Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-15, 09:24   Link #41
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I know a lot of the dic version of Sailor Moon was cut out and butchered and kiddied up. But the acting, I have to give props to.

So it's either you get your damn anime licensed in north america or not. Give people jobs and help the economy. The companies who license animes are doing a good job, face it. Sure the actors might not be top notch, but they can't afford anything better. sometimes they luck into good actors, and that's even better.

If you people REALLY don't like how the translations are working out, quit bitching and get out there and try to get a job in the industry.
Old 2004-04-15, 09:28   Link #42
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkihaTohno
If you people REALLY don't like how the translations are working out, quit bitching and get out there and try to get a job in the industry.
i would, but my voice sucks
Old 2004-04-15, 10:46   Link #43
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonejellyfish
My vote for worst licensor goes to Pioneer for their butchery of Cardcaptors. When I bought my uncut DVDs of it, there was all this crap that they just added out of thin air! They totally killed the Cardcaptors story.
Uh, Nelvana is the one who licensed Cardcaptors; Pioneer only agreed to release the DVDs.
Old 2004-04-15, 12:52   Link #44
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Uh, Nelvana is the one who licensed Cardcaptors; Pioneer only agreed to release the DVDs.
I know that, you halfwitted... cat-eared... person thing! Pioneer massacred the beauty of Nelvana's Cardcaptors by releasing their lousy uncut DVDs of some spinoff series called "Cardcaptor Sakura"!
Old 2004-04-15, 13:36   Link #45
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonejellyfish
I know that, you halfwitted... cat-eared... person thing! Pioneer massacred the beauty of Nelvana's Cardcaptors by releasing their lousy uncut DVDs of some spinoff series called "Cardcaptor Sakura"!
Nelvana's Cardcaptors was actually a cut and re-edited version of Cardcaptor Sakura. Cardcaptors cut out whole episodes and re-edited the episodes that they did use.

It's embarassing that you don't know this bonejellyfish. Perhaps you should read about it at Jellyfish review of CCS. That boneyjellyfish guy really knows his stuff. You can also read about it at AnimeOnDVD review of CCS. There used to be a site devoted to the subject at CC vs CCS, but it is currently down either temporarily or permanetly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-15, 13:39   Link #46
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Nelvana's Cardcaptors was actually a cut and re-edited version of Cardcaptor Sakura. Cardcaptors cut out whole episodes and re-edited the episodes that they did use.

It's embarassing that you don't know this bonejellyfish. Perhaps you should read about it at Jellyfish review of CCS. That boneyjellyfish guy really knows his stuff. You can also read about it at AnimeOnDVD review of CCS. There used to be a site devoted to the subject at CC vs CCS, but it is currently down either temporarily or permanetly.
Feh! I despise that boneyjellyfish... JAppi-sama is the only one for me!
Old 2004-04-15, 21:06   Link #47
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I hate people who hate dubs and when they get excired when it gets lisenced and listens to the English version and says, "How could they do this to so-and-so?! I hate Blahblahblah!"
Examples of this are Cardcaptors Sakura, Pokemon, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, etc. If you are going to complain that it's dubbed then don't say a few days before it comes out, "I can't wait to hear their translations!"
Old 2004-04-16, 13:03   Link #48
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
...one of the worst I've ever heard was the dub of Ah! My Goddess, Belldandy sounded like a 12 year old crybaby in it
Yes, although I adore the series (with japanace VC of course) the dub for the OAV is horrible. The dub for the movie (with a new english vocal cast) is ok in my eyes though.
Old 2004-04-16, 13:22   Link #49
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Thanks God that our Latin american dubbers are just wonderful (Although the ones from Spain suck)
Old 2004-04-29, 03:13   Link #50
Nooj
Disabled By Request

Worst dubbing job you've seen?

Macross Plus inspired me to created this thread. I just rewatched the 4 Volumes in English and let me tell you one thing: the dubbing is awful. Last time I watched it, it seemed okay.

So, what's the worst dubbing you've ever seen?

I nominate Macross Plus Eng.
Old 2004-04-29, 03:40   Link #51
Fronzel
Schmuck

Lost Universe.

Worst acting I've ever heard (ruining the several emotional scenes) plus awful writing which removed many jokes from the comedic first half and inappropriately inserted some in the dramatic second half, not to mention occasionally "softening" some situations. Ridiculous. Thank goodness for hybrid DVD!

And I like dubs.
Old 2004-04-29, 05:04   Link #52
Innotech

some dubs arent that bad. For example, Galaxy angel had some pretty good dubs, as does Cowboy bebop and Read or Die actually has a better dub than sub and original japanese voice in my opnion. however, some shows, like Last Exile and Inuyasha would have been far better off with just japanese soundtracks. Spirited away actually has a really good dub and mononke has mixed results, but overall for most companies, dubs seem to be sufficient. Im not totally for or against them.
Old 2004-04-29, 05:35   Link #53
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooj
Macross Plus inspired me to created this thread. I just rewatched the 4 Volumes in English and let me tell you one thing: the dubbing is awful. Last time I watched it, it seemed okay.

So, what's the worst dubbing you've ever seen?

I nominate Macross Plus Eng.
Actually, I consider Macross Plus to be one of the few decent dubs. I don't know why, but I can actuallt sit through Macross Plus dubbed. All but a few of the voices hit it perfectly for me (the ones that don't are normal anime-flat...). Isamu's English voice actor I thought fitted the character better in a way than the original Japanese one, I thought anyway. And I usely HATE dubs (allthough I'm not anti dub, if you like dubs fair enough; I still do like a dub if it's good though. From what I heard of the Last Exile dub, that sounded amazing. I don't think I'd mind watching that through dubbed at all).

As for worst dubbing company, I'd have to say ADV. I don't have the opertunity to hear dubs too often (being too poor to afford many DVDs), but the stuff I've heard from them lately is crap(mostly the Noir dub, but I can't remember what else I've heard from them...).

And the worst licening company is a hard one... sure, there's 4Kids, but I won't say I'm a huge fan of Viz or ADV. ADV randomly screws up hugely, or just doesn't perform as well at times (they're kinda random), and Viz still have some annouying practices, like not subbing op/eds and replaceing the original Japanese credits with English ones (allthough ADV and a alot of other companies do this, but some either don't or provide an alternate angle, which is the best option really).
Old 2004-04-29, 11:43   Link #54
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
And the worst licening company is a hard one... sure, there's 4Kids, but I won't say I'm a huge fan of Viz or ADV. ADV randomly screws up hugely, or just doesn't perform as well at times (they're kinda random), and Viz still have some annouying practices, like not subbing op/eds and replaceing the original Japanese credits with English ones (allthough ADV and a alot of other companies do this, but some either don't or provide an alternate angle, which is the best option really).
The companies that make English credited OP/ED generally include the original Japanese OP/ED and/or the creditless ones as extras on DVDs. (Some of the older ones do not unfortunately) Sometimes the English credits work well (Haibane Renmei) and sometimes they look really annoying (Chobits)
Old 2004-04-29, 12:00   Link #55
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

It doesn't matter, too few series are put out with the original Japanese credits on the episode as an option

The original opening as an extra means nothing to me. Viz and ADV are especially stedfast in these practice...
Especially since Multiple Angel technology enables both op/eds to coexist on a DVD flawlessly.
Old 2004-04-29, 12:51   Link #56
BanditKing

Quote:
It doesn't matter, too few series are put out with the original Japanese credits on the episode as an option

The original opening as an extra means nothing to me. Viz and ADV are especially stedfast in these practice...
Especially since Multiple Angel technology enables both op/eds to coexist on a DVD flawlessly.
don't Geneon and MB do that too?I also heard CPM has beening doing that and they are bad at it too.So Viz and ADV are not the only one.

Come to think of it the only two company that does have original japanese is bandai and Funi angel change on their OP and ED.
Old 2004-04-29, 13:02   Link #57
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

I thought Geneon and MB did Alternate Angels randomly?

And yeah, cheers to Bandai and Funi heh.
Old 2004-04-29, 13:10   Link #58
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Alternate Angels

Is this backup for the regular Angels if they should turn into demons?

I think you mean Alternate Angles :P
Old 2004-04-29, 13:30   Link #59
BanditKing

Quote:
I thought Geneon and MB did Alternate Angels randomly?

And yeah, cheers to Bandai and Funi heh.
I havn't seen any dvd from MB that have original japanese but that might because
I only collecting like 1 series from them right now.

I seen alot with Geneon and I heard alot of Fans of AoD kept complain that all Geneon,ADV,Viz and MB for not doing.(edit:I meant I seen alot of japanese credit being replaced with english credit)

The funny thing is that they want biggest company (this case ADV) to change it first so it show the other company to change it too but it not working.

not enough people care for it.sad but true

Last edited by BanditKing; 2004-04-29 at 14:20. Reason: correction
Old 2004-04-29, 14:03   Link #60
Suikun

The worst dubbing studio has to be whatever studio did the English dub of Pilot Candidate (Candidate for Godess)... my goodness, everything from the writing to the acting to the casting in that was just... yuck!

As for the worst U.S. Licensers, this easily goes to 4Kids with Nelvana close behind. The only reason Nelvana has a shred more dignity than 4Kids is because the did allow Cardcaptor Sakura to be released subtitled on DVD. They may never allow Buketen Shoot Beyblade or Medarots to be released this way, but at least they allowed CCS to be. You certainly can't say that for 4Kids (although it is said that at Sakuracon's FUNimation panel, they said something about releasing two versions of one of 4Kids' properties... which gives one hope...).

A lot of people dislike DiC as a licensor, but I think of all the more "kid-oritented" distributors they're easily the best. Not only did they (eventually) allow ADV to release Sailor Moon subtitled, they allowed ADV to not only release a subtitled version of Saint Seiya but also a more fan-friendly English dub in addition to DiC's own "Knights of the Zodiac" English dub. You can't ask for more than that.
Closed Thread