AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-11-03, 14:49   Link #1101
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
I'm guessing 2 episodes max until Shiroe and friend crush Hamelin?
Shiroe is my favorite kind of character: he's just a nice guy, with some really awesome skills. He's also the type that usually takes the abuse he gets, but if you abuse his friends, you will learn fear.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 15:19   Link #1102
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
He's also the type that usually takes the abuse he gets, but if you abuse his friends, you will learn fear.
I don't think his the guy that will take an abuse and just go it.

Look at episode 2. Those who tried to PK them are dead. Those who always bugs for his help are ignored. He even went solo after the DTP dissolved.

I think his the silent type that if you provoke him. You will get what you wanted.
Old 2013-11-03, 15:30   Link #1103
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes. But again, once he got the basics of fighting, he stopped. Or if not stopped outright, slowed to a crawl because it ceased to be a priority.
Yes, because when I say "there are a lot of basics to figure out" I do mean "there are a lot of basics to figure out." Not just combat. Not just food. Everything.

Thinking about the details of the world can wait until you've gotten a grasp on the basics.

Which is convenient, because several episodes of nothing but infodumping might not fall in good taste with everyone.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 16:10   Link #1104
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
This is not yet confirmed.

Its just assuming that because its NHK that it will automatically has second season. BUT! it has high chance that it will have one. But at the moment. There is not enough material for second season.
We know it is a two cour series but it will be crazy if they going to add another 25 eps but with all of the material that the author, i might happened.
Old 2013-11-03, 16:26   Link #1105
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
We know it is a two cour series but it will be crazy if they going to add another 25 eps but with all of the material that the author, i might happened.
i wish maouyuusha had this kind of support.
Old 2013-11-03, 16:44   Link #1106
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Look at episode 2. Those who tried to PK them are dead. Those who always bugs for his help are ignored. He even went solo after the DTP dissolved. I think his the silent type that if you provoke him. You will get what you wanted.
No, I think that he will avoid conflict as long as it only involves himself. He didn't exactly go solo after DTP dissolves. He's an enchanter, so he literally cannot fight solo. He's got some really OP moves, like Thorn Bind Hostage, but by himself, he cannot fight. He's not really a loner, because he seems to crave contact, but is very awkward. I think that's why he choose that class. It's a class anyone would love to have in their team, so he though that he wouldn't need to approach people, that they would come to him. Sadly, that did not turn out as he had hoped.

My point is that I think he's someone who doesn't value himself very much, but values his friends a whole lot.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 16:49   Link #1107
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's more of a "one thing at a time" than "do what you can" situation. As I said, they could - easily - be doing more. But they aren't, in part because other things demand their attention, in part because they haven't seriously thought about it.

Well lets go over what we know about Shiroe really quick. Shiroe is a senior at a university studying engineering. So he is around 22 years old and is book smart. He should have a basis for knowing physics. I agree, he could be methodically experimenting to find out just what they have actually gotten themselves into. but lets look at some other aspects about Shiroe.

This is copy-pasted from the wiki
Spoiler for Log Horizon Wiki:

Shiroe is a gamer. This is obvious but he loves games. i don't think its a stretch to say that even he is viewing this as a game. Maybe getting back to the 'real world' isn't his first priority. He was just thrown into a world that he has been obsessed over since middle school. Thats a world that he has invest a large portion of his life into over the past 10-ish years.

Finally, Shiroe is an introvert. He avoids guilds and other people because he doesn't want to be the answer to everyone's problems. If he were to 'discover why we are here' then he would be nothing but the answer to everyone's problems. Before everyone would ask him for help with the game, if he was the one who found out what the world actually is then everyone would ask him for help in getting back to the real world. Thats exactly what he doesn't want.
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 17:19   Link #1108
Vocah

Am I the only one who would love to be in a situation like this? Hell, I probably would even volunteer to be in a situation like in SAO ^^
Vocah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 17:33   Link #1109
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
No, I think that he will avoid conflict as long as it only involves himself. He didn't exactly go solo after DTP dissolves. He's an enchanter, so he literally cannot fight solo. He's got some really OP moves, like Thorn Bind Hostage, but by himself, he cannot fight. He's not really a loner, because he seems to crave contact, but is very awkward. I think that's why he choose that class. It's a class anyone would love to have in their team, so he though that he wouldn't need to approach people, that they would come to him. Sadly, that did not turn out as he had hoped.
He choose enchanter because he likes challenge. Its a class that can't do anything alone but has lots of possibilities and he loves challenge and researching. He likes adventuring and learning things inside Elder Tale.

He is shy, chief Nyanta even said that. He is socially awkward and introvert. He might care for his friends but he is selfish too. He rescued Serara not because he wants to save her but because he is bored as hell and he doesn't have anything to do. He doesn't want to turn into like the people moping around Akiba and doing nothing and even result in PK'ing.

And as for Thorn Bind Hostage(TBH) its not OP skill. Sorcerer can dish it out a lot easily and it doesn't need others to help. He is just good at using his character which make it look OP but its not.
Old 2013-11-03, 18:14   Link #1110
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooZulu View Post
Well lets go over what we know about Shiroe really quick. Shiroe is a senior at a university studying engineering. So he is around 22 years old and is book smart. He should have a basis for knowing physics. I agree, he could be methodically experimenting to find out just what they have actually gotten themselves into. but lets look at some other aspects about Shiroe.

Shiroe is a gamer. This is obvious but he loves games. i don't think its a stretch to say that even he is viewing this as a game. Maybe getting back to the 'real world' isn't his first priority. He was just thrown into a world that he has been obsessed over since middle school. Thats a world that he has invest a large portion of his life into over the past 10-ish years.

Finally, Shiroe is an introvert. He avoids guilds and other people because he doesn't want to be the answer to everyone's problems. If he were to 'discover why we are here' then he would be nothing but the answer to everyone's problems. Before everyone would ask him for help with the game, if he was the one who found out what the world actually is then everyone would ask him for help in getting back to the real world. Thats exactly what he doesn't want.
I don't think Shiroe is that bad. He just dislike people using him purely for their own benefit. But if someone really needs help he will do what he can to help them. That is why he likes helping newbies, or at least doesnt mind them.

About getting out from the world, lets compare with SAO.
Spoiler for comparison to Sword Art Online:

So how should they start looking for clues?
There are maybe thousands ans thousands square miles to search through. If one of the largest and influential Guild in Elder Tale were unable to do much to find any clues how do you think Shiroe can find it easily? Searching for some kind of clues in a wide world takes time, resources and manpower, and is probably impossible for just four people to do, even when using Gryffon, and Shiroe so far has almost no persuasive power to influence other people, especially since he is guildless. So, he did what he can do at that moment.

And no, he doesnt view this as a game, Shiroe accepted that this is their reality now, he just thought that they were bound by game rules. That is why and the end of each preview he said "This is our reality." And if he just consider this as just a game he probably couldnt care less about saving Serara

Last edited by monir; 2013-11-04 at 04:40. Reason: All comparison to other anime must have clearly marked spoiler tags.
darksassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 18:49   Link #1111
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
He is shy, chief Nyanta even said that. He is socially awkward and introvert. He might care for his friends but he is selfish too. He rescued Serara not because he wants to save her but because he is bored as hell and he doesn't have anything to do. He doesn't want to turn into like the people moping around Akiba and doing nothing and even result in PK'ing.
I dont think that is the main reason Shiroe decided to rescue Serara, more like an excuse to himself. He is reluctant to help a guild even though he want to. He felt like he doesnt deserve to lend them a hand. So he used "boredom" as an excuse to justify himself helping the guild

He likes helping others, he just dont want others to depend on him solely for their own benefit.

Think about it, why does Shiroe, who is reluctant to join any guild, is very close to Crescent Moon whose main purpose is to help beginners, compared to others?
Old 2013-11-03, 21:24   Link #1112
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I can't remember who have done the comparison with Phillip Jose Farmer's "Riverworld", but the more I watch the episodes and try to get some clues from them and various sources the more I can see why the poster have brought up "Riverworld".
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 21:36   Link #1113
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:

He's a gamer, but that doesn't mean he loves games. He loves Elder Tale, which is a game and I wouldn't call him obsessed just because of his encyclopediac knowledge. He doesn't like guilds and like a good person, he doesn't believe that he had the right to help others.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 22:13   Link #1114
Quol
That Guy

I'm not exactly sure what we are talking about anymore... In the end shiroe is trying to balance finding a way to escape with living his life. Also for people who ask shiroe is trying to find a way out, its not a matter of personality or personal will. All anime characters that get trapped in a virtual world-like situation will try to escape. (ie: SAO, yugioh, or btoom!)

Last edited by Quol; 2013-11-03 at 22:24.
Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 03:27   Link #1115
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
More like highly likely to happen.
We're talking NHK here. They'll animate as long as there's source material, and author is willing.

Only reason Twelve Kingdom second season stopped with only 5 episodes is because it was clear the author wasn't going to provide any more new materials for years to come.

Quote:
I'm going to predict you're gonna feel really silly in less than a month for posting this.
Shiroe is far more aggressively active and initiative taking than you can possibly imagine.
Old 2013-11-04, 04:40   Link #1116
VooDooZulu
13th level Googlemancer

I might take my words back, and i believe i came off too harsh saying "Shiroe thinks this is a game". Because that has the wrong connotation. You can still believe something is a game and want to help people in the game, and you can also have morals and values inside of a game. It is clearly stated that Shiroe loves to explore and find out the mechanics of this world. In my view that is 'playing the game'. I see Shiroe as someone who (at the moment) just wants to learn more and live life one day at a time.

And blackwhite67, He has been playing the game for some 10 years. That's why i say he is obsessive about it, not because he has encyclopedic knowledge of it.

As for helping others, from what i have seen in the anime he even avoids helping newbies. So far he has helped two newbies and that was on a situation basis. He doesn't like people using him, but he also doesn't like helping people. He was reluctant to help out the newbies and even then he didn't really know why he was doing it, it was just on a whim. That's what i got out of it.

Now this conversation has mostly been about Shiroe. Lets just say, hypothetically, if we were to try to empirically test what is going on what would we do? we know that this once was a computer game, not a virtual reality. My hypothesis is that they are stuck in some type of computer simulation, my only proof is that they have contextual menu's. If they are NOT in a computer simulation then they have had medical cyborg-like implants or have discovered magic in order to pull up those menu's.

So we could test the extent of the computer's knowledge. We already know that gravity is in effect, but that it "doesn't hurt as much as it should" Does this mean it doesn't hurt as much as real life? or that it doesn't do as much HP damage as it should inside of the game? Anyway we could test to see the acceleration of Gravity by dropping a large object from multiple different heights and timing them. Though this is a simple process that any computer could replicate.

I believe to really test the limits of a computer we would have to either put a large strain on the physics engine of the machine, the problem with that is two fold. First, if you put a huge strain on the system you could crash it- possibly killing everyone. Second, because you are part of the machine would you experience the lag that such strain would create? Anyways an 'easy' way to test this would be to take a lot of objects (preferably bouncy or semi-solid to really test the engine) have a large number of people throw them at an object. With all of these objects bouncing off of each other the physics engine would be put under massive strain to calculate their trajectories.

Another test would be the computers encyclopedia of scientific knowledge. If you could find a chemistry major you could ask him to preform as many chemical tests that knows. a failure on the chemistry part of the experiments would prove you are inside of a machine.

You could even pull a Columbus and just try setting sail in one direction and hoping you find something. if you die from starvation then you just teleport back. Much less risky than it was years ago.

Those are the places i would start, if we are talking about trying to 'find a way out'
VooDooZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 05:01   Link #1117
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'm going to predict you're gonna feel really silly in less than a month for posting this.
Shiroe is far more aggressively active and initiative taking than you can possibly imagine.
Since I haven't read the novel, I am going to predict that the author is using this arc (volume) as a catalyst for build up Shiroe's resolve to become Tamayura more agressive and reforming Akiba into a better place. It probabily take him another book or two for him to began exploring the world for real.

Anyway, it's not that I dislike the current pacing, although I have to remark that it seems to took him quite a while to get him to made up his mind (months in-universe). I imagine standard shonen hero would take only few days to get to that point, you know, for being young and hotblooded and all that. Of course I am ok with Shiroe not being like that, however, it does make him come off as highly intellegent and analytical but indecisive fellow.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 05:03   Link #1118
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
I don't think Shiroe is that bad. He just dislike people using him purely for their own benefit. But if someone really needs help he will do what he can to help them. That is why he likes helping newbies, or at least doesnt mind them.

About getting out from the world, lets compare with SAO.
Spoiler for comparison to Sword Art Online:
Spoiler for SAO:

Quote:
So how should they start looking for clues?
I said it before: NPC and physics. It doesn't matter if it doesn't yield a solution immediately.

And again, my point isn't necessarily that they were wrong to put it on the backburner. It's that they choose not to pursue the mystery.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 05:41   Link #1119
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I might take my words back, and i believe i came off too harsh saying "Shiroe thinks this is a game". Because that has the wrong connotation. You can still believe something is a game and want to help people in the game, and you can also have morals and values inside of a game. It is clearly stated that Shiroe loves to explore and find out the mechanics of this world. In my view that is 'playing the game'. I see Shiroe as someone who (at the moment) just wants to learn more and live life one day at a time.

And blackwhite67, He has been playing the game for some 10 years. That's why i say he is obsessive about it, not because he has encyclopedic knowledge of it.

As for helping others, from what i have seen in the anime he even avoids helping newbies. So far he has helped two newbies and that was on a situation basis. He doesn't like people using him, but he also doesn't like helping people. He was reluctant to help out the newbies and even then he didn't really know why he was doing it, it was just on a whim. That's what i got out of it.

Now this conversation has mostly been about Shiroe. Lets just say, hypothetically, if we were to try to empirically test what is going on what would we do? we know that this once was a computer game, not a virtual reality. My hypothesis is that they are stuck in some type of computer simulation, my only proof is that they have contextual menu's. If they are NOT in a computer simulation then they have had medical cyborg-like implants or have discovered magic in order to pull up those menu's.

So we could test the extent of the computer's knowledge. We already know that gravity is in effect, but that it "doesn't hurt as much as it should" Does this mean it doesn't hurt as much as real life? or that it doesn't do as much HP damage as it should inside of the game? Anyway we could test to see the acceleration of Gravity by dropping a large object from multiple different heights and timing them. Though this is a simple process that any computer could replicate.

I believe to really test the limits of a computer we would have to either put a large strain on the physics engine of the machine, the problem with that is two fold. First, if you put a huge strain on the system you could crash it- possibly killing everyone. Second, because you are part of the machine would you experience the lag that such strain would create? Anyways an 'easy' way to test this would be to take a lot of objects (preferably bouncy or semi-solid to really test the engine) have a large number of people throw them at an object. With all of these objects bouncing off of each other the physics engine would be put under massive strain to calculate their trajectories.

Another test would be the computers encyclopedia of scientific knowledge. If you could find a chemistry major you could ask him to preform as many chemical tests that knows. a failure on the chemistry part of the experiments would prove you are inside of a machine.

You could even pull a Columbus and just try setting sail in one direction and hoping you find something. if you die from starvation then you just teleport back. Much less risky than it was years ago.

Those are the places i would start, if we are talking about trying to 'find a way out'
"They have menus therefore they must be stuck in a gigantic computer!"

Let's not completely ignore the magic element. In a world where governing laws are not ours.
At the point they are in anther world, where all five senses exist, as well as laws of physics, it's already entirely unfeasible by modern science.

The phenomenon is completely supernatural. At the point it's supernatural, trying to force a modern scientific logic on it and constraint it to modern feasibility is utterly implausible.

If they're in a computer, it'd have to be ALIEN technology. Or you know, magic.

Let's make one thing clear, trapping people from all corners of the entire Earth, hundreds of thousands of them, in a computer world, and making hundreds of millions of NPCs in that world sentient, is not possible without technology at the level of Galactic Federation from Star Trek.
Since this is 2018, that would equal to Alien Technology.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-11-04 at 05:55.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 05:51   Link #1120
Breimoon

For a so advanced level of technology it should be a super quantum computer , and even then it would require a pc so big i don't know where the hell they could fit it. Not really an expert in things like this, but some scientists made a few theories why it is impossible we live in a matrix like world, go look for it.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, nyanderful, science fiction, seinen, shounen