Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 07:50   Link #421
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
My yuri-detection-radar is kind of dull lately, or it's just in denial mode, but I didn't notice that high level of yuri tension you mentioned =/
Well, the director seems to have put in more scenes than necessary where Saki and Nodoka are looking at each other out of the corners of their eyes. Of course, you can choose to interpret it as rivalry or yuri.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:13   Link #422
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Btw, made a new sig, but it's too big to forum's rule no matter how I tried optimizing, so I'll just toss it here:

[edit]
Hmm.....maybe I should try resizing them first.
Not good, though. Still oversize.
Old 2009-04-14, 08:35   Link #423
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
It's not attempting to explain mahjong. Not in the slightest.
Quote:
I also fail to see where did it try to explain Mahjong.
There parts in the ep 1 for example at 16:00. Wouldn't that be explaining the game? Else there would be no need of that scene.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:40   Link #424
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

That's wrong. They just explained the special case, where the game only last for 1 han-chan, and they use additional red dora tiles. It's like explaining the meaning of playing with 1-color-go, which is also a special case (meaning people don't usually play like that).
Old 2009-04-14, 09:45   Link #425
DragonBladeX
Kancolle love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
There parts in the ep 1 for example at 16:00. Wouldn't that be explaining the game? Else there would be no need of that scene.
It was more of an explanation of the special rules for that particular game rather than the actual rules of mahjong itself. Since they are cutting the round time in half and increasing the number of 'bonus point' tiles.

And personally I think it is to show how bad Kyou is at mahjong, or at least his lacking knowledge of the rules of mahjong

Edit: Ninja'd by Duo Maxwell due to a error connection....doh!
Old 2009-04-14, 09:46   Link #426
Tiberium Wolf

Oh well... I don't play mahjong nor do any of my friends.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:53   Link #427
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Oh well... I don't play mahjong nor do any of my friends.
And I suspect many people come here didn't know about Mahjong either. My case, I didn't even touch Mahjong until I came across Saki manga. Just after reading 1st volume, I immediately know this one doesn't aim at people who're newbie to Mahjong.
Old 2009-04-14, 10:46   Link #428
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Btw, made a new sig, but it's too big to forum's rule no matter how I tried optimizing, so I'll just toss it here:

[edit]
Hmm.....maybe I should try resizing them first.
Not good, though. Still oversize.
I made it AS safe in case you want to use it here

Old 2009-04-14, 11:08   Link #429
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I made it AS safe in case you want to use it here

OMG, Cookies!! O_o
How did you do that?

[edit]
Change back to 0-Gundam avatar, since having too much Yuuki is bad for my heart .
Old 2009-04-14, 12:14   Link #430
golthin

Quote:
And I suspect many people come here didn't know about Mahjong either. My case, I didn't even touch Mahjong until I came across Saki manga. Just after reading 1st volume, I immediately know this one doesn't aim at people who're newbie to Mahjong.
Well, that is most of the western world. I knew about Mahjong because I have seen it played in other shows before. Mahjong is for Japanese as poker is for americans and Domino is for most hispanics countries. the other two big games in Japan are Go and the chess like game which i can remember the name right now but those are 1 on 1 games.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 12:24   Link #431
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Well, that is most of the western world. I knew about Mahjong because I have seen it played in other shows before. Mahjong is for Japanese as poker is for americans and Domino is for most hispanics countries. the other two big games in Japan are Go and the chess like game which i can remember the name right now but those are 1 on 1 games.
You're talking about Shougi. I still can't get into that game. It's too hard for me, even though I know about Chinese Chess.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:39   Link #432
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
You're talking about Shougi. I still can't get into that game. It's too hard for me, even though I know about Chinese Chess.
Shougi isn't really that hard when it comes to basic moves, but when you start playing with no handicaps and full drop capability... It can get pretty bad really fast. I started playing after watching Shion no Ou, though I'd been interested before, I always thought it was an extension of Chinese chess (a completely wrong assumption, btw).

Mahjong is, as golthin said, a lot more like poker or cho dai di if you know that game, since it relies on the knowledge (or lack thereof) of what everyone else has, to choose which combinations you're going to use. Needless to say, the element of luck runs strong in such games.
Old 2009-04-14, 14:48   Link #433
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
My yuri-detection-radar is kind of dull lately, or it's just in denial mode, but I didn't notice that high level of yuri tension you mentioned =/

Episode 2 as I expected, the pacing isn't so fast or too slow, and they resolved Saki's problem so we can move onto the next awesome part faster, the National Tournament (although I suspect we won't be able to see the tournament until ep 5). Nodoka's voice is kinda soft at certain point where I expected her to be much more, well, stronger or more aggressive, but I guess it's also fine. The president is as awesome as ever. If they keep on with this effect and animation quality, I don't think my heart can handle later games XD.
I like the ED better than the OP, although I'd choose both as my favorite. The ED is just, well, too cute.

As usual, I claim the 3 lolis in this show, but there is one girl that keep my interest (I bet anyone that hasn't read the manga won't notice her ):
Spoiler for Why did I need spoiler tag again? Not like you can see her.:
Whoa hey, Whoa! No....no, you don't get Koromo.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 15:50   Link #434
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Not like it will affect anything in the anime. Heck, I don't even remember seeing her face after 5 volumes.

About Kyou, I thought they left out the detail about why did he join the Mahjong club, aren't they? I didn't see they mention about it in the first ep.
Spoiler for Reason:

And Yuuki likes Tacos. Case ended.
eh I can't remember it saying why Kyou's reason for joining, was that really it?
haha well anyway good to know he's got great taste in women

lol I would probably be doing the same, men we're such a dumb and simple species
Old 2009-04-14, 17:46   Link #435
Dop
Mmmm....

I know absolutely nothing about mahjong but the gaming action is just so ridiculously over the top (strangely reminiscent of scenes of Light writing names in his notebook) it's almost endearing..

And yes, 'Rord of the Rings' - I had to look at that twice to work out that it wasn't just a overly ornate font...

You'd think Nodoka's mum would have taken her to the bra shop a long time ago...
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 17:47   Link #436
golthin

Is it me or anyone else find the president kind of sexier than the other girls with her long skirt and black stocking?
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 21:47   Link #437
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Whoa hey, Whoa! No....no, you don't get Koromo.
That's not Koromo. That's... a rather major player in the National Tournament with a relation to one of the main characters.

BTW, I don't think ep. 5 will be the NT. The manga isn't even to the finish of the preliminary rounds to get INTO the National Tournament. The captain's round hasn't finished yet, last I saw.
Old 2009-04-14, 21:58   Link #438
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Is it me or anyone else find the president kind of sexier than the other girls with her long skirt and black stocking?
Just admit it, you're attracted to her ahoge.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 22:08   Link #439
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Long skirts have their attractive point also .
And you're right about her ahoge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
That's not Koromo. That's... a rather major player in the National Tournament with a relation to one of the main characters.

BTW, I don't think ep. 5 will be the NT. The manga isn't even to the finish of the preliminary rounds to get INTO the National Tournament. The captain's round hasn't finished yet, last I saw.
No, he was talking about Koromo to response to my "claiming 3 lolis"
About National, my bad. I always thought the tournament they're playing is National Tournament.

Well, Koromo comes in second. Kunihiro Hajime is the one I set my eyes on. Loli maid, what more can I ask for?
Old 2009-04-14, 23:22   Link #440
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Just admit it, you're attracted to her ahoge.
I admit to that. She just seems so hot when she's inspired.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen