AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-08-21, 14:08   Link #3461
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Despite this, the Bureau has a chronic shortage of mages, why's that?
Several reasons. As you said, some simply won't be combat capable. Secondly, the bureau has a lot of ground to cover, and stations mages even on worlds with very low popularity (example in this case being Erio and Caro who go to a reserve) and third, not all mages necisarily join the military. Criminal mages nothwithstanding, there are also civilian mages.

Quote:
And I'd be cautious about assuming that a majority of the population has magic, even if it's a level too low to be considered useful to the TSAB. In such a society, non-magic-capable people would be treated as handicapped or second-class at best. That's something we don't see in StrikerS.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said 'high population' I didn't mean the majority. What I meant was somewhere around a 50/50 balance. Maybe around the 40% balance at the very least. I highly doubt mages are a huge minority. Why would Mid become a culture centered around the use of magic if only an extreme minority could use it?

Quote:
We've only seen one that definitely teaches magic. We don't know if this is standard to all Mid schools. Also, it doesn't require a high precentage of mages in the population to make magic schools a worthwhile proposition. Even if only 1% out of Mid's population are mages, that's 10,000 out of every million people. A large city like Cranagan should have 10 times that, at least. Should be easy to fill magic schools, don't you think? Yet, it's only 1%.
True.

Quote:
Not to mention you forgot Arf and Zafira could do that well before the Liezes were shown doing that. In fact, I was surprised no one used them as examples for this.
*shrug* I just wanted to point out the image of the Lieze twins in kitty form.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 14:43   Link #3462
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Two questions: Is this gate going to be skywards pointing down or on the ground pointing up? Because your text switches from the first to the second later.
Next, this is an area devastation spell, why do you want to keep it confined? In fact, you can't keep it confined indefintely.
A star offers so many possibilities, the coronosphere is even hotter than the photosphere surface, but I'm not sure if the particle density is high enough to cause damage.
The photosphere has 6000C solar plasma and it gets hotter the deeper you go, and there's the radiation...
If you can open even a small gate 8 light minutes to the nearest star, there's a closer source of destruction you can tap. Magma from the planet's mantle. If you want hotter, you can go to the fluid outer core. All that's less than 10,000km below you.
For question one: Ground Pointing up. If it were in the sky pointing down, it'd carve right through the planet.

For question two: Uh... do you have the slightest incling of the explosive force that would be produced if it were allowed to simply blast outwards? This is super high energy plasma that's getting freed from gravitational pressurization that causes fusion at the center of the stellar body. This would be entertaining if Hayate opened a Gate of Ra and nuked her ass the moment the link was established. We're talking BIG nuking... remember how much energy a simple Solar Flare has. You want to make sure that's pointing into the sky.

Now, as for magma... well, it wouldn't be Gate of RA if we didn't call down the Sun God now would it? But I'm sure we can make a Gate of Apep that unleashes coils of Lava from the underworld. Less awsome firepower, but still awsome firepower.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 15:03   Link #3463
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
What I meant was somewhere around a 50/50 balance. Maybe around the 40% balance at the very least.
When you're talking about humans and a trait as defining as the ability to use magic, that's not balance at all. To me anyway. I'm at the end of the day, so details will have to wait.

Quote:
Why would Mid become a culture centered around the use of magic if only an extreme minority could use it?
I stand by my assertions that Mid can harness magic artificially without mages. It explains many features in the series and makes the use of magic-powered system available to non-mages.

Quote:
Secondly, the bureau has a lot of ground to cover, and stations mages even on worlds with very low popularity (example in this case being Erio and Caro who go to a reserve)
A point from SSM3, they volunteered to go there. Erio mentions the Bureau has trouble finding agents willing to accept such remote assignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Tigerclaw View Post
Ground Pointing up. If it were in the sky pointing down, it'd carve right through the planet.
Please, you'd need a gate several kilometers across to funnel enough plasma to do something like that quickly. At best, you'd get a really deep hole with a gate tens of meters across.
Since you mention it'll be shooting upwards, what kind of targets are you thinking of using this against?

Quote:
This is super high energy plasma that's getting freed from gravitational pressurization that causes fusion at the center of the stellar body.
You don't need to grab from the core, you know. Not to mention, disturbances at that depth could cause noticable instability in the star. Even the top kilometer of the photosphere contains more than adequate power to wreak havoc on a ground tactical scale. Always think of efficient ways of getting what you want.

Quote:
I'm sure we can make a Gate of Apep that unleashes coils of Lava from the underworld.
Good, now do you see the possibilities of gating in your attacks instead of producing them yourself?

You can do the Rift Generator attack by opening a gate into space. Then, you can do a water attack by opening a gate into the ocean depths.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 15:27   Link #3464
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
When you're talking about humans and a trait as defining as the ability to use magic, that's not balance at all. To me anyway. I'm at the end of the day, so details will have to wait.
*tilts head* I'll wait then, I don't fully understand what you're trying to say.

Quote:
I stand by my assertions that Mid can harness magic artificially without mages. It explains many features in the series and makes the use of magic-powered system available to non-mages.
Harnesing it yes, from what we've seen its the most comonly used energy source. but non-mages obviously can't use magic the way mages can, meaning you leave anything that involves weaponry, combat and security in the hands of a small minority. If that minority was not so small at all, it would be easier to swallow.

Quote:
A point from SSM3, they volunteered to go there. Erio mentions the Bureau has trouble finding agents willing to accept such remote assignments.
Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out. Still, it doesn't really change my point: The TSAB has a lot of ground to cover.

Quote:
You don't need to grab from the core, you know. Not to mention, disturbances at that depth could cause noticable instability in the star. Even the top kilometer of the photosphere contains more than adequate power to wreak havoc on a ground tactical scale. Always think of efficient ways of getting what you want.
Just grab from the Corona if you want extreme heat and damage. The photosphere is around 5000 C if I remember correctly. The Corona around one to three million. And since its outside the photosphere, its only excess energy you're taking, and closer to boot.
Old 2008-08-21, 15:35   Link #3465
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:

Please, you'd need a gate several kilometers across to funnel enough plasma to do something like that quickly. At best, you'd get a really deep hole with a gate tens of meters across.
Since you mention it'll be shooting upwards, what kind of targets are you thinking of using this against?
Well, it's about the size of Hayate's other big-nasties. Se we're talking a few hundred meters across. That's enough to flash bake anyone caught in it.

Now, it'll be shooting upwards, but the gate appears on the ground. So the targets would be, anyone on the ground, and anyone above it. Generally, everyone. After all, the thing erupts more or less like a beam. So once it's open you're not going to outrun the energy discharge, especially the heat.

Quote:
You misunderstand. The entire star is under high pressure from a few kilometers down onwards. The whole stellar body is PLASMA reigned in by gravity and heats under the force of compression and fusion. The density and pressure in a star is not too outlandish even at mid or near-surface levels to produce a tremendous explosive shockwave. Hell, the heating of the atmosphere alone from the energy coming through the gate could cause a nuclear shockwave if it's not contained in a collumn. The gate opens a gravity free vent. The first thing the plasma's going to do is... "OH LOOK! FOLLOW ME!"

This is not about the spell being efficient, it's about it being mother-sucking insane and powerful... and dangerous. (Rein sealed it away in the corner of her mind and Hayate only randomly finds it in her magic book.) One could say that it's a spell produced by one of Rein's previous masters... and he wasn't quite... sane.

Now, disturbances ... instability in a star? Are you thinking about that? There are only two forces of any considerable nature in a star. Gravity, pulling everything to the center, and the fusion reaction in the core, trying to explode outward. The whole thing is a giant disturbance. It can't destablize like so many science fiction freaks want you to believe... No. You open a hole, some plasma will jet out, and everything around will just fill it in because it's a high density fluid being crushed inwards by gravitational force.

Quote:
Good, now do you see the possibilities of gating in your attacks instead of producing them yourself?
??? You squakin at me? YOU SQUAKIN AT ME? No seriously, are you making some point from a previous conversation I didn't take part of?

Quote:
You can do the Rift Generator attack by opening a gate into space. Then, you can do a water attack by opening a gate into the ocean depths.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 18:48   Link #3466
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I don't feel like quoting. But I'll say my piece one last time over what I don't like about the 40k's "hegemony". At one point in this thread, and recently in IRC (mainly because of the SSX bits), one man have been forcing the 40k down people's throats. He won't stop. He admit that he have gone overboard at times. To the point that a couple of people have been facepalming, and some have started to cringe whenever the two numbers and the one letter are brought about.

People, mostly those from the other side, who you call miltakus, have voiced their opinions, mostly not favorable, about it. One even asked for some moderation. But that one basically received the "lol stfu" treatment.

So then SSX came, and as IRC folks has witnessed it, it was chanting about 40kism and Chaos nonsense all over. To the point it felt tactless, bordering on gloating.

There are so much that one can take. And I made it clear to him that I am not going to let him brainwash the two numbers and one letter in me. I enjoy this thread and the channel because I could exchange ideas with people from different horizons, with different frames of references. The most delicious being those related to judaism and mythologies. Sure, 40k and HOTBLOOD are all the rage in this thread. But, you know, a little moderation is not bad either.

What I ask is a little moderation, and maybe a slightly different look on things.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 19:29   Link #3467
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I don't feel like quoting. But I'll say my piece one last time over what I don't like about the 40k's "hegemony". At one point in this thread, and recently in IRC (mainly because of the SSX bits), one man have been forcing the 40k down people's throats. He won't stop. He admit that he have gone overboard at times. To the point that a couple of people have been facepalming, and some have started to cringe whenever the two numbers and the one letter are brought about.

People, mostly those from the other side, who you call miltakus, have voiced their opinions, mostly not favorable, about it. One even asked for some moderation. But that one basically received the "lol stfu" treatment.

So then SSX came, and as IRC folks has witnessed it, it was chanting about 40kism and Chaos nonsense all over. To the point it felt tactless, bordering on gloating.

There are so much that one can take. And I made it clear to him that I am not going to let him brainwash the two numbers and one letter in me. I enjoy this thread and the channel because I could exchange ideas with people from different horizons, with different frames of references. The most delicious being those related to judaism and mythologies. Sure, 40k and HOTBLOOD are all the rage in this thread. But, you know, a little moderation is not bad either.

What I ask is a little moderation, and maybe a slightly different look on things.
Sheba, you need to chill out and stop taking this so goddamn seriously. If you don't like the 40K stuff, then there's a very simple solution for dealing with it: it's called turning the other cheek. I do it all the time with the milotaku and the emo crap that people pump out every now and then; I paid no attention to Alpha back when Kage was still working on it, and I've learned to ignore Eva's "lol Fate-flavored tang" jokes. So if whoever it is you're referring to is spewing 40K-isms everywhere, take a page from my book: lend him a deaf ear and keep working on whatever it is you're doing with no regard for the stuff he's smoking.

And to the 40K advocate (you know who you are): take care that you do not descend to Haru's level on these boards as Sheba claims you have, lest the mods bring the ban hammer down on your head. If things are indeed as bad as Sheba claims they are, then bear in mind that you have absolutely no right whatsoever to dictate to a writer how he does his work.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 21:15   Link #3468
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Not really in the best of positions to take opposition, since I'm quite enthusiastic about the inclusion of 40K ideas into the Nanohaverse (if only because the similarities breed some good crack), but then again no one's telling you to accept it as canon at gunpoint. Even amongst Kerokanon, with once certain ideas getting shuffled around in a mess of continuity and canonical confusion, the only true thing among our scenarios is to simply believe in what you do and stick to it.

Besides, you think this is bad, try the first few months of OC when Warhammer 40K and Gurren Lagann and SRW crack were being tossed around with reckless abandon everywhere. Compared to back then, this is nothing.

Moderation is good, and it's been an ideal this thread has been striving to do for the past few months, but I'm honestly not sure the 40K crack deserves such moderation, especially when the hard scenarios written about such crack have been few and far between.

If you want to rage about 40K going overboard, maybe you should look at me... I crossed over an entire race (the Necrons) into the Nanohaverse WHOLESALE, without modification, as a central element in an entire character profile. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but even back then I admit it was less Nanohaverse and more 40K.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 22:05   Link #3469
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Done with a chapter, it's going under correction from some people. I know one thing when I started writing it. I knew how to start, I know how to finish it, mainly because a nice guy sharing the same family name as the Motorhead's guitarist has provided me the barebone of the story. It was like... So simple, I has it under my eyes all along. The hardest for me will be the journey, where I expect a long bumpy road from the real life challenges. Only I am not too sure if 14k words were reasonable for a first chapter.
Old 2008-08-22, 00:57   Link #3470
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Question: What are the limits to blocking incoming attacks?
Well Divine Buster can pass thru for starters.

It usually works more in a "confuse block" rather than a "real block".

Quote:
In my opinion, this spell sounds a bit too collateral for the TSAB. We agreed that Mass Based weaponry is okay if used with magic, but this spell functions like a frag mine. There is no control who gets hurt.
True but it's not like the fragments spread out to hit randomly. Only those in the beam are affected. And the explosion strength is relative to the beam strength as well.

Quote:
A portal of sorts, right? Are enemies capable of crossing this portal?
Quote:
The, while the tunnel is open, anyone on those two locations can move to travel to the other side, traveling in pseudo-voidspace- sometimes, battles can occur in the tunnel but normally the force of the tunnel opening on the other side is enough to deter anyone from entering for the vital first few seconds.
there's your answer
Old 2008-08-22, 02:55   Link #3471
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I don't feel like quoting. But I'll say my piece one last time over what I don't like about the 40k's "hegemony". At one point in this thread, and recently in IRC (mainly because of the SSX bits), one man have been forcing the 40k down people's throats.
At no point in time did we force 40K down anyone's throat. At no point in time did we ever say that 40K was the only way. Just because some of us like to make 40K references out of things doesn't mean that the rest of the thread must use them. That's ridiculous, and we never even suggested such a thing.

Some of us use 40K in the mix of our characters and lore, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it, then there is no reason for you to use it. We won't force you to.

We have never, and will never try and 'brainwash' people into using 40K references, but that doesn't mean that we will stop using them for our own works. Why, pray do tell, should we? There is no such thing as a 'diktat' there is no such thing as a 'hegemony' the only ones using 40K references are those who want to use 40K references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
If you want to rage about 40K going overboard, maybe you should look at me... I crossed over an entire race (the Necrons) into the Nanohaverse WHOLESALE, without modification, as a central element in an entire character profile. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but even back then I admit it was less Nanohaverse and more 40K.
To be fair, the background part wasn't wrong per se. Heck, you would have gotten away with it without anyone knowing if I hadn't recognised the Necron symbol.

It was when we started importing the Necron themselves that things spiraled off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Well Divine Buster can pass thru for starters.

It usually works more in a "confuse block" rather than a "real block".
Confuse block?

Quote:
True but it's not like the fragments spread out to hit randomly. Only those in the beam are affected. And the explosion strength is relative to the beam strength as well.
You described it as 'gathering debris and then exploding' how does that not spread out debris randomly?

Quote:
there's your answer
Ah, must have missed that.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-08-22 at 04:55.
Old 2008-08-22, 12:24   Link #3472
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

At that one point, I'll just leave it. But now I hope that my stance on it is clear. Actually, I am relieved because I have gotten a start, thanks to beta readers' feedbacks and corrections. They were on the encouraging and humbling side, as it makes me realize that I may be not that bad on some departments, but I also have a lot to learn. I will post it later that night.
Old 2008-08-22, 13:12   Link #3473
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Trailer of something in TF6:

Spoiler:

People complaining about Hayate being shafted and useless do not know how to use her.

Also, one more thing: as a battlefield commander, it is not Hayate's job to get into combat and mix things up. By doing so, she loses sight of the broad picture. She's not being paid her salary, nor does she have her Lieutenant Colonel rank, to be just another grunt. Her job is to keep track of the battlefield, manage her combat assets and lead her people. If she's going to be another grunt, she might as well accept a demotion and forget being RF6's Commanding Officer. She is the Commanding Officer. It is her job to Command.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-08-22 at 14:19.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 13:55   Link #3474
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

So I tried:
Spoiler for Kha, circa MC 0069:
Creator's Notes

The source material was Otto in a white cassock. Kha being a member of a religious organization could use a proper gown, unlike his Kruznik-inspired one Hayate designed for him.

And so I started. And I very quickly learnt that Otto was FAR from a perfect reverse trap. Several feminine features had to be Warped away, and excessive chest shadows erased. The corset had to be stretched, but even so, it was STUCK there as red as an eyesore.

And lets not forget the shoulders; I first "dislocated" them, then gave Kha scholeosis, then fractured his clavicle, before making it anatomically sound.

This is my first major attempt at heavily shopping a picture. My thanks to the IRC for bearing with my repeated evaluation requests! So please, go ahead and tear into it. How can I improve, good masters of Photoshock?
Old 2008-08-22, 15:48   Link #3475
Julius Firefocht

Quote:

I will not lie...the truth is, I enjoy mixing anime with 40K. Its just about the only way I can play my Blood Angels Space Marines, feel like I am fighting the good fight for my beloved Feito-chan and shout "FOR FEITO-CHAN!!!!" whenever they charge into close combat, or just need that extra bit of luck from the divine.

All these crossovers of universes and such, well, call it a manifestation of the writers' love for two hobbies/genres that will never get to officially cross paths in the foreseeable future. Call it a dilution of the core values and features that make the respective universes unique. It makes no differences, people enjoy doing it, some enjoy reading it, and if you don't like it, then in all honesty there are other fanfics or fanmade universes to indulge yourself in. I am sure 40K related stuff are a minority within the entire Nanoha fanfic collection...one look at Fanfiction.net's Nanoha section would confirm that.

Also, do not worry about getting brainwashed into liking 40K. The cost of entry into the game is prohibitive, to put it mildly. It should be a good deterrent to anyone thinking of starting this expensive hobby.

In the meantime, I am continuing to work on my own Nanoha/40K project, as are Kha, Keroko and the others. Except I am not bringing 40K into the Nanoha universe. No, I bought Fate, Nanoha and Hayate into the 40K universe instead. And I am having great fun doing it.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 16:06   Link #3476
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht View Post
I will not lie...the truth is, I enjoy mixing anime with 40K. Its just about the only way I can play my Blood Angels Space Marines, feel like I am fighting the good fight for my beloved Feito-chan and shout "FOR FEITO-CHAN!!!!" whenever they charge into close combat, or just need that extra bit of luck from the divine.

All these crossovers of universes and such, well, call it a manifestation of the writers' love for two hobbies/genres that will never get to officially cross paths in the foreseeable future. Call it a dilution of the core values and features that make the respective universes unique. It makes no differences, people enjoy doing it, some enjoy reading it, and if you don't like it, then in all honesty there are other fanfics or fanmade universes to indulge yourself in. I am sure 40K related stuff are a minority within the entire Nanoha fanfic collection...one look at Fanfiction.net's Nanoha section would confirm that.

Also, do not worry about getting brainwashed into liking 40K. The cost of entry into the game is prohibitive, to put it mildly. It should be a good deterrent to anyone thinking of starting this expensive hobby.

In the meantime, I am continuing to work on my own Nanoha/40K project, as are Kha, Keroko and the others. Except I am not bringing 40K into the Nanoha universe. No, I bought Fate, Nanoha and Hayate into the 40K universe instead. And I am having great fun doing it.
I am not going to stop you from doing it. If you manage to deliver, more power to you.
Old 2008-08-22, 22:33   Link #3477
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Well, this took way to long to get out. And during the weekend too!

Ach. Update during a slow time.

Oh well. Enjoy, in any case.

Spoiler for Act 2:

Last edited by Tempy; 2008-08-22 at 23:50. Reason: Minor edits and grammar fixes
Tempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 22:42   Link #3478
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Confuse block?
Well big explosions can make one think twice about firing or passing thru.

Anyone caught in a field of explosions will also

Quote:
You described it as 'gathering debris and then exploding' how does that not spread out debris randomly?
it was supposed to be of limited range

"was" being the operative word because a 60 minute OCC discussion again redeveloped the spell- so the spell description is now totally invalid.

and yes since you are the only one who replied in that post it was still FISSION MAILED

But i'll still post Skill Evaluations

Quote:
Ah, must have missed that.
oh well that's the problem

I get it too simple and people don't get it

I get it too detailed and people say it's too complicated.

Old 2008-08-23, 00:54   Link #3479
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:

oh well that's the problem

I get it too simple and people don't get it

I get it too detailed and people say it's too complicated.

It just does not help when your questions get Tetris'ed under various outbursts of different brands of crack. Sorry for not giving the evaluation, too busy with my own stuff.
Old 2008-08-23, 00:56   Link #3480
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Here I drop my HUGE tetris!

The first chapter of a story. While I love the thrillers of the spy or political kind, my reading background made me cut more for the simpler stories.

Expect not:

- Me managing the huge cast. I stuck to a trimmed down cast I can somewhat manage.

- Geass-like plot twists.

- Death Note-like Mind Games.

- Battle plans a la Hannibal.

Spoiler for Journeyers chapter I.1":

Last edited by Sheba; 2008-09-27 at 20:07.

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content