AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 10:42   Link #441
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The fact that I can't remember a lot of mega over the top unpretentious super fun super action packed mecha madness aside from TTGL means that I either haven't been watching a lot of mecha recently, or I'm getting too old too fast. Most likely the second?

Still the formula is all there:

Mysterious masked men of might and...magic? (and as per usual, you can already tell who they are even with those costumes)
A likable (if doofusy) male lead with a vague past and a heart of gold.
A secretive group with mechs and unclear motives.
Special key things that activate said mechs.
Maidens with special powers over said mechs.
Super awesome pilot integration and transformation scenes.
Ridiculous one liners.

Yeah it's all there. Aside from the animation so unbelievably godlike (as only BONES can) that my laptop was chugging along all throughout the episode...

The episode didn't wow me as much as everyone else, mainly because through the entire thing I'm always being reminded in the back of my head that "I've seen this all before." It felt a bit... I don't know... like an old school mecha show with a GLORIOUSLY GALACTIC PRETTY BOY GAR coat of paint.

In the end it's still the tried and true formula of the shows I watched a dumb kid like Daimos, Voltes V, Mazinger Z, Voltron, Gatchaman (ok technically this isn't mecha), that show with a guy named Starwind as the lead, and all those super shows they broadcasted at the end of the 1980s locally. The cheesy old-schoolness permeates everywhere if you're old enough to be familiar with all of them.

God I feel older than I should.

But actually that's one of the things that made the episode really fun for me, even if if felt typical and slightly run-of-the-mill. It reminded me of when I rushed home from school everyday to watch Daimos battle it out with whatever monster of the of the episode was, whether the family that piloted Voltes V would ever find their father again, and all that.

It's nostalgia through and through. Will nostalgia keep me watching this? Definitely. Will nostalgia make me love it and blow me away? Probably not.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:42   Link #442
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Finished episode 1 and I had only few words...... Galactic Pretty Boy \:lol:/
AMEn to that hehehehe

ALSO

can anyone make a small edit on a part of the mecha scene where takuto's mech made a pose can anyone edit that and add the

FABULOUS

word hahaha really i would really appreciate it hehehe

also @Meo dude you will not be old enough if you find this series on the "I SOO FREAKINGLY WANT TO WATCH THIS" tab

as for other new watch this series or TTGL they are both epic

that is all
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:48   Link #443
klare

this is one show that no can watch without being serious, the entertaining type

what is the point of wearing thee masks when we can guess clearly their identity from their hairstyles...

and the fight that lasted less than 1 min brings back the memory of ultraman

as for the mysteries and plots, will not think about them and just follow the show
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:54   Link #444
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Couldn't resist

Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:54   Link #445
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
this is one show that no can watch without being serious, the entertaining type

what is the point of wearing thee masks when we can guess clearly their identity from their hairstyles...

and the fight that lasted less than 1 min brings back the memory of ultraman

as for the mysteries and plots, will not think about them and just follow the show
now tahts the attitude of a REAL MAN who is a devout of ANIME hahaha
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 11:06   Link #446
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
The masks both act as keys to operate the mecha, and also gives them some form of magic resistance. Wako actually FROZE TIME with her power, but the mask wearers were able to break out of the freeze.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:09   Link #447
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The masks both act as keys to operate the mecha, and also gives them some form of magic resistance. Wako actually FROZE TIME with her power, but the mask wearers were able to break out of the freeze.
Wako didn't freeze time. Zero Time is activated by the Cybody. It creates the arena for combat. Their intention was to make Wako activate her Miko Cybody, so it can be beaten (like what Head did with Sakana-chan's) and thus removing the seal associated with it. The masks allow them to move inside Zero Time, and Wako's status as a miko allows her to move inside Zero Time as well.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 12:15   Link #448
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
...I am very interested in the dynamic between the main characters. Specifically how Sugata behaved. Normally as the "third wheel" of the main couple, Sugata in this case is actually entirely aware that Wako doesn't love him. And he does not seem to believe the marriage arrangement is good for anybody, even before Takuto showed up.... If they can maintain Sugata as a "noble friend", I would be very impressed. It would be hard, as there is always temptation to throw in the love triangle for free drama. But this show might surprise me....
Good thoughts. It was amazing when Sugata started to tell Takuto that Wako was interested in him. Based on what I can gather from the show and the official site, Sugata and Wako are childhood friends who have been paired up by their parents. I do think that if you have been toddlers and children playing together like siblings, it becomes hard to generate real romance later.

By the way, I really hate the translation "galactic pretty boy." To me, "ginga bishounen" doesn't sound like that at all. I can picture the translator not being able to resist the joke, but there is no joke in the Japanese. The phrase is grand and honorable, like "Galactic Youth," or something. But maybe it just doesn't have a direct translation, and you have to work around it or not translate it. Anything is better than "pretty boy," which is a silly shounen way of referring to a strong shoujo concept.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 12:44   Link #449
Cabrini6000

"Galactic Pretty Boy"

'nuff said.

Or not. Anyway, this show was good, but add the Engrish, the masks, and shiny gloves, the show becomes laughable. In a good way. The best part however is the animation. Thank god BONES did the animation otherwise I'm not sure I'd still be watching this show. Although, if they keep making amazing translation like that one, I'm sure the animation wouldn't matter anymore and I'd just watch for that.

EDIT: Did I forget to mention the awesome disguises and fighting scenes? Yes, I think I did.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Cabrini6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 13:44   Link #450
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

So why was everyone shitting on the OP again? It sounds fine to me.
Old 2010-10-04, 13:58   Link #451
Nerroth
NePoi!

The first ep didn't really feel like much of a first ep; as in, it's almost as if it's expecting the viewer to have seen some sort of introductory scene or episode that wasn't there.

I dunno.

Oh, I wonder if they will go back to try and rescue that other maiden?
Old 2010-10-04, 13:59   Link #452
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, I really hate the translation "galactic pretty boy." To me, "ginga bishounen" doesn't sound like that at all. I can picture the translator not being able to resist the joke, but there is no joke in the Japanese. The phrase is grand and honorable, like "Galactic Youth," or something. But maybe it just doesn't have a direct translation, and you have to work around it or not translate it. Anything is better than "pretty boy," which is a silly shounen way of referring to a strong shoujo concept.
What "joke"? There was an interview where the writer talked about it being a throwback to old titles where the naming scheme was always "[xxx] Boy". It isn't supposed to be "grand and honorable", it's supposed to feel retro.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:32   Link #453
Ahiru77
あひる

Quick somebody!!!!

Make the mahou shounen henshin scene go with "Fly away now" from ''PS with Garterbelt''!!!!

Pretty please. lol
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:41   Link #454
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
What "joke"? There was an interview where the writer talked about it being a throwback to old titles where the naming scheme was always "[xxx] Boy". It isn't supposed to be "grand and honorable", it's supposed to feel retro.
Grand and Honorable in a retro context. Weren't those old shows supposed to feel grand and honorable? The translation is a joke. The retro reference is not, or at least not so blunt a one. If we don't accept the drama on its own terms, it all becomes a silly joke, rather than an enjoyable drama.

EDIT: Actually, I should say that if you prefer to treat it as a joke, feel free. But I won't.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 14:51   Link #455
citrinitas668
aka Good Haro
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Grand and Honorable in a retro context. Weren't those old shows supposed to feel grand and honorable? The translation is a joke. The retro reference is not, or at least not so blunt a one. If we don't accept the drama on its own terms, it all becomes a silly joke, rather than an enjoyable drama.
From the interview in question:

Quote:
—The catchphrase attached to the series, “Dazzling the stage, Galactic Pretty Boy!” is pointing at that too, isn’t it? It’s a kind of embarrassing catchphrase though, isn’t it? (lol).

ENOKIDO “How’s that!” I say. If it’s just normally embarrassing, it’s no good, in my opinion (lol).

ENOKIDO So, I was struck with the phrase “Galactic Pretty Boy,” but, after all, it’s just an homage to “Meteor Boy” and “Space Boy” and it just sounds retro. That’s not it, what I was thinking about at the time was that, in the past phrases like “Meteor Boy” and “Space Boy” made my heart pound for real, and I wanted to share that feeling with people now. That’s when it struck me, I added “pretty” and ended up with “Galactic Pretty Boy.” Even though everyone around me was laughing (lol).
tl;dr Yes, it's supposed to be funny/embarrassing.
citrinitas668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 15:30   Link #456
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Sugata stole the show IMO. He obviously cares for Wako in some way, and puts her happiness above all else... maybe, even if it isn't with him? Dunno, need more clues to see if he really likes her that way.

And yes, I really like those kind of characters, if my handle is of any indication. So yeah, definitely rooting for Sugata/Wako for now.

At the very least though, I actually like how they portray that arranged marriage... neither party is acting like that being in an arranged marriage is the most disgusting thing on earth. Two thumbs up bones!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:04   Link #457
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Galactic Pretty Boy!!? that's the most ridiculous title I've ever heard!
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:10   Link #458
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm now convinced this show is going to be a send-up of all the homo-erotic trends that have been developing in mecha anime for the past 15 or so years. This is going to be awesome.

I mean when you have the voices of now legendary yaoi bait characters Setsuna F. Seiei and Lelouch Vi Britannia as two of the main characters you know what's in store.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:17   Link #459
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
Galactic Pretty Boy!!? that's the most ridiculous title I've ever heard!
Sounds like a gay version of Bishoujo Sailor Moon, doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm now convinced this show is going to be a send-up of all the homo-erotic trends that have been developing in mecha anime for the past 15 or so years. This is going to be awesome.

I mean when you have the voices of now legendary yaoi bait characters Setsuna F. Seiei and Lelouch Vi Britannia as two of the main characters you know what's in store.
Damn you Lulu, because of you all shounen heroes now need to be homos!

And what are my thoughts?
Retarded, full of brainless antiques and random transformations, pseudomystery and tired archetyped bijin characters going in fastforward trying to look cool, terrible action and uninspired themes, maids with cat ears and schoolgirls dressed like clowns, cast made for eroge TM, cardboards I don't give a damn about and lots of other poops I am too bored to rage at now.

Or the short version: Not so good first impressions.

Who bets they will try to explain everything in the end again and make no sense whatsoever?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:30   Link #460
LKK

My, my. I doubt there was one nanosecond that should be taken seriously in all of that. This was all about the FUN.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen