Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-17, 15:06   Link #1
Taraqs
PeeWee Mafia boss

Send a message via Yahoo to Taraqs
The way we treat people

What do you think about peoples opinions about anothers person apperance. Do you critisize them yourself.

Last edited by Taraqs; 2007-08-17 at 16:37.
Taraqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:22   Link #2
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Ok I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say, but here's my 2 cents.

Ok if I don't know anything about you I am going to judge on your looks. Yeah there's a chance the unkempt one has a better personality, but I'd rather go talk to some who keeps his/her stuff tidy. I like looking at good looking people k and who says good-looking people have to be bastards?

So it is there possibility for me to socialize with lesser looking people? hell yes! I treat everyone with at least the same etiquette out of politeness. I will talk back and am disgusted by no one... most of the time , but I won't go out of my way to talk to you unless there is no one else. xD (I get bored fast :/ ) Ok you're less on looks department develop some social skills. I'm not the hottest guy in town, but I can talk.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:31   Link #3
mrvetle

I'm not really sure what you're trying to point out either..
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:33   Link #4
Taraqs
PeeWee Mafia boss

What im trying to say is why do people judge others by there appearance. What do you think about it ,and do you judge people yourself.
Old 2007-08-17, 15:44   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraqs View Post
My view of something may be diffrent from your view but when it comes to lusting somebody do we not tend to judge them by the way they look.
I think some of the confusion is over your choice of words. Do you really mean "lusting", perhaps "liking" would be more appropriate. Maybe you should think about editing your first post.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:48   Link #6
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

I think that it's obvious that the first impression of somebody comes through your eyes and depending what you see you'll make an idea how is that person, that's unavoydable

The real problem is all those persons who doesn't want to know some more from people depending of that first impression
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:51   Link #7
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvetle View Post
I'm not really sure what you're trying to point out either..
If I don't know you I will judge you on looks. I'd rather talk to someone better looking. If you are some one of the lesser looking kind develop some social skills.

Yeah my first post was kinda weird. D:~

Oh yeah of course my opinion changes, the better I know you.
Old 2007-08-17, 15:56   Link #8
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
I might be on the more sympathetic end of the spectrum, but I can't see why the way people look or dress matters. If they dress badly, that's what they're comfortable with, or maybe they don't know how to dress any better(and yes, people do get raised unaware of how to dress properly)

And 2H, People who look bad most likely are self-conscious, and develop an inferiority complex because of it. They withdraw from socializing. Expecting them to feel comfortable socializing with the same people that's discriminating them for the way they look is too unreasonable. It's the discriminator's fault, not the anti-social's fault.
Old 2007-08-17, 15:57   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

If by "appearance" you mean clothes, well perhaps sometimes I judge a person if they come up to me wearing XXXXL shirts and numerous chains, etc.

However I don't judge people based on looks. Judging people based on something that is not under their control is rather lame, in my opinion. It's like judging them based on gender or race.

Although I guess that says a lot about the person who does it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:11   Link #10
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
And 2H, People who look bad most likely are self-conscious, and develop an inferiority complex because of it. They withdraw from socializing. Expecting them to feel comfortable socializing with the same people that's discriminating them for the way they look is too unreasonable. It's the discriminator's fault, not the anti-social's fault.
And thus they lack socializing skills and thus they can't spark my interest. Why should I go out of my why to talk to someone who can't or doesn't even want to talk back and isn't eye candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
If by "appearance" you mean clothes, well perhaps sometimes I judge a person if they come up to me wearing XXXXL shirts and numerous chains, etc.

However I don't judge people based on looks. Judging people based on something that is not under their control is rather lame, in my opinion. It's like judging them based on gender or race.

Although I guess that says a lot about the person who does it.
Yeah looks maybe bad word usage an my part(talking about my previous posts) it's basically the overall appearance. I do factor in weight though. D:
Old 2007-08-17, 16:19   Link #11
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
And thus they lack socializing skills and thus they can't spark my interest. Why should I go out of my why to talk to someone who can't or doesn't even want to talk back and isn't eye candy.
Because they're human too, and they have unique personalities and interests just like we do. You just can't tell initially because they don't show it.

You might be surprised how interesting they can be by talking to them, and you'd certainly be helping them by boosting their confidence.
Old 2007-08-17, 16:25   Link #12
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
My view of something may be diffrent from your view but when it comes to lusting somebody do we not tend to judge them by the way they look. If we are selves cannot stand the way we look then why judge somebody else. Are humans that shallow as to judge themselves when someone else can say the same for them.
What do you think about the way people treat others by there appearance rather than personality.
I am a little confused by what you mean exactly, but as far as appearances go, I try not to make a big deal out of it. If I don't know someone, and I judge them by how they look, and I don't even know how they act yet then I am already messing up. I know a lot of people at my college who care so much about looks and it drives me crazy. They talk about people behind their back (who they don't even know) and judge them by the way they look.
Looks are not everything! Everyone thinks if someone looks great then all will go well but that is a lie. If you hang around them enough and they are mean and don't give a rip about you then the good looks they have are useless. I see someone who is good looking AND nice as a bonus. But the way we look is most of the time what we got (unless you do stuff like plastic surgery or whatever) so I try not to judge people on something they cannot change. People can change the way they act, but most of the time people cannot change how they look . . . . that's my 2 cents . . .
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:38   Link #13
Taraqs
PeeWee Mafia boss

I watered down the first post alot so you could all understand.
Old 2007-08-17, 16:41   Link #14
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
I am a little confused by what you mean exactly, but as far as appearances go, I try not to make a big deal out of it. If I don't know someone, and I judge them by how they look, and I don't even know how they act yet then I am already messing up. I know a lot of people at my college who care so much about looks and it drives me crazy. They talk about people behind their back (who they don't even know) and judge them by the way they look.
Looks are not everything! Everyone thinks if someone looks great then all will go well but that is a lie. If you hang around them enough and they are mean and don't give a rip about you then the good looks they have are useless. I see someone who is good looking AND nice as a bonus. But the way we look is most of the time what we got (unless you do stuff like plastic surgery or whatever) so I try not to judge people on something they cannot change. People can change the way they act, but most of the time people cannot change how they look . . . . that's my 2 cents . . .
Well that's nothing new and I do agree with you Though cut those people some slack they aren't all gamers and watch anime or listen to music where you can actually talk about hence they talk about the people around them. Around my age most ain't total bitches anymore. Or is it just the country I live in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
Because they're human too, and they have unique personalities and interests just like we do. You just can't tell initially because they don't show it.

You might be surprised how interesting they can be by talking to them, and you'd certainly be helping them by boosting their confidence.
Yeah that's just the way I am, I'm not the supporting type a guy,though I do waste some money on charity(ok like $20 a month still somethin. D: ). I'm weak against sad stories and pictures). One of the many character flaws I have. I do believe that people need to stop looking for help and doing things for them selfs. For some reason I can never stop that way of thinking.
Old 2007-08-17, 16:56   Link #15
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Yeah that's just the way I am, I'm not the supporting type a guy,though I do waste some money on charity(ok like $20 a month still somethin. D: ). I'm weak against sad stories and pictures). One of the many character flaws I have. I do believe that people need to stop looking for help and doing things for them selfs. For some reason I can never stop that way of thinking.
Well everyone has their flaws I guess

But some people don't have the knowledge to help themselves. They feel overwhelmed and trapped. Most of these people weren't raised "properly"... not being told to do their homework every day, not being forced to learn how to earn their own money or pay their own bills.

Technically that helped kids that DID have all of those things become independent... I think that if one didn't learn from their parents, they should have proper guidance later on instead of everyone telling them they can do everything on their own if they put their mind to it. They weren't raised to have it in them... it's pretty unfair.
Old 2007-08-17, 16:57   Link #16
Fome

It's funny that most of us would agree that you shouldn't judge others based on appearances, but we enjoy watching Anime in which all important characters are attractive. The fact that anime has so many stick-thin people only exacerbates unrealistic expectations for how people should look.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:57   Link #17
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:53.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 17:03   Link #18
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Well that's nothing new and I do agree with you Though cut those people some slack they aren't all gamers and watch anime or listen to music where you can actually talk about hence they talk about the people around them. Around my age most ain't total bitches anymore. Or is it just the country I live in?
Yes I get what you are saying but when they judge somebody and start making fun of them in a crude manner, I don't find that appealing at all. It is one thing to judge someone in your mind, but then go and make fun of them behind thier back and say terrible things about someone based on thier looks??? It seems a little mean and self-righteous if you ask me. I wouldn;t really care if someone was judging me in their mind but I would be very upset if someone was making crude jokes about me in front of other people (even though they didn't know me). I'm not saying I am perfect becasue I am far from it. You can add me to the list of people who have judged someone in their lifetime based on looks, but I would never make fun of someone becasue of they way they looked.
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 17:18   Link #19
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I have a different approach to dealing with many sorts of people. However, I try not to judge based upon looks. I have had the opportunity to meet people that dress in an unusual manner and may act differently, but end up being some of the nicest people I have had the honour of knowing. Basing your decision on how a person looks is a cold way of observing someone. There is an opinion that you can determine how someone is within the first two-minutes of talking to them. I do not fully believe that as some people might be in a different state-of-mind when you are talking to them. Quintessentially, a person might act differently towards you when you meet him/her for the first time opposed to meeting him/her a second time.

Therefore, it is not right not judge someone based on their looks. It takes time to judge someone. This is a fundamental problem with our society - based on looks rather than personality. At the same time, most of us know that looks does not equal a better personality.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 17:19   Link #20
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

We all judge others by their looks to some degree. Anyone whos tells you otherwise is either lying and is full of shit, or they're just unaware of it.

As long as we restrict our judgements about another's appearance to his/her appearance alone, there's no problem with it. However, should one superimpose his/her judgements on others' appearance to other unrelated aspects of their existence, it'll become a problem.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote