GenBleu too, along with Ao [...]
It was either said that it was reported in the Magazine Book of E7AO. Don't know how much it could be reliable or not.
Sure something bad happened.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:20   Link #2715
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
We knew there'd be a guy named Truth from before the show began, though.
We didn't know he'd be an utterly ridiculous caricature that we were supposed to take seriously as a villain. Anyway the more I think about this show the more aspects remind me of Guilty Crown. The plot that can't stay focused between episodes, the random traitor heroines, the cackling bishonen villains, people getting turned into crystals or goo, the rampant jingoistic subtext....this show has far more in common with that one that seems to have sadly set the pace for mecha tv series than its predecessor.

I'm seriously so worried about mecha right now its not even funny. I have nothing against trying to bring it up to date a bit with popular trends but can the shows please PLEASE start making some damn sense again instead of obviously never getting past the concept stage with their tropes. Like for all the flack Fam of the silver wing got for not living up to its predecessor and having "moeblob heroines" at least the plot made sense and the characters were developed normally. Thats at least meeting basic standards.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 12:43   Link #2716
Xagzan

One thing that gets me is, I'm just having a hard time trying to define what this show was "about."

Was it about a boy finding his mother? Ok, he found her. And now she's gone forever. And nothing about his journey or their encounter seems to have changed him, so how can it matter? It may have been Ao's background motivation for his actions, but that's really all you can say about it.

Was it about a boy trying to fit in on his island while fighting prejudice and hatred from those around him? Certainly seemed that way at first, but that concept got tossed as soon as Ao boarded GB.

Was it about a boy saving the world? Ok, which world? There were so many alternate histories here, keeping track of them all was a chore; especially when any of them could just instantly be erased or brought into being by the quartz gun. For that matter, given the function of the gun, I'm not sure what it even means in this series to "save" the world. No, that can't be what it was about.

So maybe it was about him finding a new family with GB and his Pied Piper teammates, and sharing this world with them? These final episodes sure gave that sense, from his words to Elena about how he wanted to be with them, to Fleur's saying she thought they were a family in the finale. But we barely got any meaningful interactions between them during the whole show. Most of their time spent together was routinely battling Secrets, rinse and repeat. And now, of course, they might not even remember Ao anymore, so the "family" theme was completely pointless and didn't amount to anything.

And that's kind of the problem here. Nothing really amounted to anything. Not the relationships, not the politics, not the numerous little plot threads that were drawn up only to be left whipping in the wind (what ever happened with theEND? I can't even remember), not the Goldilocks girls, not the concept of GB being hell for these child pilots, etc. Nothing was really developed conclusively, or given relevance beyond its own existence, and so it was all robbed of any meaning. A big bag of nothing, that's how I'd describe it.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 12:49   Link #2717
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Speaking of Naru I can't imagine that was how they intended her to turn out at the start of the series. I can't escape this feeling that something went horribly horribly wrong in production after the first 3 episodes cause it feels almost like a totally different series, cast and tone between when Ao was on the island and when he left. There was no sign of Truth, time line fuckery or Naru being a manipulative power hungry bitch, just a story of a guy who was ostracized by the people around him and was looking to find his mother. That in itself could have made a perfectly compelling story if combined with a solid cast like the series looked to be building up at first, but then we get monster of the week fights with the likes of Elena, Team Goldilocks, Truth and post island arc Naru and then it's followed up with this nonsensical timeline/rebooting plot that just drags on and ends with little development to the characters that makes any sense at all for more than an episode at a time. Also utterly pointless sidestories like the Miller one, Ao leaving GB and the search for Magi take up time to absolutely no benefit of anything whatsoever.

I'm hoping we get one of those what went wrong in production spiels like we sometimes get when a studio knows they fucked up huge and somehow I'm sure BONES knows they botched this completely and utterly.
Jesus , yeahh
Thanks
i remind that now and that was cool

Yeah , after that it was blown away
i remember hating truth the first time i saw it and especially when he took people appaerence

At this point i was only looking the series for dogfights and that's all

The Bleu generation is awful , naru is kinda cool in the beginning and get awful when she start her terrorist act , the father of fleur , awful gendo-cool wannabe
I mean , if the series stayed at ostracisation and the hero trying to beat those secret and get people love him it would be really cool and...

...Deja-vu but better than what i saw.

At least it's not a 52 episodes tv series.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:23   Link #2718
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
How does it add depth to it when it practically negates what gave them the characterization in the first place?
Like I said, we could see how painful of a decision it was for them to go against something they previously stood for.

How it negates anything is what I'm wondering...

Quote:
The contrived crap they came up within the last ten minutes just isn't enough for me to wholeheartedly accept that essentially everything what they went through in the first series is literally just a plot device to justify a plot point in the second.

No, that's degrading your own work at this point. Ugh.
That "Contrived crap they came up with in the last ten minutes" was pretty much driving the entire storyline of this series and had frequent and various reveals building up to that.

And no, it doesn't suddenly mean that everything that happened in the first series somehow means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
What I'm trying to tell you - is that it has nothing to do with anyone's opinion in the first place.
And what I'm trying to tell you is that it does. You can't really escape that simply fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
One thing that gets me is, I'm just having a hard time trying to define what this show was "about."

Was it about a boy finding his mother? Ok, he found her. And now she's gone forever. And nothing about his journey or their encounter seems to have changed him, so how can it matter? It may have been Ao's background motivation for his actions, but that's really all you can say about it.

Was it about a boy trying to fit in on his island while fighting prejudice and hatred from those around him? Certainly seemed that way at first, but that concept got tossed as soon as Ao boarded GB.

Was it about a boy saving the world? Ok, which world? There were so many alternate histories here, keeping track of them all was a chore; especially when any of them could just instantly be erased or brought into being by the quartz gun. For that matter, given the function of the gun, I'm not sure what it even means in this series to "save" the world. No, that can't be what it was about.

So maybe it was about him finding a new family with GB and his Pied Piper teammates, and sharing this world with them? These final episodes sure gave that sense, from his words to Elena about how he wanted to be with them, to Fleur's saying she thought they were a family in the finale. But we barely got any meaningful interactions between them during the whole show. Most of their time spent together was routinely battling Secrets, rinse and repeat. And now, of course, they might not even remember Ao anymore, so the "family" theme was completely pointless and didn't amount to anything.

And that's kind of the problem here. Nothing really amounted to anything. Not the relationships, not the politics, not the numerous little plot threads that were drawn up only to be left whipping in the wind (what ever happened with theEND? I can't even remember), not the Goldilocks girls, not the concept of GB being hell for these child pilots, etc. Nothing was really developed conclusively, or given relevance beyond its own existence, and so it was all robbed of any meaning. A big bag of nothing, that's how I'd describe it.
It was essentially about all of those things. It's just that there wasn't a lot of drama to them because there never was meant to be. The original series generally had more WWII like themes and thus had more of an upfront unsubtle character drama thing going about it, that was a characteristic of that turbulent era. The second series is about Ao and the new generation and thus goes for a more contemporary political feeling and this generally meant more down to earth atmosphere lacking in any sort of drama with it's cast. The characters and various groups generally fumbled about trying to make sense of what was going on but never quite figuring it out until the end (much like real politics) and the show actively subverted typical conventional developments (Elena was just a regular girl and not Ao's sister, TheEnd disappeared within minutes of coming into the picture, Renton only appearing at the end and series lacking any actual big bad)

It's really something to be enjoyed on an intellectual level rather than an emotional level (although I still think there was plenty of emotional depth to it). I guess that fundamental difference just didn't work with some people.

Quote:
you really can't expand on your opinions, huh?
What's the magic word?

Last edited by Haak; 2012-11-21 at 15:07.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:37   Link #2719
Bombo
TSF Fans

That's all? u kidding me right!? they ruined my favorite series with "AO"....
10-/10 !!!!!!
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:59   Link #2720
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And what I'm trying to tell you is that it does. You can't really escape that simply fact.
Only for you. You can't really escape that simple fact. One's opinion doesn't change the facts, lol. Unless you really do believe that by thinking 2x2=17 you make this statement true.

I hope you'll understand eventually that no matter how much you like something - this something doesn't get any better. Cheers.

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen