Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-14, 16:11   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Movie: Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/

Possibly fascinating prequel of how the Wizard came to be...
Old 2012-07-14, 16:16   Link #2
Lightning_Wing

Hopefully they can pull this off well, it will be amazing if they do.
Old 2012-07-14, 16:41   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Looks interesting. Here is the trailer.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:42   Link #4
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I love how the first half of the trailer is in black and white. The visual is lovely as well, with vibrant and animated colours. Plus, I also like the casts.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:14   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I love how the first half of the trailer is in black and white. The visual is lovely as well, with vibrant and animated colours. Plus, I also like the casts.
If you haven't, you need to see the original 1930s "Wizard of Oz". The black'n'white of Kansas coupled with the eye-popping color in Oz is directly from that. The movie holds up quite well even today 80 years later.

And YES... flying monkeys!!!!! Those scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid.
Old 2012-07-14, 17:22   Link #6
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you haven't, you need to see the original 1930s "Wizard of Oz". The black'n'white of Kansas coupled with the eye-popping color in Oz is directly from that. The movie holds up quite well even today 80 years later.

And YES... flying monkeys!!!!! Those scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid.
Yes, strangely enough, I have not watched the original version. Given that this is a prequel, would it matter much if I choose to watch the original version after I watch this?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:33   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Yes, strangely enough, I have not watched the original version. Given that this is a prequel, would it matter much if I choose to watch the original version after I watch this?
I think so. When a prequel is made long after an original classic movie, the story of the prequel usually makes sense or has a lot of "I get it" moments because of the events in the original. In this case you need to remember that The Wizard of Oz was its own, self-contained story; this is simply building off of it.

Story and inside jokes aside, I think you'll have a hard time appreciating the original if you watch this first. The original is good, but it's clearly an older movie. Everything from the visual effects to the acting styles make that clear. This movie is clearly done in a modern style. So I'd say, watch The Wizard of Oz to get a feel for the world, and then watch a rendition done with everything that modern technology has to offer. I think you'll enjoy it much more that way.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:22   Link #8
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yes, Muaha, see the original Wizard of Oz before this new movie. The Wizard of Oz is a true classic in the world of films.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:19   Link #9
james0246

The special effects are quite nice, and the music is good, but James Franco looks very awkward and his acting seems very...well its not that good. Still, I have some hope for the feature and hopefully future trailers will fix some of these problems.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:52   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Echoing the other posters, yes, I highly recommend you see the classic The Wizard of Oz before you see this new movie. If for nothing else, than enjoying a good, classic movie.

Endless "Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my! " Soul
Old 2012-07-15, 11:29   Link #11
Blaat

Lovely to see the Kansas part of the movie in black and white and full screen.
I also noticed the the people made of china an element which were in the books (and the anime series) but not in the 1939 movie.
Old 2012-07-15, 13:29   Link #12
Bern-san

As someone who read the book and have the DVD of the 1930s film, I'm excited for this film!
As much as I love James Franco I thought that his acting in the trailer was a little bit awkward. Maybe in the actual movie it's better.
Old 2012-07-15, 16:19   Link #13
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Some people aren't happy with the Spiderman trilogy association. I say Spiderman was good the first time, he just has trouble build on it. As as log as he isn't making Oz 2, I say this movie has good chances.
Old 2012-07-15, 16:32   Link #14
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Looks interesting, though I'd have preferred a far more gritty and realistic tone than the vibrant colored themepark vibe ala Alice in Wonderland.

Haven't read the Oz novels since I was a young boy, but what I can recall would suggest the very real possibilities for a far more adult visualization than what hollywood seems to want to go with, both in all the Wonderful Wizard of Oz incarnations, and now this.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:41   Link #15
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Looks interesting, though I'd have preferred a far more gritty and realistic tone than the vibrant colored themepark vibe ala Alice in Wonderland.

Haven't read the Oz novels since I was a young boy, but what I can recall would suggest the very real possibilities for a far more adult visualization than what hollywood seems to want to go with, both in all the Wonderful Wizard of Oz incarnations, and now this.
The vibrant colours is replicating the original movie. The trailer suggests that Oz is actually a much MORE dangerous place before Dorothy ever appeared, and that Oscar Diggs managed to strike a peace deal with all the witches and thus allow a young girl and her puppy to survive later on.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:28   Link #16
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Hm... on one hand, I do like the very vibrant colors and special effects. But on the other... well, for one, it definitely has too much of the Alice in Wonderland vibe. The key element missing from this seems to be symbolism (based off what I've seen in the trailer). The original had tons and tons of symbolism, which made it a classic. This prequel... while there certainly is a story to tell, just doesn't feel like the Oz that it's the original.

Nonetheless, I certainly am interested.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 02:41   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I've read the entire series of books (14 I think) written by Baum about Oz so I'm rather interested to see what they portray...
Old 2012-07-16, 08:58   Link #18
Shakiga
Shadow user

Quote:
Hm... on one hand, I do like the very vibrant colors and special effects. But on the other... well, for one, it definitely has too much of the Alice in Wonderland vibe. The key element missing from this seems to be symbolism (based off what I've seen in the trailer). The original had tons and tons of symbolism, which made it a classic. This prequel... while there certainly is a story to tell, just doesn't feel like the Oz that it's the original.
Well, making a prequel based on a work you've already known about since childhood certainly will make you feel that way. And yeah, I share your opinions. But in cases like this, I would choose to enjoy it for what it is rather than of it being a prequel.
Shakiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 15:30   Link #19
Tigress

This looks like it could be awesome. I have seen Wicked on a trip to London, which was an explanation of how the wicked witch of the west came to be. I loved it! ^.^

I'll be watching for this new OZ movie and I hope they do just as good a job with it.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote