AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-24, 07:52   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

sola Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of sola. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.

(Thanks to Catgirls for the above intro)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction:

sola can certainly claim to be one of those series with a high-class voice actors' cast. We don't get to see everyday such a number of appreciated and long experienced seiyuus (Mamiko Noto, Nakahara Mai, Fujiwara Keiji, Shimizu Ai, Koshimizu Ami) appearing one near another on a 13 episodes series. A few small things that deserve to be pointed out:
  1. Mamiko Noto, usually known for voicing some of the most loved non protagonists (one for all, Tsukamoto Yakumo), has been called this time to voice a female lead.
  2. Nakahara Mai, on the other hand, has been assigned to a quiet and very introspective role. Which does not exactly follow her stereotype of sweet, strong and energic girl.
  3. Okamoto Nobuhiko is the male protagonist. It might be worthy mentioning that he's the less experienced member of the whole cast with only a couple of roles before this.
  4. Honda Youko marks her return on the scenes with a important role almost 3 year after having dubbed Uta∽Kata's main protagonist, Ichika.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAST LIST:

Mamiko Noto as Shihou Matsuri

Spoiler:

Okamoto Nobuhiko as Morimiya Yorito

Spoiler:

Nakahara Mai as Morimiya Aono

Spoiler:

Honda Youko as Ishizuki Mana

Spoiler:

Shimizu Ai as Ishizuki Koyori

Spoiler:

Fujiwara Keiji as Tsujidou Takeshi

Spoiler:

Kaneda Tomoko as Kamikawa Mayuko

Spoiler:

Koshimizu Ami as Sakura Sae

Spoiler:

Ono Ryoko as Uehara Touko

Spoiler:

Sayuri Yahagi as Mizuguchi Chisato

Spoiler:

Credits to ANN for the above infos, whose are to be intended as Cast in..

Finally, here's a picture of the main cast. The quality is so so, but at least it gives the idea (by the way, if someone finds a bigger version, post it and I'll update).

Standing, from left to right: Ai Shimizu (Koyori) - Honda Youko (Mana) - Tomoko Kaneda (Mayuko) - Keiji Fujiwara (Takeshi)

Sitting, left to right: Mai Nakahara (Aono) - Nobuhiko Okamoto (Yorito) - Mamiko Noto (Matsuri)
Old 2007-04-24, 07:57   Link #2
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Well, if there is something I love to point out, that Noto's role as Matsuri is quite a break from her previous roles, since as it has been said, she is usually type-casted as a soft girl in animes.

Nakahara also takes an interesting turn in sola as Aono, since most animes she have a role in will usually have her as a cheerful character (probably the Mai/Nagisa effect, that is to give positive energy to others), and here her character have the opposite effect.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 08:03   Link #3
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Why are Nakahara and Shimizu always in anime together. Are they tied to the hip or something? And, yes, I've seen the Strawberry Panic ED video clip and that just made me more confused... about a lot of things.

The voice acting in this anime has been competent, but nothing special, and I'd say none of the seasoned veterans in this series (of which there are, obviously, a few) are putting out a career-best performance. They're each doing a fair job, but none of them is really shining. It is interesting to see Nakahara in a role vastly different from her staple, but it's not what I'd consider a terribly demanding role. She does bring her own little nuances to it, though.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 08:29   Link #4
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I absolutely love the performance Mamiko Noto is putting out here. My vast liking to Matsuri can be partially attributed to her voice, and i think Mamiko is doing a very commendable job here.
Old 2007-04-24, 09:33   Link #5
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

One of the reasons I'm keeping such a close tab on Sola is Mamiko Noto and Nakahara Mai; as these two play two very important roles to the one upcoming anime series I hunger for above all else, which is KyoAni's CLANNAD (TV), I think of watching Sola as watching a preview on the performance ability of these two seiyuus.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 10:02   Link #6
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Why are Nakahara and Shimizu always in anime together. Are they tied to the hip or something? And, yes, I've seen the Strawberry Panic ED video clip and that just made me more confused... about a lot of things.
Probably something of an on-screen chemistry that has been there since something like Mai-HiME and StoPani.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 21:01   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Why are Nakahara and Shimizu always in anime together. Are they tied to the hip or something? And, yes, I've seen the Strawberry Panic ED video clip and that just made me more confused... about a lot of things. The voice acting in this anime has been competent, but nothing special, and I'd say none of the seasoned veterans in this series (of which there are, obviously, a few) are putting out a career-best performance. They're each doing a fair job, but none of them is really shining. It is interesting to see Nakahara in a role vastly different from her staple, but it's not what I'd consider a terribly demanding role. She does bring her own little nuances to it, though.
I too wonder why Ai and Mai are so often cast together. I checked and they are not repped by the same agency (Ai is with 81Produce, Mai with I"m Enterprise). They did have at least one long-running radio show together. And they are among the seiyuu rumored to have a yuri relationship, but that is probably just for laughs and for show, like the ED. And would likely not much affect what shows they were cast in, anyway.

I do tend to be optimistic about things, but I see Mai's performance as quite promising. She is bringing some little twists, and I look forward to hearing what she does when the role becomes more prominent in the show. Ai is just doing her thing.

I am finding Noto Kawaii's performance pretty riveting, though. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just that the role exposes the hypnotically beautiful aspect of her voice better than her other recent roles. I do think she's capturing a lovely interplay of innocence and experience, normalcy and weirdness. Perhaps that's the skill she's showing. Or maybe it's her real personality.

The seiyuu I'm most interested in, however, is Honda Youko, who plays Mana. Not because she's doing an especially remarkable job -- although she's doing very well, I think -- but because I liked her as the lead in Uta~Kata over two years ago, and she is only just now returning to any prominent roles. I think she had a middling role in Inukami, but not much else since fall '04. It sometimes seems that when young seiyuu get an early starring role, they are then relegated to minor roles or no roles for a while before they crawl back up, if they ever do. Is this true?

In Youko's case I sometimes think that the nickname Asano Masumi gave her -- "Yoda" -- is partly to blame. The nickname is supposedly based on Yoko Honda, but unfortunately she does look a tiny bit like Yoda from Star Wars.

There is another of my favorites in this show: Yahagi Sayuri, who plays a classmate. I think we've seen her once, rejecting the weird doll. It sounded to me as if she was treating this as a training session, as she did Akazukin, and squelching the uniqueness of her voice for the sake of being a dependable pro. Unlike Karin and Kyoushirou, where she let it all hang out.

I think we did hear Koshimizu Ami in this past episode, as a classmate, again showing her ability to make her voice sound any way she wants.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 08:59   Link #8
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

An interview with Nakahara Mai (Aono) and Noto Mamiko (Matsuri) on Sola. Not much new info, but it is nice to see the seiyuu on screen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VmsHwjwJnbo

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-06-17 at 10:20.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 19:39   Link #9
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Noto Mamiko mentioned Sola in her Otacon panel.

"For Matsuri, I wanted to portray a lot of sadness and loneliness in her voice. It was a different kind of challenge."

Story on ANN
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote