AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-01, 03:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 676 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

T and Aohige bring the goods once more this week:

-Chapter title is "Weapon of Mass Destruction". There's no ministory this week since there's a color page instead.

-After eating the candy, Smiley explodes. Interestingly, it seems that an apple on the nearby sled transformed into a devil fruit after the explosion. The gas monster then swallows Caesar's servants who are nearby, and they find themselves frozen and paralyzed after being gulped down. Zoro's group are running away from the creature, and decide to use the dragon shown last chapter to make their escape.

-Luffy notices Zoro's group on the TV monitors. Shortly afterwards, him and everyone else in the seastone cage are flung outside to be fed to Smiley. Chopper panics as he tries to find a way to save his friends, but suddenly he finds a note that tells him to lay low and not do anything yet. Outside below the cage containing Luffy's group are some marines. Law then says that it's time to strike back......

Yeah, short summary, I know. But that's what we've got! I'm wondering if the appearance of another devil fruit means that Smiley is about to get another power-up? It also looks like Law's hatching up another scheme if he's prepared to make a counter-attack. I suppose it was him who left that note for Chopper.....

Anyhoo, chapter should be out soon! But I believe now is time for another announcement:

NOTE: THIS CHAPTER WILL BE RELEASED ON A DOUBLE ISSUE, SO ONCE AGAIN THERE WILL BE NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK. AGAIN, THERE WILL BE NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK.

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-08-01 at 09:17.
Old 2012-08-01, 07:55   Link #2
ronin myael
lost ronin

well, i can't say much about this chapter except that i want to know what happens next.
Old 2012-08-01, 08:03   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The scanlation is missing the page where Chopper reads the note.

The apple turned into a devil fruit after Smiley "died". Is this perhaps what happens when a fruit user dies? The closest fruit is turned into a DF? That would mean the apple is the salamander DF now.
Old 2012-08-01, 08:03   Link #4
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

So wait...did the devil fruit appear because of Smiley's gas or did it just randomly appear?
Old 2012-08-01, 08:19   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The apple transforming into the Salamander Devil Fruit is the most logical answer now.

Its not the smoke that causes the fruit to transform, because its purpose to petrify stuff. The apple transformed before getting hit by the smoke, so its not caused by the smoke. And also only one apple transformed, not all of them.

This is probably Oda finally revealing how Devil Fruits appear.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-08-01, 09:02   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

This is probably Oda finally revealing how Devil Fruits appear.
Well, it's not really a revelation on how they appear (we still do not know where they come from or how they are made, etc), but this does seem to indicate how the fruits stay in circulation.

I wonder now if Blackbeard's grand plan all along was simply to get a regular fruit next to a dying Whitebeard. It still doesn't explain how he can have 2 powers, but at least it explains how he was able to harvest (pun intended) the power.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:23   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I wonder if Black Beard was the only person in the entire Marineford to carry a fruit so that it would transform into a Devil Fruit, if he actually used such a straight forward approach.

But then he would need to bring two with him to make sure that the 1st fruit would turn into Ace's fire fruit and the 2nd would become the quake fruit.

Old 2012-08-01, 09:33   Link #8
marvelB

Okay, so I edited the opening post a little bit since the chapter's out now.

Anyways, it's an OK chapter. I like how Oda's finally starting to reveal more about the nature of devil fruits. So I guess that means all that's needed is an ordinary fruit for the power to be transferred to, eh? That's very interesting indeed (and also explains why some past fruits that were shown to be shaped like regular garden-variety fruits like melons, bananas, etc.).

And I gotta admit, getting petrified through poison sounds like a pretty damned scary way to die. Now this really makes me wonder how Luffy and co. will be able to stop Smiley, since he's indeed a living WMD......

Oh well, at least we'll have the break to mull this over. In the meantime, I've posted a little more about the upcoming movie in the respective thread, and I assure you that I'll be posting the new volume's SBS info once it's available. I also when the current chapter translation will add that missing page.....?

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-08-01 at 09:44.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:37   Link #9
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I'm betting Chopper's message is from Happy Harpy! Just because I like her so much...
Old 2012-08-01, 09:47   Link #10
marvelB

^Heh, imagine if it turned out that Monet wasn't a double agent, but a triple agent who's actually working for Dragon and is helping the Straw-Hats in secrecy like Kuma before the skip? (or at least acting out of self-interest like Robin did, if she's not working for a third party)? I can actually sort of see that being possible.....
Old 2012-08-01, 09:57   Link #11
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
^Heh, imagine if it turned out that Monet wasn't a double agent, but a triple agent who's actually working for Dragon and is helping the Straw-Hats in secrecy like Kuma before the skip? (or at least acting out of self-interest like Robin did, if she's not working for a third party)? I can actually sort of see that being possible.....
Come on, Luffy doesn't need outside help anymore.

And he already has help in the form of Smoker and Law. Any more is just pathetic.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:01   Link #12
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
And he already has help in the form of Smoker and Law.

...Who are both stuck in the same seastone cage as him. And how, pray tell, will they be able to be of much help in their predicament? And before you mention Smoker being stuck in Tashigi's body, remember that she's not exactly a powerhouse.......
Old 2012-08-01, 10:08   Link #13
ntherblast

From reading the chapter they got a plan to get out and fight
Old 2012-08-01, 10:11   Link #14
marvelB

^To be clear, I already get that Law has a plan to bust out of the cage and make a counterattack, but paradox13 seems to be implying that Luffy is above any kind of outside help or something, which I just find to be a plain old load of hooey.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:16   Link #15
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's veeeeeeery interesting to learn more about devil fruits. They've been quite an enigma in this series for a while now. I think the last time we learned anything about their properties was waaaay back in the Enies Lobby arc with CP9.

So they're just regular fruits at first, and then "something" alters the fruit's properties to turn it into a devil fruit. So very curious.~

Anywho, happy 15th anniversary One Piece! I wonder if Oda will end up making it to 20 years as well?
Old 2012-08-01, 10:24   Link #16
james0246

I'm still unclear as to why Franky doesn't simply break the chains holding him. They may be strong, but Franky has immense strength, and even if his muscle (synthetic or other) can't handle the task, I'm sure he has a blowtorch tucked away inside of his pants somewhere.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:26   Link #17
Azami

The paper could be from Law but the first thing I thought was that it was from Monet
Old 2012-08-01, 10:39   Link #18
Rainbowman

Another break for Oda production-wise must mean more work on One Piece film Z which is why I have no complaints this part of year.
Old 2012-08-01, 10:56   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
IMHO this doesn't make much sense, because it doesn't fit together with what we already know of the fruits:
There are books which describe how each (known) fruit looks like and what power it has. If a normal "random" fruit simply turned into a DF, the same power could always have different fruits to manifest itself into and nobody could write such books.
It can just be the Salamander fruit's 'base' is an apple.

And the Devil Fruits will manifest itself to the closest 'base fruit' everytime the user dies.

And seeing that CC is a scientist who probably know the secrets behind Devil Fruits, he may have left the apples there so that he can pick up the fruit later on.

Old 2012-08-01, 11:00   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
There are books which describe how each (known) fruit looks like and what power it has.
Maybe the books were written by people who witnessed the transformations, which is why they knew what power each fruit held...at least until the next generation of DF. Perhaps it has to be a specific kind of fruit to transform and apple was fitting for the salamander fruit...but this is all speculation so all we can do is wait for Oda to provide some answers in a couple of weeks.
Closed Thread