AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-09, 13:27   Link #181
cutesherry
.:Sweet Dreamer:.

I watched the first 10 episodes already ^^
And wow, the very first Macross was really concentrating a lot more on the mecha part, compared to all the others Macross series afterward...and I love it! XD
Actually, when I was still young (like, 12-13 years ago...), I was introduced to Macross World through Macross 2, the OAV and Movies, then 7, zero and Frontier...but for whatever reason, I never went back to the 'origin' until now...it feels weird though, to see Hikaru so attached to Minmay while knowing he will end with someone else, I can't help thinking just when his love interest will change so dramatically and just how in the hell will that happen ^^;;
I want to know more about the Zentradis too!!
*gone to watch more*

edit: on another note, minmay and hikaru's personalities are different from what I had imagined...

Last edited by cutesherry; 2009-11-09 at 14:49.
cutesherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 14:59   Link #182
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's a shame you already know how it's going to turn out, though i guess that's one way you can enjoy the series. I mean now you can take time and enjoy the development between the three of them under a different light, instead of starting to ship your favorite couple.

I'm glad you're enjoying it though. Make sure you watch DYRL after you've finished with the TV series.
Old 2009-11-09, 19:37   Link #183
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Aahhh... I'm actually rewatching the series when I have some free time, and I feel like the romance is more mature than in recent series, and Kamjin antics makes me laugh.
I remember when I first seen it, when I was 5-6 years old, it was the robotech version at the time (and the dub was quite good for these days in France).
I've seen it alongside Goldorak (a.k.a. UFO Robot Grendizer), but it's Macross that hooked me to the mecha genre.

I concur with Shiroth, watch DYRL after, it's a masterpiece.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 14:59   Link #184
cutesherry

And so!
Now I've seen Macross SDF entirely (36eps), together with the movie DYRL, and I skipped quickly through FB2012.

I am absolutely sure of one thing: even if I hadn't know about the outcome of the Love triangle, I would still have liked Misa better.
I had always imagined Minmay as girlish and sweet, somewhat mischievous/playful and even a bit superficial at times...but I wasn't prepared to confront a fickle, capricious, and seriously immature Minmay to be sincere ^^;; Ironically, my 'image' of Minmay, before watching anything, coincided exactly with how they've made her into in DYRL, but not the series.
That said, I was reconciled with her character in the movie, in which she was proven to be stronger and gentler, so nice and lovely!!! ^^
Same goes for Hikaru, in the series, he dragged out his feelings for Minmay far too long, in the end it was almost pathetic ^^;; While in the movie, the confidences in his actions and words really made my heart skip a beat! When he clearly stated to Misa that she was the one he wanted to spend his life with and that he was absolutely sure of his own feelings, I couldn't help gleefully tearing up....
My one critic is that I didn't like the line "You still have your songs", to Minmay, which is pretty much what he told her in both the movie and series. For me, this is the kind of line that sounds as awful as "We can't be lovers, but let's be friends!". Minmay lost her chance with Hikaru by her own fault, she didn't value him enough until it was too late; still, to have her 'dismissed' with an "you'll be fine on your own, you've got your songs" made me cringe...

On the whole, I can say that I am very VERY happy I finally watched it all: my comprehension of Macross World is a lot cleared now and that just reminded me just how nice the 80/90 anime were, it really was another generation...I suddenly feel very old aha~

Macross Frontier sure seems a lot more childish in many aspects compared to SDF, even though the characters are more or less the same ages. But I guess this is this century's anime generation 'style' somehow?
I wonder if Ranka will get a Minmay-like make over in the movie too, making her character less helpless and more confident in her acts and decisions? *and then a moving SxA final to wrap it all up, with a more mature and cuter Sheryl that is, please drop the diva act in front of Alto! :P*

On another note, do you guys have more information about Hikaru and Misa's fates?
I read online they got married and have a baby girl, but from where are these information from? Was it animated?

Last edited by cutesherry; 2009-11-10 at 15:11.
Old 2009-11-10, 15:04   Link #185
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutesherry View Post
My one critic is that I didn't like the line "You still have your songs", to Minmay, which is pretty much what he told her in both the movie and series. For me, this is the kind of line that sounds as awful as "We can't be lovers, but let's be friends!". Minmay lost her chance with Hikaru by her own fault, she didn't value him enough until it was too late; still, to have her 'dismissed' with an "you'll be fine on your own, you've got your songs" made me cringe..
I agree with you. Poor choice of words for what the guy wanted to get across. I haven't watched this in a few years but Minmay, I think, was prevented from pursuing Hikaru, and life in general, by her music career. And I guess its a choice you have to make, you can't really have both.

I'll have to watch this again once I get the DVDs back from my friend whom I lent them to.
Old 2009-11-10, 15:49   Link #186
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Glad you enjoyed the series. It is, and always will be, one of my favourites.

Quote:
On another note, do you guys have more information about Hikaru and Misa's fates?
I read online they got married and have a baby girl, but from where are these information from? Was it animated?
No, it was never animated. It just came up in production material according to the Macross Compendium. There's nothing official on their fates other than their fleet going MIA on the way to the centre of the galaxy. I wouldn't get your hopes up for any information beyond that... I believe Kawamori is on record as saying he isn't going to revisit that story.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 21:37   Link #187
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
And so!
As others have said, it was never animated. All we have about little Miku Ichijo is a couple of references in Macross Guide Books, and this pic, which is from an official book (Macross Graffiti), but may or may not be truly official:

To make matters worse as far as Minmay goes, according to some official sources, Hikaru and Misa got married on Minmay's birthday!

And speaking of Minmay's birthday...have you checked out "My Fair Minmay"? It's on Nyaatorrents, or I can send you the Megaupload link if you'd like. It's not terribly essential, but it's interesting.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 04:46   Link #188
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
To make matters worse as far as Minmay goes, according to some official sources, Hikaru and Misa got married on Minmay's birthday!
Yeah i remember hearing this. That's one way to suck it to someone. So horrible.

& i recommend 'My Fair Minmay'. Translated by Yot-chan, of course.
Old 2009-11-11, 05:09   Link #189
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Cai I recommend it too?

Nice pics, by the way.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 13:51   Link #190
cutesherry

I would really love to read "My fair Minmay"!
Could anyone here link me to it if possible?
Old 2009-11-11, 15:10   Link #191
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I would really love to read "My fair Minmay"!
Could anyone here link me to it if possible?
Will do.
Old 2009-11-13, 10:28   Link #192
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I thought the ship they boarded in got lost in space forever, along with Minamy? I really need to watch this series as soon as possible, I only bothered to watch the movies so far.

Quote:
I only watched the movies so far, but I can tell I will never like Minmay; so I'm kinda happy.
Old 2009-11-13, 10:36   Link #193
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
I thought the ship they boarded in got lost in space forever, along with Minamy? I really need to watch this series as soon as possible, I only bothered to watch the movies so far.
Snowblind did mention that already.
Old 2009-11-19, 12:46   Link #194
scarlet512
カレン愛してるよ

I've been watching SDF Macross alongside Macross F nowadays just to spot the comparisons.
scarlet512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 23:10   Link #195
robotechtehbest

Macross japanese not good. Robotech Macross Saga superior version, cut nude, more about war, best soundtrack, best dub ever.
robotechtehbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 23:21   Link #196
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotechtehbest View Post
Macross japanese not good. Robotech Macross Saga superior version, cut nude, more about war, best soundtrack, best dub ever.
And what relevance does your post hold? I hope you realize that you're also speaking in fragments, would you care to make a more coherent post? All you listed there is opinions about why you believe Robotech is better, which was way too disjointed for me to even bother with but I digress. I'm just feeding a troll

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-12-08 at 23:56. Reason: Typo -_-
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 23:52   Link #197
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotechtehbest View Post
lol, robotech the copied version of macross and you say is better than its original?

and firstly you're in the wrong forum, robotech is not an anime, it's a cartoon
so you can start pack your things and go to some random cartoon's forum.
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 08:25   Link #198
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think he is trying to start a fight or something.

Robotech is three different anime series butchered and mashed into one series. It can't compare with Macross and it tarnishes the Macross name too.
Old 2009-12-10, 03:40   Link #199
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

Robotech is three different anime series butchered and mashed into one series. It can't compare with Macross and it tarnishes the Macross name too.
Super Robot Wars is better than Macross because it is longer, has Gundams and Evas, more awesome fights, cut all the boring useless character development filler in anime and Roy Focker lives.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 04:10   Link #200
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

Well, Macross in its original form I'd agree is obviously better. However...

They didn't really change that much to the point of it being "butchered," particularly in Macross, in the conversion to Robotech. They changed the music to be Western, names were Anglicized (the ones that weren't Western already), they changed what Protoculture was, and they made the Supervision Army ship into a Robotech Masters' ship. For a real butchering of an anime by an American company, I'd look at The Vision of Escaflowne as aired on Fox Kids (in 2000 no less). They cut the first episode (which explains the show premise), edited the content heavily for violence, removed some of the Kanno Yoko soundtrack with techno, added many flashback scenes about things that just occurred, and edited the show to generally lower the importance of the female main protagonist to make the show more about the male characters. Compared to something like that, Robotech wasn't too bad, especially since it was adapted in 1985. Not every thing they changed was horrible even; I'd say I like a lot of the non-Minmay music from Robotech as much or more than the Macross background music. (Don't hate me )

From what I understand, Carl Macek combined Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada because the Harmony Gold wasn't interested shows for syndication unless they were a certain length (60+ or something). As far as tarnishing Macross, it was one of the first American releases of an anime that actually had a plot line and helped popularize anime in general in the West. So while it's not quite up to the same standards of the classic that is Macross, I certainly don't think it was a disservice to the franchise to adapt it they way they did, considering the time and circumstances. If Robotech were a modern adaption, that'd be another story all together, and I would certainly have to agree with you.

Tags
action, mecha, romance