AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 09:40   Link #381
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

What is the protoculture and why should someone sing for those guys on the planet in episode 11 and 12.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 10:27   Link #382
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I know. At least I vented.

As for your question, mangalowres: as related to Macross, the term Protoculture refers to the very first extraterrestrial humanoid civilization itself. They genetically engineered the Zentradi race to fight their battles for them, so the giant humanoids share many if not most of their cultural aspects, and that's why they respond to the music and general acculturation.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 23:45   Link #383
monir
cho~ kakkoii

A bunch of posts are moved to the generic discussion thread for Macross F. Please be mindful that the thread's purpose is to answer any question that might pop up. Use the generic discussion thread for any extended discussion.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 00:14   Link #384
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Well I'll quote myself since the entirety of my post was moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
GG is good = but may miss or add lines here and there.
Lunar is par = but tends to butcher translations like no other.
AonE is great = but slow and karaoke is hardcoded
Shinsen Subs... haven't seen theirs but have heard its better than Lunars, nearing AonE's.

THORA is best = no complaints except we need to wait for BD releases.

I would recommend GG for original release and AonE for those who want better translations.

--> But make sure to get THORA's version when they release and scrap your other copies. <--
THORA is collection quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
What is the protoculture and why should someone sing for those guys on the planet in episode 11 and 12.
Simply put, the protoculture were a spacefaring race that utilized Fold technology to colonize the Galaxy. They established a huge Galaxy wide Empire called the Stellar Republic and genetically engineered the Zentradi.

At some point in time they went to war with each other and went extinct. But not before arriving on Earth and genetically manipulating life there resulting in humans.

That's a brief synopsis on them that basically leaves out a whole lot.

You can visit wiki for a better read, but there are other sites that go even into more detail.

As for singing... no idea except for the fact some people are able to manipulated Spiritia with songs.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-10-04 at 00:24.
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 00:29   Link #385
ReddyRedWolf

Also the Protoculture is the first humanoid race and they manipulated several worlds native lifeforms to evolve in their image.

Humans from primates while Zolans from marsupials.

That is what Bilrer means as the Children of the Protoculture.

The existence of Humans, Zentradi and Zolan is owed to the first race the Protoculture.

Zentradi like Exsedol refer to humans as descendants of the Protoculture or the Protoculture itself.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:08   Link #386
beppu

Mikimoto and Macross Frontier?

Why didn't Haruhiko Mikimoto participate in the creation of Macross Frontier?
beppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 09:09   Link #387
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppu View Post
Mikimoto and Macross Frontier?

Why didn't Haruhiko Mikimoto participate in the creation of Macross Frontier?
Although Mikimoto's works are considered to be highly classy, I personally think they are way too old school for this era.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 10:20   Link #388
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Although Mikimoto's works are considered to be highly classy, I personally think they are way too old school for this era.

- Tak
Besides that he's working on Tytania at the moment, his character design style is also is hard to do justice to in animation.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 10:25   Link #389
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:

- Tak
I could care less about antaiqauited story's/plots/animation as long as the overall story and characters are interesting enough to watch.

I'd rather have less shallow pretty and more substance.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 11:45   Link #390
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Besides that he's working on Tytania at the moment, his character design style is also is hard to do justice to in animation.
Yeah, the only time where his character designs were animated in near perfection was in DYRL. Beyond that, I cannot think of another example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
I'd rather have less shallow pretty and more substance.
Mikimoto has both, just hard to animate in style.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-10-04, 14:55   Link #391
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question:

In 25, the interaction/conversation of Alto, Ranka and Sheryl, in MF reality has never been existed, hasn't it?

Certainly the feeling and emotions can be transmitted through, but I think the actual image and interaction was built up by Sheryl alone.

At first I thought it was a form of telepathy, but the scene of Sheryl was healed while still lying on the floor unconscious make me think otherwise. It would be illogic for a singer who try to take control an vast army, a pilot who fighting for his life, and an unconscious singer to communicate in any mean. Unless all brain system was connected and the whole conversation was happened in 1 sec or less
Old 2008-10-04, 14:57   Link #392
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question:

In 25, the interaction/conversation of Alto, Ranka and Sheryl, in MF reality has never been existed, hasn't it?

Certainly the feeling and emotions can be transmitted through, but I think the actual image and interaction was built up by Sheryl alone.
At first I thought it was a form of telepathy, but the scene of Sheryl was healed while still lying on the floor unconscious make me think otherwise. It would be illogic for a singer who try to take control an vast army, a pilot who fighting for his life, and an unconscious singer to do actual communicate in any mean.
Aye, the slap was pretty much a fold slap, the communication itself was probably taken on the fold itself with all three of them present. Alto was able to participate probably because of Sheryl's earring.

- Tak

Old 2008-10-04, 15:51   Link #393
magnuskn

Quote:
Aye, the slap was pretty much a fold slap, the communication itself was probably taken on the fold itself with all three of them present. Alto was able to participate probably because of Sheryl's earring.

- Tak
Pretty definitely because of the earring. What I want to know is how Brera got into that telepathic link?

And, uh, how Ranka cured Sheryl... fold waves? I guess?
Old 2008-10-04, 15:58   Link #394
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Pretty definitely because of the earring. What I want to know is how Brera got into that telepathic link?

And, uh, how Ranka cured Sheryl... fold waves? I guess?
I would not be surprised if Banana-san was able to communicate via fold. If not for him sharing the same mother as Ranka, then definitely by his status as a cyborg

Ranka probably cured Sheryl via fold waves, but that entire sequence was cheap. So cheap that it completely cheapened Sheryl's Nome bloodline. *Sigh*

- Tak

Old 2008-10-04, 16:01   Link #395
magnuskn

Quote:
I would not be surprised if Banana-san was able to communicate via fold. If not for him sharing the same mother as Ranka, then definitely by his status as a cyborg

Ranka probably cured Sheryl via fold waves, but that entire sequence was cheap. So cheap that it completely cheapened Sheryl's Nome bloodline. *Sigh*

- Tak
Yeah, well. I had been saying that Ranka and magic hax would probably involved for a lot of time. Definitely by the time we saw that Sheryl had the same bugs in her blood which Ranka has in her stomach. But it was too much of a throwaway scene, IMO. OTOH, they had to move on with the big mech battle, so Iīm happy already that Sheryl *did* get cured.
Old 2008-10-04, 16:11   Link #396
magnuskn

Quote:
THORA is collection quality.
Could you help me in finding their subs? Because they donīt show up here, nor on Tokyotosho...

*edit* Ups, double post. Need moar threads! ^^
Old 2008-10-04, 16:50   Link #397
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Could you help me in finding their subs? Because they donīt show up here, nor on Tokyotosho...

*edit* Ups, double post. Need moar threads! ^^
Search "macross thora" on TT.

You'll find them (only 4 releases so far)... but don't get the "modified" ones, those are only Thora's subs.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 17:00   Link #398
magnuskn

Quote:
Search "macross thora" on TT.

You'll find them (only 4 releases so far)... but don't get the "modified" ones, those are only Thora's subs.
Thanks! I hope I like their subs, sometimes itīs the way the sub groups translate certain scenes which makes or breaks an episode.
Old 2008-10-05, 12:01   Link #399
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Why aren't Thora's torrents listed on animesuki.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 13:43   Link #400
lars18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question:

At first I thought it was a form of telepathy, but the scene of Sheryl was healed while still lying on the floor unconscious make me think otherwise. It would be illogic for a singer who try to take control an vast army, a pilot who fighting for his life, and an unconscious singer to communicate in any mean. Unless all brain system was connected and the whole conversation was happened in 1 sec or less
I believe that was a conversation that happened in the subcounscious level. It was very important to explain to the audience how each of them were connected and how they felt about each other.

I don't believe the characters may be able to remember exactly what was said but it worked more as a transfer of emotions. Probably, an assimilation of their emotions would be a better way to see it. Since they were right in the middle of the vajira communication network.

Through that connection, yes, sheryl was healed. She could be healed even if she was on Earth since that was the main advantage of the technology Grace and Birler were so desperately after: A boundless galaxy connected.

In real time I would see this as all 3 of them lighting up purple and sheryl suddenly getting up, healed, ready to sing. For obvoius reasons, if the scene was presented "raw" like that, it would have sucked, wouldnt it?
lars18th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a