Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-04, 18:30   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
Pretty much any series where I really was attached to the characters and disliked how it ended.
Yeah, that's also when I get a bit of a Post-Anime Depression.

If I didn't care about the characters all that much, I can usually move on easily.

If I was happy with the ending, then to me it's like a good/great end to a great story, something to be cherished in my memories (and occasionally in fanworks and fan-discussions) rather than to be depressed over it ending.

But when an anime I truly liked (and with at least a few characters in it that I became attached to) gets an ending that I disliked, that's probably the roughest for me, because I know that's it. There's no possibility of "improvement", there's no way I can hope for a different ending. It's over. Questions of "What could have been?" plague my mind a bit.
Old 2012-04-05, 09:16   Link #62
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Any series that has an ending I didn't detest. Those puts my soul into a void and I pretty much stare at the screen blankly and decide I just wasted time.

Anything else, I get really depressed. Because there's no more script, there's no more movement in the anime since it's ended. The intentional sadness in the plot rarely affects me.

Only time I recall being really really depressed was when I first saw F/SN and saber disappears. ... though I think that was the VN... :<
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 04:25   Link #63
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I just finished watching Nisemonogatari, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! today. And Shakugan no Shana Final, Bamboo Blade and Chrono Crusade (latter two are older titles) just yesterday. Needless to say, this (topic) is what I'm experiencing right now, especially because some of those titles were shows that I looked forward to watching, and whose characters I've come to like.

Even though I have other anime available to start watching now, for some reason this feeling is preventing me from starting a new show immediately. I feel both emptiness and a desire to "cherish/keep the moment" of just having finished watching shows I like.
Old 2012-04-08, 09:00   Link #64
DisarestaX
VongolaX/Biribiri

Usually if an anime is able to put me into a post anime depression, there would be at least 1 character that I like very much and very addictive OP and/or ED. The depression could be weeks or even months ..

And during the depression period I will keep finding pictures of my favourite character(s), listen to OP and/or ED over and over again and look for discussion of the series like animesuki. It sort of is my way of recovering faster frm the depression, though there are times where it had the opposite effect .

PS: And I just had this depression the last month, my holiday is pretty much devoured by the depression .
DisarestaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 10:43   Link #65
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarestaX View Post
Usually if an anime is able to put me into a post anime depression, there would be at least 1 character that I like very much and very addictive OP and/or ED. The depression could be weeks or even months ..

And during the depression period I will keep finding pictures of my favourite character(s), listen to OP and/or ED over and over again and look for discussion of the series like animesuki. It sort of is my way of recovering faster frm the depression, though there are times where it had the opposite effect .

PS: And I just had this depression the last month, my holiday is pretty much devoured by the depression .
I feel like sometimes it also depends on the season the anime is shown. For example, if a romance type anime is shown during the winter season and ends close to the spring, it can add to the holiday season blues if that was an especially emotional time of the year for me; not to mention New Years sneaking in around the corner
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 18:15   Link #66
DisarestaX
VongolaX/Biribiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
I feel like sometimes it also depends on the season the anime is shown. For example, if a romance type anime is shown during the winter season and ends close to the spring, it can add to the holiday season blues if that was an especially emotional time of the year for me; not to mention New Years sneaking in around the corner
Sometimes.. But in my case no as the nanoha series have been around for years
Old 2012-04-08, 18:35   Link #67
thehumangod1

my biggest case of post-anime depression was at the end of Dragonball GT. i think i almost cried. that last conversation between Goku and Krillin especially gets to me.
thehumangod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 19:17   Link #68
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

The end of a series is when you realize that the world you have been immerged in until now isn't real.
The world just ended and nothing will evolve anymore, simply because there is no more script.
You want to continue following your favorite characters lifes, but they are frozen in time until a sequel comes out... or forever.
Even as you go on with your life, they will still be stuck in that same state. That's pretty depressing.

This is why specials are great. They send out a lifesign long after the series finished, which makes it seem more like the anime's world is still unfolding, and you can drop in for a visit of old friends.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 12:11   Link #69
YayPepsi

Penguindrum did that to me badly. ;_; I miss it a lot.
Old 2012-04-12, 12:49   Link #70
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Have often felt like I could commit harakiri at the end of the evangelion series...
Old 2012-04-15, 08:56   Link #71
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
The end of a series is when you realize that the world you have been immerged in until now isn't real.
The world just ended and nothing will evolve anymore, simply because there is no more script.
You want to continue following your favorite characters lifes, but they are frozen in time until a sequel comes out... or forever.
Even as you go on with your life, they will still be stuck in that same state. That's pretty depressing.

This is why specials are great. They send out a lifesign long after the series finished, which makes it seem more like the anime's world is still unfolding, and you can drop in for a visit of old friends.
I like the way you phrased all of that, especially about the characters being stuck in time, never changing. I ask myself, "What next?", but anything I think of is just a projection of how I would like things to be. I find it funny how an anime needs to end at some point and how a lot of us know that it has to end since the plot and characters have developed so much and we wouldn't want it to drag out any longer, but it's still difficult to see it all come to a conclusion.

Having a series end that I've enjoyed so much and that evoked so much emotion from me forces me to ask a question about myself such as, "What was it about this anime this made me so emotional?" Sometimes I find things out about myself that I never knew before by watching anime.
Old 2012-04-15, 09:35   Link #72
DisarestaX
VongolaX/Biribiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime-fan10 View Post
I like the way you phrased all of that, especially about the characters being stuck in time, never changing. I ask myself, "What next?", but anything I think of is just a projection of how I would like things to be. I find it funny how an anime needs to end at some point and how a lot of us know that it has to end since the plot and characters have developed so much and we wouldn't want it to drag out any longer, but it's still difficult to see it all come to a conclusion.

Having a series end that I've enjoyed so much and that evoked so much emotion from me forces me to ask a question about myself such as, "What was it about this anime this made me so emotional?" Sometimes I find things out about myself that I never knew before by watching anime.
Totally agree with this.
Old 2012-04-15, 10:58   Link #73
Anime-fan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarestaX View Post
Totally agree with this.
Thanks, I'm glad you found it relatable.
Old 2012-04-16, 12:24   Link #74
tag1981

Depression is rare for me. Watched plenty of Anime that pulled at those heart strings but as far as full on depression.........

Berserk
If you've seen the show you already know why so there is no need to go into detail.

Full Metal Alchemist(1st series)
Spoiler for series:

Samurai Champloo
Spoiler for series:
tag1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 13:13   Link #75
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1981 View Post
Berserk
If you've seen the show you already know why so there is no need to go into detail.
That was a big one for me.

Berserk instilled a real sense of ennui in my when I finished it some 4 years ago. It was the essence of bittersweet, a wonderful experience, but for a few weeks afterwards, nothing else measured up and I had to take a little break.
Old 2012-04-18, 07:07   Link #76
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Yosuga no Sora and Clannad AS in very good way.
School Days in very, very, very, very bad way.
Y'know... I really hated both highlighted series, seriously... but after one year of recovery from warshock, I suddenly find myself torn between moralities and rooting for both Haruka and Sora in the process (BTW, my stand against School Days is still unchanged).

Spoiler for Yosuga no Sora ending:

If you have received my mail as to why I hated the series, that will be my reason why i hated it and why it depresses me to death.

PS: the hallucination-firing thing, that is a sad fact that happens to the Philippine National Police force (especially police officers who got high on crystal meth).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-04-18 at 10:33. Reason: added spoiler tags to be safe
Lenaisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 12:39   Link #77
mei misaki fan

I always end up feeling very sad when an anime that i really loved ends, i think romance ones are the worst for making you feel depressed. ouran high host club was the one i probably missed the most.
mei misaki fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 15:12   Link #78
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

The only anime I remember being sad about when it ended recently was angel beats, for such a short show it really grabbed my ass off the couch and got me hooked. I want more angel beats.
Old 2012-04-21, 16:25   Link #79
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I feel that way about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. After all this show tried to convey, it had to have such a bittersweet ending...
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 17:23   Link #80
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

For me it has to be the whole Aria the Animation series:
Spoiler for the whole series:

Even though I was going to drop it after watching the Animation. I started to enjoy watching them mess about during Natural. Then after seeing where Origination was heading, I Knew it gonna end that way but I just didnt want it to end.
After the end I just remember watching the last two episode everyday for the next 2 weeks.

another one was H2O which for some reason left me in a depressing state that I screw up my mock-exam later that week

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote