Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-03-04, 14:44   Link #241
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
phew, just done submitting to imdb, I choose the title as "Byousoku 5 Senchimeetoru"...also the English (?) title is a bit confusing. should it be Centimeter or Centimetre ? and with the s or without the s (centimeters vs centimeter)
Thanks for doing that. Since imdb is an American site, it should probably be "5 Centimeters per Second" (or "5 Centimeters a Second"). The "-er" is US spelling; "-re" is Canadian, British and European.

Wikipedia has a good but preliminary article. It uses "Byôsoku 5 Centimeter" as the Japanese. Anime News Network's page is another good resource. It uses "Byousoku 5 Centimeter". Yours is more logical, theirs are easier to look at, and I think acceptably accurate.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 16:36   Link #242
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

March 2007 Newtype USA on page 60 calls it "BYOSOKU 5CM". No scanning capabilities, sorry.
Old 2007-03-04, 17:07   Link #243
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

So yes, 5 cm/sec is great...but does anyone in this thread live in Japan and has seen the film in a theatre? The release date is 03.03.07. I'm dying to hear someone's impressions of the other two parts.

Spoilers are likely...but I don't mind them =).

PD
Psychodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 17:10   Link #244
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
But wait; for the short animated feature: "It had to have won a prize prior to its first internet transmission?" As in officialy sanctioned internet transmission and not what the fans manage to scrounge up on their own? In that case Part 1 could be technically be submitted on its own for consideration, no, as long as it won some sort of prize in Japan?
As already mentioned, Yahoo's release of it was no fan venture, but also any prize would have to be from a recognised competitive film festival, not just any old prize that someone cooks up. Had it been shown at the main Japanese annual film festival or Cannes or somesuch before Yahoo got their mits on it then it might have been eligible for an Oscar, but as it is we can only hope Makoto Shinkai's distributors give their release schedule a bit more thought next time round.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 17:29   Link #245
CarpeDiem
Oha-Lucky~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This may be my R2 purchase of the year (I assume they'll dvd it) since I seriously doubt a trio of short stories of this nature will get picked up in R1.
I highly disagree; I think it's very likely that it'll get licensed in R1, especially since it's Shinkai who made the film. Shinkai's previous works have been brought to R1. I doubt that most people who bought Voices of a Distant Star were watching it for the mechs and aliens. People who buy the product were aware of how the focus of the story was a very long-distance romance and the emotions that are carried with such conditions.

Despite not having any sci-fi elements in it, 5cm is actually quite the anticipated title in America. Licensors do investigate on the internet to determine which series would be good to license, and with the attitudes surrounding 5cm, it's a candidate that's up there. Moreover since it's not an unknown director; Shinkai's work has been brought to America before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Had it been shown at the main Japanese annual film festival or Cannes or somesuch before Yahoo got their mits on it then it might have been eligible for an Oscar, but as it is we can only hope Makoto Shinkai's distributors give their release schedule a bit more thought next time round.
Though, Shinkai and Yahoo had an agreement going on with this title long before Oukashou premiered on Yahoo JP's streaming network. An Oscar would be nice, but his distributors didn't seem to be aiming towards one, so I wouldn't attribute its ineligibility to 'poor planning.'
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 18:15   Link #246
orion

That may be true. They could have just wanted to maximize their profits and not worry about Oscar glory. It certainly takes a lot of planning and money to become eligible for an Oscar on a distributor level.

Besides, short films aren't commercial ventures by definition so either way he would have had to compete with the big boys in the animated feature category imo.

Didn't ADV say something about having this title?
Old 2007-03-04, 18:18   Link #247
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, man. I'd second the opinion above, but I'm too busy laughing.

A Shinkai movie not released in North America? You must be smoking something.

I'll bet you a hundred against a cent that not only will it be released, but also that it will be released by ADV and it will be released within one year after the premiere.

PS: Though the talk about Oscar is fairly self-delusional.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 22:11   Link #248
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well then I'm happy... but until quite recently, it was almost a given that things that interested me were either never imported (or canceled if they were local). So call it an Eeyore disposition. We'll set our alarm clock accordingly

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-03-05 at 02:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 02:30   Link #249
JediNight
キズランダム

Just watched part1, and of course the animation quality was spectacular. The visuals and meaning behind much of what you see tells more of the story even than what the characters themselves say. I'm sure people have already said anything I would say about it for how good it is.

One question this leaves me now though about Makoto Shinkai -- can he tell more than "one" story? His stuff is wonderful, but this is now basically the same love story he's done twice already. Is he going to move beyond "long distance relationship angst" stories in the future?

That's my only dismay about it -- I was hoping to get a new story, but this is "more of the same" in a way. =*(
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 02:55   Link #250
ZeRoGravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
One question this leaves me now though about Makoto Shinkai -- can he tell more than "one" story? His stuff is wonderful, but this is now basically the same love story he's done twice already. Is he going to move beyond "long distance relationship angst" stories in the future?

That's my only dismay about it -- I was hoping to get a new story, but this is "more of the same" in a way. =*(
Well, I would love to see him do another movie using another theme but seriously I don't care if he does another long distance relationship movie as long it is presented beautifully. Presentation is more important than originality for me. He may used the same theme for this movie, but I felt no resemblance to his previous work while I was watching this the first time or the second.

Love is such a complicated thing that, it can be done over and over again by varies/same people and it will/can always be different.
Old 2007-03-05, 11:21   Link #251
Dop
Mmmm....

Many people have mentioned before in this thread the absence of mobile phones and the fact that this is set before such things were in common usage, and this ties in with my theory that modern technology is ruining drama.

Firstly, the hand-written letters that Takaki and Akari were sending each other are way more romantic than email or on-line chat. No question about it.

I'm going to spoiler the rest of this comment in case anyone's not seen it yet (and if not, why not?!)
Spoiler:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 13:21   Link #252
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Guys, for the last time...

The movie takes place in 1996. There was NO wide usage of mobile phones in the mid-90's!

So, no, they could not just call each other. It's not a plot hole.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 14:16   Link #253
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Even if mobile phones were in wider use at the time, kids of that age might
not have been supplied with them as they are now it appears.

I still think the story is great and eagerly look forward to the second
episode as it could be quite interesting to see if Takaki is tempted by
the new girl at school.
Old 2007-03-05, 19:32   Link #254
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Found some wallpapers. Posting them here in case anyone wants one.

There were a few more, but these are the ones I liked best.
Old 2007-03-05, 22:03   Link #255
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thank you for those - they're beautiful (needless to say).

I watched "Voices" tonight, just because 5CM made me curious to revisit it. While it's an amazing work considering the circumstances of its creation, 5CM really is a superior effort in every way, IMO. Not just visually - which you would expect - but the maturity of the storytelling as well.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 02:27   Link #256
Cal-Reflector

Here's the Theme Song, One More Chance One More Time, the Byosoku 5CM version, the official AMV, with a precious few seconds new footage from next two episodes and unaired parts. Which obviously means spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHaUdpxeME

Spoiler for Emotional Reaction:

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2007-03-06 at 12:02.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 05:04   Link #257
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
*Entering Clinical Depression* Ummm... I think my stomach just dropped out and hit the ground.

Here's the Theme Song, One More Chance One More Time, the Byosoku 5CM version, the official AMV, with a precious few seconds new footage from next two episodes and unaired parts. Which obviously means spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHaUdpxeME

Suffice to say that what I saw pretty much killed me.

Spoiler for Emotional Reaction:

Like I said, cellphones would have ended their agony a long time ago!.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-06, 05:27   Link #258
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
OH, THE BEAUTY! Isn't there some high quality version available for download online!?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 09:11   Link #259
Lost

Oh damn it dude, hide that link in a mountain of spoiler tags, please.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 09:22   Link #260
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

I also want a better version of that AMV.. YouTube leaves much to be desired.

Spoiler:
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai