AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-26, 22:45   Link #1
Mithos
Disabled By Request

The Future of Bit Torrent Websites

There seems to be a new trend and I'm sure others have thought about it. There is a website that requires you to log in to dl torrents etc. It also keeps track of what you are downloading and uploading. And if you don't upload as much as you dl you might get banned. If you're not a registered user you may be banned as well. I'm wondering what others are thinking about this new trend and I'm wondering if Animesuki might do the same.
Mithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 22:48   Link #2
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
I think that is a really good idea. It will help to keep the torrents alive and prevent Bit Torrent from dying like it seems to be at this point with all the new clients coming out allowing you to completely block off your upload speed. This will keep people uploading, it's a good idea in theory, but probably not a good idea in practice.
DAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 23:07   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Its impossible. Think about it, if everyone was required to upload more than they download, there wouldn't be enough leechers to seed for. No one could have more upload than download
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 23:15   Link #4
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
Is this some kind of reverse-pyramid scheme?

Like Roots said, what if there are only seeds around and no leechers to upload to?

You can only download from seeds. They won't accept any uploads.

So eventually you end up with too much download and no upload (whatever the threshold is set to). Ooops! You're now banned!

Pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 2004-03-27, 00:13   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
The leechers still help to distribute the file when they download, so they aren't a *total* leech.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 00:20   Link #6
Mithos
Disabled By Request

You can pay a fine to get unbanned.
Mithos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 00:25   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
The leechers still help to distribute the file when they download, so they aren't a *total* leech.
That's true with the older versions, but as was said before, most newer clients allow you to limit your upload.

Maybe a better solution would be to block clients that allow that, but then people with dsl often need to limit their upload to get decent download speeds. So there really is no good solution...
Anyway, I try to leave bittorent open about half an hour after I finish the download. I'd like to leave it going longer, but my isp likes to cap bandwidth when they notice someone uploading for extended periods with no downloading. I do upload longer for something with few seeds though.
If everyone just left the torrent upoad while they watch what they just finished, there would be no problem. I usually end up uploading at least twice the amount I download with just that extra half hour.
Old 2004-03-27, 00:40   Link #8
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I usually try to upload as much as i download, but with my limited upload bandwith (5Kb/s max) some times its impossible. anyway the idea of a suscribed bittorrent download its not that bad IMO. Maybe you can be a seeder some days, and others a leecher, i don't know if that could work.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 00:50   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Download and run Leachers on BT suck. However, they at least DO have to upload something along the way and I've seen some of my downloads where I've already uploaded like 5x's what I downloaded and that's even before the download completes, so overall even leachers help out. It's the one's that download and run that make it so much harder for the rest of us.

Thing is, I don't think some sort of punishment system for leach and run will work. IF someone's on dynamic IP, which many broadband providers seem to favor, then how are you going to catch a leach? All they have to do is reboot their modem/router and bingo, they're on a new IP? Ok, so their account got banned. No biggy. They take the new IP up to the site, register a new account, leach until it's banned, rince and repeat. In short, it won't work. I've worked with networking for years and I've seen similar ideas to stop people from abusing stuff similar to this over and over again and it's nearly impossible. Good idea in theory and I've even thought of it a few times myself, but in practice, it won't work.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 01:00   Link #10
RichMan
????

Bit Torrent is nice and all(my only way to get good anime), but in the future I hope that all anime downloads are done as regular direct downloads. I'd really like that because then instead of downloading an anime at 1-10KB, I will download at 600KB. Thats why I like this one Naruto website that actually lets you do that! But the only bad part is that they limit you to only 2 downloads per day. Well, maybe in the future it'll be cheap to make an anime website and it'll have unlimited space and bandwidth(a guy can dream, right?) It's possible...
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 01:30   Link #11
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
Bit Torrent is nice and all(my only way to get good anime), but in the future I hope that all anime downloads are done as regular direct downloads. I'd really like that because then instead of downloading an anime at 1-10KB, I will download at 600KB. Thats why I like this one Naruto website that actually lets you do that! But the only bad part is that they limit you to only 2 downloads per day. Well, maybe in the future it'll be cheap to make an anime website and it'll have unlimited space and bandwidth(a guy can dream, right?) It's possible...
1-10 kbs on bittorrent? It sounds like you have something set up wrong. Try checking the forum on bittorrent help if you haven't done so already. I rarely get less than 150. I used to rarely get less than 300 but it's slowed down a lot lately. Maybe it is because of these new clients that limit uploads. It seems everytime another one comes out, the average speed falls.
As much as I hate their translations, anime junkies usually gives great speeds for bittorrent. I normally download Yumeria from them at around 350 kbs.
Old 2004-03-27, 01:32   Link #12
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
As much as I hate their translations, anime junkies usually gives great speeds for bittorrent. I normally download Yumeria from them at around 350 kbs.
They probably broke into some computers and put BT bots on them.
Old 2004-03-27, 01:37   Link #13
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
People arent uploading as much so i think we should go for it.
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 02:03   Link #14
RichMan
????

Quote:
1-10 kbs on bittorrent? It sounds like you have something set up wrong. Try checking the forum on bittorrent help if you haven't done so already. I rarely get less than 150. I used to rarely get less than 300 but it's slowed down a lot lately. Maybe it is because of these new clients that limit uploads. It seems everytime another one comes out, the average speed falls.
What? that's crazy.My speeds are ALWAYs around 10kb. The fastest I have ever had it at was about 150kb(which has only happened 2 or 3 times). I did go to the BT help section, but nobody could help me. Maybe it's just that you got 50 seeders or so with Yumeria.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 02:06   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
They probably broke into some computers and put BT bots on them.
Knowing aj, that wouldn't surprise me. I usually avoid them, unless there's no one else subbing a series.
Old 2004-03-27, 03:00   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Knowing aj, that wouldn't surprise me. I usually avoid them, unless there's no one else subbing a series.
i love AJ. i just like AF-F more.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 08:27   Link #17
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
I think you need to realize that not everyone is on a good connection for uploading. I COULD upload more, yes, but it goes 1-2 Kb/s which is just helping someone else with a bad connection. And personally, I think sitting on a queue for a week qualifies as doing my share for a week! My download rate for the most part is only 1Kb/s, or often sits at 0. For hours. In all honesty, I could swear my connection just hates BitTorent, but due to lack of direct downloads, I'm out of other options. Most times when I finish, my share rating his high because I sat all the time on 0 downloading.

Honestly, I HAVE to set my settings at a dial-up speed (I've learned by picking up a new client) even though it's not to get BT downloads in about four days instead of seven. If my computer could handle more uploading volume, I'd do more, but unfortunately, it can't.

Akichan
Akichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 08:55   Link #18
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Its impossible. Think about it, if everyone was required to upload more than they download, there wouldn't be enough leechers to seed for. No one could have more upload than download
Actually what they would do is to set up a certain ratio for download vs upload, and that doesn't have to be 1:1 so it can easily work.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 10:11   Link #19
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
i love AJ. i just like AF-F more.
aj rox u r jelus

BT was never really designed to hold the files a long time. Just like Xdcc bots. If you're looking for an older release you're better off finding it on an fserv or DC++. Forcing people to seed is a waste of time. If it's a new file there are usually plenty of seeds avaliable, adding to this group of seeds is a waste of time as it doesn't help much at all because there are already plenty of seeds.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 14:36   Link #20
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
I work using two methods for my BitTorrent downloads.

I'll usually download at 60KBPS and upload at 30KBPS and then close the window as soon as its finished. However in 95% of cases I will then open up a remote connection to one of my servers and seed for about 8 hours there (Speeds vary depending on amount of leechers.. sometimes 500KBPS.. sometimes 4MBPS.. sometimes more.). I feel that this makes up for me running away on my home connection.
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote