AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-12, 05:00   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The Halloween 2006 Banner Contest! (Surprise! A new banner contest already!)

Welcome to the new Halloween banner contest. You've all seen the great banners we have at the top of our forum. Some of you remember the last banner contest. Others have wondered where those cool banners come from. In case you didn't know, they were made by people on this forum. Now is your chance to make a banner that will grace our forum for at least the next season.

Before you read any further you should know that the size of our banner is larger than ever before, to give more room for your imagination. We are also using a new Halloween color scheme for the background. Details below.

Banners may contain anime artwork from any source including your own art. They must be anime related and they must be appropriate for our forum. The theme for this banner contest is the season of Halloween. As an exception to this theme we will be allowing anything that includes our mascot, Kairin since she begged me so cutely to let her in. All entries should include anime images related to Halloween such as costumes, ghosts, pumpkins or spooky monsters. Feel free to use your imagination, but I will invalidate anything that does not feel like Haloween to me, unless it contains an image of Kairin. Kairin is always good! Hopefully we'll see some original artwork of our beautiful and classy mascot. If you want to work with any of the official images created by Kiva128, you will find some of his drawings in the Kairin Fanart Thread. I'll mention that while Kiva128 has granted permission for use of the images that he has released in that thread, other artists have chosen to keep their rights and you should ask their permission.

The rest of the rules:
  • All entries must have Kairin or a Halloween theme.
  • Banners are 760x100 and a maximum of 60KB in size, using the gradiant below as a guide.
  • The edges of all banners must blend into the top bar. Please see below for details.
  • All entries must be in GIF, PNG or JPG format. Remember, we want the banner to be able to load quickly for the sake of 56Kers so no animations will be accepted and filesize should be kept to 60K or less.
  • Each member may only enter 3 banners maximum. If you go over this number you need to specify which banners to use or else your last 3 entries will be used.
  • Members will only have until 06:00:00 Tues Sept 26 2006 in GMT to create banners. Check Time Zone Converter for information on what time this is near you. (In EST this is 2am Tuesday morning... or really late Monday night.)
  • This thread is to be used for banner entries only. Nominations in this thread will be ignored. However it is the place to tell each other which banners you like, I just won't count it as a nomination.
  • After this thread closes, a new thread will be created in which everyone will nominate their favorite banners. Nominations will run for exactly 7 more days, until Oct 3rd, 2006 at which time the nomination thread will be closed.
  • At this time the 10 most popular banners will be put up on a poll for the entire forum to vote for since more people respond to polls that don't require them to post. Each contestant will only be listed once regardless of how many banners he entered.
  • The poll will close on October 10th after exactly 7 days of voting. Polls close automatically so please check the poll for information concerning when it will close in your timezone.
  • The three most popular banners will be chosen to rotate at the top of our forum.
  • Of these three, One is the winner and the other two are runner ups. The winner is the contestant whose entry got the greatest number of votes. As recognition of the accomplishment this winner will recieve a $35 dollar gift certificate provided by Catgirls.

Disclaimers:
  • I may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate.
  • No moderators (of any rank) are allowed to win the grand prize. If by some stroke of brilliant artistry one of us does win, the prize will go to the first runner up.
  • All submitted banners become property of AnimeSuki and may be used now or in future years without asking your permission.

If you want to use the AnimeSuki font, there it is. This is optional.

Important: The right and left edges of the banner must blend into the top bar. That means the very edge of the template below must not be covered by any image or else it will look like it has been cut off. If a mistake is made on edge blending we will all try to point it out so that it can be fixed. Banners whose edges are messed up will be ineligable.

Here is our new Halloween template:

Make sure you keep the far right and left sides clear of image so that it blends properly at the right and left.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-09-27 at 02:46.
Old 2006-09-12, 05:15   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I hope that everyone has fun with our new contest. Even more importantly Catgirls hopes everyone has fun which is why he was so eager to put up a prize again so soon after our last contest.

In case anyone is curious what the new background gradiant will look like, Catgirls has prepared this sample. There are several things wrong with it. Please try to figure out what they are before clicking on the answer:

Spoiler for errors in that banner:

One final comment. We are hoping to find a new banner for our main site as well, so while you are submitting banners for our forum, please think about making a matching banner for our main site and we might choose to use it.

I'd like to say that we have rules for this, but I'm afraid that it isn't so organized. I'll just say that we'll give preference to whomever wins this contest.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-09-12, 07:08   Link #3
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Wah a new contest~ Thank you Animesuki and Catgirls!

BTW Hellychan, I hope... no, demand that you post again your Honey & Clover halloween themed banner which I saw in Autumn Banner Contest!

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-09-12 at 07:27.
Old 2006-09-12, 08:12   Link #4
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

First Entry! In the contest, and for me, ever!

I've always wanted to try making one of these... so, here ya go. It's halloween, so, you totally need a Sugar Sugar Rune banner in the mix!

I hope it doesn't break any rules... I've never done this before.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-09-12, 08:28   Link #5
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Wow this is a surprise indeed. Wasn't expecting a Halloween banner contest since the Autumn one was only a few weeks ago.

Regardless, this time I have a secret weapon in my arsenal. The only problem is that it isn't finished yet (what else is new? )

I promise I'll enter this contest with a new picture of Kairin (unlike last time). Even if I have to work all day to get it done, I will finish it before the deadline. It's in the early colouring stages atm so I got a little under 2 weeks to finish it. If I can't, I'll finish the parts only visible in the banner if I have to.

And I think it'll work very well with the Halloween banner to be honest. I'm pretty psyched about this one. I'd like to give you a little preview but that would ruin the surprise, and where's the fun in that?

Btw, I added an easy-to-edit Kairin in her bikini in the Kairin art thread. I removed the flower in her hair as well since it doesn't fit the Halloween theme.

Good luck to all the contestants.

P.S. and I agree that Hellychan should redo her Hallowen Honey and Clover banner for this contest. 'Twas quite good.

P.P.S. I'm very excited about the fact that a banner is going on the main site now. Go Kairin!
Old 2006-09-12, 08:29   Link #6
Shay
Monarch Programmer

This time I am definitely going to take part!

I am also going to put a hex on my banner which will curse any individual who dares to even look at it for more than 8 seconds. Also whoever votes for my banner will die, instantly!

I'm giving you this warning in advance, because as Halloween nears, the powers of evil become more commanding within my being.

This is all for your protection. Thank me!

Bored at work...

Old 2006-09-12, 08:29   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
As an exception to this theme we will be allowing anything that includes our mascot, Kiarin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva128
I promise I'll enter this contest with a new picture of Kairin (unlike last time).
lol... Are those the official names. I'll still use "Karin"
Old 2006-09-12, 08:32   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Question

Quote:
...please think about making a matching banner for our main site and we might choose to use it... ...we'll give preference to whomever wins this contest.
I would like to suggest an addendum to this... I think, though you're welcome to disagree, that we do not want to use just "any" character on the main site (winning banner or not). I like having a range on the forum, but the main site should be kept clean and focused; random characters do not offer that. If, or when, we replace the current (main site) banner, I would rather we replaced it with something featuring Kairin, by which I mean I will be more likely to resist the use of a banner that doesn't feature her, and more likely to support one that does!

Quarkboy: I think your banner is well within the rules. The middle is a little blurred / ill-defined IMHO, but it is fine by the rules . I assume the character in the middle is a witch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
lol... Are those the official names. I'll still use "Karin"
K, A, I, R, I, N ...
Kairin is the only offical name... it just happens to be very easy to typo
Old 2006-09-12, 09:06   Link #9
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Quarkboy: I think your banner is well within the rules. The middle is a little blurred / ill-defined IMHO, but it is fine by the rules . I assume the character in the middle is a witch?
Yeah, it's a bit blurred. It's cloudy... And of course she's a witch, doesn't the hat give it away? A contemplative halloween banner, I thought.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-09-12, 09:13   Link #10
wao
OK.

Waaaaaaaarggghhh!!!!! Here I must cry tears of anguish because while this is like a dream come true - larger size, FINALLY a different (and nicer) colour scheme to work with - it's just...

Bad timing

Good luck to the participants of this banner contest and I'm sure there will be great stuff... and you won't see my annoying face here this time because I simply can't take part. The submission date is the day after our first exam and these exams are the one thing that decides our performance this year so I can't spend time on this. I would sulk in a corner if I had time to...

...and to finish this self-absorbed post on an egotistical note, just to make it clear I don't mind anyone doing anything to any Kairin pictures I've posted in the Kairin thread. Back to binomial theorem it is then.
Old 2006-09-12, 09:51   Link #11
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
... Back to binomial theorem it is then.
Then prove:

Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-09-12, 10:02   Link #12
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

I have a question. Will the winning banner be made into a Skin? It would be cool to have more skins....Like a Zechs Skin.
Old 2006-09-12, 10:08   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster192
Will the winning banner be made into a Skin?
No... they just replace the current banners. However, see my answer to a similar question in the "How about..." thread, in the Forum & Site Feedback forum.
Old 2006-09-12, 10:28   Link #14
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Then prove:

I nominate this banner for Halloween. It's pure evilness and will scare everyone.

Quote:
It has an extraneous comment about signatures that doesn't belong on our forum banner!
Excuse me for being dense. Does that mean we can we have text other than "AnimeSuki Forums" or not?

Back to Random Signal Theory for me haha.
Old 2006-09-12, 10:42   Link #15
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Does that mean we can we have text other than "AnimeSuki Forums" or not?
I would say it means:
You must not include text other than "AnimeSuki Forums"
Old 2006-09-12, 11:04   Link #16
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
aw, wao isn't going to make one

This time, I just have to do one, I can't resist the bigger banner, is inviting me to do something, anything at all!
Old 2006-09-12, 11:32   Link #17
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
BTW Hellychan, I hope... no, demand that you post again your Honey & Clover halloween themed banner which I saw in Autumn Banner Contest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
P.S. and I agree that Hellychan should redo her Hallowen Honey and Clover banner for this contest. 'Twas quite good.
Thank you! Wee~!! I won't disappoint you

Gahh! Quarkboy, remove your mathematics thingy, my head hurts ~_~

j/k =P Good luck for your exams wao!

I'm looking to see everyone's entry(ies)

Once my exams are done, I'll begin to work on the banner(s?)

Doh~ and thx again Catgirls ^^

NSW: I have a urge to edit your "Kiarin" to "Kairin" back...è_é...
Old 2006-09-12, 12:05   Link #18
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
woohoo another chance at this but wasnt it a bit quick? the last contest didnt seem very long ago...
still im happy and its time to get my brain in gear

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-09-12, 13:12   Link #19
Rin-Sama
Banned

I'll see what i can come up with this contest.
Old 2006-09-12, 13:47   Link #20
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I always missed out those banner contest. First time submitting one. This ok?
Closed Thread

Tags
banner contest, contest