AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-19, 17:51   Link #1
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

20th Century Boys

I was just wondering what this story is all about. I heard that it's a good read. Can anyone give a summary of it?
Old 2004-04-19, 18:07   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
I was just wondering what this story is all about. I heard that it's a good read. Can anyone give a summary of it?
1. A good friend dies mysteriously
2. "It seems like the death stems back from the time when we were little kids back in the 1960s"
4. "Remember how we made that secret hideout in the backyard when we made the story about destroying and saving the Earth?"
5. "Looks like some person is trying to re-enact that as a prophecy..."
6. "But, who was at the secret hideout, and who else knew about that secret when we were kids...?"

at the turn of the century:
1. As prophecized, the Earth is almost destroyed by bioterrorism
2. A cult named "Tomodachi" becomes a leader for saving the earth
3. But some people begins to doubt that this "tomodachi" created the bioterrorist event in the first place...

In short: A mystery-suspense story spanning from several events of from 1960s-2010s that all leads to one big consipracy and a group of misfits trying to go against the greatest threat to humanity.

Written by one of today's best manga authors: Urasawa Naoki
Old 2004-04-19, 19:27   Link #3
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
1. A good friend dies mysteriously
2. "It seems like the death stems back from the time when we were little kids back in the 1960s"
4. "Remember how we made that secret hideout in the backyard when we made the story about destroying and saving the Earth?"
5. "Looks like some person is trying to re-enact that as a prophecy..."
6. "But, who was at the secret hideout, and who else knew about that secret when we were kids...?"

at the turn of the century:
1. As prophecized, the Earth is almost destroyed by bioterrorism
2. A cult named "Tomodachi" becomes a leader for saving the earth
3. But some people begins to doubt that this "tomodachi" created the bioterrorist event in the first place...

In short: A mystery-suspense story spanning from several events of from 1960s-2010s that all leads to one big consipracy and a group of misfits trying to go against the greatest threat to humanity.

Written by one of today's best manga authors: Urasawa Naoki
Whoa, sounds cool. Thanks!!! The reason I'm asking is cuz I instantly fell in love with MONSTER. It seems like this story hasn't finished yet. I'll check it out soon enough.
Old 2004-04-19, 22:06   Link #4
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
check it out and enjoy it but don't forget that urasawa will mentaly screw you in 20th century boys more than he did with monster
Old 2004-04-19, 22:48   Link #5
brightman
Ancient Member

Yup, the twists and turns in this manga just keeps coming at you... So much that I started doubting anything that's happening somewhere along the way.

And the cliffhangers... If anything wait until you have a lot of time before you read this, because once you start, you can't stop....
Old 2004-04-19, 22:53   Link #6
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

Is it true that it's not completed yet? If it's one thing that I've learned from Urasawa's mangas, its that he's good at screwing people's heads up. Also, which came first? Monster or 20th Century Boys?
Old 2004-04-19, 22:59   Link #7
brightman
Ancient Member

Vol 16 will be released in less than two weeks So yes, it's not finish. And yes, Vol 15 ends in the worse way possible...

Anyway, Monster came first. That one finished at Vol 18 a few years ago.
Old 2004-04-20, 23:57   Link #8
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

20th century boys is good. But one thing puzzles me is what happened in vol. 15 with the pope and friend. How did he do it? -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-04-21, 10:34   Link #9
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
20th century boys is good. But one thing puzzles me is what happened in vol. 15 with the pope and friend. How did he do it? -_-
Spoiler:

20th Century Boys is, in my honest opinion, one of the best manga ever created. The story, the characters, the feeling. All is perfect, and Urasawa-sensei is a story-telling master. He's the Agatha Christie of manga- when you think you know who Friend is, he proves that everything you knew was awfully wrong. I, honestly, like 20th Century Boys more than Monster. Monster comnes in a close 2nd place, but a good suspense story like 20th Century Boys. Using a profecy made by Kenji and his friends when they were kids, Friend's trying to make it true. But who's Friend? Why is he doing that? What does exactly he want? These questions remain unanswered even today, but you can be sure Urasawa will answer them perfectly, putting every little detail to form a huge web. 20th Century Boys is a manga with normal people (no super-power crap) trying to protect their normal lives, against a not so normal enemy (Friend- he's a genius, so he's not that normal). 20th Century Boys and Monster made Urasawa my favorite mangaka ever, along with Katsuhiro Otomo (who wrote Akira, the best manga I've read so far).

20th Century Boys is, in my opinion, the best Seinen being released today. If you want an adult and very good story, read it. You won't be disappointed. At all.
Old 2004-04-21, 18:56   Link #10
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
20th Century Boys is, in my honest opinion, one of the best manga ever created.
And in MY honest opinion, it's THE best manga ever created.

///_^
Old 2004-04-22, 00:14   Link #11
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

What volume do you guys think the manga will end at?
Old 2004-04-22, 00:44   Link #12
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Interesting manga, not action filled more like mystery suspense. Many people love it, I think it has gone on too long, the twists and turns are getting a bit too repetitive thought I doubt how long they can drag it. Sometimes short and sweet is good.. but that's just me
Old 2004-04-22, 10:16   Link #13
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
What volume do you guys think the manga will end at?
Seems like it can still go on for a while... The third "story arc" apparently starts with Vol 16 (haven't read it yet so I have no idea if that's really true), so there's still quite a bit of story left to tell.
Old 2004-04-22, 11:56   Link #14
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 2004-04-22, 13:00   Link #15
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Spoiler:
Warning: spoilers for volume 15.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-22, 13:04   Link #16
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-22, 17:16   Link #17
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Is this manga licensed? If not, are there any scanlations of it? Thanks -- Monster looks really intriguing, so I'm interested in reading this one
Old 2004-04-22, 17:28   Link #18
stpehen
kisses for all

It's not licensed yet. Here's all the currently available volumes, scanlated.
Old 2004-04-23, 21:11   Link #19
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

It's really interesting the that main protoganist of the whole story is actually dead for most of the series. Kinda makes him like a "legend," making him the main inspiration for his fellow comrads who continue to fight for his cause. Nice.
Old 2004-04-24, 07:42   Link #20
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
It's really interesting the that main protoganist of the whole story is actually dead for most of the series. Kinda makes him like a "legend," making him the main inspiration for his fellow comrads who continue to fight for his cause. Nice.

Spoiler:

Closed Thread