AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the stories coming from anime lately?
repetative 13 28.26%
so/so 13 28.26%
satisfied 19 41.30%
love them all 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-07-21, 13:05   Link #1
Light/Dark>0TAKU
//Digital>Damnati0n\\

Exclamation Whats the best non cliche anime?

Whats the best non cliche (aka. something new, or something some what new that brings something new to the table). Also it must have little to none japanese sterotypes!

I would have to say ghost in the shell and fclc.
Light/Dark>0TAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:15   Link #2
Kisuke06
I see...

Well... I would say Full Metal Alchemist.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:22   Link #3
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

far as I know...xxxHOLIC is pretty original
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:53   Link #4
Ending

Out of the recent ones: Shuffle was almost a nice try and Yakitate Japan was pretty decend, actually, but the manga was a lot better. Both too long, though. The best one thus far has been the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which has a good, interesting protagonist. Shame that some parts of the story have become blatantly obvious. Disgaea gave me a few laughs too.

That's three series worth mentioning in total, but in contrast the number of market-fillers is a lot bigger, so I had to vote "repetitive." But as long there is even three or four new, promising animes for every quarter, I'd be satisfied. Even if the situation could be a lot better.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 14:03   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is this thread for discussing something or do you just want people to suggest anime...
I personally consider most of the shows original... maybe I'm just weird but I like Them all... well... I'll drop some... but I'll usually consider the idea original even if I don't follow the presentation very much...

Anyway... just look at my sig for a few... but there are a lot more...
To be honest the only shows that I would consider cliché... would be those that would fit in some of these categories : ghost story ; humanoid alien story ; overpowered violent character story
Old 2006-07-21, 15:03   Link #6
Light/Dark>0TAKU
//Digital>Damnati0n\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Is this thread for discussing something or do you just want people to suggest anime...
A bit of both, casual disscussion

Also your forgetting the high school [insert word here] cliche, the rising to be the best cliche

As long as the cliche's are handled well I don't mind them that much
Old 2006-07-21, 17:09   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I understand the thread question but the poll choices don't seem to relate.... or they're too broad a sweeping generalization.

Shuffle! was a bit unusual... (til the trainwreck of the story).
Suzumiya Haruhi is good... its full of cliche bits but they're assembled in a way that is highly unusual (and the production quality, animation, script, acting, etc).
Lamune and REC both score cliche-breaking points for their straight ahead style and motifs.

GITS.... has been out quite a while and I assume you're asking about recent anime.

There's nothing wrong with cliche if it is used a springboard to do something unusual or if its done really well. After all, there hasn't been a really original story since the Ice Age.... just more clutter and dressing.
Old 2006-07-21, 17:14   Link #8
mit7059

I would say Honey & Clover, just because of it's believable plot and characters. It deals with actually problems that adolecents (like me ) face. The characters grow and mature and the storytelling is masterful.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 18:04   Link #9
SlugZilla
woofles

In recent memory? I'd have to say Zettai Shonen, I haven't seen any like it before.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 23:48   Link #10
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

I Would go with Parania agent for the most uncliche
Old 2006-07-22, 00:58   Link #11
Light/Dark>0TAKU
//Digital>Damnati0n\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I understand the thread question but the poll choices don't seem to relate.... or they're too broad a sweeping generalization...........

..................There's nothing wrong with cliche if it is used a springboard to do something unusual or if its done really well. After all, there hasn't been a really original story since the Ice Age.... just more clutter and dressing.
As for the poll maybe the choices may have been broad but I think people get the general idea about it.

As for cliches, if some are done in a cool style or just handled well they are ok but.....

but some.......... are just getting way to old and annoying!

Ex. guy falls on girl, female is more than likely the one in danger, female can't fight, accedental nude sceen between guy and girl guy gets slaped, (may not exactly by a cliche) main chatacter's character needs to develope
Old 2006-07-22, 01:36   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ahhhhh... here's my most annoying.... the damned "boob check grab" gag (ref: Ai Yori Aoshi, Karin, others).... its dumb, not sexy, and none of the Japanese girls I know have *ever* seen that happen in real life in Japan. yeah, they gauge each other like most other girls do....
but the lame gag animators really need to bury that one.
Old 2006-07-22, 02:15   Link #13
Light/Dark>0TAKU
//Digital>Damnati0n\\

here is the biggest cliche of all

~drumroll~

find naked girl in [insert location here]
Old 2006-07-22, 07:05   Link #14
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm going to say Honey and Clover. In most anime, love is often requited by the end of the series with the leads being lovey-dovey with one another. Not so with Honey and Clover. Its sheer emphasis on humanistic realism with no suprahuman characters gives it an edge over other anime around. The drawing style (watercolor) is also quite unique, and don't forget the very well synchronized organic balance between drama and humor.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 09:50   Link #15
Lotiman

Not much new anime with originality lately. Well, I haven't watch all anime release in July yet. But from the one that I already watched none of them with original story.

XxxHolic did ok for the past months and Suzumiya Haruhi.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 14:56   Link #16
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

I don't mind watching the same animegenre time and time again.
As long as there will appear an anime like Gantz. That is one cool original anime.

Or when the fillers will stop at naruto and bleach!
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 17:17   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I voted "satisfied" since I really do find a lot to enjoy in anime that have been coming out over the past couple of years. Even cliches can be great if they're handled well. Cliches only get established because they are memes that people enjoy.

I really haven't seen all the classics, so I can only talk about more recent things, but I think Suzumiya Haruhi, Honey & Clover and Simoun are three recent shows that go well beyond the cliches. And Haibane Renmei is a pretty unique situation. The cliche aspects of SHnY are just on the surface -- school life, moe, monsters -- and have little to do with the essential nature of the show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 17:21   Link #18
kari-no-sugata

The problem with the question ("best non-cliche") is that what's considered cliche can vary wildly, and depends on experiance a lot.

There's also a significant difference between "non cliche" and "done well" - a story can be fairly unoriginal and have fairly unoriginal developments, yet is so well characterised and "directed" that you don't care - it doesn't "feel" cliche, even though it probably is from a more objective viewpoint.

There's also the problem that a story can have some interesting ideas in setup, yet doesn't really follow-through on them. ie, doesn't seem cliche to start with, but quickly becomes so. You can have the opposite - stories which feel cliche at the start, yet develop into very powerful and original stories. I often find that some of the best series have a more "average" start.

Also, with a medium like anime, you can have what is perhaps a fairly normal story, but present it in a very unusual way - like "Flag", to take a very recent example. You can have series which are highly unconventional in how they are presented, yet are still somewhat cliche.

Anyway... Here's some anime which I think is good and non cliche:
Gunslinger Girl - it seems like it should be a tragic / action series, but it's more like an uplifting character drama.

Juuni Kokki - first ep seems to be somewhat cliche. But it's not.

Nadishico - kinda meta-cliche. Uses just about every one in the book, and laughs at them.

Crest of the Stars (and follow-on series).

...I could probably think of more. If it ever gets animated, Skip Beat! (my current favourite manga) would be good candidate - so long as it got animted well.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 20:31   Link #19
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Yomigaeru Sora and PlanetES?
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 15:54   Link #20
Lambda

They're pretty well supported just at the moment. I've never seen anything that's really like Haruhi or Higurashi before, (funnily enough, they've come along at the same time and both refuse to put their episodes in chronological order, but for completely different reasons), and Simoun may be conventional in basic structure, but its content is fascinating.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote