AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-19, 21:26   Link #1941
Methias

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Well, I only read chapter that related to SAO nad few chapters of Mother Rosario. Didn't read GGO, Alicization, and Fairy Dance. Mainly because I have terrible understanding on how battle works in text/novel format. So I usually skipped them.

Never liked Accel World's futuristic setting, especially the robotic avatar, but I have to admit that the animated battle scenes were quite fun and entertaining to watch. As for SAO, I like the medieval setting of SAO, but there isn't any good fighting scene in SAO with leave me in despair. So far, the best one was the Kobold Illfang one (anime). Sure that character development is needed, but they should balance it out a bit...at least in anime. They rushed and cut down a lot of things in anime.
I think the problem is as far as the side stories go, the fighting hasn't been any better in the light novels, so we really can't expect the anime to have much more right? I think the light novels weren't that much dedicated to battle scenes but more to creating content for the whole Aincrad arc.
Methias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 22:40   Link #1942
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I'm gonna agrue and say the pacing of Aincrad Arc is technically bad if you look at it from a technical and chronological perspective, mostly because of the large time-skips. It's saved from such judgement because Vol. 1 starts at the near end of the whole thing. (I mean... if the author really pumps it up and starts Progressive 1 year per floor... we'll be done in around 2080!)
You are right a few of the episode were to fast paced. 2 and 3 were two such episodes.
And I dont think it will that long.

Last edited by sky black swordman; 2012-08-19 at 23:02.
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 22:52   Link #1943
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
You are right a few of the episode were to fast paced. 2 and 3 were two such episodes.
And I dont it will that long.
Well, in the first place, why would the author spend 1 year on writing about 1 floor?

... I guess, considering all the potential screw-ups the author might make in continuity, I guess he could do Progressive 1 Volume = 4 - 5 floors? And considering that Asuna and Kirito were on a 3 - 9th floor quest... hmmm..... I wonder how long the entire Dark vs Forest Elves war would take?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 23:08   Link #1944
sky black swordman

Quote:
Well, in the first place, why would the author spend 1 year on writing about 1 floor?

... I guess, considering all the potential screw-ups the author might make in continuity, I guess he could do Progressive 1 Volume = 4 - 5 floors? And considering that Asuna and Kirito were on a 3 - 9th floor quest... hmmm..... I wonder how long the entire Dark vs Forest Elves war would take?
First on my previous post what I meant to say was " I dont the series will take that long to finish. 2080?

Ok I can't argue with that.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:57   Link #1945
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Kirito must have had some training in talking to girls with all the time he spends with Asuna, strangely he says all the right things to every other girl but Asuna and although he has all the typical shounen MC trait of making female character fall for him seems at least he is not completely clueless about it unless its from a person like a childhood friend/imouto type character. At least that's how I see him depicted as both from the LN and the anime. His friendzone level skill is too good already
Old 2012-08-20, 02:13   Link #1946
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeEntity View Post
Kirito must have had some training in talking to girls with all the time he spends with Asuna, strangely he says all the right things to every other girl but Asuna and although he has all the typical shounen MC trait of making female character fall for him seems at least he is not completely clueless about it unless its from a person like a childhood friend/imouto type character. At least that's how I see him depicted as both from the LN and the anime. His friendzone level skill is too good already
It's probably because he's been training the <<Extra Skill>> Charisma Break often.... owait, wrong franchise. *shot*
Old 2012-08-20, 06:19   Link #1947
Adigard

Quote:
Unlike the standard harem anime MC, the girls at least fall for him because he's damned good at what he does. That's a rather refreshing change, IMO. They don't love him because they were childhood friends, or he saved them from being run over by a car or because he talked to them... for god's sake
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 07:34   Link #1948
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Unlike the standard harem anime MC, the girls at least fall for him because he's damned good at what he does. That's a rather refreshing change, IMO. They don't love him because they were childhood friends, or he saved them from being run over by a car or because he talked to them... for god's sake
Yep, he actually has a talent for making people like him, such as doing the right stuff at the right time to people. Sinon hand holding.
Old 2012-08-20, 08:58   Link #1949
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Asuna has clearly taught him how to handle girls... that just gives her some unwanted competition I suppose.

Don't forget Liz hand holding...
Old 2012-08-20, 20:24   Link #1950
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1sFyr3 View Post
Sinon hand holding.
He also hugged her.

Quote:
Asuna has clearly taught him how to handle girls... that just gives her some unwanted competition I suppose.

Don't forget Liz hand holding...
But she cool with I mean she nows he is loyal to her.
Old 2012-08-20, 22:30   Link #1951
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

or maybe she is the dense one and doesn't realise that the other girls like him too... I actually think this is the case
Old 2012-08-20, 22:32   Link #1952
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
or maybe she is the dense one and doesn't realise that the other girls like him too... I actually think this is the case
Did Kirito ever mention his adventures with these girls and what happen with each one?
Old 2012-08-20, 22:41   Link #1953
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
Did Kirito ever mention his adventures with these girls and what happen with each one?
I could have sworn she knows what had transpired between Kirito and all her girlfriends... at least after the ALO Incident.
Old 2012-08-21, 00:33   Link #1954
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Asuna did have Kirito bring Sinon over to the cafe to discuss why he was hugging and holding her hand
Old 2012-08-21, 00:53   Link #1955
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Spoiler for for Asuna's character and Kirito's girls LOlss:
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 08:36   Link #1956
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
We have no concrete indication of whether he was fighting seriously, but I think the fact that he did not dual wield, and him realizing the opponent's unique condition halfway through the fight, and that the girls around him believe and discuss that he wasn't going all out is indicative of the author's intentions. He's trying really hard to say that Kirito was only defeated because he wasn't fighting seriously. It's certainly in line with how he always paints Kirito as the Ultimate Swordsman. The outcome doesn't really matter, though, since that was not an important fight for Kirito.
He was fighting seriously and lost. He however, did not use dual-wield, but fought seriously using one sword. He fights her again "seriously (again no dual-wield)" in the final tournament, and she beats him using her 11-hit personal sword skill.

Remember, when asked whether Kirito remembered her or whether she was from Aincrad/SAO-incident, he said she wasn't because: "If she was there, she would've been the one to receive 'Dual Blades'" -- so even Kirito admits that her reaction time / response ability is higher than his.. because she's lived in "fulldive space" even longer than he has..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 08:49   Link #1957
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
He was fighting seriously and lost. He however, did not use dual-wield, but fought seriously using one sword. He fights her again "seriously (again no dual-wield)" in the final tournament, and she beats him using her 11-hit personal sword skill.

Remember, when asked whether Kirito remembered her or whether she was from Aincrad/SAO-incident, he said she wasn't because: "If she was there, she would've been the one to receive 'Dual Blades'" -- so even Kirito admits that her reaction time / response ability is higher than his.. because she's lived in "fulldive space" even longer than he has..
If you quote it a bit differently. it's saying that Kirito technically lost to Yuuki using ... probably 50% of his power -- which is consistently 50% and not some fluctuating 48% ~ 0% effort.

However, I think the reason that Kirito didn't use "Dual Blades-esque moves" was because that would be more than a 100% power, something he WOULDN'T do unless it had the slightest chance of being serious. (like...say...SAO Incident.)

In short Kirito (Non-Determinator) < Yuuki
Kirito (Determinator) <?> Yuuki

That's the thing: Yuuki has the faster reaction speed and VR immersion, but it's unknown who has the higher experience, so it's unknown what would happen if Kirito used Dual Blades moves. He might win, or he might not. Remember, he can CHAIN combos, not just make them, while Yuuki's reaction is amazing.
Old 2012-08-21, 08:53   Link #1958
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
If you quote it a bit differently. it's saying that Kirito technically lost to Yuuki using ... probably 50% of his power -- which is consistently 50% and not some fluctuating 48% ~ 0% effort.

However, I think the reason that Kirito didn't use "Dual Blades-esque moves" was because that would be more than a 100% power, something he WOULDN'T do unless it had the slightest chance of being serious. (like...say...SAO Incident.)

That's the thing: Yuuki has the faster reaction speed and VR immersion, but it's unknown who has the higher experience, so it's unknown what would happen if Kirito used Dual Blades moves. He might win, or he might not. Remember, he can CHAIN combos, not just make them, while Yuuki's reaction is amazing.
I do believe Kirito said somewhere in a monologue he hated the Dual Blade skill back in SAO because it created an imbalanced situation, and that he wouldn't use it unless he absolutely have to (Caliber/Holding off 30 ppls). In a tournament where it was a fair contest of "skills", Kirito would never use dual blade, especially against someone who was more deserving than him.
Old 2012-08-21, 09:21   Link #1959
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
I do believe Kirito said somewhere in a monologue he hated the Dual Blade skill back in SAO because it created an imbalanced situation, and that he wouldn't use it unless he absolutely have to (Caliber/Holding off 30 ppls). In a tournament where it was a fair contest of "skills", Kirito would never use dual blade, especially against someone who was more deserving than him.
This is actually what I believe perfectly describes Kirito, the reluctant hero as it were.. When Dual blades was given to him and it was made known the rest of the SAO players the expectation and pressure placed on him was immense and Kirito does not like being responsible for other peoples lives in a way, from his experience with Sachi and co. Of course the fact that he rises to the occasion makes with a true hero.

And I believe he honestly lost to Yuuki, a battle of life and death and a fight in a game is ultimately different as a VR gamer he lost to Yuuki fair and square if he were indeed the best, he would be the one with a 11 strike OSS. The fact that her reaction time is faster says a lot too.

In a life and death situation, we will never know who is better. Although we do see him fight well beyond his limits like in his battle with the orcs in UW and his fight with Heathcliff
Old 2012-08-21, 09:32   Link #1960
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:

OK.. I think you're missing one point. This may be me not understanding how the system works now in ALO.. but Kirito's not using "Dual Blades" against her basically because -- if she was around during SAO, he wouldn't have received it, it would have rightfully been hers.

Keep that in the back of your mind. If she had made it into SAO, Dual Blades would've been hers, and not Kirito's - that means "Dual Blades" and anything related to it isn't something of his own

That, and your comment about chaining combos.. Even he wasn't able to create his own 11-hit sword skill.. Remember the comment about how difficult it is to create your own? They don't call her the "Absolute Sword" for nothing..

Anyways, it confuses me why people have this feeling that "Kirito MUST be the strongest" .. the world is a very big place.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality