AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-24, 02:33   Link #1
james0246

One Piece - Chapter 609 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

---
Apparently confirmed, though brief...

Quote:
-Jinbei and the Fishman Pirates are confirmed to have left the island.

-While Luffy and company are on the island, new characters called the Three Prince of the Neptune Army came from the Ryuuguu Palace to find Luffy and his crew. Apparently the three Princes visit the section of the island Luffy is on, and question the mermaids as to Luffy's location. The eldest brother seems smart and confident, but the other 2 brothers appear to be mentally challenged (this info has not been confirmed yet).

-Meanwhile, Sanji begins to die from his constant nose bleeding (as he is hidden under a pile of mermaids as the Princes visit). Chopper immediately asks for blood donations from the Fishmen and Mermaids, only for them to coldly reject Chopper's pleas. It seems Fisher Tiger was in a similar situation in the past, only he was dying from loss of blood while surrounded by humans. By refusing to give him a blood transfusion (for what turned out to be an easily treatable injury), the humans let Fisher Tiger die. Consequently, it became forbidden to give blood to any human.

-That being said, The New Fishmen Pirates leader's name is Hody Jones.

That’s it for now...
Old 2010-12-24, 02:40   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The leader's name is Hody Jones eh? I can imagine where Oda got the inspiration for that name.~

Three princes? Makes me wonder when that mermaid princess that was mentioned way back will appear.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2010-12-24 at 03:25.
Old 2010-12-24, 02:46   Link #3
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

All things considered, dying from exposure to hotness isn't exactly a bad way to go.
Old 2010-12-24, 04:53   Link #4
andy

The whole script is out for those who want to read it.
Old 2010-12-24, 05:06   Link #5
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Ah yes. I remember those fishmen from arlong arc were mentally challenged. Not surprised to find more.
Old 2010-12-24, 10:29   Link #6
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
All things considered, dying from exposure to hotness isn't exactly a bad way to go.
But dying as a virgin cannot be good for him. At any case from the last chapter I'm dissapointed that Camie didn't rescue Nami from the crashsite. I should give her a stony paw swat for that.
Old 2010-12-24, 11:53   Link #7
marvelB

D'aaawwww..... I had actually caught the spoilers and was about to make the thread myself in the wee hours of the morning before, by some unfortunate twist of fate, I was ushered to bed. Well, there's always the next spoiler, I suppose.....

Anyway, read the script. Quite an interesting chapter here, yesiree. I really want to check out these mermaid princes, since they sound like pretty interesting characters (and they're the strongest of the Neptune army, eh....?). I was also pretty much right about the new regime forcing Jinbei to leave his homeland, as well. But that stuff about Fisher Tiger is definitely the most interesting part about the chapter by far. Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if it had actually turned out that Tiger willingly refused to accept the humans' blood to save his life, rather than the other way around. Well, the inevitable flashback should tell us the whole story soon enough.....

And of course, I'm looking forward to Hodi Jones' full reveal (hopefully in the next chapter). I also have a feeling that what Camie said about fewer human tourists arriving at the island has something to do with Van der Decken's "ghost pirate" crew.......

Edit: Oh, and kind of a shame to learn that Hammond got instantly KO'ed by Luffy this chapter. I guess he wasn't one of Jones' top fighters after all (but hopefully, they'll appear soon)......
Old 2010-12-24, 14:39   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

The Fisher Tiger part is also the highlight of the chapter for me. Hopefully Oda will delve further into his past in the subsequent chapters soon to come.

As for Sanji's critical blood loss, I understand that it's just a joke, but I think Oda is taking it a bit too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Edit: Oh, and kind of a shame to learn that Hammond got instantly KO'ed by Luffy this chapter. I guess he wasn't one of Jones' top fighters after all (but hopefully, they'll appear soon)......
Now that's disappointing. I don't want all of the other hostile fishmen to be absolute fodder. Hody Jones better be exceptionally dangerous/powerful.
Old 2010-12-24, 15:45   Link #9
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Sanji is tard for dying. He deserves to die.

Considering Ivankov can turn men into women, I doubt Sanji had a lack of girls to look at.

Either way, it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen next. Fishmen give their blood to Sanji because Luffy saves them and whatnot.
Old 2010-12-24, 18:29   Link #10
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
So now we all know HOW Fisher Tiger died~

Poor, poor Sanji..... though, what an awesome way to go~
Old 2010-12-24, 18:43   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
As for Sanji's critical blood loss, I understand that it's just a joke, but I think Oda is taking it a bit too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
Sanji is tard for dying. He deserves to die.
It was a very disappointing moment. I understand why Oda did it (he needed some way of providing info on Tiger), but I can't help but wonder if there couldn't have been a better approach (maybe Sanji, since he has actually been in the ocean, could have gotten the Bends, and started bleeding profusely...or something along those lines), especially considering how silly the segue to Fisher Tiger looks when Sanji's illness is so stupid (unless Tiger died due to stepping on a rusty nail or getting a paper cut, the comparison between Sanji's and Tiger's situation is very lackadaisical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Now that's disappointing. I don't want all of the other hostile fishmen to be absolute fodder. Hody Jones better be exceptionally dangerous/powerful.
As I've said many times now, I am really not expecting a serious arc out of Fishman Island. My prediction, as of this spoiler, is that this arc will only last another 10 or so chapters.
Old 2010-12-24, 18:58   Link #12
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
I find it is usually better to read the chapter than rely on spoilers. I expect that would be the last we see of the joke though. Too bad, the joke came with fanservice attached.
Old 2010-12-24, 19:00   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

dying under a pile of Mermaid...not a bad way to go if you got to go.
Old 2010-12-24, 20:15   Link #14
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
As I've said many times now, I am really not expecting a serious arc out of Fishman Island. My prediction, as of this spoiler, is that this arc will only last another 10 or so chapters.

I'd agree with you..... if this particular island didn't have several years of build-up behind it (I mean, we've known about this place since the East Blue arcs!). Therefore, I see no way that this storyline will be wrapped up as few as 10 chapters. At the very least, I'd expect it to be roughly the same length as Thriller Bark (around the neighborhood of 40-50 chapters), and THEN we can finally focus on the New World.....

As far as the Sanji gags go, to me this isn't much different from the Buggy gags during Marineford. True, it may seem a bit too silly that Sanji's dirty mind is doing him in (and even moreso that it triggers a plot device), but it's all in good fun, IMO. Heck, even Oda acknowledges how preposterous the situation is (note Usopp's comment about Sanji dying in such a stupid fashion), so I have no major beef with the gag......
Old 2010-12-24, 22:09   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
I'd agree with you..... if this particular island didn't have several years of build-up behind it (I mean, we've known about this place since the East Blue arcs!). Therefore, I see no way that this storyline will be wrapped up as few as 10 chapters. At the very least, I'd expect it to be roughly the same length as Thriller Bark (around the neighborhood of 40-50 chapters), and THEN we can finally focus on the New World.....
Within the first few chapters of Thriller Bar we learned of the presence of a Shichibukai, a potential crew mate, and an actual mystery. None such relevant plot points have been introduced so far (well, Van der Decken could be something). Instead, we've learned that the Shichibukai has left, the nobility merely wishes to tell Luffy of this, and the big bad doesn't seem too interesting (considering he seems a carbon copy of Arlong or the Tenryuubito).

That being said, the Impel Down arc was only 24 chapters and that destination (maybe not destination, but definetly location) had been known for hundreds of chapters, so why should Fishman Island arc (which has been known for hundreds of chapters) be any different?

Quote:
As far as the Sanji gags go, to me this isn't much different from the Buggy gags during Marineford. True, it may seem a bit too silly that Sanji's dirty mind is doing him in (and even moreso that it triggers a plot device), but it's all in good fun, IMO. Heck, even Oda acknowledges how preposterous the situation is (note Usopp's comment about Sanji dying in such a stupid fashion), so I have no major beef with the gag......
I do not mind the gag, I mind that Oda is using a silly gag as a segue and comparison to the extreme racism against the Fishmen/Mermaids. It's just a very weak transition that really downplays the impact of Tiger's death.
Old 2010-12-25, 01:26   Link #16
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, the Impel Down arc was only 24 chapters and that destination (maybe not destination, but definetly location) had been known for hundreds of chapters, so why should Fishman Island arc (which has been known for hundreds of chapters) be any different?

I think the main difference between Merman island and ID (aside from the fact that we've known about MI for much longer) would be, as I already mentioned in my last post, the amount of build-up it had. I mean sure, we knew that ID held the most dangerous criminals ever and all that jazz, but that's all we really knew (well, that and the BW guys being sent there, but still). Meanwhile, we had a LOT of little hints and details throughout the series that would obviously be addressed in this storyline (the strongest mer-swordsman, the Sun pirates, the mermaid princess, Arlong's connection to Jinbei, the world nobles and of course Fisher Tiger, to name the more prominent ones). I just don't see all those loose threads being untangled in the span of a mere 10 chapters. No, I see this storyline being, at the very least, a good mid-length arc......

And as far as Jones goes, he still hasn't been properly revealed yet, so it's too soon to judge whether or not he'll be a mere Arlong clone. Heck, he may not actually be the main boss of this arc......
Old 2010-12-25, 02:13   Link #17
james0246

^I do not doubt the set-up for Fishman Island; rather I doubt the actual stay. Specifically, many of the reasons we originally had for going to the island (meeting Jinbei; seeing Arlong's roots; finding out Tiger's background; etc), have either become irrelevant (Jinbei has left, and he was one of the 2 major reasons Luffy was going to the island (the other being the Log Post)) or they need not be there that long to explore (we've already learned something major about Tiger's past (and without a flashback, the rest of what we will learn will be confined to a chapter or two); and so far there is no distinction between the new Fishmen pirates and Arlong's pirates (hopefully this will change)). About the only real mystery left that hasn't been mentioned is when they will meet the Mermaid Princess (it is still unknown if Van der Decken has anything to do with Fishman Island, so he could be a set-up for the next arc, or he could become the Gan Fall/Kokoro for this arc).
Old 2010-12-25, 02:48   Link #18
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

About the nosebleed thing, that's why Usopp is there as POV of the readers, guys.
He's the only one noticing the rediculousness of the situation, and as a result, make a humor out of it.

"dude, this is a dumb way to die" "look at the idiot's face. He's still smiling" "never thought (something as silly as) nosebleeding could lead to serious condition" etc, etc.

He's what's called a "tsukkomi" role in Japanese comedy. A voice of reason in comedian stand ups.
If you don't get it, then you haven't really read the script. Oda is FULLY aware of how silly this plot line is, and you're missing the point.
Old 2010-12-25, 13:08   Link #19
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

What a pleasant Christmas present.

It's really nice to see Sanji getting a lot of love from the mermaids. I've always hated the unsuccessful with women joke when it's used as a running gag.

The wait for the next chapter is going to be a long one, though.
Old 2010-12-25, 14:38   Link #20
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Jinbe left a message for the Strawhats huh? I wonder what it could be...

I'm still curious about what happened to the other 5 members of the crew. Hope we find out soon.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion