AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 23:46   Link #241
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Man, I haven't had sushi in years....

I tried Pocky for the first time ever recently...thanks to the local Wally World near me.

It was pretty good. Not as sweet as other Asian goodies I've tasted.
"Years" !? I'm not sure I could stand not eating it for a week or so..

Here's a picture collage that my fiance took of some of our dinner yesterday night! (not sure what the app is called, but it instant-collages your pictures!)

From top left to bottom right, Gindara (miso glazed grilled black cod, not actually sushi ), Madai (Red Sea Bream), O-toro (Tuna Belly) and Hokkigai (Surf clam)!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:30   Link #242
willx
Nyaaan~~

Lunch update! Grilled Hamachi with rice, miso soup and some assorted sides. You can tell the picture quality difference between Blackberry & iPhone

Old 2012-11-19, 19:48   Link #243
willx
Nyaaan~~

Hm.. I guess I'm a necromancer.. No one else is posting in this thread

Hot ramen on a cold Monday night! Santouka Ramen opened their first location in Toronto! Shio Ramen, Toroniku and recently.. everything's been better with Kimchi!

All signs point to yes, Yes, YES!
Old 2012-11-19, 21:25   Link #244
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
At least they're cooked... A friend of mine gave some seaweed snack and the smell is enough to make me nauseated... To be fair I managed to eat one strip but spare me for the next one.... LOlss..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 15:55   Link #245
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

@willx - Wow, those foods looks good, and I'm so jealous to see a delicious ramen near where you live! Lovely pictures overall, so I hope you keep posting

Part of the reason I don't really discuss food here is because I usually post about it on my blog, but here's my recent discussion about karaage (Japanese fried chicken) in Hidamari Sketch along with a recipe and some pictures.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 11:02   Link #246
willx
Nyaaan~~

<begin rambling> So lately I've been musing a lot about traditional food and purists .. I'm typically one that scoffs at "asian fusion" and all that .. but recently having been to a few somewhat pricey traditional Chinese dinners, it appalls me to think about dishes that are served not because they taste good, but because they were traditionally eaten by people who were affluent. Makes me pray for a classically french trained chef to spend some time in HK/Asia and raise the standard for some of these traditional dishes. </end rambling>

Anyways, part of the reason I was musing, is because I've been recently eating a lot of "non-traditional" sushi. I can't even lift it up to dip it fish side down in soy sauce (nor was there soy sauce spread on it) because of all the "stuff" on top of it. Things like "gold leaf" are just pointless but .. I had THIS recently and it blew me away!

May I present Butterfish Sushi with a thin layer of soy sauce, lightly fried leeks, roasted garlic and seasoned lightly with garlic oil. It was sooooooooo delicious... I ate the other pieces before my honey could snap the picture ..
Old 2013-01-30, 13:25   Link #247
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Food evolves. I doubt you can ever get the "genuine" article outside the country of origin anyway.

And if we were to be purists about our sushi, wouldn't that mean we couldn't have California Roll?

As for "traditional" food, you may think it tastes bad (or bland), but the people in that country probably love it. Food is fairly subjective. For instance, I'll never particularly like Kimchi, but for Koreans...

As for "Asian Fusion", I'd actually be more keen on seeing more "Eur-Asian Fusion". Wouldn't a sushi flavoured with thyme, basil, rosemary or other European herbs be quite something?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 13:32   Link #248
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As for "Asian Fusion", I'd actually be more keen on seeing more "Eur-Asian Fusion". Wouldn't a sushi flavoured with thyme, basil, rosemary or other European herbs be quite something?
If you mean on raw material, it'll just kill the taste. I've tried.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 13:43   Link #249
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Food evolves. I doubt you can ever get the "genuine" article outside the country of origin anyway.
I've had the genuine article. I've been to Japan, Paris, Caribbean, etc. and although I've never been to China, I grew up eating traditional Chinese cuisine. What I'm lamenting is the lack of evolution in cuisine or people being too purist. I'm all for innovation! (That said, if you're changing it, please call it something else .. or at least emphasize it's not traditional )

The most obvious examples are the contentious shark fin soup (even my relatives that love it agree that it has no flavour) but here's a simpler example. There is a dish that is regularly consumed during Chinese New Year, it's called (phonetically) Fat Choy (髮菜) is actually known as Nostoc flagelliforme and is a cyanobacteria -- (wiki link) it has no nutritional value and is actually a neurotoxin and can cause degenerative diseases. The reason it's consumed? It's name in Cantonese sounds similar to "Get Rich / Striking it Rich"

As for sushi, I have seen Latin and Italian takes on it -- a mix between a tuna tataki vis-a-vis ceviche with some jalapeno oil as well as an uni risotto. They were actually pretty good. I'd say the delicate flavours of raw fish go better with milder spices or something sharp but not cloying.
Old 2013-06-24, 11:33   Link #250
idont

Japanese Curry

I went out to dinner with a Japanese friend to a Japanese Curry restaurant the other day. We were talking about curry and he actually thought that the Japanese invented curry in Japan independently. Showed him that the Brits introduced curry to Japan after getting it from the Indians. He was actually shocked. It reminded me of a scene in Yakitate Japan.

Does that shock anyone else? I know Japan is xenophobic but it still strikes me as odd.
idont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 11:48   Link #251
oompa loompa

Search function is your friend. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=21649

When I was in Japan I came across the same thing often, but only with kids . As I come from India, I found it pretty funny. However, what was pretty widespread was the idea that there was a specific curry flavor, instead of curry being a method for preparing a dish. Of course, Japanese curry does generally have a specific flavor, that tastes a lot like the Maggi noodles flavoring (at least the one we get here) to me : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggi_noodles
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 12:59   Link #252
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, people not knowing where their food came from is quite common, ex. French fries from France, or thinking tomatoes grow on trees, or potatoes grow above ground, or fish fillets made from chicken (yes, the last did happen). Thinking curry was invented in Japan independently is actually a rather innocent mistake in comparison, considering that Japan does have its own flavor of curry.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 13:21   Link #253
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
or fish fillets made from chicken (yes, the last did happen).
If they were speaking of McDonalds, I could see why they might think that, assuming they meant "chicken" as in the same thing they call what they put in the nuggets.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 16:28   Link #254
Sumeragi
Banned

Depends on how you define invent. The use of starch with curry powder in itself to create a sauce is a Japanese invention.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:10   Link #255
walkofshane

The pictures in this thread make me hungry!!
Now I am craving for okonomiyaki again...
Have you guys tried this tonkatsu restaurant called "Saboten"? It has branches in Singapore, Canada, the US, etc and serves the best tonkatsu I've ever tried in my entire life. It's perfectly crunchy and not oily. Also, the cabbage and pickle sidings, rice and miso soup were all refillable. Talk about pigging out.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote