AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

Old 2010-10-07, 05:33   Link #581
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

OP is cool.

And I wanted a "I CAN ALREAY SEE THE ENDING!" *glint in glasses*

Though he managed first capture in first episode, very nice.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 05:35   Link #582
solomon

Dude, Hiro is really good as keima. I was surprised.

Other than that an all around solid effort, the story was translated well. Music was surprisingly good in spots, visuals quite nice although the animation isn't quite the epic madhouse standard.

Count it as my 4th fall show along with Bridge 2, PanSto and Star Driver.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 05:43   Link #583
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Before I make said blog post, who's the series composer? The OP is awesome and the style is definitely familiar to me.
Matou Kayato is working on the score for the series, though he has nothing to do with the OP.
Old 2010-10-07, 05:47   Link #584
ImperialX
Audiophile

I'm sorry, I don't like this adaptation. Keima's voice completely failed to capture his arrogant, confident attitude. Cut way too many scenes. Weak cinematography. For an anime that I go into without expectations, it's good. Unfortunately, my expectations were too high, and this adaptation didn't meet them.
ImperialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 06:30   Link #585
Kakkou
Tch.

Anyone tried making sense of the OP lyrics? I've been listening to it over and over with headphones and everything just to figure out what is being sung, it's driving me nuts lol. The part after the chorus is especially incomprehensible to me.

EDIT: Here's my incomplete attempt. I think I've figured out the lyrics till the chorus but after that it gets really tough.
Spoiler for Engrish, Engrish everywhere.:

Last edited by Kakkou; 2010-10-07 at 06:57.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 07:30   Link #586
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

OP was done well IMO. Another similarity with this season is Star Driver. The pacing was well done. I didn't feel any inconsistency and wasn't lost in the story unlike some certain anime which jump here and there Or maybe it's because I've read the manga Hopefully the pacing stays good enough. I mean this is Kami-sama we're talking about right

Can't wait for episode 2.

Saving Done!
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 07:43   Link #587
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Anyone tried making sense of the OP lyrics? I've been listening to it over and over with headphones and everything just to figure out what is being sung, it's driving me nuts lol. The part after the chorus is especially incomprehensible to me.

EDIT: Here's my incomplete attempt. I think I've figured out the lyrics till the chorus but after that it gets really tough.
Spoiler for Engrish, Engrish everywhere.:
Heh, just think that it is not English. Screw lyrics, then only thing left will be bunch of gibberish with fantastic sound and appropriately epic OP animation.
Old 2010-10-07, 07:46   Link #588
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Capturing God.

His contempt for the women of the 3D realm, and reality in general, is as clear as day. He adamantly refuses or limits connections with real people, treats people with a degree of disdain but not outright hatred, yet acknowledges to conform with at least some of society’s norms. Compared to other characters that lose themselves into the realms of fantasy where fantasy and reality blur, Keima in contrast clearly sees the line between them, accepts their difference, yet calmly chooses his fantasy realm over the real world. He may prefer 2D over 3D, but he knows where the lines are drawn and knows how to cross the line when he needs to. He is actually in prefect control of his senses, even when Elsee drops down from Hell (that sounds wrong actually) and tells him he needs to capture girls and release spirits lest he risk decapitation by explosion.

He may be absurd, he might come off as shallow, and clearly his classmates think he’s crazy, but he knows what he’s doing, likes what he’s doing, and takes charge of his life. That’s a strong character there.

The viewer can at least tell that Elsee is a demon who, for reasons yet revealed, makes a contract with Keima to capture spirits trapped in the hearts of maidens. If for some reason you think Elsee went through that too fast, the basics is that a bunch of ghosts and stuff escaped from incarceration and placed themselves inside the hearts of girls with “gaps”, and by gaps it means girls who have a feeling of something “missing” inside their hearts that leave them worried and depressed.

Sounds like every girl you ever met right?

IIRC correctly in the manga Elsee never explicitly tells Keima that love and kissy-kissy is an effective method, because it just so happens that Keima’s method is the romantic angle due to his God-like skill in galge. As for Elsee herself, from a purely anime perspective there isn’t enough to tell about her personality, but you can already conclude with some degree of accuracy that she’s a bungling goof as evidenced by making a pact with a guy who’s expertise is in 2D women. Likewise, based on how she’s always carrying a broom and likes to sweep the floor every time, you might say she’s not really even properly set for the task at hand.

But screw that she’s ssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooo adorable!

As far as I’m concerned I felt that it was a fairly faithful adaptation of the first capture. Naturally as with any adaptation stuff’s always going to be left on the cutting room floor, as evidenced by the choice to remove some minor scenes in the opening of the series and a bit of backstory, but then again the show is about capturing the hearts of girls and stopping the spirits that have taken them. Everything else is more or less secondary, so as long as they don’t cut anything really important out it’s fine by me.

Animation wise the series is looking good. Keima looks exactly the same as he is in his manga form, and the girls have been touched up here and there for reasons I don’t know of, but it shouldn’t be surprising since they’re some of the selling points of the series. Out of everyone personally I think Elsee got the most changes physically speaking. In the manga she was a bit more… girlish and cute. In the anime she’s a bit more… uh… womanly and pretty. Not that I’m complaining.

Then again, am I the only manga reader who thinks her chest is a bit… bigger?

I had always thought that the manga itself was also a bit of a parody of gal games (hence galge), and their applications in real life. Common sense would probably tell us that the things you do in these games wouldn’t work on real women, and you’re more likely to get a slap in the face than a kiss on the cheek. Galge had been for the longest time been aimed for the stereotypical introverted geeky guys who played games, liked anime and had no chance on scoring a girlfriend in real life, thus they turn their attention to 2D dating games for that something they think they can’t get. The girls in these games are tuned towards their own beliefs and biases, and when you compare their supposed difficulties in real life, it’s reasonable to assume that these are tailor-made girls that don’t really exist in real life.

Keima on the other hand is probably the anti-thesis of the galge gamer stereotype. He’s strong minded, strong willed, very intelligent, very observant and extremely driven. He’s actually got some looks, has a lot of confidence and I have no doubt he can get any woman he wanted of he tried. And try he did. Exactly how his game tactics worked on his real world is a basis for questioning, but I’m inclined to believe that it’s because it actually DOES work. Of course you need some balls to do what he did, but I really doubt that you could create a galge without any knowledge about women in the first place.

Perhaps women like this, where galge tactics work on, really exist in real life?
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 08:03   Link #589
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

I watched the Crunchyroll version and wasn't quite happy with the decision to translate kami-san as "divine one" and otomegane as "dweep". Did any of the other subgroups translate these two terms differently?
Old 2010-10-07, 08:05   Link #590
ImAKami
Paragon of Ero

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
He is supposed to say cheesy lines, since after all, this anime is supposed to be parody of anime cliches and he is just following exact lines he has seen in the past games!
I would think the series is more like an affectionate parody of dating sims (RSG), not merely anime cliches, that plays with plethora of moe and heroine archetypes, while its Capture of the Week arcs and storyline tends to poke fun at various clichés and tropes found inside the games themselves.

Being an absolute fanboy of Kaminomi, I am not yet ready to deliver any critique/opinion based on the first episode alone, as I am trying my best not to automatically compare it with its original source subconsciously. I will probably wait for the heroine arc(s) after the next girl to say anything definite about the anime adaptation.

P.S. I cringe every time I hear "loose souls," "Divine One," and "dweeb". And I am not to fond of the translation of "The God of Conquest," as it has too many negative connotations to count and is not entirely precise to its original meaning.

P.S.S. One thing that is certain is that I definitely like Kanae Itou's voice for LC. Her voice is vivacious and pleasant to the ears. Also... I wish I had more spare time to write and engage in discussion here... Lately, unilife has been harsh to my schedule.
Old 2010-10-07, 08:20   Link #591
LKK

I've seen this word, galge, mentioned in several posts. What does it mean?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 08:25   Link #592
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Girl games - Gal Games - Gyaru Games - Gyaru Geimu - Galge.

It's pretty much a dating simulator.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 08:29   Link #593
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
I watched the Crunchyroll version and wasn't quite happy with the decision to translate kami-san as "divine one" and otomegane as "dweep". Did any of the other subgroups translate these two terms differently?
Chihiro did it as God and nerd, I think.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:05   Link #594
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
I kind of agree with Imperialx on this one, since I already read the manga I think I set my expectations too high on the anime. It’s good, but just different than what I expected from the anime adaptation when I read the manga. Having some scenes cut is understandable due to time constraints, but it still feels like something is missing. Eh, to be fair, even in the manga it took quite a while until the plot starts to really going, so perhaps I can just wait until then, checking back irregularly.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:14   Link #595
cloudzer00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Before I make said blog post, who's the series composer? The OP is awesome and the style is definitely familiar to me.
The last part of the OP looks a lot like Eden of the East.
cloudzer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:42   Link #596
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Spoiler:
She does mention you'll find rotten upperclassmen in every world.. kinda hinting she's had her own troubles.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:53   Link #597
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Damn when everyone else had watch it, i'm still stuck here with my books... can't watch TWGOK for now, not for another 13 more hours.

But reading the responses in here, i'm glad that everyone here likes TWGOK. Its a good thing anyway.

And judging from the no of post posted per day, i can smell an "ending" in about 2-3 more episodes...
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 09:58   Link #598
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I quite enjoyed the first episode. It right away establishes the feel for this series. Hopefully it maintains its quality while also remaining entertaining.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 10:03   Link #599
Exether

I really enjoyed the first episode, most anime adaptations of manga I read end up disapointing me but this wasn't the case.

The only thing I didn't like was the "I can see the ending" line. I was expecting more passion.

I think that Jun Fukuyama would have done a great voice for Keima Something a la Lelouch would have been hilarious
Old 2010-10-07, 10:27   Link #600
HandofFate

I remember reading a few manga chapters long ago, but didn't really get into it. The anime episode looks to be starting off entertaining enough for me to follow it. This might be of the rare animes where I enjoy the anime, and don't really care at all about the manga version. Maybe I follow up on it after the anime finishes.

Wonder if the girl conquest end up having bigger roles or if its just girl done and over with. The whole memory loss is only a slight bummer, it would just make things over-complicated anyway.

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen