AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 10:38   Link #101
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Honestly, the events in this episode has enough material for 3 episodes.
Plus, the flaws of having a funny side and a serious side in one episode will start to haunt Jun Maeda right now as he can't possibly pull it off all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Director Jun Maeda himself admits that the series will be rushed...

/Hangself
yeah, I wonder why they rush it so much, they not sure this show will success or what

This episode will be much better if they make it as 3-4 four episode arc and became cliffhanger of "season 1"
Old 2010-05-08, 11:25   Link #102
pampz21
ShipCore

yeah i think there rushing it too...cuz probably the next episode will be
Spoiler for Otonashi:

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2010-05-08, 11:34   Link #103
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
yeah, I wonder why they rush it so much, they not sure this show will success or what

This episode will be much better if they make it as 3-4 four episode arc and became cliffhanger of "season 1"
You just answered your own question. This series wouldn't be rushed if it was a 24/26 ep series instead it's only 13 eps so they have no choice but to rush things because of the limited time/eps. If KyoAni animated this and it was only 13 eps it still would have had the same problems, look at KyoAni's Air for example a series that was rushed as well because of the limited eps it had.
Old 2010-05-08, 11:47   Link #104
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Well, if the creators themselves admit that this show was overloaded from the start... why did they have such a big cast anyway? And the new prez is just overkill. Most characters are reduced to one line per episode (TK, Ninjagirl, Glasses Guy, Big Guy, most of the Girl Band, etc), and we are supposed to "connect" to these dudes? How exactly? The constant over the top comedy sure doesnt help in that regard.

It barely works for now, but there better be some kind of awesome twist to it all...

PS: Are you...?
Old 2010-05-08, 11:54   Link #105
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well, remember that the project was announced as a ''multimedia project'' so I guess there is/will be additional material to give everyone(?) the spotlight.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:01   Link #106
MarmoO

Am I the only one to think that Naoi is a girl? Before the death of her brother she was spending her life on playing, later her father forced her to take her brother's place. If she was a guy, then the situation would be easily explained because "he" lacked talent. But I don't think that's the case here, after she took over her brother's life she was able to reach "not that bad" level in no time. She didn't reach her brother's level because of lack of time, but she was making huge improvements, as anime implied. As a girl she didn't need to learn pottery, because her brother was supposed to take over, all she needed was to be a good material for bride (that's why she had "carefree childhood"). Also IMO her animation in flashabacks very subtly impied that she's a girl.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:12   Link #107
Tom Bombadil

They call him Naoi-kun, he also use "boku" to refer to himself, which all indicate he is male. For info on Japanese honorifics, see wiki.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:22   Link #108
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Yuri should wear a wet shirt all the time.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:23   Link #109
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
"boku" to refer to himself
Souseiseki Disagrees.

Though I don't think that Naoi-kun is a girl at all. The best description you can give him is:
Quote:
Spoiler for Evangelion:
Old 2010-05-08, 12:32   Link #110
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Remember, regular world pvp is fine, but griefing through extensive corpse camping is a bannable offense.

Anyway, Otonashi didn't really know about Naoi's situation. It's just that what he was saying, which was in response to Naoi trying to make Yuri disappear by inputting false thoughts into her through hypnotism, also applied to him (Naoi):
Don't get rid of her with some fake memory. Our lives were real! Not a single moment of them was fake! Everyone lived the best they could! We carved those memories into ourselves. Memories of living as hard as we could. No matter what kind they were, they're the life we led. Erasing them in the blink of an eye like that -- wasn't your life also real to you?!
As we can see, this is what triggered Naoi's flashback, since apparently, he had been living a lie (at least, to him it felt that way) ever since his twin brother died. Otonashi never knew of Naoi's flashback, and I don't think he was narrating it to him at the time (since Naoi said: "Like you would know"). His words were just a generalization of everyone's life stories. After all, even Naoi acknowledged that everyone here had lived tragic lives. Personally, I think this plot point will lead to Otonashi recovering a little from his amnesia, and will likely open up a few paths into Kanade's backstory too (notice her widening her eyes when Otonashi said: "Because you're here too").
Old 2010-05-08, 12:38   Link #111
Xacual

Personally I think most of the Otonashi's behavior in the end was just because of his amnesia and not really knowing why he is in that world to begin with. So it must have really pissed him off to see Naoi / Ayato using hypnosis to erase them. Also I think the ending showed that Naoi /Ayato did pass on, what that means for the SSS and Kanade, I don't know.

Also I think the reason they didn't gun Otonashi down was because Kanade took them out. At least that's what it looked like to me.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2010-05-08, 12:41   Link #112
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

so what would happen is naoi try his Geass on Otonashi?
Old 2010-05-08, 12:41   Link #113
MarmoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
They call him Naoi-kun, he also use "boku" to refer to himself, which all indicate he is male. For info on Japanese honorifics, see wiki.
They don't have to know.
As for "boku", are you kidding me? How many anime have you watched?
Old 2010-05-08, 12:58   Link #114
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Well, if the creators themselves admit that this show was overloaded from the start... why did they have such a big cast anyway? And the new prez is just overkill. Most characters are reduced to one line per episode (TK, Ninjagirl, Glasses Guy, Big Guy, most of the Girl Band, etc), and we are supposed to "connect" to these dudes? How exactly? The constant over the top comedy sure doesnt help in that regard.

It barely works for now, but there better be some kind of awesome twist to it all...

PS: Are you...?
That prez needed at least 2 episodes, dude the turd went down faster than tenshi and he was supposed to be the next level?
Clogging up 11 minutes with the gang playing majong was just overkill.
The cast is big enough to the point that they can start their own clubs that in itself is a problem. Durarara has a similar cast size yet just to cover 8 characters they have eaten up 15 episodes.

The dimension witch appears!

PS: NO.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:41   Link #115
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
For all it is worth, I believe the emphasis was more like a matter of observation of the facts, since I see lot of people jumping on the gun due to the rather not so subtle mood done (hence why I mentioned that the so called "depressed" scene was Otonashi's narration and interpretation).
Well, the director failed it this time since most people here don't feel sympathetic on SSS this episode. I give them my sympathy, especially Yuri here because they actually hold back on the normal students.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:45   Link #116
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

If Naoi had hypnotised EVERYONE else, and actually there were no NPCs at all, then that would be cool. But I doubt it.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:57   Link #117
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So this is the feeling of running off a cliff...huh?

It was wow, wow, wow, awesome... then wth....

We have some lovely moments of Tenshi that her camp must have drooled over, then a hundred points for Yuri 's cool moment and fan services. And the only thing i have in my mind now is: how weird the second half of the episode turned out to be... The plot was quite solid in last episode, but now full of holes like Swiss cheese. I can't even bother to list out all absurd turn of events since they are everywhere.

Good Lord. I feel like a condensation of Endless Eight desperation just hit me again. Don't tell me that the success of ep 5 made the director rushing up to Tenshi past first before going back to few more slow fillers.

Edit1: and i have to complaint that the OP spoil up the whole episode content too. I thought it supports to be misleading at first.... The AB director board really shot their own feet there

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-08 at 14:26.
Old 2010-05-08, 14:29   Link #118
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
[...] Good Lord. I feel like a condensation of Endless Eight desperation just hit me again. Don't tell me that the success of ep 5 made the director rushing up to Tenshi past first before going back to few more slow fillers.
I think we are a bit short on episodes to have any time left for "filler"

Although, hey its Angel Beats, so it fits perfectly. Lets just put the final epic Tenshi vs. Yuri battle into episode 13 first half, then rush to otonashi's past to reveal the big secret, and have a big party with some new songs from the Girl Band thrown into the last 30 seconds... Oh wait, we need some comedy in ep13, hm, lets skip the epic battle and replace it with TK doing a rap of crow song because Yui is busy fighting Hinata again. Yuri and Tenshi can just shake hands and hug afterwards. Sounds fine to me?
Old 2010-05-08, 14:44   Link #119
GDB

Quote:
That prez needed at least 2 episodes, dude the turd went down faster than tenshi and he was supposed to be the next level?
Where was it stated he was the next level? All he did was claim he was God, which obviously didn't truly mean anything (if he actually attained that level, rather than just stating he did). All he had that Kanade doesn't is hypnotism.

Quote:
Clogging up 11 minutes with the gang playing majong was just overkill.
11 minutes? Try one minute, with other characters doing other things during the same time frame.
Old 2010-05-08, 15:04   Link #120
Lostdreams

Being Student Council Prez means you're God? LOL, that's what it seemed to imply. Angel makes her own leet skills to become stronger than every1 else!
Closed Thread