AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-04-18, 20:22   Link #1081
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Speaking of which, Kanako joining the harem all of a sudden IS a little too much, but I suppose the author wanted to give her some screentime in the anime.. and the only way to do it is to give her a link to Kyousuke as well?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:02   Link #1082
Mystic_Vegetto

But didn't Kanako show signs in Vol. 9 that she was interested in the "Manager"? To be honest, I've always viewed Kanako to be a more "forceful" type of character. But that's probably because of her PSP Route. So I wasn't really surprised at all that she threw herself into the mix.

Saori on the other hand...I was surprised. I thought she simply viewed Kyousuke as a friend. Maybe someone that actually read the volume can fill us in on that part? Was she simply just playing around when she offered to take care of Kyousuke or did she show any signs/hints that she might have been serious?
Mystic_Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 21:09   Link #1083
Sumeragi
Banned

I think she's just not trying to fall behind the other girls.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 22:00   Link #1084
TkMacintosh

Honestly, I like to think that the DVD episode commentaries have SOME place in canon at one point or another.

I believe that in the ep 3 commentary Side B when both Saori and Manami are hosting, Saori says that she's always loved Kyousuke and that it's the same in reverse.

Though, I could be utterly wrong and just trying to satisfy myself in various ways.
TkMacintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 01:07   Link #1085
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Baka tsuki added the illustrations for Vol 10, though I figured most people have seen them already.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:10   Link #1086
kantou

Good volume Ayase power up is very interessing .She's so close to dislodging Kuroneko as my favorite character right now. Great clash Ayase vs Kuruneko, i really hope that it will eventually falling in love with another person that Kirino .( Kureneko is dead,Ayase would be the best candidate)
kantou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 15:13   Link #1087
VVolf
夜空派

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Vegetto View Post
But didn't Kanako show signs in Vol. 9 that she was interested in the "Manager"? To be honest, I've always viewed Kanako to be a more "forceful" type of character. But that's probably because of her PSP Route. So I wasn't really surprised at all that she threw herself into the mix.

Saori on the other hand...I was surprised. I thought she simply viewed Kyousuke as a friend. Maybe someone that actually read the volume can fill us in on that part? Was she simply just playing around when she offered to take care of Kyousuke or did she show any signs/hints that she might have been serious?
I guess you can say that about Kanako in vol 9 (although I didn't really see her actions that way...). I'm thinking it's overlooked/misinterpreted because,
1) The chapter was mostly focused on Ayase more than anything. ...best rephrase that. It was us readers that were focusing on Ayase more than anything.
2) She has always been a minor character, whose importance was behind even Saori.
3) The notion that her PSP route was a sign of foreshadowing...was not taken seriously (even if Fushimi wrote her route himself).

So...if the games are really of any indication, does that mean we're gonna see Sena join in the race as well? I hope not, because then there's Kaori too...and Kanata...and Rock...and Akagi...and oh God, just kill me now.

Saori never struck any of us as a potential contestant to begin with. And I don't mean her otaku appearance or her peculiar way of speaking.

The other girls always had their moments with Kyousuke, save Saori. In Kyousuke's mind, Saori was a wonderful person and a good friend, but nothing more (the most he's done was comment on her looks - her real face behind the glasses). Take into account of her role in the series - as a mediator, leader, comic relief (in a good way), almost never taking the spotlight, having more of a bro element than being a potential love interest, etc - it's easy to look over her or even, in an extreme sense, forget that she is also a 15 year old teenage girl, just like the rest of the girls.

Although she has pretty much ditched her otaku mode (clothing only) for her ojou mode since vol 9, I simply only see it as her overcoming her past/becoming more confident/showing her real self, never as it being her first step into joining in the competition. And she has never really hinted ever being interested in Kyousuke, or romance in general (although it's possible it's because she never had a chance to...), unless you consider her "My my, Kyousuke-shi, I thought you liked glasses" and other teases as her way of confessing...

As much as I want to believe that her involvement in vol 10 was anything but serious, I don't think that's how it is. Vol 9 has shown a new side of Saori (you can even call it her real personality) that ranges from being similar to something entirely different from her former self. Look at her reaction to Kanako. She was genuinely annoyed and miffed at Kanako's insult, a trait she has almost never shown before, preferring to take any negative remark in stride or simply laughing it off. And she was pretty adamant when she said she'd take care of Kyousuke, and absolutely refused to give it up (although Kanako's word might have something to do with that).

So it's really a matter of how much does this new Saori differ from her old self, of which there is no definite answer yet. We'll just have to wait.

"Then, I'll treat you as more important than a hundred people. Even if there were a hundred...no, a million or a trillion people, even if it means standing against the entire world, I'll still be your friend no matter what." Taka (Kodaka) to Sora (Yozora), "Past", vol 1.
VVolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 18:51   Link #1088
silvercrow108
Tempest of Conviction

theres really more and more girl that were atrracted to kyosuke doesnt this a way bigger than araragi harem already?
and about kyosaka sibling i think manami is the mastermind behind their distant and i think manami still the mastermind behind aayase action in this volume ( she the one who tell ayase all about kyouse being kick out of the house) probally
silvercrow108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 19:37   Link #1089
VVolf
夜空派

Haha, although I think asserting Ayase's actions to Manami's influence is a bit far-fetched, I can see how people came to the conclusion of Manami being a calculated mastermind.

She hasn't done much since her confession in vol 8, right?

One would think so, yes...but this volume showed us something.

Namely, she has made various "alliances" with the girls. Disregarding Ayase who has always been there, she became Kakano's master, sort of cleared up with Kuroneko (vol 5, I think? Kuroneko mentioned her impression of Manami was far from good, mainly because of Kirino's one-sided explanation/vilification), and is about to reconcile with Kirino in the future.

Can I call her farsighted? I can't say, but it's definitely well-played.

"Then, I'll treat you as more important than a hundred people. Even if there were a hundred...no, a million or a trillion people, even if it means standing against the entire world, I'll still be your friend no matter what." Taka (Kodaka) to Sora (Yozora), "Past", vol 1.

Last edited by VVolf; 2012-04-19 at 21:40.
Old 2012-04-20, 09:09   Link #1090
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolf View Post
Haha, although I think asserting Ayase's actions to Manami's influence is a bit far-fetched, I can see how people came to the conclusion of Manami being a calculated mastermind.

Namely, she has made various "alliances" with the girls. Disregarding Ayase who has always been there, she became Kakano's master, sort of cleared up with Kuroneko (vol 5, I think? Kuroneko mentioned her impression of Manami was far from good, mainly because of Kirino's one-sided explanation/vilification), and is about to reconcile with Kirino in the future.

I didn't know Saori joined the harem as well?! This is in vol 10's later chapters?
Old 2012-04-20, 09:22   Link #1091
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Quote:

これだ!!!

... Is what I'd like to say

You have explained it better than I could even imagine (like, 'ah, so that's the reason why I think Manami have higher chances to become the last boss').

About that "alliances", I'd add the relation between she and Kyousuke's mother (Yoshino if I remember well). You know, she (Manami) has some advantages over the other girls
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 13:36   Link #1092
VVolf
夜空派

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
I didn't know Saori joined the harem as well?! This is in vol 10's later chapters?
Yes, in chapter 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
これだ!!!

... Is what I'd like to say

You have explained it better than I could even imagine (like, 'ah, so that's the reason why I think Manami have higher chances to become the last boss').

About that "alliances", I'd add the relation between she and Kyousuke's mother (Yoshino if I remember well). You know, she (Manami) has some advantages over the other girls
だろ?

Ah, I did forget about Yoshino. As for Daisuke...hard to say. He might be against anyone, just like with Kirino...er, son-con?

...actually, that might very well explain why he was okay with the siblings becoming close. If they really are extreme sis/bro-cons as they seemed, then Daisuke wouldn't have to worry about anyone taking them away from him.

...Holy crap...

Old 2012-04-20, 13:51   Link #1093
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Yes, in chapter 3.

Looking forward to it then
Old 2012-04-20, 21:57   Link #1094
Maugomale

Read the summary for chapter 2 again and I just noticed something: since when does Ayase know about Kirino wanting to be the number one girl in Kyousuke's heart?

This is quite interesting. If Ayase knows, then she also knows that if she tries to steal Kyousuke, she'll become Kirino's enemy. Given Ayase's love/obssession with Kirino, I doubt she wants that.
Maugomale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 01:45   Link #1095
Mystic_Vegetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maugomale View Post
Read the summary for chapter 2 again and I just noticed something: since when does Ayase know about Kirino wanting to be the number one girl in Kyousuke's heart?

This is quite interesting. If Ayase knows, then she also knows that if she tries to steal Kyousuke, she'll become Kirino's enemy. Given Ayase's love/obssession with Kirino, I doubt she wants that.
That's a good point. She shouldn't know about that at all. Unless of course Kyousuke told Manami what happened, and then Manami told Ayase. But I think in Volume 9 when Manami told Ayase about their breakup, she didn't mention any of the details about it though.

It's probably a mistranslation or something though.
Mystic_Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:22   Link #1096
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maugomale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Vegetto View Post
That's a good point. She shouldn't know about that at all. Unless of course Kyousuke told Manami what happened, and then Manami told Ayase. But I think in Volume 9 when Manami told Ayase about their breakup, she didn't mention any of the details about it though.

It's probably a mistranslation or something though.
If you are talking about CE's summary of the J->C translations for v10, there is no mistake with regards to that part. As to the details of volumes before, I can't recall and won't checking them (now) so I can't ascertain those.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 11:49   Link #1097
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
I don't think she should because despite her being my second favourite character, I can only she her as a close friend and second little sister figure to Kyousuke rather than a love interest. She hasn't made enough impressions and moves on him (as I can remember), and even if she did it's a little do late to do so, I think she should be kept out of the race. That's just my perspectives based on what I read from vol 1 till now.
Old 2012-04-22, 18:41   Link #1098
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

^Yeah, it's a bit much.
Old 2012-04-23, 22:34   Link #1099
type-R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
I don't think she should because despite her being my second favourite character, I can only she her as a close friend and second little sister figure to Kyousuke rather than a love interest. She hasn't made enough impressions and moves on him (as I can remember), and even if she did it's a little do late to do so, I think she should be kept out of the race. That's just my perspectives based on what I read from vol 1 till now.
I think I'm gonna agree as well. She is also my 2nd favourite character and I really enjoyed her routes in the psp game, especially when you see her sweet side. But to see her join the race for Kyosuke doesn't seem fit for her character at this time.
If she would have been considered a definite candidate beforehand, I think a good starting point to start building her relationship with Kyousuke could have been very early in the novel, maybe just a few months after meeting each other for the first time, or during the time Kirino was abroad. This of course would have changed the other gilrs' current status.
Imagine if she should have gone more ojou-sama like during her visits to Kyousuke after Kirino left, that would have changed history for ever and secured Kyousuke's economic future .
Btw, in the novels, does Kyousuke still feels a little uncomfortable when Saori is in her ojou mode or did he get used to it?
type-R! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 22:52   Link #1100
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-R! View Post
Btw, in the novels, does Kyousuke still feels a little uncomfortable when Saori is in her ojou mode or did he get used to it?
I think it's more like him getting use to it considering that he only saw her in her "ojou" persona once, and the rest of the time she's in "otaku" mode, so to speak. We'll see it again in volume 10 though, but until then, this is what I know for now.

I'm not going to lie, a part of me still wants her in the race, but things a pretty much getting down to the wire to say the least.

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings