AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-31, 00:58   Link #1
ArrowSmith

Supernatural dramatic anime

Death Note, Hell Girl, Shigofumi, Lain, Boogiepop Phantom. Shows with supernatural elements that pack an emotional punch. Any other ones that I MUST see?
Old 2011-05-31, 01:16   Link #2
For~Eternity
Shinda Sekai Sensen

Kind of a big topic, since I don't know exactly what genres you're looking for, but here's some that I highly recommend:

Rozen Maiden: Supernatural, dramatic, action, comedy
Elfen Lied: Supernatural, dramatic, action, psychological, horror, romance
Kamisama Kazoku: Supernatural, dramatic, romance, comedy
Angel Beats!: Supernatural, action

Hope you haven't already seen all of those! They're all some of my favorite series.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:18   Link #3
jedinat

Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Natsume Yuujinchou
xxxHOLiC

...those are perhaps listed from most dramatic/emotional to least. All excellent anime.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:45   Link #4
HasuMasu
*Artist

how about ghost hound

rubbed me the wrong way, but i heard a lot of people like it
Old 2011-05-31, 01:51   Link #5
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by For~Eternity View Post
Kind of a big topic, since I don't know exactly what genres you're looking for, but here's some that I highly recommend:

Rozen Maiden: Supernatural, dramatic, action, comedy
Elfen Lied: Supernatural, dramatic, action, psychological, horror, romance
Kamisama Kazoku: Supernatural, dramatic, romance, comedy
Angel Beats!: Supernatural, action

Hope you haven't already seen all of those! They're all some of my favorite series.
I've seen Elfen Lied, but not the other ones. I'm very picky about my anime these days. I've seen 170 movies & seasons so far.
Old 2011-05-31, 01:53   Link #6
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Natsume Yuujinchou
xxxHOLiC

...those are perhaps listed from most dramatic/emotional to least. All excellent anime.
Seen Haibane Renmei, Mushishi(both amazing). Started on xxxHOLiC but it strikes me more as a comedy anime?
Old 2011-05-31, 02:03   Link #7
For~Eternity
Shinda Sekai Sensen

Do you prefer anime with a high action element, or would you rather there be less action? Also, do you like a comedy element?
Old 2011-05-31, 02:28   Link #8
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by For~Eternity View Post
Do you prefer anime with a high action element, or would you rather there be less action? Also, do you like a comedy element?
I'm definitely not an action-maven. Been there, done that. These days, I'm more into contemplative stuff.
Old 2011-05-31, 02:40   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Lots of good choices mentioned - to which I will add the 2010 movie Colorful. An absolute emotional powerhouse.
Old 2011-05-31, 03:38   Link #10
tomphile

The only one off the top of my head at the moment would be Shinrei Tantei Yakumo. He can see ghosts. :O
Old 2011-05-31, 03:46   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill. It definitely has some terrific animation but is more contemplative than action orientated:
Spoiler for sample:
Old 2011-05-31, 06:41   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No such list is complete without Nakamura Kenji's three-episode story "Bakeneko" followed by its twelve-episode sequel Mononoke. Spectacular artwork is joined with an astounding performance by Sakurai Takahiro as the Apothecary.

My other recommendations would be the two anime based on novels by Uehashi Nahoko, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. (I recommend tracking down the fansubs for Erin because of the quality of the translation.)
Old 2011-05-31, 13:52   Link #13
kitten320

Angel Beats - supernatural, action, drama
Aoi Bungaku - depends on a story arc more since it is basicly series with several mini story arcs. Each one has different scale of interest and supernatural element. Definetly drama though.
Clannad - seems to be more of a clice of life at first but still has a super natural aspect. Obviously drama included.
Ga-Rei Zero - quiet drama heavy with some supernatural beings and stuff as well as action packed.
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - same old, suprnatural and drama
Mai HiME - comedy at first but later becomes a drama.
Romeo + Juliet - does have some supernatural elements and obviously drama.
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - at first seems to be normal military series but a bit after the middle drama and supernatural things start to happen.
Shiki - I think it counts as drama

And just slight extra if you have a change of heart one day:
Phantom: Requien for the Phantom - not supernatural but gun action, drama heavy.

Ghost Hunt - not drama strong but suspence strong and series are about ghost hunting.
Old 2011-05-31, 19:15   Link #14
ArrowSmith

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is a real gem! It puts all the previous "girls with guns" animes to shame.
Old 2011-05-31, 20:00   Link #15
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

Shinigami no Ballad is kind of like a less angsty Jigoku Shoujo. It's a shame that it's only like 6 episodes long.