AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-28, 19:57   Link #1
acidflower

What's a good not school girl type of romance anime?

Looking for an anime that isn't purely based on some girl's affections for a guy out of her reach. I disliked kimi ga nozomu eien (in terms of the romance that was shown).

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve the setting of a school/girls in uniform/large amounts of fanservice. Kinda looking for the more adult-ish romance, maybe mixed with some adveeeenture/mystery/action/guns (not the dirty kind lol).

I'd appreciate any suggestions thanks.
Old 2007-07-28, 20:08   Link #2
UPR

Gunparade March- If you don't mind mecha
Rahxephon- again mecha
Immortal Grand Prix- mecha

sorry for all the mecha but that the thing i have for more adult-ish romance.
Old 2007-07-28, 20:19   Link #3
lemondude
"super lemon"

immortal grand prix

animenewsnetwork rating

Older Children (May contain mild bad language, bloodless violence)

very mature

anyways, I think this man needs

please teacher, might sound like a school girl one but it's not

all the gudnam series

nana

Ali G
Old 2007-07-28, 21:24   Link #4
lftwgr

Nodame Cantabile - romance that takes place at a music academy (characters are college students) with a perfectionist protaganist who hates the way the lead girl takes liberties with her piano playing but at the same time admires her freedom to interpret pieces on her own terms.

Suzuka - school romance, so it might not fit your tastes, but here the guy is doing the chasing for a girl that, at the start, seems to be outside his reach (she is pining for a dead guy). Like KGNE, people are divided on whether to like or hate this one - the hate-hate phase between the leads ran for too long. Personally I like Suzuka over KGNE.

I'll second Gunparade March too - like UPR says, it's mecha. But the emphasis is on the romance between the leads rather than the fighting. It resembles Suzuka too - the girl is also pining for her dead sempai, although here this does not seem to be much of an obstacle (perhaps because there isn't enough air time for it to be one - it's only 12 eps). The series is set in a 'school' too, so I don't know if you'll like it.

Rec - set in the world of seiyuus. Both leads are starting out their careers (voice acting and marketing respectively) and met after the guy was dumped by the girl he has a crush on. This is really short (9 eps + 1 OVA, all of which are 13 minutes or less) but what's out there is really good.

Hoshi no Koe - or Voices of a Distant Star - I wouldn't consider this a 'school' anime even if the characters are all of school-going age since very little of it takes place in a school environment. The story takes the form of an ongoing email conversation and voiceover monologues between the leads who are separated by time and space. You could say that the guy is literally out of her reach, although their feelings are mutual. It is sci-fi, with some mecha action thrown in for good measure. The visuals are achingly beautiful, and the underlying theme is regret (for what might have been) and longing.
Old 2007-07-28, 23:43   Link #5
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lftwgr View Post
Hoshi no Koe - or Voices of a Distant Star - I wouldn't consider this a 'school' anime even if the characters are all of school-going age since very little of it takes place in a school environment. The story takes the form of an ongoing email conversation and voiceover monologues between the leads who are separated by time and space. You could say that the guy is literally out of her reach, although their feelings are mutual. It is sci-fi, with some mecha action thrown in for good measure. The visuals are achingly beautiful, and the underlying theme is regret (for what might have been) and longing.
Seconded.

And if you liked Hoshi no Koe, then you might want to check out The Place Promised in Our Early Days which was also done by Makoto Shinkai.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal used to be ANN's top-ranking anime but it was recently overtaken by Death Note. My reaction:

Mushishi has hints of romance and it only occurs in 1 episode but many consider it as one of the highlights of the series.

If you don't mind trying out manga titles, you might want to give Ai-Ren a shot.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-07-29, 02:09   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Adult Romance? Here goes:

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora is a very sweet story about a love that takes place in a hospital. You might hate it, but I loved it.

Canvas 2 ~Niji-iro no Sketch~ definitely fits the "mature" part that you want but depending on your taste it might be a little bit too slow for you. The character development and the climax/resolution is totally worth it however.

Mahoromatic while not geared towards romance has some light romance in it but also with the "adventure/guns" that you said wanted to be mixed with it. It is also a tragic comedy, which makes things better.

NHK ni Youkoso! is basically my favorite adult romance/mystery/psychological anime that has a very satisfying ending for me that connects everything.

Elfen Lied wins in the realm of violence, gore, and nudity with an excellent storyline and enchanting drama. Its romance is really sad (in a good way) to me so watch it if you can stand blood!

SaiKano is technically school but it's not. You just have to watch it to find out, but it is pretty depressing.

On that note I would like to second REC, Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Nodame Cantabile.

Also, Toki wo Kakeru Shouji takes place in school but it is very different from most school anime. You should definitely check it out.
Old 2007-07-29, 06:31   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might want to watch Planetes, a science-fiction show about a group of astronauts whose task is cleaning up space trash. There is a romance, but it's only one of a variety of threads in this excellent show.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-07-29 at 14:18.
Old 2007-07-29, 09:52   Link #8
Pendevous
Yoroshiku
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Pendevous
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Director's Cut is by far one of the best anime movies I've seen dude. It features a different feel of Rurouni Kenshin you've never seen before.

Also, try Onegai Twins. It's not school girl themed, and it's good too. ^_^
Old 2007-07-30, 00:08   Link #9
acidflower

Alright, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I've got a lot of downloading to do!

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it!
Old 2007-08-01, 09:19   Link #10
Liingo
Love Hina?

How about Honey and Clover? It's more slice of life than a pure romance but it follows the lives of a number of college students and their relationships with each other.
Old 2007-08-01, 10:09   Link #11
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Looking for a little guy on guy action are we?

better check out loveless or gravitation.

just kidding.

as stated Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Black Cat (low on romance, high on mystery and guns)
Angel heart (adult hard boiled) (i dont watch this though)
Old 2007-08-01, 12:23   Link #12
MamoruUsagi

For mature romance anime/manga with the couple in a relationship

Bokura ga Ita

Kare Kano

Mars

Kare First Love

Wild Act

Marmalade Boy

Fushigi Yuugi

Ayashi no Ceres

Happy Hustle High

The Devil Does Exist

Sailor Moon

Paradise Kiss

High School Debut

Fushigi Yugi

Peach Girl

Absolute Boyfriend

Mars

Doubt!!

Ultra Cute

Punch!

Kare First Love

Missile Happy!

Ultra Maniac

We Were There

Ceres Celestial Legend

Akuma De Sourou

Fushigi Yugi manga is 18 volumes and is much better than the anime, the manga has lots of romantic kisses and sex scenes, and the manga is much longer and the couple is dating for a long time with lots of romantic kissing and sex scenes

Ayashi no Ceres Manga has the couple dating and in a relationship with lots of kissing and sex scenes, manga is much longer than anime version

Sailor Moon

Manga is mature, couple has lots of passionate kissing scenes and is dating and in a relationship for a long time.

Fushigi Yuugi

Manga version, 18 volumes, lots of kissing and sex scenes, longer than the anime

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-26 at 12:37.
Old 2007-08-01, 17:35   Link #13
MagicMango

Fate/Stay Night seems right up your alley.
Closed Thread