AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-02, 21:51   Link #1
Un1234l

Oh noe.. Planetarian is taking over REAL LIFE

If no one knows what I'm talking about, here's the backstory.

Planetarian: The Reverie (Dream) of a Little Planet is a Japanese post-apocalyptic visual novel centering around a middle-aged man who comes across a malfunctioning robot in a dead city (WIKI). One of the main characters is Yumemi Hoshino, a talkative robot designed to look like a human. She is the attendant of a planetarium, greeting and helping customers. She is very cheerful and optimistic.

Now, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbFFs4DHWys

Frankly, I'm slightly afraid.
Spoiler for Planetarian novel:

Last edited by Un1234l; 2009-01-02 at 21:51. Reason: Bolding and italicizing of title
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 00:17   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Personally, I think the scenario in Chobits to be more likely, although the possibility of creating a Chobit in our world may be slightly lower.
Old 2009-01-03, 00:24   Link #3
Un1234l

Oh yes, Chobits is similar as well. However, the robot in the YouTube video and in Planetarian are both greeting customers. Yeah.

What I find amazing is how rapid robotics technology has advanced... it's becoming more mainstream now. What used to be recognized with NASA is now coming to our homes...?
Old 2009-01-03, 00:25   Link #4
Cherudim Arche

It would still take a while to reach "human level", but that is good start for humanoid, that seem less like a toy.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 00:26   Link #5
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Japan is doing some very serious work in the field. Its aging population gives the task some urgency.
Old 2009-01-03, 01:25   Link #6
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I've seen that "android" before. Seems programmed, not really sentient. I don't think we have anything to worry about until/unless they become self-aware.

Though it seemed pretty realistic, I see some serious flaws. It was moving way more than normal people do, and it's eyes didn't focus on anything. Kind of disconcerting. However, I think real AI (as most people think of it... such as a truly intelligent being like Cortana from Halo or the robots/androids from the movies I, Robot and A.I.) is quite a long way away. Japan is definitely making progress, though.
Old 2009-01-03, 01:35   Link #7
LeoXiao
思想工作

This android looks only somewhat better than an expensive anime doll. Up close in particular, it looks quite unrealistic, and its movements are very stiff.

The space elevator they're working on is a better investment idea (seriously, they're putting only 5billion into it).
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 01:38   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
The space elevator they're working on is a better investment idea (seriously, they're putting only 5billion into it).
Agreed. However, I think space programs around the world have always been underfunded compared to say, military technology for instance.
Old 2009-01-03, 01:46   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I have to say Chobits or perhaps "Eve no Jikan" before I'd think Planetes.... but meh, its always good to see the latest in robotics profiled.
Old 2009-01-03, 02:32   Link #10
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Heh, even the Chobits' actions are the results of their programming, although they are aware that they have programmes.
Old 2009-01-03, 05:29   Link #11
Grif

I feel sad looking through the youtube comments. It seems like people can only see this robot being used for sex >.>.

In terms of stories become true, "eve no jikan" probably is the most likely to come true, or at least that is what seems more likely than any of the others. To me at least.

Its great to see what advances japan has made to robotics, i have seen this "android" before though.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 05:51   Link #12
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

These kinds of articles makes me sad that I was not born in the future.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 05:56   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think given luck, most of us would live to see at least an AI who's aware that it's an AI, but can otherwise understand speech the way humans do.
Old 2009-01-03, 06:28   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

We're more likely to see cyborgs than self-aware AI. I find it very difficult to see how we could possibly create an AI with human-level intelligence when we don't yet even understand what it means to be "intelligent". If sheer computational power were all it takes to be sentient, Deep Blue would already qualify as "human".

And AI researchers have already cottoned-on to the futility of trying to create artificial "human" intelligence. Many of them have long since branched off into the more fruitful field of intelligent agents, ie, a modern, evolutionary bottom-up approach rather than the classical top-down approach. Robots with insect-level intelligence are already a reality, and far more importantly, they can be put to practical use unlike the stiffly unhuman android seen in the YouTube video above.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 06:33   Link #15
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Agreed. However, I think space programs around the world have always been underfunded compared to say, military technology for instance.
It's true to a certain point; now investment in one field often end with advance for many others field ( example computers, new metals etc...) it's particulary true with military and space reserch.
Old 2009-01-03, 06:44   Link #16
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Combining humans and computers opens many cans of worms, not that AI doesn't open any. I agree: It seems easier for us to harness computational power than to create "intelligence".
Old 2009-01-03, 08:11   Link #17
Shadow Kira01

Honestly, I don't see any relations between a prototype android and a visual novel. In fact, it is somewhat irrelevant.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-01-03 at 08:12. Reason: typo
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 16:20   Link #18
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

Honestly, I don't see any relations between a prototype android and a visual novel. In fact, it is somewhat irrelevant.
I think it's that the only named character in Planetarian was a "broken" robot who functioned as a guide at a planetarium. Of course if I remember correctly, the war in Planetarian had nothing to do with AIs, but was the result of a sneak attack on a lunar colony. That's the thing that really gets me about planetarian, humanity was on the verge of securing a destiny among the stars, yet in the end we threw it all away. It wasn't aliens, malevolent AIs, demons, or even a natural disaster. Everything that happened in it, we did to ourselves.
Old 2009-01-03, 17:11   Link #19
iLney

Worry not. If we happen to create something with superior intelligence, it will not so foolish as its creators who always think of dominating stuffs.

In fact, I'll be delightful to be able to witness higher being
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 01:45   Link #20
Un1234l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

alright, maybe bad title.

However, it is very interesting to see how far this technology will advance within our lifetime...

How much do you guys think this costs/will cost?

Can you imagine yourself buying one?

In fact, what would you guys use them for? I personally wouldn't find any use for them, unless they can accompany me on an instrument. That would be pretty cool.