AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-11, 23:58   Link #201
fedor mma

That was an awesome 1st episode.everything about it was good,the animation, op,ed,characters.The two leads especially were great and had good chemistry. and most importantly the show was entertaining from begining to end.Bring on ep 2 and more johnny flashing.
fedor mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 02:28   Link #202
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

What a great first episode.

Definitely requires suspension of belief, but don't most anime series? Even Ghost in the Shell.

This is clearly a near future sort of thing, so I'm willing to let it go provided it doesn't just become convenient excuses.

Beautiful animation, music, and two very likable main characters. I'm with this for the whole ride.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 04:54   Link #203
Statonxyb
hrm

Amazing first episode and easily my favorite of the season thus far.
Statonxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:03   Link #204
BlackDove
Unheard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
It goes well with the quote about abuse of greatness. Perhaps this organization puts it on everything to remind themselves not to be power hungry?
I'd say something to do with the judge and the fact the phone is loaded with money.
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:03   Link #205
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I came because I hear they used an Oasis song for the OP. The last time I ever saw an anime used a Brit-rock song for its OP or ED was Do You Want To by Franz Ferdinand.

The studio being Production IG and the character designer being Umino Chika of H&C helps as well.

Upon seeing Akira having some secret organization contacts and yet he himself having no memory of who he is, and seeing him with multiple passports, first thing I thought was the Jason Bourne movies. Though Akira himself making a reference to Bourne probably means that's where the similarities end.

Finally, English-speaking voice actors playing characters that actually speak normal English instead of Engrish, or worse still, cheesy English dialogue (think Nanoha).

The spinning icon on Akira's phone reminds me of the Laughing Man in GITS, must be a Production IG thing for them to do such flashy spinning icons. (Same thing in the OP of Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations)

A good first episode.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:28   Link #206
cereal_killerxx

Things I learned while watching the first episode:

Spoiler for Episode 1:
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:51   Link #207
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This was a terribly exciting episode. I am surprised by the nice use of english VAs, and boy it did set the tone right. Not to mention the movie references. I did think the Bourne movies as soon as the male lead shuffled through his passports. The leads are likeable, the production value is how I love it when I.G Production gives it all, and the script is intriguing enough to leave you wanting for more.

EDIT:

From looking at the OP, I can't help but wonder if it is a hint about amnesiac guy being a messiah figure, or close to it, or not at all.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 06:25   Link #208
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I laugh at myself who doesn't know Oasis was a british band (I live in the UK )...I told my friend that some band from manchester did the opening then she told me they're famous and we sung a a song from them back at year 7...I do indeed live under a rock.

Why didn't they use a song from an American band? Since this anime is more or less based on America.
Old 2009-04-12, 06:31   Link #209
klowny
OH NO

it was a good first episode and I'm dying to know who he is really
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 06:38   Link #210
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx View Post

Spoiler for Episode 1:
ROFL that true!
Old 2009-04-12, 06:47   Link #211
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well yeah, there are certain illogical flaws throughout the episode (the lack of security around WH, the female police officer's unwillingness of a through investigation -I'm sure showing evidence in such a way isn't part of the modern procedures -, the reference to a 33 year old movie from an amnesiac teenager o_O , and how he's running around naked without anyone apprehending him in the middle of DC). But I reckon they still paid more attention trying to represent genuineness than any other shows out there so far.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 07:41   Link #212
yjs

Well that was something different, I liked it apart from the sometimes inconsistent art quality... But great music, somehow they got Oasis onboard. ED isn't bad either.
yjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 08:31   Link #213
Dop
Mmmm....

That was an excellent first episode, from the wonderfully stylised OP (where have I seen that kind of isometric style before?) with its religious themed text to the imaginative paper cutouts and pencil missiles ED.

Where do the religious themes come in? Is the organisation behind 'Akira' seeking to immanentize the eschaton? Did the phones remind anyone else of Global Frequency?

Fantastic. Looking forward to the next episode.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 08:45   Link #214
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjs View Post
Well that was something different, I liked it apart from the sometimes inconsistent art quality... But great music, somehow they got Oasis onboard. ED isn't bad either.
Which parts had inconsistent quality? I don't think it was anything glaring...

I can only think of Ergo Proxy and Paradise Kiss in terms of other anime which have had Western artists for the OP or ED.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 09:28   Link #215
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Wow that episode had me paying attention the whole way, something that is hard for me to do. I especially liked the background detail, really impressive.
Hamchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 09:44   Link #216
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:

Spoiler for Episode 1:
I just remember, what about in adding: Americans understand every word, even if you speak japanese to them.

They do it, right?
Old 2009-04-12, 12:33   Link #217
halfxasleep

Hmm, since I'm an American who has been in Washinton DC etc,... This anime really made my day. I kept noticing things in the anime that are there in real life... ^^
halfxasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 12:52   Link #218
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:

Spoiler for Episode 1:
There, fixed that for you.
Quote:
Spoiler for Episode 1:
I think you missed the joke.
Spoiler for Movie:
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 12:53   Link #219
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
I will be following this series intently. I loved the first episode. And to be quite honest, I only just noticed the language thing when it was mentioned in this thread. It just flew past me while watching the episode. Not that I ever listen to anything real closely, just enough to understand will do
Or the guy in the apartment building and the female cop were plants to get those two together. Akira was originally pointing a gun in Saki's direction before the mindswipe. Maybe she was to be his victim or can give him access to the real target.
Old 2009-04-12, 13:48   Link #220
SkoolRumble4Ya

Damn this is one awesome episode. Do you think Morita senpai is a terrorist?
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller