AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-11, 16:10   Link #81
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends. If he is counted as a found baby, he likely needs no birth certificate. (Door step baby).

Plus such a thing only gets under their skin if he ran for an office that required him to be a natural born citizen.
Old 2012-12-11, 16:12   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post

Clark your Dad was a fool...we'd never reject you.
Neither would I. What kind of idiot would piss off a superstrong bullet proof guy?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 16:23   Link #83
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Depends. If he is counted as a found baby, he likely needs no birth certificate. (Door step baby).

Plus such a thing only gets under their skin if he ran for an office that required him to be a natural born citizen.
See, my point still stands. Is the military showing up because he has super powers? Or because he is foreign? Which trait is considered more anti-American?

We know Clark had to hide who he truly is. But what about WHY he has to hide? Is it to protected his loved ones from bad people? Or is it to protect his loved ones from the country?
Old 2012-12-11, 16:24   Link #84
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Neither would I. What kind of idiot would piss off a superstrong bullet proof guy?
Not me, not one bit, I like being alive. I'm guesing his 'dad' was just being over protective from the looks of it but the gian why be over protective when your son is...pretty much a superstrong bullet proof guy?

Favourite bit of that trailer hands down was how the ground & air below his fist started rumble & crack as he flew off.
Old 2012-12-12, 01:18   Link #85
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have mixed feelings about the trailer itself. I definitely see the cinematic skill that went into it, but I can't help but think this isn't the right direction to take the character in.

I know that Nolan's approach worked with Batman, but Superman is a very different character.

Honestly, I think that a good, modern Superman movie should be a sci-fi, action-packed extravaganza. Loaded with glorious special effects, great action scenes, and lots of pulse-pounding moments. Now, there should be a good philosophical base for all of that; something that you can really get emotionally invested in and think about; but a Superman movie shouldn't be some dark character drama, imo.

It can have darker elements, to be sure, but the character himself should be a "f yeah!" character if ever there was one (i.e. Superman should have several scenes that makes the audience just want to do celebratory fistpumps over the latest cool super-feat or him kicking some villain's ass). That's how you make Superman relevant again. Not by making him a poor man's Batman.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-12-12 at 01:54.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 01:49   Link #86
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm. I wonder if this will be DC's attempt to counter Marvel (to lead to a Justice League film).

Or it is just Superman does in Nolan Batman style.

I grew up with four different versions of Superman: SuperFriends (I don't remember much anymore), the Christoper Reeve Superman films, Lois & Clark, and the Timmverse Superman.

I liked the Superman films (Reeve did a good job making Clark look like a 99 pound weaking while Superman was this beyond anything man who acted like an overgrown boy scout. Also the John Williams themes were wonderful (my high school band played it one year).

Lois & Clark was fun at times. Some of it is forgettable. A few things stick around, mostly the comedic parts (Calrk calling his mom to find out how to get a "bomb" stain out of his uniform. Him telling a villain his mom made hos uniform for him. And the villian from the future calling Lois "cosmicly stupid" for not noticing the simple glasses trick of Clark's).

The Timmverse Superman has his moments as well. His powers are known to be toned down. Mostly because Batman is still the main attraction in this universe. But the "World of Made of Cardboard" speech was awesome in its own right. He was fairly powerful still in his own show without Batman or the others from Justice League. He was always considered the most powerful by the others in the League (even if Batman could throw him.) Did the government trust him. No. Not always. (he turned on them once via mind control, and he was an alien. So, like with all things it seems, the United States tried to come up with something to counter him. They actually mostly didn't mind him until he was mind controled that one time and nearly took the planet. It sort of soured their relationship).
Old 2012-12-12, 14:46   Link #87
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I'm not really sure about this direction. Nolan's style certainly worked great for Batman. But Batman and Superman are kind of different characters. Of course was ready for this when the first trailer showed Clark on an episode of Deadliest Catch .

Just hope this doesn't try and make Superman too dark and too human, because he's neither of those things.

But let's wait and see how it turns out. It should be pretty good even if it doesn't end up being great.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:07   Link #88
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Instead of Nolan’s Batman, I feel more of Ang Lee’s Hulk vibe from the trailer. To me, that’s not a bad thing at all. I like Ang Lee’s thoughtful Hulk movie 100x more than the mindless action and zero chemistry (between Bruce and Ross) that is Incredible Hulk.

Here’s hoping that Man of Steel delivers the great action since they’re dealing with the very icon of superhero with almost unparalleled power compared to other heroes.
Old 2012-12-12, 19:11   Link #89
james0246

I love the grandness and simplicity of these trailers. Very naturalistic and evocative, even almost mythic. The story of the legend (of a God come to Earth to serve, rather than rule (with Zod being a natural counterpoint). Yes, there are clear parallels to "Batman Begins" (truthfully, I see more Terrence Malick than Nolan in the trailer), but that is not bad, especially since the pathos of these trailers is very akin to Richard Donner's stupendous "Superman", only without all the kitschy elements that have not aged well. I am thoroughly impressed and absolutely brimming with excitement over the possibility of the new Superman film.

edit: Additionally, if this is the start of the Justice League universe, then this type of drama could be a clear way of separating the two franchises (the other, of course, being the Avengers). Go to the Avengers to get (mostly) family friendly action and adventure, go to Justice League to get thoughtful drama with strong action elements.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-12-12 at 19:25.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:40   Link #90
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Miss Lois Lane's hair isn't black enough imo.
Haha I know it's an odd thing to nit pick at but you just grow up known she's a beautiful raven woman and yes Miss Adams is beautiful but has to have the jet black hair as well.
It was a problem I had with Smallville as well with Superman Returns.

Call me anal if you want but I like minor details that stick to what I have known for a great deal of time.

Otherwise, I'm very much looking forward to this as I did Superman Returns which was quite alot.
Still recall when I went to see it at the cinema and then hearing the theme song come for first time was very exciting stuff, put a stupid grin on my face
Old 2013-04-16, 20:08   Link #91
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 20:29   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Now that was an awesome trailer. Now that is exciting!

The S symbol being a symbol of hope on Krypton. Interesting idea. I kind of like it.

The action scenes look glorious, and fittingly larger than life. Zod sounds great!
Old 2013-04-16, 22:27   Link #93
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh so they can even ruining the man of steal why are they doing this
Old 2013-04-16, 22:57   Link #94
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Sigh so they can even ruining the man of steal why are they doing this
I'm curious - what do you dislike about it?

I'll admit there's some things I'd change if I could, but they're almost entirely aesthetic (Superman's costume, while Ok, is a bit darker and too solid navy blue for my liking; Lois Lane seems well-acted but I have to admit I'm use to her having black hair. ). Putting aside mild aesthetic preferences, I don't see much to complain about here.
Old 2013-04-16, 23:12   Link #95
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

New trailer is tremendously awesome. It's looking great.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 23:23   Link #96
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Personally, I love it too.

I really look forward for that Zach Snyder/Christopher Nolan touch in the final version.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 00:14   Link #97
james0246

Some brief thoughts:

This final trailer teases more of third act action sequences, and by god are they amazing. Beautiful, fast-paced, seemingly effortless. Synder was hired to give us these stunning scenes, and he has seemingly delivered.

I didn't think it could be done, but the Hans Zimmer theme is both appropriately epic while also touchingly aspirational. If the rest of the soundtrack is as good, I might just have to buy the album.

Every advancement of this ad campaign has been purposeful, expressive and even, dare I say, humble. My anticipation for this film has increased even more than I thought possible. Sadly, I now have to face the very real possibility that the movie will never be as good as the trailers (kind of like Super 8)...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 01:20   Link #98
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

From the trailer, it seems there may be less of a secret identity for Superman. What I mean is, he doesn't seem to have built much of a life for Clark. Just... wandering and small jobs, instead of a career. (Is he even using the name "Clark Kent"?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 01:33   Link #99
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
From the trailer, it seems there may be less of a secret identity for Superman. What I mean is, he doesn't seem to have built much of a life for Clark. Just... wandering and small jobs, instead of a career. (Is he even using the name "Clark Kent"?)
Depending on which version of Superman, Clark often need very little if any sustenance to survive. In many settings he doesn't need food at all, he just enjoys eating.

This means Superman doesn't NEED a secret identity. He doesn't need a day job to pay the bills like the likes of Peter Parker. So it seems Clark ended up like a wondering nobody, much like the old The Hulk TV series. Maybe he got a job at an oil rig?

But "Clark Kent" is not a fake name. It is the name given to him by his Earth parents. And as the new trailer showed, his human family matters, which means his Earth name matters.

I think this film is playing up Clark's status as a space alien. That he is both a boy who grew up in Smallvile, and an alien of a different culture. The plotpoint that the "S" is actually Kryptonian means that Clark is wearing his alien origins on his chest. And that likely even his costume is an altered version of Kryptonian fashion.

Superman is an immigrant. He is trying to be a good Earthling, but to also not forget where he came from.
Old 2013-04-17, 01:38   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
My impression is that, in this movie, Clark's powers (and him saving people with them) has a real downside to it (rather than being the unblemished positive it often gets portrayed as). Think of Clark getting the treatment of a Marvel Comics mutant. People fear him for his powers in spite of how he uses them for good.

So maybe Clark decides he needs to move somewhere far away where nobody will know him, so that he can live a "normal life".

Perhaps at some point he decides he's been gone from Kansas (America?) long enough to make people forget about kid/teenager Clark, and so he can go to Metropolis, and take up a job as a news reporter.