AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-31, 14:22   Link #61
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Monet's ability is too gruesome for her to be a crew member. Besides didn't Oda already say that someone with a flying ability would never be in the crew?
when and has Oda repeat it recently?
Old 2012-10-31, 14:37   Link #62
ZeroForever

clearly monet will joined perona in the traumatized pirate fangirls of zoro organization to make sure he has a willing harem later, in order to make sanji commit suicide to save women kind.

anyways now that the speculation is out of the way...

solid chapter, fun interaction with the others and zoro is still badass but given how strong he is will there be any actual serious challenge for him any time soon?
Old 2012-10-31, 14:53   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
when and has Oda repeat it recently?

And you think Oda will go back on his own words so easily (aside from bending the rules somewhat with Sanji/Robin's gliding abilities)? Anyway, I'm actually searching for the source interview right now, so hang onto your hats!

In the meantime, why not also check out the SBS thread? Some interesting info has popped up there.....

Edit: Okay, found the interview in question. And here's the quote in question:

Quote:
Q: Is there a rule inside your work?
A: They won't fly! (laugh) Because if they fly, they won't need ships anymore. Also, they'd be able to do anything... I'm really focusing on the aspect of sailing the seas. Also, I had a sorcerer in a short story once, but I won't be using that in the series. Any preposterous situations are all created by the devil fruits. That one point is rather supernatural, but everything else is normal.

And again, he has bent his own rules since then (we have haki to add on to those "preposterous situations" now, don't we? ), but he hasn't outright forsaken them.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-10-31 at 15:04.
Old 2012-10-31, 15:36   Link #64
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

If sailing the seas is Oda priority, just having one character who can fly doesn't mean the characters won't need ships anymore.
Also the interview itself doesn't mention if the don't fly rule is only for the main characters or the whole OP universe. If the latter he has already violate it.

Quote:
Q: So how many characters will gather in the main group?
A: I don't know! (laugh) As an ideal, I would like about 10 people. Right now, I officially have 4 people. Even 4 people are hard to handle, because they all want to do their own little things.
this would make it around when Sanji joined which would put it about 10yrs ago. If Oda hasn't repeat the no-flying rule recently i would take that what he said in the interview with a grain of salt. Lots have change since then.

PS. with Brooks soul seperation ability does that violated his no fly pledge?

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-10-31 at 16:11.
Old 2012-10-31, 17:18   Link #65
Rainbowman

So anything about this chapter related to Halloween?
Old 2012-10-31, 18:09   Link #66
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Isn't the flying thing referring to general transportation rather than powers? Since he says it would mKe ships obsolete. Which a flying crewmember wouldn't do.
Old 2012-10-31, 18:10   Link #67
ShrewOne

Quote:
Q: Is there a rule inside your work?
A: They won't fly! (laugh) Because if they fly, they won't need ships anymore. Also, they'd be able to do anything... I'm really focusing on the aspect of sailing the seas. Also, I had a sorcerer in a short story once, but I won't be using that in the series. Any preposterous situations are all created by the devil fruits. That one point is rather supernatural, but everything else is normal.
Sounds like to me he meant all of them flying around like in DBZ. Obviously if they did that in One Piece they wouldn't need ships. Having just a couple being able to fly doesn't take away the aspect of sailing.
Old 2012-10-31, 18:31   Link #68
AdventSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Still, I really hate the idea of Zoro supposedly not going all out simply because Monet is female. Sanji's chauvinism/sexism is somewhat funny (since his is under a veil of chivalry...even if he objectifies women worse than ever), but Zoro's, if it exists, would go beyond the threshold of comedy and becoming downright demeaning.
Agreed. It seems to fit Sanji well as part of his character and comedic effect, but I wouldn't like to see Zoro fitting that characteristic either..
Old 2012-10-31, 18:34   Link #69
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

If I didn't know I was reading Once Piece, then I would've boarded the Zoro x Tashigi ship
Old 2012-10-31, 19:16   Link #70
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Isn't the flying thing referring to general transportation rather than powers? Since he says it would mKe ships obsolete. Which a flying crewmember wouldn't do.
In that respect, Monet would be disqualified since she should be able to simply freeze the ocean (similar to aokiji's method of travel).
Old 2012-10-31, 19:39   Link #71
ninetail1989
Dreamer

i am still sure n convince Monet will join the SH...

Predicting something like this to happen in the next few chapter or at the end of this Arc..

SH manage to corner and Capture CC.....Money regain her cool...put up a stand and try to save CC.....however clearly Injured/OutMatched/Out Numbered....she also said that she will not failed as failure only means death for her...(maybe a cool ass flash back of monet will be shown)......However due to her Injury she collapsed.....and surprisingly Zoro beat Sanji to grab her before she fall.....Next thing u know...Monet wake up in SH ship..having her wounds treated by Chopper....n Luffy promised that he will protect everyone....

Monet will be also a good addition to Monet x Zoro...monet will be the one Chasing after Zoro....thats would be kinda nice to see....Girl chasing a Guy... XD
Old 2012-10-31, 19:41   Link #72
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
If I didn't know I was reading Once Piece, then I would've boarded the Zoro x Tashigi ship
i am still on the Zoro X Ghost girl ship.
Old 2012-10-31, 20:46   Link #73
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Ah, ah, ah. You can't use Sanji and Robin as examples because their midair techniques are more along the lines of gliding rather than flying. Notice that we haven't seen either of them use their so-called "flying" techniques travel long distances, now. Geez, this reminds me that I really have to find the source of that interview where Oda mentioned that "no flying member" fact.....
Well what i'm thinking of is like CP9 arc where they needed to travel across the ledge to fight.

Sanji could just run over there, maybe carry someone or many over with him.

AND maybe Robin could now too.

I'm sure Luffy could Rocket himself across as well.

There is no longer such a risky situation as jumping down an endless pit to hit a flying train. Heck Chopper could go monster point and chuck them over one by one, lol.

Just saying that flying person doesn't really add much to crew. Sure maybe Sanji doesn't want to run along the sky from one island to another, but I bet a flyer wouldn't want to fly from one island to another as well.
Old 2012-10-31, 22:19   Link #74
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm not buying the Monet for nakama thing. There has been lots of evidence of her being a villain and zero evidence of her possibly becoming friendly with the strawhats.
Old 2012-11-01, 00:27   Link #75
chancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm not buying the Monet for nakama thing. There has been lots of evidence of her being a villain and zero evidence of her possibly becoming friendly with the strawhats.
Yes. It is completely different from Robin's case
Old 2012-11-01, 06:08   Link #76
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I agree, it's completely different.
Old 2012-11-01, 06:48   Link #77
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I agree, it's completely different.
He/She was being sarcastic .

Any way considering her personality she doesn't really fit with the crew, remember she mistreated/experimented on the children never once regretting it. Robin obviously did regret most of her actions. Also she saved Luffy and helped the straw hats a couple of times. Monet never has nor does it look like she ever will (she probably hates Zoro as well).
My money is still on dragon kid.

Perfect Zoro being a bad ass chapter, hope we don't have to wait long for another.
It also appears as though Zoro eclipses Sanji (or Sanji has been holding back a lot).
Old 2012-11-01, 07:08   Link #78
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
He/She was being sarcastic .

Any way considering her personality she doesn't really fit with the crew, remember she mistreated/experimented on the children never once regretting it. Robin obviously did regret most of her actions. Also she saved Luffy and helped the straw hats a couple of times. Monet never has nor does it look like she ever will (she probably hates Zoro as well).
To be fair, we didn't know that Robin did not indiscriminately kill several other characters until much later in the story arc (Funky-Curls-Dude and Hawkman were both assumed dead until they weren't).

We do not know why Monet is doing what she is doing. We do know that she has been ordered to accomplish these specific tasks, but we do not know why she was ordered or who ordered her. To put it into perspective, until Kuma was revealed to be a spy, many of his actions were deemed quite heinous, but after the revelations his actions took on a new light.

Additionally, how many 1000s of pirates and marines and innocents did Perona directly or indirectly destroy and rape for Moria, but now we treat her like the little sister we always wanted.

In the end, Oda can do whatever he wants to Monet to make her acceptable or unacceptable. Truthfully, I do not care either way (I would prefer a more humanoid female character joining the crew), but I am willing to acknowledge that Monet's current actions are not as damning as others seem to believe.
Old 2012-11-01, 07:28   Link #79
chancs

Quote:
To be fair, we didn't know that Robin did not indiscriminately kill several other characters until much later in the story arc (Funky-Curls-Dude and Hawkman were both assumed dead until they weren't).

We do not know why Monet is doing what she is doing. We do know that she has been ordered to accomplish these specific tasks, but we do not know why she was ordered or who ordered her. To put it into perspective, until Kuma was revealed to be a spy, many of his actions were deemed quite heinous, but after the revelations his actions took on a new light.

Additionally, how many 1000s of pirates and marines and innocents did Perona directly or indirectly destroy and rape for Moria, but now we treat her like the little sister we always wanted.

In the end, Oda can do whatever he wants to Monet to make her acceptable or unacceptable. Truthfully, I do not care either way (I would prefer a more humanoid female character joining the crew), but I am willing to acknowledge that Monet's current actions are not as damning as others seem to believe.
If at all Monet enter's the crew, their power will certainly have a boost. As for Robin, she had not killed Luffy when he was defeated by....damn I forgot his name...whatever. That atleast showed her kind nature.
Old 2012-11-01, 07:29   Link #80
mrShady

Quote:

Yes but these are children we are talking about, children who where ala Hans and Gretel kidnapped by a deranged scientist and experimented on. All these kids were doomed to die and she actively participated in this.
There's a lot Luffy overlooks but I can't see him ever accepting any of her reasons. Also these last few chapters she's looking more and more insane. But no I can't debunk the possibility, though it would feel really forced and morally wrong to redeem such a character. This aint no Naruto right?
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion