AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2009-07-28, 17:07   Link #721
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Exclamation Clannad ~After Story~ Licensed!

From ANN: Sentai Filmworks has informed retailers that the following shows will be released in the fall: Clannad ~After Story~, He Is My Master, Ghost Hound, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar and Popotan.

The first DVD set will ship in October and will be sub only.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 17:54   Link #722
Dop
Mmmm....

Hurray! I bought the DVD sets of the first series, so I'll definitely be ordering the DVD sets for After Story.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 22:26   Link #723
Jimmy C

How's Sentai Flimworks' record on subtitling? Too bad ADV didn't manage to grab it, but them's the breaks when it comes to licensing. This pretty much crushes any chance of a full dub down the line.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 23:19   Link #724
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

Er, aren't they the same?
Old 2009-07-30, 06:39   Link #725
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
How's Sentai Flimworks' record on subtitling? Too bad ADV didn't manage to grab it, but them's the breaks when it comes to licensing. This pretty much crushes any chance of a full dub down the line.
In short, the translations themselves are pretty decent, (not perfect, but they get the point across) though, at least in Clannad, I did notice a couple of inconsistencies with character's names, (like Nagisa referring to Fuko as "Fu-chan" in one scene, and then "Fuko" in the next, as well as several instances of "Character referring to another character by last name or a title, yet the subtitles show his/her first name instead"...) and sometimes, I got the feeling that they didn't really proofread the subtitles, as I seemed to notice a lot more spelling-errors than I usually do.

But like Sidestep said, Sentai is essentially ADV with a different name. The only difference would be how they don't seem to be dubbing things these days, which is probably just because they can't really afford dubbing their shows at the moment. (Or they figured that releasing them as sub-only would just be more profitable.)
Old 2009-08-06, 00:17   Link #726
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

I had a dream about a possible ~AS~ OAV. It's an alternate world where Tomoya and Nagisa know each other from childhood, and he lives with her (Orphaned, siblings, whatever you want.) . Tomoya, Akio, and Sanae know what happened in the world animated in ~AS~, but nobody else does. One particular saddening scene that I remembered was Tomoya convincing Nagisa to join the Theatre Club, and also noting that she might meet a nice guy, and then proceeding to punch the wall, crying, saying "What am I doing!? I'm trying to set my own wife up with another girl.." when she leaves.

Yeah, you know you watch too much Clannad when you're dreaming up OAVs in your sleep.
Old 2009-08-06, 00:20   Link #727
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98 View Post
I had a dream about a possible ~AS~ OAV. It's an alternate world where Tomoya and Nagisa know each other from childhood, and he lives with her (Orphaned, siblings, whatever you want.) . Tomoya, Akio, and Sanae know what happened in the world animated in ~AS~, but nobody else does. One particular saddening scene that I remembered was Tomoya convincing Nagisa to join the Theatre Club, and also noting that she might meet a nice guy, and then proceeding to punch the wall, crying, saying "What am I doing!? I'm trying to set my own wife up with another girl.." when she leaves.

Yeah, you know you watch too much Clannad when you're dreaming up OAVs in your sleep.
I'd watch it.
Old 2009-08-06, 03:22   Link #728
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Twould be good.

Although maybe slightly canon breaking, but yeah.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 13:52   Link #729
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98 View Post

That's actually not a very bad idea, I would watch it as well (only because it includes my fave pairing ) I can imagine Tomoya and Nagisa having flashbacks of when they were in the AS world, kind of like Deja Vu. Well, this anime tends to stir the imaginations of everyone

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 18:57   Link #730
FhnuZoag

Now go write the fanfiction.
FhnuZoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 02:38   Link #731
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

I've never really been a fan of writing or reading fanfiction, since it's pointless. I could write it if people wanted me to, though.
Old 2009-09-01, 14:38   Link #732
dangodaikazoku
akachan dango

Any chances for a Region 2 DVD release with English subtitling? (Yes, I know Japan is region 2...)

Episode 23 (Younger Nagisa Extra)
So「夜露死苦」is supposedly "difficult" for Nagisa? I could have read that when I was seven -_-. The only complicated character in there is 露, but the 路 in it gives away its pronunciation. Well, it figures since Nagisa is an あほの子

Still love her though ^^. Just rewatched the entire series (both seasons): Nagisa SAIKOU!!
Who wants to hug Nagisa?? *raises hand*

(* For non-Chinese/Japanese people: 「夜露死苦」= "yoroshiku" written unconventionally, i.e. in kanji which are not used to write the word, but spell out "yoroshiku" when all pronounced in onyomi, i.e. "Chinese" readings. The name Tomoya used to sign the banner attached to the falling metal tub.)
dangodaikazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 14:55   Link #733
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

夜露死苦 is a sarcastic way of greeting, which is pretty much like cursing at an individual the same time you are greeting him/her. A gang slang, usually associated with Japanese biker gangs.

There are probably a number of ways to decipher 夜露死苦, but translating it literally, it pretty much means "I hope you die in anguish and exposed at night!"

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 18:14   Link #734
dangodaikazoku
akachan dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
夜露死苦 is a sarcastic way of greeting, which is pretty much like cursing at an individual the same time you are greeting him/her. A gang slang, usually associated with Japanese biker gangs.

There are probably a number of ways to decipher 夜露死苦, but translating it literally, it pretty much means "I hope you die in anguish and exposed at night!"
Thanks for your explanation . That's pretty much how I interpreted it too... a bitter death (死苦), exposed at night (夜露).

Bleh, I just happen to be listening to Rachmaninov's choral symphony "The Bells", inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's poem of the same name... oddly fitting for Tomoya's emotions in episodes 13~17 -_-
dangodaikazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 19:30   Link #735
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Yeah, i don't know japanese but i know some chinese haha...and that definitely doesn't seem like a good greeting...seems almost ironic that those 4 words are chosen lawl.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 08:24   Link #736
Nyanderful_World

Clannad is the best anime ever

Words can't really describe how much I love Clannad, especially After Story.

Perhaps it's the really delightful and "human" the characters are, the overall theme of "family" or the beautiful and sweet romance between Tomoya and Nagisa. No anime to date has succeeded at hitting me so hard. After Story was really painful to watch at times, but Im glad i went through it.

Masterpiece, 11/10
Nyanderful_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 12:56   Link #737
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I nearly didn't watch this. I almost dropped it again at the beginning. But then I wouldn't have experienced this bittersweet story, so I'm glad I went through it after all.

I didn't really like season 1 much. It was ok, but I found it rather boring most of the time. Same with the beginning of "After Story". But then they graduated and my enjoyment began. Or rather depression?

Honestly at ep. 17 I cried so hard that it caused me physical pain! And then I cried watching every episode until 22. Gosh, it's not the first time I cried because of a series, but my need for a handkerchief never has been as high before. I desperately needed one, because I couldn't see anymore what was going on on screen - I was that teared up! v_v
This series left me miserabel and hating the sadists who wrote it. It was SO DAMN HARSH. And I thought "5 centimeters per second" left me depressed.

Spoiler for whole series:

I really felt the pain and joy of Tomoya. This series touched me and broke my heart. Greatness!
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 21:28   Link #738
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangodaikazoku View Post
Still love her though ^^. Just rewatched the entire series (both seasons): Nagisa SAIKOU!!
Who wants to hug Nagisa?? *raises hand*
I want to hug Nagisa-chan

I'm re-watching this series now and I just don't know why.

Spoiler:

Why am I re-watching this again? Oh right, it's one of the best anime I've ever seen (imho) and Nagisa-chan daisuki!
Old 2010-01-04, 02:15   Link #739
Kyouria

Re-watched Clannad and FINALLY got around to watch After Story. CLANNAD ~After Story~ is now one of my most favorite series. I'm not done with it yet (episode 19).

What're your favorite, most memorable quotes from Clannad?

Mine has to do with how change is inevitable. Especially how Tomoya had a hard time facing it.. how things were changing. (It kind of reminded me of myself in the past). Also the one about love, and fireworks. I wish I had the quotes word-by-word >.<;
Kyouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 08:22   Link #740
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah I kind of remember the one about Fireworks.

Go see Misae's arc again, I think it's after Misae finds out her crush has a gf and whatshisname cat dude goes to try and cheer her up.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote