AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-11, 10:01   Link #5561
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It's not a mystery that the epitaph was 99% solved. Ryuukishi himself said it in an interview. And as he himself promised, EP7 sheds light on the whole matter.

As for the "which" theory is that, that's a spoiler, although many have understood it already.

The theory has been posted on this forum, however it's not 100% correct, and there's a lot of bulls mixed with the good reasonings.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 10:56   Link #5562
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Wait... that one was correct? Holy shit.

Could someone link me the complete outline of that theory? I actually had a copy-paste of that but the folder got deleted.
Right here, you don't remember that? Well, there's also a nico nico video on it that Lyrical Aura translated.

EDIT: Don't follow these links unless you want to be spoiled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The theory has been posted on this forum, however it's not 100% correct, and there's a lot of bulls mixed with the good reasonings.
You mean this thing? Yeah, there's some bs is that version of the theory.
Old 2010-12-11, 11:10   Link #5563
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Right here, you don't remember that? Well, there's also a nico nico video on it that Lyrical Aura translated.

EDIT: Don't follow these links unless you want to be spoiled.

Oh yeah that discussion. It's been almost a year to the day since most of us were talking about that. It's pretty great how R07 managed to slowly bring out the obscurities regarding the language especially the conflicts/differences between Mandarin and Kanji. Now that I think about it, Ep7 managed to properly justify a lot of those.

I still have issues with his use of the differences between the two languages to put some mystery and barriers in solving the epitaph, but whatevs.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 11:16   Link #5564
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Ah right I was thinking about that. I forgot about the version posted by LyricalAura.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 11:18   Link #5565
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Since I'm already here ah I might as well repost my previous request, so I can finish Ep7 before Ep8 comes kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Could someone refresh my memory on how to unlock the chapter select on Ep7? I'm trying to continue my game from where I had stopped pre-patch so if anyone can tell me which chapter it is it would be swell.

Spoiler for Ep7:
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 12:33   Link #5566
moldy_tomato

Quote:
Are those links correct?
They both take me to the Invalid Thread page.
moldy_tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 12:35   Link #5567
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

In order to avoid spoilers, the original epitaph thread has been purged, and the translation has been moved to the introduction thread.
Old 2010-12-11, 13:41   Link #5568
Number1-Syaoran-Fan
Your's In Gold, Beatrice

Is there anywhere else we can view this theory?

"I... I really like your bow."
Number1-Syaoran-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 14:43   Link #5569
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
In order to avoid spoilers, the original epitaph thread has been purged, and the translation has been moved to the introduction thread.
...You know, Klashikari. I get that the thread was originally meant for anime viewers, and VN readers started using it for discussion of Chiru after the anime ended, and that first-time readers could have been spoiled by it. But it would have been nice if you'd just changed the thread title and first post to add a spoiler warning and reflect the new usage. Or archived the thread somewhere. Or really, pretty much anything other than arbitrarily deleting part of the community's discussion history with no warning.
Old 2010-12-11, 14:47   Link #5570
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess overnight shift really made me post things without putting all details.
Actually, I removed access to the thread, but it isn't deleted, so it is possible to salvage all of the posts.
I intended to make them unavailable for the time being before finding the proper solution. Merging them into the spoiler thread might be a bit overkill especially with the silly amount of discussions during the different periods.

That said, making yet another thread is also quite redundant.
Please note that I do not have any obligation to warn people or anything related to the forum administration.
However, I believe I have proved many times I've monitored this sub forum with the least "arbitrary decisions" and whatnot.
Old 2010-12-11, 14:49   Link #5571
Cao Ni Ma

Salvaging the posts about the theories and putting it in the spoiler thread would be nice for the people that still haven't read them.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 15:05   Link #5572
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As I implied, the whole deal is basically split into 2 issues:
1) if it is merged back with the spoiler thread, a lot will be basically spread accross an atrociously large thread already. The continuity of some discussion might be in peril as well.

2) Making yet another thread is way too much. The difference with the earlier state was that this thread was meant for the anime section, but switching back to the game version, it is a "spin off" of the spoiler and speculation thread based on a specific subject.

To say it plainly, stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will think about it either way.
Old 2010-12-11, 15:18   Link #5573
Burkie
Sea Bear

Would you be able to keep the thread hidden from the list of threads, but put a link to it in the first post of the spoilers thread so people can access it from there? It'd probably cause less hassle than merging the threads.
Burkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 16:08   Link #5574
MainCharacter
All Evils of the World

Or we could just wait until Episode 7 is fully translated, then make the thread visible again with a different title/first post with spoiler warning as LyricalAura suggested.

I'm avoiding all spoilers at the moment, but I do think I would like to look over that thread once I am done with Episode 7, to see how they got there and all.
MainCharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 23:49   Link #5575
Judoh
Mystery buff

Let me be frank... People who only watched the anime didn't care about the epitaph at all. I know this from experience because I watched it first and I didn't care until I read the VN. That's because the epitaph is in the games Tips and emphasizes it's importance more. You're only sensible option is to put "spoilers" in the title of the epitaph thread as a warning to first time viewers. It's not "making a new thread" as you say at all, and it's not redundant since it serves it's purpose of reflecting people's discussions. There really is no Dichotomy on the decision on this issue. It's not a not a catbox, it's a foregone conclusion.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-12-12 at 00:03.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 00:57   Link #5576
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As I implied, the whole deal is basically split into 2 issues:
1) if it is merged back with the spoiler thread, a lot will be basically spread accross an atrociously large thread already. The continuity of some discussion might be in peril as well.

2) Making yet another thread is way too much. The difference with the earlier state was that this thread was meant for the anime section, but switching back to the game version, it is a "spin off" of the spoiler and speculation thread based on a specific subject.

To say it plainly, stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will think about it either way.
Remake the thread as the Umineko Epitaph Thread (VN SPOILERS)

Delete posts in the earlier section of the thread that only relate to the anime and not the games.

Problem solved.

(I'm a moderator at other forums, so I understand your pains, but deleting the thread as a whole doesn't help since a lot of us want to view/reference posts in that thread.)

The truth of it is, if you don't want any spoilers about Umineko, you best not be reading a forum about Umineko.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 02:50   Link #5577
Fhoenix
Bogus Oracle

I am sorry, but where again can you read the new epitaph translation? The link from with-hunt news page does not lead anywhere now.
Fhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 02:56   Link #5578
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
It's not completed yet. We'll be shown the new translation in the final EP7 patch, and then all the relevant web-stuff will be updated.
Old 2010-12-12, 03:40   Link #5579
tekutokiari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1-Syaoran-Fan View Post
Is there anywhere else we can view this theory?
You can always use Google cache.
tekutokiari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 05:53   Link #5580
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
Remake the thread as the Umineko Epitaph Thread (VN SPOILERS)

Delete posts in the earlier section of the thread that only relate to the anime and not the games.

Problem solved.
The idea is that if the discussion is left with the spoiler discussion from the VN, this could very well be stuck in the spoiler thread discussion. Then what, if I allow that discussion to have its own thread, why shouldn't I put a thread about shkanon and so forth?
This is the reason the decision isn't exactly easy: this subforum has -way too much- threads, moreso with VN related ones.
Therefore, I'm much more enclined to merge it back to the spoiler thread. Strictly speaking, the epitaph discussion is exactly the same as any kind of discussion people usually had in the spoiler thread.

Quote:
The truth of it is, if you don't want any spoilers about Umineko, you best not be reading a forum about Umineko.
Huh no. As long as threads are defined correctly, it is safe (and hopefully making sure the VN readers aren't doing any blunder).

Tags
translation