AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 09:37   Link #981
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It wouldn't be unheard of to tie a final series in with the release of the last volume. Actually glad to hear he's struggling with a proper ending -- it *should* be a tough decision
Old 2010-04-08, 10:07   Link #982
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Yep, although we all know we want Holo/Lawrence together, but its good to hear hes trying to do justice to this next, possibly last, volume.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 16:23   Link #983
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Yep, although we all know we want Holo/Lawrence together, but its good to hear hes trying to do justice to this next, possibly last, volume.
Of course, I don't wanna see it end, but I also don't wanna see it "jump the shark"... that would be the worst thing that could happen to this wonderful novel series!

Take all the time you need to do it perfectly!
Old 2010-04-12, 11:45   Link #984
Rose_t

A little edge to the topic but translator who translates spice and wolf wanted direct that he has ended volume 2. But he have problems whit internet and also his computer fail, and have many stuff in real life. He releas translation when his school break starts.
Rose_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 22:29   Link #985
Silent Wanderer

While I'm happy he is trying to come up with a good ending, I hope he doesn't over think it.
Silent Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 11:46   Link #986
Arashi500
Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Sad, all my favourite novel series are coming to an end or already finished. I really do hope it has a spectacular ending though.
Old 2010-04-16, 20:15   Link #987
Silent Wanderer

I'm probably going to be attacked for this, but am I the only one who supports the cover changes? Now I hated the first cover, which made it look like some trashy romance novel. But I can understand why they would market it outside the typical fanbase. True, most people don't buy something they never heard about, but it might be easier for people to spread it to their friends.

If they change the cover for the second novel without making it look like that, I wouldn't mind. And I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen reading it, because the original anime-esque ones can also give off the wrong idea.
Old 2010-04-16, 20:27   Link #988
Rajura

This is a topic that has gotten quite a bit of discussion here. I think we are quite divided... however, I think most of us agree that an alternate cover may draw other readers, but the way they did the first was not as well thought out as it could have been.

I like the original covers, and I would have no problem with a "Westernized" dust jacket... but don't mess with the real book covers. This way, fans could take the dj off and put it wherever, so they could enjoy the original covers, and casual and "closet" readers could hide behind the "Westernized" dj.

I am glad many people had the opportunity to get the oiginal cover (though only as a dj). But, that it was an after-thought was like giving fans who had been looking forward to the release of the LN a double dose of the middle finger (especially since it had to be bought from particular dealers to obtain it). They really should have foreseen this and prepared in some form or fashion!
Old 2010-04-16, 20:45   Link #989
Silent Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post

I like the original covers, and I would have no problem with a "Westernized" dust jacket... but don't mess with the real book covers. This way, fans could take the dj off and put it wherever, so they could enjoy the original covers, and casual and "closet" readers could hide behind the "Westernized" dj.
That would have been a better idea than mine, actually. I love the original covers, I just don't like giving people the wrong impression...

I'd probably read them at home anyway, so it wouldn't matter much.
Old 2010-04-17, 05:56   Link #990
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Wanderer
That would have been a better idea than mine, actually. I love the original covers, I just don't like giving people the wrong impression...

I'd probably read them at home anyway, so it wouldn't matter much.

I think most people who have read them did the bulk of that reading at home... I read about 50 pages when I was waiting for a flight but that was it (then switched gears to Liberty and Tyranny). I personally would have felt a little more awkward if I had not had the original cover dj covering things up... as Yen's first attempt did come off a bit sultry. If the future dj's are the "Westernized" depictions, I won't complain as long as it fits the tone of the book and don't seem to misrepresent the content.

I would also like to see a re-release where they have the original covers and use the dj's from the Nih. releases, which were very nice. But... I don't see that happening.
Old 2010-04-18, 22:37   Link #991
Silent Wanderer

Shame too. One thing I love about this series is that it doesn't have much fanservice, and I don't really even consider those scenes fanservice. It has very mature attitudes about nudity and sex. Same with Lawrence and Horo.

Really, all the character we have met so far act like real people. Horo and Lawrence actually have chemistry between them, so it doesn't feel like it's just because. Most series leave me wondering why the characters are falling in love. Because he/she is the main character and the writer wants him/her to be with another character? To please the shipper fanbase? Last minute hook-ups? Lawrence and Holo actually get along.

The way they get along is realistic, too. They don't feel like hormonal filled people who just found out about the other gender.

Last edited by Silent Wanderer; 2010-04-19 at 00:28.
Old 2010-04-19, 16:27   Link #992
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Partly, you're seeing the difference between the "seinen" grade of storytelling and the "shounen". Both Horo and Lawrence, despite their appearances, have been around the block a few times and it shows in the complexity of their relationship.
"first love" shounen stories, at best, often come off as awkward with many moments of stupidity... or of letting the story tumble based on 'focus groups' (fanbase). They've gotten better.... more than a few 'shounen' stories are acting much like a 'seinen' targeted story. But many (especially the ones based on harem choice games) still just fail in terms of 'feeling believable' -- they are more fantasy than a story about a wolf demigod and her human companion

Don't get me wrong, I've come across a fair pack of such stories based on date-sims that I've liked... but usually because it has subverted the archetypes in someway or diverged from the "usual rut in the road".
Old 2010-04-20, 05:41   Link #993
Alchemist007
*Author

I'm looking forward to reading this novel one day in the original Japanese. I like the anime, having only seen season 1. Good to know the author is thinking heavily on the outcome of their journey.
Old 2010-04-20, 13:18   Link #994
Lekner

Go watch Season 2, its even better

Actually the book in english is rather good so dont hold back because its not in the original language
Old 2010-04-20, 21:06   Link #995
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekner View Post

Actually the book in english is rather good so dont hold back because its not in the original language
I have to agree on that. The book is a smooth read and quite enjoyable. And if your like me you'll ignore the text wen it says Holo and instead replace it with Horo ^^ .

What I do hope though is that (if yen press is going to continue with the dj original art) they have more than one online store with the DJ because I really prefer to buy from B&N/Amazon than Right Stuf (bad experience with them)
SakuraAyanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 02:41   Link #996
Alchemist007
*Author

It's not so much I don't like quality translations, but having read some original Japanese myself already, I find it a different experience with how the language works. And considering how much I hate cliffhangers (the reason I haven't seen S2 already), I think by the time I know enough to read the book (not to mention being able to afford it) it will be a complete collection.
Old 2010-04-21, 20:03   Link #997
Silent Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Partly, you're seeing the difference between the "seinen" grade of storytelling and the "shounen". Both Horo and Lawrence, despite their appearances, have been around the block a few times and it shows in the complexity of their relationship.
"first love" shounen stories, at best, often come off as awkward with many moments of stupidity... or of letting the story tumble based on 'focus groups' (fanbase). They've gotten better.... more than a few 'shounen' stories are acting much like a 'seinen' targeted story. But many (especially the ones based on harem choice games) still just fail in terms of 'feeling believable' -- they are more fantasy than a story about a wolf demigod and her human companion
Yep. Still, many seinen also comes across as unrealistic and forced. Not really a "fantasy" in the same way shonen romances are, but they sometimes come across as... strange.

I hope Yenpress doesn't drop this, though.

Last edited by Silent Wanderer; 2010-04-21 at 23:38. Reason: I didn't like the rest of my post.
Old 2010-04-22, 05:47   Link #998
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Wanderer View Post
I hope Yenpress doesn't drop this, though.
You're not the only one, I actually sent them a letter regarding the series and how things like slow publication rate and fear it may be dropped before it is completed may hurt the series' sales etc.
Old 2010-04-26, 16:45   Link #999
LKK

Yen Press revealed the covers for novel 2 today. As has been said before, the printed cover will be the original Japanese version. All copies will come with a dust jacket new cover that YP's retail customers want in the hopes of getting a wider audience. The new covers can be seen in YP's blog announcement.

http://yenpress.us/2010/04/spice-wol...-two/#comments

My personal opinion of the new dust jacket picture is that it is significantly better than the picture used for novel 1. I can't imagine anyone being embarassed about taking novel 2 to the check out counter to pay for the book like many people said about the cover to novel 1.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 17:03   Link #1000
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Excellent news, not only is the second americanised cover significantly better (as I said it probably would be, ALTHOUGH there is still room for improvement!) but now everyone gets the choice of what to show

Just seeing the new cover actually excites me in a way because it reminds me how close the second novel is

'Do WANT!'

PS. Animation studios...also do want season 3...4, 5 and 6

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen