AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-11, 15:44   Link #261
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
I heard that Kyoani wants to animate The Disappearance into a movie, because they wanted to vs. Black Rock Shooter TV anime for Spring 2010.
Why would they want to compete with Ordet with of all studios? It's Yamakan who has a grudge on KyoAni, not the other way around.

I'd be more worried about PA Works if I were them.
Old 2009-10-11, 17:39   Link #262
bayoab

Quote:
I heard that Kyoani wants to animate The Disappearance into a movie, because they wanted to vs. Black Rock Shooter TV anime for Spring 2010.
That makes no sense. How does a movie compete with a TV series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's Yamakan who has a grudge on KyoAni, not the other way around.
I thought we had finally debunked this at Otakon.
Old 2009-10-11, 17:55   Link #263
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I thought we had finally debunked this at Otakon.
You don't agree to do a show like Kannagi, which is clearly intended to be a Haruhi-killer, or take a show that KyoAni has dropped, like 801-chan, unless you have some kind of a grudge on them.

Just because he says there are no hard feelings doesn't mean there aren't.
Old 2009-10-11, 18:00   Link #264
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
You don't agree to do a show like Kannagi, which is clearly intended to be a Haruhi-killer, or take a show that KyoAni has dropped, like 801-chan, unless you have some kind of a grudge on them.

Agreed.

He clearly likes sticking it to his former employers. Personally, I don't mind that sort of strong competitive drive and pride, but it is what it is...
Old 2009-10-12, 00:40   Link #265
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
I'd be more worried about PA Works if I were them.
Indeed. PA Works is the next KyoAni, IMO -- very consistent, incredible detail and fluid animation for a relatively small/unknown studio. They tend to take on original works instead of adaptations though, so there's not much competition there (so instead of KyoAni's successor, they could be alternate-universe KyoAni).
Old 2009-10-12, 00:49   Link #266
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well they are doing the next Key work...but again it is an original Key work, straight to anime, rather than a VN adaptaion such as what TOEI or Kyoto Animation have done so far.
Old 2009-10-12, 01:19   Link #267
Animexcel

I read the Disappearance novel. Now I know what the craze is about with this particular story
Old 2009-10-12, 01:39   Link #268
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Indeed. PA Works is the next KyoAni, IMO -- very consistent, incredible detail and fluid animation for a relatively small/unknown studio. They tend to take on original works instead of adaptations though, so there's not much competition there (so instead of KyoAni's successor, they could be alternate-universe KyoAni).
Who? *surf, surf* Ah, the guys who did CANAAN. I'll admit they do good work, if that show is any example, but frankly they remind me more of Production IG (Eden especially) than KyoAni, so I don't see any direct competition (besides the whole "both being animation studios" thing, of course). Ordet (with its staff apparently full of KyoAni ex-pats) strikes me as a much more likely "antagonist".

Never could really get into Kannagi, really, anyway. Didn't even finish it. (Liking To Aru...Index, though, which feels very similar). My moeblobbery needs to have a little deeper basis, and Haruhi's mixture of sci-fi, mystery, and metaphysicality works just fine.
Old 2009-10-12, 01:41   Link #269
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Who? *surf, surf* Ah, the guys who did CANAAN. I'll admit they do good work, if that show is any example, but frankly they remind me more of Production IG (Eden especially) than KyoAni, so I don't see any direct competition (besides the whole "both being animation studios" thing, of course). Ordet (with its staff apparently full of KyoAni ex-pats) strikes me as a much more likely "antagonist".
The reason people are comparing PA Works to KyoAni is the small size of the studio and the fact that they're still relatively unknown, like KyoAni was before FMP.

Ordet is trying, bless them, but since PA Works is doing Angel Beats, which appears to be another "Haruhi-killer"... I dunno.
Old 2009-10-12, 01:50   Link #270
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Come on now, SK. "I heard that" are the three most evil words on an anime forum. Much (w)angst and gnashing of (virtual) teeth have been caused by those very words (or variations) on this very forum...

Besides, Black Rock Shooter was just recently announced. The Disappearance movie will be in theaters in around six months, so it's been in production for at least a year, maybe more, as full as KyoAni's plate has been as of late. Timing's way off for your suggestion to even be feasible...
Old 2009-10-12, 03:52   Link #271
bayoab

Quote:
I keep seeing the words "Haruhi-killer" and yet they make no sense. How do you "kill Haruhi"? With another franchise that hits the same demographics? Look at K-on, Miku/BRS etc. They all just joined the massive franchising pools. They didn't kill any of the old ones. Eva related goods just keep selling and selling, even before the movies. (Kadokawa/Kyoani seems to be doing a good enough job at killing the franchise on their own.)

However, regarding 801-chan:

11:13:16 <bay|Ota|Yamakan> Q: About Tonari non 801-chan, how did you get involved with that?
11:13:55 <bay|Ota|Yamakan> So the title had it's share of difficulties as you may know, so the creator approached me and asked me to do the show, so with everything else going on, i figured since the job came to me i figured i was destined to do this

Why would someone not pick it up just because Kyoani lost it? Studios take any project they believe can be a success or that they have enough of an interest in to ignore economic factors. (Also, remember that Studio Order is essentially a Kyoani refugee camp. This is like taking the series from the Haruhi 2009 staff to the Haruhi 2006 staff.)

Quote:
Considering everything that happened at and after Otakon, that is really digging. He's known for being very straightforward and thus says controversial things. I'm not saying he was 100% perfectly honest all the time, but there is nothing to even hint at that.
Old 2009-10-12, 03:55   Link #272
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
I keep seeing the words "Haruhi-killer" and yet they make no sense. How do you "kill Haruhi"?
It's probably a really Western concept... I mean that it's supposed to directly compete with and take sales away from Haruhi.

Such is capitalism, comrade.

I will accept that there's probably no evidence that Yamakan holds a grudge, but there were those subtle and not-so-subtle digs at KyoAni in Kannagi, so...
Old 2009-10-12, 08:20   Link #273
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Or you can do what some people already do, and just have the novel translations ready.

This is the peculiar thing with being faithful to the source; we have the translation before the actual product is even out.
No , i'll wait for the movie's sub . I'm not in a hurry , not a big fan either .
Old 2009-10-13, 00:13   Link #274
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'm looking forward to this film, and I hope it would be a decent length (at least 100 minutes, equivalent to 5 episodes). In truth, I just want them to finish whatever projects they are doing such as this and start on a Little Busters anime to hopefully be released in Fall 2010.
Old 2009-10-13, 00:40   Link #275
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
In truth, I just want them to finish whatever projects they are doing such as this and start on a Little Busters anime to hopefully be released in Fall 2010.
To be honest, I feel the same way.

Little Busters is one of the coolest and most awesome games I've ever played (and I've only played what has been translated thus far) and it would really, really benefit from an anime adaptation.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:47   Link #276
relentlessflame

*Administrator

We need to come to an understanding about spoilers again, it seems. Most of you have been here for some time, so I assume that you all know perfectly well that the normal rule is that you are not allowed to use knowledge of the novels to spoil the contents of what is being discussed. Therefore, it logically follows that you may not post spoiler for the content of this movie before the movie is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler Policy
Inappropriate spoilers are not welcome here at AnimeSuki Forums. A spoiler is anything that discloses an event, character, plot or other information before it is revealed within the specific work being discussed. Any post containing spoilers may be deleted in its entirety and an infraction will be issued to the poster. Repeated violations of this rule will lead to a ban.
Using a spoiler tag is not good enough, and this is also clearly established in the Spoiler Policy.

Does this mean that there's nothing left to discuss in this thread until more info is released about the movie? Well, that may be. But if you're really so eager to discuss the novels that this movie are based on, we have three great threads for you. This isn't one of those threads.

EDIT: I've moved (most of) the affected posts from the last few days into the Spoilers & Speculation thread -- please feel free to continue your discussion there.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-10-14 at 20:28. Reason: moved affected posts
Old 2009-10-14, 23:24   Link #277
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Is it going to be live action, or anime. (I'm fine either way, just would be nice to know)

A live action would be nice, because I'm curious to see how the characters would look in real life.

But then again, the traditional anime never goes wrong.
Old 2009-10-14, 23:30   Link #278
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
Is it going to be live action, or anime. (I'm fine either way, just would be nice to know)

A live action would be nice, because I'm curious to see how the characters would look in real life.

Looks like it will be an animated feature.
Old 2009-10-15, 00:36   Link #279
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post

No offense, but a live action movie would be HORRIBLE!

I'm of the opinion that some things are just better left in their animated from.

Aya might be about to pull off Haruhi in live action, but what about the rest of the cast. To be frank, the voice cast of Mikuru and Yuki look nothing like their counterparts.

I'm certain this things going to be animated anyway. It's what KyoAni specializes in.
Old 2009-10-15, 00:37   Link #280
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
No offense, but a live action movie would be HORRIBLE!

I'm of the opinion that some things are just better left in their animated from.

Aya might be about to pull off Haruhi in live action, but what about the rest of the cast. To be frank, the voice cast of Mikuru and Yuki look nothing like their counterparts.

I'm certain this things going to be animated anyway. It's what KyoAni specializes in.
Lolz.

I said either way, I would enjoy it.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen