AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-28, 23:44   Link #561
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I question the character design choice of making Rin blonde, when the grandfather and mother both seemingly have regular black hair.

Not many seemed to comment, but I find it really out of the ordinary that a 25?-30 girl would end up doing it with a 60?-70+ year old man she's cleaning the house for.
It seems Masako had a thing for old men. She even made a comment how she might have liked Daikichi if he was 50 years older.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 06:43   Link #562
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

On ep 8, well, nothing changed much this episode. Still the same old brilliant jobs that we had recently. Won't they just slip and make a crappier job once it a while?

On Kouki's mom, i have a feeling that she's not the type of person that she hinted to be. Because if that is the case, normally on stereotype, she would really take care of Kouki closely...

Rin? Simply so adorable. I don't know how many deeds i would have to do to have such an adorable little 'aunt'. I have a feeling that Rin grew up a little since last episode, but she still need that chair to get to the sink. So i could be wrong

One more thing, if what happened in the anime is in 2011, then i guess if we have a time skip, it probably won't be a long time skip. Would love to see how Rin turns out in high school or university or something, but then the director will need some creativity on the world in 2025 (super micro phone, high-tech house, etc...).
Old 2011-08-29, 10:36   Link #563
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
One more thing, if what happened in the anime is in 2011, then i guess if we have a time skip, it probably won't be a long time skip. Would love to see how Rin turns out in high school or university or something, but then the director will need some creativity on the world in 2025 (super micro phone, high-tech house, etc...).
I don't think it takes place in 2011. I think it takes place around 2005 or 2006 (that's what I assume because that's when the manga began).
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 11:49   Link #564
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I don't think it takes place in 2011. I think it takes place around 2005 or 2006 (that's what I assume because that's when the manga began).
The calender in this episode showed that it's 2011 through...

So no hovering car and maid robot...?
Old 2011-08-29, 15:36   Link #565
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I question the character design choice of making Rin blonde, when the grandfather and mother both seemingly have regular black hair.
Quite possible in real life, though. It may be a bit different in Asian countries, but at least in the West, it's perfectly possible for two black-haired parents to have a child with different color hair. And the same thing goes for eye color, and anything else you can think of.

Quote:
Not many seemed to comment, but I find it really out of the ordinary that a 25?-30 girl would end up doing it with a 60?-70+ year old man she's cleaning the house for.
True love knows no age limits. There are probably couples in real life with a similar age gap that have actually done it as well.

Anyway, this was a nice episode, just like all the previous ones. And I agree that Daikichi should make a move on Yukari, if he indeed fancies her that much. I'm sure neither Kouki or Rin would mind, seeing as how they get along so well.

Masako doesn't really seem to know how to handle her abandoning Rin. I think it's clear she still holds some feelings for her (as evidenced by the fact that she still remembers her birthday), but she tries to suppress them at every chance she gets.

Also, Rin's seiyuu is hella cute.
Old 2011-08-31, 19:50   Link #566
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The calender in this episode showed that it's 2011 through...

So no hovering car and maid robot...?
Oh, I didn't notice. Maybe they did that for ease of dialogue?

But yeah, Usagi Drop is a pretty reserved story in terms of its realism. There won't be any soldier-turned-maid androids falling in love, nor any hover car chase scenes like that of certain element.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 14:13   Link #567
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Well... I like to think that the manga and anime occupy two different continuities. They aren't exactly the same any more, in any case, given the many rearrangements of scenes in the anime (mostly, if not all, for the better).

Unfortunately, that does make pinpointing Rin's "canonical" birthday well-nigh impossible. Another confirmed date did pop up, though, while I was rewatching Ep1: Grandpa died on Sept 2. (There is a typo, though. The year of death is stated as Heisei 23. That's 2011. Obviously, that can't be right.)

===========================

As for Ep9, happy though I am to see some development in Daikichi's love life, the rest of the episode felt too much like a filler, I'm afraid. So, yes, I'd agree that the show has lost some of its momentum since Ep5. Thankfully, there is little else to actually dislike so, on balance, things are still good for me.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 15:10   Link #568
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Damnit, what's Daikichi waiting for? Rin provided a golden opportunity for him to get closer to Yukari, but he didn't seize it. With that said, I feel Yukari has actually already noticed Daikichi is interested in her and that she sadly doesn't share his feelings. The look on her face after Daikichi sheltered her under his umbrella was foreboding. If that's truly case, that's a really shame, as the four of them would make a wonderful family.

Kouki was pretty funny. His interactions with Rin are always pretty cute. She's kind of an older sister to him.
Old 2011-09-01, 15:17   Link #569
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kouki was pretty funny. His interactions with Rin are always pretty cute. She's kind of an older sister to him.
Heh, that's already starting to change...

It's times like this that I wish a show had a subforum, 'cause I'd really like to throw a "10/10" at this one. Hell, I'd go up to 11 if I could. They animated a couple of my favorite scenes from the manga (I'm steering well clear of anything close to or after the time jump) and they really did so beautifully.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 15:40   Link #570
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Damnit, what's Daikichi waiting for? Rin provided a golden opportunity for him to get closer to Yukari, but he didn't seize it. With that said, I feel Yukari has actually already noticed Daikichi is interested in her and that she sadly doesn't share his feelings. The look on her face after Daikichi sheltered her under his umbrella was foreboding. If that's truly case, that's a really shame, as the four of them would make a wonderful family.
I agree that the look on her face wasn't exactly encouraging. Though she does seem to like him throughout the rest of the second half. Maybe there's some other reason to do with her circumstances why she would react like that to being walked under a "together umbrella" to the cab by him.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 15:54   Link #571
Solafighter
Hige

"You should see, how much im making.
Bring a ruler."

Best quote.
Old 2011-09-01, 16:02   Link #572
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Rin really is like an older sister for Kouki. Lol at him in her clothes. They all seemed like a family. Rin had a great time as well cooking with Kouki's mom. She was getting sad when they were about to leave, liked how she asked them to stay over. Daikichi really should make a move.
Old 2011-09-01, 16:10   Link #573
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Daikichi can sense there's some deep pain in Yukari's past - you got just a little sense of the challenges she faces in raising a son, and the guilt she feels about not giving Kouki a more "normal" childhood. Her fragility is scaring him, just a bit.

Also, it's obvious Daikichi doesn't give himself enough credit. The single Dad thing is a big winner in the romance department - the women at Rin's school were certainly flirting hard enough.
Old 2011-09-01, 17:06   Link #574
Sol Falling

Quote:

I'm kinda interpreting Yukari's behaviour/expressions as vulnerability. I don't necessarily think that means she's uninterested, but it does seem like right now she is looking at her own inadequacies rather than at Daikichi as a man.

Or rather, on this point I am wondering about Yukari's relationship with Kouki. It's funny that Daikichi said there's a sense of security in their relationship, because I actually don't feel that close of a connection between them. If Daikichi is somehow not attractive to Yukari, then I wonder if, deep down somewhere, it's because Yukari feels that Kouki himself is a burden/chain.

Anyway, I actually really enjoyed this episode, even if there are hints that it's not leading anywhere good. Kouki himself feels like he gained a whole lot of depth in this episode, so much so that I'm impressed. The most amazing thing I feel about Kouki and Rin's relationship is how it sometimes allows them to show empathy much beyond their age, although these moments are rare. I'd forgotten for a while actually what can make children (for me) such impressive characters.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 17:22   Link #575
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's not quite my take on Yukari and Kouki's relationship. Rather than a lack of connection, I think it's a sense of guilt that Yukari has for Kouki not having a "real family" as she sees it. I think the scene where Daikichi asks Kouki if he loves his Mom - somewhat out of the blue, I might add - is an important one, and it struck me that way as soon as I read it in the manga. Daikichi was perhaps feeling a little worried that he and Kouki were getting too close and he was intruding on his relationship with his Mom, but he was reassured by Kouki's "If only she wasn't such an old nag" answer, because in boy-speak that was a ringing declaration of love.
Old 2011-09-01, 17:49   Link #576
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I didn't read the expressions by Yukari there as being that negative. Clearly she's dealing with her own difficulties. Agree with Sol in that she might be looking more at her own inadequacies. Daikichi is pretty reliable and seems to be able to handle so much from a certain perspective. Rin is incredibly reliable compared to Kouki who while a good kid isn't exactly handy . She might just be down on herself. Think there is interest in Daikichi, but it won't be a really fast road. Do believe things will eventually work out with Daikichi and Yukari, the friendship between Rin and Kouki will give them many opportunities down the road.

The episode overall was pretty nice. Got some focus on the friendship with Kouki and Rin. Good to get a feel for them both. Interesting also to see Daikichi constantly learning more about things he never had to think about. Education insurance, life insurance, etc. Just things that a single guy wouldn't have on his mind.

While things might not rapidly happen look forward to seeing how things turn out. Interesting dynamic with the two "single parents."
Old 2011-09-01, 17:51   Link #577
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's not quite my take on Yukari and Kouki's relationship. Rather than a lack of connection, I think it's a sense of guilt that Yukari has for Kouki not having a "real family" as she sees it. I think the scene where Daikichi asks Kouki if he loves his Mom - somewhat out of the blue, I might add - is an important one, and it struck me that way as soon as I read it in the manga. Daikichi was perhaps feeling a little worried that he and Kouki were getting too close and he was intruding on his relationship with his Mom, but he was reassured by Kouki's "If only she wasn't such an old nag" answer, because in boy-speak that was a ringing declaration of love.
Well, I don't disagree with that. Perhaps I was just a little bit impacted by how much Kouki seems to act out in other contexts. I'm just sorta wondering about Yukari's side, and how that might impact how she is relating to Daikichi. There was a contrast, in this episode, that I was seeing, not just in how happy Kouki was when he was around Rin and Daikichi, but also the well-behavedness of Rin vs. how Kouki imposed on others. If Yukari's guilt/hesitation is just about Kouki not having a normal/happy family, then that'd be perfect 'cause that's something I'm sure Daikichi can provide her. I do really want that "happy family" end.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 17:52   Link #578
demonkevy666

Daikichi = awesominess.

I loved the background music very fitting.
demonkevy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 19:28   Link #579
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well, I don't disagree with that. Perhaps I was just a little bit impacted by how much Kouki seems to act out in other contexts. I'm just sorta wondering about Yukari's side, and how that might impact how she is relating to Daikichi. There was a contrast, in this episode, that I was seeing, not just in how happy Kouki was when he was around Rin and Daikichi, but also the well-behavedness of Rin vs. how Kouki imposed on others. If Yukari's guilt/hesitation is just about Kouki not having a normal/happy family, then that'd be perfect 'cause that's something I'm sure Daikichi can provide her. I do really want that "happy family" end.
Well, I don't honestly think you can judge Kouki's behavior by Rin's standard. First of all they're at an age where girls tend to be much more well-behaved and less frenetic than boys, and second of all Rin is mature and responsible in the .001% even for girls. So I really don't think Yukari is stressing Kouki's basically quite normal behavior so much as the fact that "If I'd managed to give him a normal life, would he be happier?" That said, it's certainly possible that being a woman and not having any older sons - and as far as we know, possibly no brothers - Yukari might feel she can't understand Kouki and that bothers her, too.
Old 2011-09-01, 19:41   Link #580
User68604
Disabled By Request

great episode, i always thought kouki was a bratty kid (and he is) but in this ep it was endearing and cute

nitani + daikichi....im liking it
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance