AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-14, 17:27   Link #201
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Haruhi must be some sweet talker or something to demand goods and become successful.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:31   Link #202
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Once again, Haruhiists and Kyonphiles and gender-bender-renders, it's time for a Triple_R Queen of Queens (since that's what Haruhi is!) minutia review!

(...)

Overall, a very solid 8/10.

And that ends this week's Queen of Queens review! I hope people enjoyed reading it!

Nice review man. I already said tht, but would be cool having a blog for this kind of thing. They are cool, but are huge. Don't fit very well in fast discussion tread like that.

A funny fact, you said Kyon is the most out shaped member of the Brigade (besides Mikuru). While it is true, he is also the more exited one besides Haruhi. Yuki don't show any emotion, and Mikuru and Koizumi are obvious only doing it by obligation. Kyon, however seem to try hard, even complaning.

About the art, I think it sucks when compared to the first run (and some particularly good E8). However, is not as bad as most call. Is avarage compared to most anime I've see.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:46   Link #203
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
Meh, average episode. I really don't have any interest in the making of the movie that was shown in S1.

Also I'm starting to dislike Haruhi as a person. I can't believe that she was actually going to purposely spill hot tea on Kyon. If I was was in his position I would give her cold stare and firmly say, "Are you serious?" Right now she's a brat and she needs to learn her place.
The anime really didn't handle that scene well. The only way that scene can make Haruhi look less of a complete brat is if they played up her getting jealous of Kyon's affections towards Mikuru before making the "spill hot tea on Kyon" order. Then at least it wouldn't be any worse than typical harem anime slapstick comedy.

As is... it's just mind-boggling cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Nice review man. I already said tht, but would be cool having a blog for this kind of thing. They are cool, but are huge. Don't fit very well in fast discussion tread like that.

A funny fact, you said Kyon is the most out shaped member of the Brigade (besides Mikuru). While it is true, he is also the more exited one besides Haruhi. Yuki don't show any emotion, and Mikuru and Koizumi are obvious only doing it by obligation. Kyon, however seem to try hard, even complaning.

About the art, I think it sucks when compared to the first run (and some particularly good E8). However, is not as bad as most call. Is avarage compared to most anime I've see.
Thanks a lot!

Kyon gave real effort, yeah. He was perhaps unique there. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I might go with a blog in the future - however, I'm having a hard time finding a good blog hosting site. Any suggestions?
Old 2009-08-14, 18:00   Link #204
Heatth

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

Kyon gave real effort, yeah. He was perhaps unique there. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I might go with a blog in the future - however, I'm having a hard time finding a good blog hosting site. Any suggestions?
Well, wordpress seens to be popular. And is free.
Old 2009-08-14, 18:02   Link #205
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
After this episode Im sure of one thing: Im not a fan of the new design :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
Also I'm starting to dislike Haruhi as a person. I can't believe that she was actually going to purposely spill hot tea on Kyon. If I was was in his position I would give her cold stare and firmly say, "Are you serious?" Right now she's a brat and she needs to learn her place.
QFT
Yeah, I agree.
Haruhi is my all time favorite anime character, but after this episode... erm, I have a mixed feelings.
Old 2009-08-14, 18:14   Link #206
Akka

Hu...
She's been all that, and much worse, during the whole first season...
Were you asleep or what ? She's just at their typical herself before her "mellowing".
Old 2009-08-14, 18:14   Link #207
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Well shit, it's almost like I don't even care about it anymore. My brother downloaded the new episode instead of me and I haven't even watched it yet. Seeing the disgusting art of the new episode doesn't really help.

Back before the Endless Eight troll I couldn't wait to watch it and now I barely care. Damn it.

Regarding Haruhi: I think she acts different now. She's much happier and "cute". In Season 1, she had a serious streak of "unstoppable Genki Girl" with.. I don't know, megalomania! Now she's too busy being cutesy and I hate listening to her "happy voice".
Old 2009-08-14, 18:16   Link #208
chinaboat

I think the Haruhi/Kyon tea sequence, to me, comes across as Haruhi testing her limits with Kyon; she found them and accepted them. The two of them now have established the ground rule that while Haruhi will consistently ignore Kyon's advice when he says she must or can not do something she never argues. Also, in the aftermath of "Melancholy" this is when Kyon begins to see himself as Haruhi's protector (primarily from herself) as opposed to the three observers.

I look forward to this arc, it wasn't the greatest but there were some truly humorous moments that I trust will be even better in anime form.
Old 2009-08-14, 18:26   Link #209
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Hu...
She's been all that, and much worse, during the whole first season...
Were you asleep or what ? She's just at their typical herself before her "mellowing".
I'm kind of with Akka here. Haruhi's not meant to be sugar and spice and everything nice. She's meant to have a very combative, reckless, and sometimes even vindictive side [mod edit: removed spoiler -- no future novel events in this thread!!!]

In fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Well shit, it's almost like I don't even care about it anymore. My brother downloaded the new episode instead of me and I haven't even watched it yet. Seeing the disgusting art of the new episode doesn't really help.

Back before the Endless Eight troll I couldn't wait to watch it and now I barely care. Damn it.

Regarding Haruhi: I think she acts different now. She's much happier and "cute". In Season 1, she had a serious streak of "unstoppable Genki Girl" with.. I don't know, megalomania! Now she's too busy being cutesy and I hate listening to her "happy voice".
I'm with you. I actually want to see more of the serious streak of the unstoppable/megalomaniacal Genki Girl. A bit too much of her happy voice for my liking as well.

Still, good news for you here, Takamura - the rest of this arc should contain more of the Haruhi that you and I like if it's a faithful adaptation.

That being said... I like for there to be a method to Haruhi's madness. And I didn't see it in the anime's version of the "spill hot tea on Kyon" scene.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-08-15 at 02:18. Reason: removed spoilers
Old 2009-08-14, 18:37   Link #210
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Yeah, right...
Old 2009-08-14, 18:37   Link #211
Jintor

HOORAY TANIGUCHI AND KUNIKIDA

I hearby declare this the 'Hot Tea Character Interpretation Horizon'.

On the other hand, a lot of my friends joke around like that a lot... so I don't know.

lol@camera shake when focusing on Haruhi. Actually, Kyon-eye view is getting used a bit here.

Most of the music seems to be Original Series music, haha, probably to get us back in the 'school groove'.

I honestly can't tell whether Kyon's dialogue is in his head or out loud, except by looking at the mouths now. Which is awesome.

FFFpFpfTT ROBOT YUKI

Oh man a lot of the Kyon-Haruhi immediate banter is killing me this episode.

Hey, two girls in - whatever that high school is called - Uniform. At first I thought they were a K-on reference, ha-ah.

The dynamite line made me fall off my chair. > >

Last edited by Jintor; 2009-08-14 at 19:00.
Old 2009-08-14, 18:42   Link #212
Triple_R
*Author

[mod edit: removed quoted spoiler]

Yeah, I'll give you that.

At the moment, though... I would never want to go to a tea party that Haruhi is hosting. (just to keep this on-topic)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-08-15 at 02:19. Reason: removed spoiler
Old 2009-08-14, 18:49   Link #213
Heatth

Quote:
Yeah, I'll give you that.

At the moment, though... I would never want to go to a tea party that Haruhi is hosting. (just to keep this on-topic)
If she is hosting, the is Mikuru who is serving right? I would totally like to be there

Anyway, she still has to hit her worse point in this arc. I expect many more people hating her after this. Especially because most will not rewatch Live A Live, so will have to wait god knows how many moths/years, before seeing her getting better.
Old 2009-08-14, 19:03   Link #214
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
If she is hosting, the is Mikuru who is serving right? I would totally like to be there

Anyway, she still has to hit her worse point in this arc. I expect many more people hating her after this. Especially because most will not rewatch Live A Live, so will have to wait god knows how many moths/years, before seeing her getting better.
Depends if she's getting her comeuppance or not. Cathartic release can do wonders to public.

Though I don't believe so, as the whole Haruhi character is to be a bitch and get away with it.
Old 2009-08-14, 19:09   Link #215
Jintor

BTW Akka, since Haruhi is effectively still a bitch right now (up until either halfway through Sighs or Live Alive), let's just say I'm currently sympathetic to your views on her character.
Old 2009-08-14, 20:39   Link #216
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

So I finally watched the sub lol.

First off, I had to get used to paying close attention to the subs again. Being a very dialogue heavy episode didn't help lol. The fact that there wasn't a lot going on besides talking didn't really make the episode that great. Still fun to see them discussing and stuff but I'd put this episode as one of the lower points of the series. Also, did anyone else think the episode ended at a funny spot? I noticed that when I watched it air. It's almost like they animated the whole arc and just took out the first chunk to air it as part one.

It looks like this arc will be the best one to bridge the gap between old and new stories. The beginning of Sigh has Kyon talking about Endless Eight and if the arc does end with them getting ready to watch the movie it'll lead right into that episode from the original. BLR doesn't really have a story around it that relies on it and the same for stories pre-Endless Eight.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-08-14, 21:36   Link #217
Gibber

Haruhi was really evil when she was gonna spill tea on Kyon and she said "Be quiet" to Mikuru. I loved that.
Old 2009-08-14, 22:33   Link #218
OkamiNoKaze

Maybe it was Haruhi's Homage to the finale of Sopranos. My opinion is Haruhi watched Jesus Christ: Vampire Slayer or any number of the movies shown on MST3K in their original form.
Old 2009-08-14, 23:01   Link #219
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
"VERY INTERESTING..."

Straight/Bi/Confused/Whatever Itsuki is hilarious. ...No, Itsuki is hilarious. There we go.

I couldn't help but laugh when Haruhi motioned to pour hot tea on Kyon. Probably because I'd do the same if I had the chance. :C orz

So-so episode. It was a refreshing break from Endless Eight but wasn't as entertaining as I hoped.

My boyfriend has yet to stop quoting this episode yet though and I really, really, really, really want to punch him. ...Yay? /random

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Old 2009-08-14, 23:12   Link #220
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Ahh, finally watched the subs. I was generally amused, now that I know what they're saying. The background music was very nice. The artwork . . . well, The Melancholy of Hirasawa Yui beats 595 Years of Kyon Being an Idiot Endless Eight every day of the week and twice on Sunday. In anime-verse TMoSH, Haruhi's attempted tea-bath seemed to be more on the "Heheh, just playing"-side than the equivalent scene in the novel-verse. She does notice Kyon going off into lala-land while staring at Mikuru, and I tell myself this is what prompts her to go for a little payback. When she said she'd never write a show where someone dies at the end, I had to laugh, given how I view the end of each Endless Eight loop (i.e. everybody dies at the end. Repeatedly.)

All in all, a light, fluffy episode. I look forward to the descent into madness that will be the Making of The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina . . . err, I mean Sighs.