Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-02-09, 11:10   Link #81
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought this the weakest episode so far. I'm hoping the Linden as Lord Ron business soon runs its course.
But without Ron, who will serve as a love rival for Linden?

Quote:
Surprising that the king didn't mention his illness to one of the empire's top doctors, but maybe it's come up before. We haven't seen him be treated for his diabetes yet as far as I know.
The Emperor consulted the doctor in ep 3.

Quote:
Is Elise living at her parents home at this time?
I don't think they'd be willing to let her live on her own... I figure she commutes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-09, 22:47   Link #82
Strahan

I'm surprised mister stiff right-hand man of the king didn't take affront at the doctor excusing himself from a royal audience. Normally in a setting like that, you wait until you are dismissed. At the very least, you'd wait for approval after announcing your imminent departure.

Quote:
I'm hoping the Linden as Lord Ron business soon runs its course.
Agreed. With his illness, I thought they may end it with her examining Ron then being at the palace for some reason only to see Linden collapse from, coincidentally, the same condition "Ron" has. Then she'd put two and two together, but I guess that isn't gonna happen since she already fixed it.

Maybe he'll get injured as Ron and as he slips into unconsciousness his disguise magic will disengage as she works on him. That'd be pretty startling for her, lol. A medical angle to the reveal would fit well given the show's doctor focus
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-09, 22:50   Link #83
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Especially since the first two episodes gave off the impression that the prince actually did like her (contrary to his words). I mean did he let her rule and not say a single word like the Emperor in Tearmoon Empire let his daughter run the show? (that is at least the impression I had there.)
In Tearmoon the Emperor was a weak guy who didn't run the show to begin with (which kind of caused the collapse), so it made sense that the MC could run the show if she persuaded some influential people or just used her position as a princess. It doesn't make sense in this show though, since the prince was shown as someone reasonably capable and she definitely didn't have the capability in the original timeline.

Even if we consider that the government screwed up (the campaign failure likely being the main cause), I just don't see how the King (prince now) could go blame-free while his wife got executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
My understanding is she became a scapegoat for all the failures of the government and her own inability to rule and Linden blamed her for failing his father.
Yeah, but she might have been a useless brat, but also as a woman, she shouldn't be the one making decisions. This is especially true for taking blame, since even if she was the shadow ruler (which she really wasn't), people of that time would likely not consider her as the decision-maker.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-14, 10:06   Link #84
Frontier

Wait, the royal family in this setting are the frikkin' ROMANOFFS !?

Elise may prefer a hospital and studying to going to noble parties, but it's worth it to see her in that purple dress and with her hair done up! She very easily catches the attention of other people at the party, even the attention of a dark-skinned beauty in a blue dress, though less positively .

Seems like Elise had a complicated relationship with the royal family...not only was she never able to really catch Linden's attention, but she was best friends with Linden's younger brother Mikhail, who was apparently in a succession crisis with Linden. It sounds like that really complicated things .

Juliane Child (with the serene and soothing voice of Megumi Han!) was not only part of the rival faction that supported the 3rd Prince (Mikhail?) but also ironically Elise's rival in love for Linden and the two were heated rivals...Elise also bullied her a lot, in true Villainess fashion, though that also kind of made Villainess Elise seem kind of fun .

But of course current Elise profusely apologizes for her past childish behavior, and Juliane being mature and even-handed accepts her apology. Elise is so impressed by her countenance that she even seems to think she would be a much better fit as Empress and Linden's wife .

Of course she doesn't know that Linden immediately singles her out at the party and is none to happy to see her catching the attention of other men. Of course he also can't explain that to her older brother and he can't get her to see through his true intentions when he asks her to dance. Though it does lead the audience to see the obvious couple vibes between them and Elise finally getting to put all the time she practiced to dance with him to work .

Elise really just can't get off the clock even at a party. Juliane has a fever and pushed herself to attend the party both for her family's sake and to see Linden, but luckily Linden is able to work with Elise to secure her and let her rest in the Imperial Lounge. Elise and Linden make a solid team .

So...is Elise going to help the Duchess with her Parkinsons? I know she prioritized helping Juliane, but it seems like she's not going to just let that go .

Welp, the Emperor basically announced that Elise is soon to be Linden's fiance when she comes of age...even if it wasn't a formal announcement. So now her new friendship with Juliane might be in jeopardy, she's having PTSD flashbacks to when Linden burned her at the stake, and Mikhail (Soma Saito!) is now interested in her (I guess they didn't become friends until after she was declared Linden's fiance in the original timeline) .

It's at least decent of the Emperor to try to explain to Elise where he's coming from and how the wager is still on, though now there's added pressure that Elise will have to become so accomplished as a doctor that it will make up for her not being the Empress...though I don't think the Emperor will ever give up on making her his daughter-in-law .
Old 2024-02-14, 13:23   Link #85
zeross87

it's weird how they discuss how a retractation would not affect the king but how about it would affect linden reputation ? having his nearly officially annonced fiancé turn him down would surely make him loose face in noble society no ?
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-14, 14:59   Link #86
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The obvious resolution is for Elise to do something medically significant and still become Empress. That would, of course, cause an earthquake in this patriarchal world. Her duties as Empress would normally consist of making babies and attending balls. Still, it's not out of the question for the conflict to be resolved this way given the feminist leanings of many stories in this genre.

Sounds to me like she will take and pass the exams regardless of the final resolution.

Do we know what the king's counselor has against our girl Elise? Simple over-protectiveness of his king? His dislike of her seems visceral though. Maybe one of those inter-clan rivalries? If so, Elise hasn't seemed to identify that as the reason.

Wonder if Juliane will still be so anxious to have a tea party with Elise?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-14, 15:37   Link #87
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The manhwa was pretty different. There, Elise was the one who was sick. The apology was enough for Julianne to invite her to tea. And Elise straight up told her she wouldn't be the fiancee, before the announcement. Awkwaaaard.
Old 2024-02-14, 16:36   Link #88
Frontier

Quote:
The obvious resolution is for Elise to do something medically significant and still become Empress. That would, of course, cause an earthquake in this patriarchal world. Her duties as Empress would normally consist of making babies and attending balls. Still, it's not out of the question for the conflict to be resolved this way given the feminist leanings of many stories in this genre.

Sounds to me like she will take and pass the exams regardless of the final resolution.

Do we know what the king's counselor has against our girl Elise? Simple over-protectiveness of his king? His dislike of her seems visceral though. Maybe one of those inter-clan rivalries? If so, Elise hasn't seemed to identify that as the reason.

Wonder if Juliane will still be so anxious to have a tea party with Elise?
I think the counselor has had a grudge against her for "talking back" to the emperor and assuming she could do her own thing instead of going along with the plan to marry Linden.
Old 2024-02-14, 23:31   Link #89
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Elise was so weak in this episode, how can someone who lived in our world be so weak and pathetic.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-15, 20:08   Link #90
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The manhwa was pretty different. There, Elise was the one who was sick. The apology was enough for Julianne to invite her to tea. And Elise straight up told her she wouldn't be the fiancee, before the announcement. Awkwaaaard.
Hmm, I would actually say that the anime version would be more convincing for Julianne to forgive and forget. Unless, aside from the negative stuff that she had to endure from past Elise, she actually secretly admired her for other qualities, which would be kind of hard to believe given what we know about past Elise so far.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-15, 21:07   Link #91
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Hmm, I would actually say that the anime version would be more convincing for Julianne to forgive and forget. Unless, aside from the negative stuff that she had to endure from past Elise, she actually secretly admired her for other qualities, which would be kind of hard to believe given what we know about past Elise so far.
Love Rivals generally get each other better than anyone .
Old 2024-02-16, 06:52   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
She invited Elise just after she (Elise) told her (Yulian) she (Elise) wasn't going to be the fiancee, she (Yulian) looked wistful while Elise reflected the politics made her (Yulian's) love more star-crossed than Romeo and Juliet's. So maybe Yulian decided that, as two women with an unrequited love for the Prince, they might as well get along.
Old 2024-02-21, 10:06   Link #93
Frontier

Elise is doggedly focused on passing the medical exam and becoming a fully-fledged doctors! Though probably a good thing she's got her brother Chris looking after so she gets a good nights sleep. She may be determined to study and doesn't want to attend parties, but she still has to keep up appearances while the Emperor's Birthday celebration continues .

I guess if the celebration is good for anything, it's seeing Elise in a new dress and hairstyle...though she'd rather not be the most popular person in the room with everyone assuming she's Linden's fiance. In fact she's more focused on making things right with Juliane. Though the fact that she's not even attending the celebration anymore feels concerning in and of itself .

Though if there's one thing Elise can rely on, it's someone in her vicinity needing medical attention even while she's attending a party, as Duchess Harbour's Parkinsons' acts up and prevents her from digesting her food, leaving Elise no choice but to operate! Good thing she keeps alcohol in her purse to disinfect a knife so she can perform a sudden tracheotomy !

And after her heroic efforts, Elise deserves to be praised and cheered as a hero...but instead she gets looked at like a killer who just stabbed a poor old woman in the neck, and immediately gets taken into custody. But Elise being Elise takes it in stride and also makes sure Duchess Harbour is taken care of while she's being apprehended .

Ugh, come off it Vent! Elise saved that woman's life, you don't need to be keeping her confined to prevent her from taking the exam or trying to find something she did wrong just to discredit her! The only solace is that both he and the Emperor end up being shocked when they find out just how amazing what Elise did was .

Elise isn't immediately thrown in prison but she's locked up in a tower like she's Rapunzel which is practically a prison, but at least she doesn't let it get her down. Gives her more time to study !

Elise doesn't regret what she did, but she's also very weak against her brothers who pull a complete 180 in personality and take turns praising and scolding her. The "nice" one Chris ends up chewing her out while the "mean" one Lenne finally praises her for quite possibly the first time in her life. Quite surreal .

Ironically while Elise is haunted by nightmares of whatever happened to Mikhail in the original timeline, his older brother Linden put Elise to bed! That's really sweet, and it's a big deal on his part not just because it shows his growing feelings for Elise but it seems like he has bad memories of this tower. Though now Mikhail knows exactly how precious Elise is to his brother .

Mikhail himself is a very mischievous and charismatic prince, and immediately tries to get to know Elise better, but he's surprised at how she seemingly already knows him so well and is sad at his presence...but that doesn't prevent the two from becoming as fast a friends as they likely did in the original timeline, with Elise even intending to dissuade Mikhail from the path to becoming Emperor that lead to his death in the original timeline .

Elise' two weaknesses are her brothers and sweets, basically .

Mikhail takes Elise to bed like Linden but unlike his brother actually gives her a kiss to her forehead, expressing his interest in her. Seems like some drama will be brewing with the brothers over Elise anyways .

Welp, Elise is finally exposed as Rose! Not that it's a big deal, but I guess it'll be interesting to see how this effects her role at the hospital .
Old 2024-02-21, 13:55   Link #94
zeross87

why does chris want her to do ? watch the duchess die and do nothing next time :/
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-21, 17:37   Link #95
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Mikhail offers the opportunity for a coherent resolution of the conflict that underpins this story. Would he be happy to wed a doctor?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-22, 07:32   Link #96
Tenzen12

I think Mikhail still aim for throne, which means if he succeeded she wouldn't be able be one anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
why does chris want her to do ? watch the duchess die and do nothing next time :/
Yes. Better Duchess than his own sister.
Old 2024-02-28, 10:02   Link #97
Frontier

Well, Elise has been exposed as Rose, but at least she's finally earned her freedom! Though things are a little awkward with Graham .

And that awkwardness continues back at the hospital, as he makes it clear the differences in station between them now, though of course Elise overreacts when he reacts badly to her scribbles thinking he's upset with her and not her complete inability to write properly .

But when Graham takes a leave of absence from the hospital, it's time for Elise to pay him a visit! And he surprisingly has a pretty swanky home (minus all the overgrowth, but that just adds character), as well as his nursemaid Yodell (voiced by none other than Kikuko Inoue!) who is basically his mom and wants all the deets on how Graham is doing at the hospital !

Of course, this being Doctor Elise, OF COURSE Yodell nearly collapses and has a medical emergency that Elise and Graham have to scramble to address, complete with surgery. At least it didn't have to be an impromptu surgery and they were able to get her condition stable .

Saving Yodell holds special meaning to Graham because he lost his entire family, and his livelihood, at a young age from an epidemic, and Yodell is the only person that stuck by him and was there for him right up to his graduation from medical school. And her getting sick one time was what what inspired him to become a doctor so he would never lose anyone again. And Yodell is so much his mom now that he even gave her the four leaf clover by her bedside that he gave to his biological mom !

I'm glad Graham and Elise were able to clear things up. Graham really just idolizes and respects Elise for being a prodigy and being capable of so much, while Elise mutually respects Graham. In fact the whole hospital really appreciates Graham, his presence, his experience, and even his scolding !

The way Graham stared at Elise under the starlight and blushed thinking over their time together...I'm liable to think he's fallen for her .

You know a prestigious award is all well and good but Elise still has that exam she needs to pass to win the bet...though will there be an award ceremony? Will that reunite her with Linden ?
Old 2024-02-28, 16:09   Link #98
HandofFate

not sure why its so important that she becomes the empress. doesn't seem like a matriarchy
Old 2024-02-28, 16:17   Link #99
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She's fine in the hospital where medical emergencies are supposed to happen (or arrive), but outside of it, she's almost as unlucky as Conan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
not sure why its so important that she becomes the empress. doesn't seem like a matriarchy
The Emperor just likes her and wants her as a daughter-in-law. Plus the pool of potential empresses isn't that big.
Old 2024-02-28, 18:05   Link #100
Frontier

Also I think the Emperor thinks she has a potential to be a good ruler alongside Linden.