AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-09, 13:38   Link #441
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
"Yes!! L-long live boys' love!!! To all the boys' love advocates across the country: I did it -- it's a boys' love victory --!"
Old 2009-11-09, 13:44   Link #442
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
"Yes!! L-long live boys' love!!! To all the boys' love advocates across the country: I did it -- it's a boys' love victory --!"
"Does he need to say it so loud?"
Old 2009-11-09, 18:29   Link #443
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
The entire brigade's birthdays were mentioned in that conversation.
What are they?
Old 2009-11-09, 19:24   Link #444
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
"Does he need to say it so loud?"
Sometimes you just gotta shout your lungs out.

(Also -- virtual cookie for you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
What are they?
Not July 7th?

Spoiler for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody:

So we learn basically nothing from that conversation, except that July 7th is, at least, not Haruhi's birthday, Kyon's, or Asahina-san's (probably). It's likely that Haruhi just doesn't care about individual birthdays because they have no historical or cultural importance. It may also be a side effect of her social awkwardness -- not having any close friends for several years, she may not "get" why remembering and celebrating others' birthdays would be special.
Old 2009-11-10, 23:32   Link #445
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
So we learn basically nothing from that conversation, except that July 7th is, at least, not Haruhi's birthday, Kyon's, or Asahina-san's (probably). It's likely that Haruhi just doesn't care about individual birthdays because they have no historical or cultural importance. It may also be a side effect of her social awkwardness -- not having any close friends for several years, she may not "get" why remembering and celebrating others' birthdays would be special.
Great point! And I suspect that this would change during the second year in which Haruhi spends time with the SOS Brigade. We already know that her social skills and empathy have improved since the time of the first Tanabata. I'm hoping that novel 10 and beyond detail this events.
Old 2009-11-10, 23:44   Link #446
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
One thing that can be inferred from BLR and Melancholy: We know that Nagato's "birthday" is most likely between the start of school and July 7th. She's supposed to be the same age as Kyon and Haruhi, was created three years ago, and was already around on the night Haruhi made ("John Smith" make) her giant tanzaku.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-10, 23:52   Link #447
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
One thing that can be inferred from BLR and Melancholy: We know that Nagato's "birthday" is most likely between the start of school and July 7th. She's supposed to be the same age as Kyon and Haruhi, was created three years ago, and was already around on the night Haruhi made ("John Smith" make) her giant tanzaku.
Her birthday is probably when Haruhi's powers first manifest. If was not in the same day, it was shortly after. There is no reason to the IDSE wait too long, if they decide to place Yuki 3 years before, they have probably placed her there as soon as they could.

Spoiler for Editor-In-Chief:
Old 2009-11-19, 23:04   Link #448
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed as good a place as any (since it relates to Haruhi)...

I've recently started watching Clannad.

10 episodes in, and the main character Tomoya makes me think a lot of what a son of Kyon and Haruhi would be like.

Tomoya seems to have Kyon's mannerisms and sense of the world around him. His moments of incredulous anger also make me think of Kyon.

On the other hand, Tomoya is a real prankster (reflecting some of Haruhi's playful energy perhaps) and he kind of takes charge in a Haruhi sort of way too. Also, the way Tomoya attaches himself to his friends reminds me of Haruhi.

What do other folks here think?
Old 2009-11-20, 03:59   Link #449
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Tomoya's "playful energy" is mostly due to his age and level of maturity. I'd say he's more like an emo Kyon with an actual sense of humor and less like Haruhi altogether.

But yeah, there really isn't anywhere to discuss this...
Old 2010-01-22, 21:54   Link #450
Triple_R
*Author

Sad to see this thread so inactive...

Well... perhaps comparing Haruhi to a classic 90s anime villain who was famous in his day might spur some conversation.

Haruhi Suzumiya ties El Hazard's Katsuhiko Jinnai for Number 2! on my Top 10 Favorite Anime Characters of All-Time list...

Here's a brief write-up on them... I plan to do a write-up for Haruhi alone in the near future...

If you recall, Yuki Nagato came in at No. 7 on my list.

Heatth was correct... Haruhi was higher up the list.
Old 2010-01-22, 22:08   Link #451
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well... so far, you get to keep your life... there's still one slot left, though, so it better be good.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what you have to say about both of these individuals. I expect a fine performance from you, so you had best not disappoint.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2010-01-24, 14:59   Link #452
Triple_R
*Author

Well... I certainly hope my write-up on Haruhi doesn't disappoint you then, Kogetsu.

Here it is, fellow Haruhiists!

This write-up is all about Haruhi.

I'd love to know what others here think of it.

It is a bit long, so be prepared for that.
Old 2010-01-25, 07:51   Link #453
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

(Wait, NUMBER 2?! You mean there's someone better than Haruhi to you? )

I can sense your love of Haruhi through that one amazing post. Really really well-written, and I don't think you missed out any personality traits and quirks in her.

I think I appreciate Haruhi more now

PS: If you can write this much for Haruhi I'll like to see who tops your list, and how much you'll write about him/her
Old 2010-01-25, 23:44   Link #454
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
(Wait, NUMBER 2?! You mean there's someone better than Haruhi to you? )
lol... Well, there's one character I like just a smidgen more than Haruhi, largely due to first impressions, to be honest.

It's extremely close among my top 3 though.

Quote:
I can sense your love of Haruhi through that one amazing post. Really really well-written, and I don't think you missed out any personality traits and quirks in her.
Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it.

Quote:

I think I appreciate Haruhi more now

PS: If you can write this much for Haruhi I'll like to see who tops your list, and how much you'll write about him/her
I'll make sure to send you a link to the No. 1 entry when I write it.
Old 2010-01-26, 00:06   Link #455
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Jeez, guys. Get a room. Talking about Haruhi is on topic, but resurrecting the thread to talk about a post about Haruhi on your blog? Not so much.
Old 2010-01-26, 00:55   Link #456
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well... I certainly hope my write-up on Haruhi doesn't disappoint you then, Kogetsu.

Here it is, fellow Haruhiists!

This write-up is all about Haruhi.

I'd love to know what others here think of it.

It is a bit long, so be prepared for that.
Have to agree with edk, you certainly did a great job of describing what you think of Haruhi, and it's nice to see someone talking passionately about the character every once in a while. Hopefully this will actually spur a discussion about her, unlike the superhero/mutant/paranormal discussion that's been going on in another character's thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters