Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-13, 20:01   Link #1
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

worst dubbers and worst U.S licensers?

who u guys think are the worst dubbers and the worst US licensers?

the worst dub i heard was:
tokyo pop (initial d) aaww god that was horrible..

funimation screwes up some of the animes they licensed...
Old 2004-04-13, 20:37   Link #2
emessen

worst dubbers?

EVERY SINGLE ONE....

worst liscencer? that i dont get... how could u be a bad liscencer?
Old 2004-04-13, 20:46   Link #3
7thMethuselah

I personally HATE all dubs so I try to stay as far away from them as possible but one of the worst I've ever heard was the dub of Ah! My Goddess, Belldandy sounded like a 12 year old crybaby in it

Worst license company : dunno but companies that butcher up a series should be hunted down and shot on sight imo

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-04-13 at 20:47. Reason: sigh damn typo's
Old 2004-04-13, 20:51   Link #4
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by emessen
worst dubbers?

EVERY SINGLE ONE....
So true.

I'm so glad I'm not a dub fan.
Old 2004-04-13, 20:52   Link #5
BanditKing

First I think you should say worst dub studio since R1 company don't dub the anime itself except for a few company.

Second the wrost U.S. licensers

No doubt it 4kids

-no japanese track
-edits
-change music
-don't give shit about anime fans
-making press release insulting that anime fan are nothing but adult shit
-changing Tokyo Mew Mew into Hollywood mew mew....unforgivenable

Guess if I have a bomb to destroy a company, who would I choose?

Last edited by BanditKing; 2004-04-13 at 21:01. Reason: add one more thing
Old 2004-04-13, 20:56   Link #6
Kaoru27Umi
Jounin

Send a message via AIM to Kaoru27Umi
I totally hate dubbed too, who would
you gotta go with the original man...

anyway, i think some pretty bad dubbed shows were Rurouni Kenshin, (they said Kenshin's name wrong! ), and basically any other show that screws up the names of the characters

makes me mad!

~~~>Kaoru
Old 2004-04-13, 21:06   Link #7
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

4kids and Nelvana are the only bad licensors. You never would want your show to go to them.

All dubs are so-so, there is no difference among licensors that I can tell.
Old 2004-04-13, 21:14   Link #8
GipFace

Nelvana sucks.

IMHO, Nelvana is worse dubber than 4Kids because Nelvana changed all the characters' names into traditional white-boy American ones. Mr. Dickinson? Oi ...

It's far easier to watch through an episode of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh than it is to watch through Beyblade and Cardcaptors.

As for licensers, I'm going to pick something different and say Fox. Why? Fox advertises their shows to the extreme, as if they're the next best thing. Oh well.
Old 2004-04-13, 21:21   Link #9
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)ark-I)eath
who u guys think are the worst dubbers and the worst US licensers?

the worst dub i heard was:
tokyo pop (initial d) aaww god that was horrible..

funimation screwes up some of the animes they licensed...
Cmon dubs are not so bad. You guys just got accustomed with the original. Jesus dont you guys every think about that? When I first watched Initial D(Dubbed DVD) it wasnt so bad. Not bad at all.(and to the fact i was watching nothing but fansubs for almost a year.) Same with Jubei chan. I watched it in English it was great! watched it in Japanese it was hard to get used to.

But i agree with you on something funimation suck. 4kids ultmately sucks. Nelvana sucks too. All very famous with butchered anime!

Quote:
IMHO, Nelvana is worse dubber than 4Kids because Nelvana changed all the characters' names into traditional white-boy American ones. Mr. Dickinson? Oi ...

It's far easier to watch through an episode of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh than it is to watch through Beyblade and Cardcaptors.

As for licensers, I'm going to pick something different and say Fox. Why? Fox advertises their shows to the extreme, as if they're the next best thing. Oh well.
With the name change well I guess you assume that all Americans watching anime would know how to pronounce the Japanese very very well. Uchiha Itachi. I want you to ask every white person you find and expect them to pronounce it right.

You know sasuke. Its pronounced Sas-Kei in Naruto. Well my friend pronounces it Sa suu ki. I was like WTF. Its just like that. Dont expect us americans to know everything.

Last edited by MasafumiGotoh; 2004-04-13 at 21:28. Reason: mistakes and Stuff people posted before me
Old 2004-04-13, 21:57   Link #10
emessen

dubs have bad voice acting... that's my number one problem with them

mis pronounced or altared names not so much... they are just trying to
sell it to their audience... they are "bastardizing" it so americans can relate...
like how tokyo mew mew is gonna be hollywood mew mew... i understand that
it sucks balls in my opinion.. but it's tolerable...

but until dubs get better voice actors who actually get into the role sound sincere
sound evil, sound dorky... scream a real scream instead of just an "AH" laff a
believable laff and convey their perverted monkness....

subs will be infinitely better in my book
Old 2004-04-13, 22:31   Link #11
MasafumiGotoh

I feel as angry, sad and confused as you emessen. But there is nothing we can do. Tokyo Mew Mew cannot be saved...................... I was outraged when they made Onegai Teacher! to Please Teacher! But yet I bought the DVDs.

WOW i never realized how anal i was lol. It was only a name change. Everything remained the same.

But Hollywood Mew Mew is being altered. But i cant do anything.
Old 2004-04-13, 22:36   Link #12
Spooky-Electric

Please Teacher sounds bad, but Please Twins sounds even worse.

I guess they think Americans are afraid of Japanese words..

I can understand translating something like this: Kono Minikuku Mo Utsukushii Sekai, but Onegai? Come on!
Old 2004-04-13, 23:45   Link #13
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

changing Onegai to Please made sense to me (the project for Twins and Teacher is even CALLED "Please!"!)
IMO, they need to train their voice actors in some pronunciation
if the little girl who voiced chihiro in Spirited Away (one of THE best dubs i've EVER seen...er...heard) can pronounce words like "Chihiro" and "Haku" correctly, then i think the people who do these dubs as a profession should at least learn the correct way to pronounce their character's NAMES. particularly any name ending with -suke
the voice actors that do Geneon shows seem the best trained out of all the companies, ADV and bandai have some of the worst (Jubei-chan: Koy-no-SOO-kay)

mostly, i think it's pretty clear that none of the voice actors actually research (i.e. WATCH THE FREAKIN' SHOW) their roles, and i think language coaches are non existant (oh...wait...whenever they have a french, italian, or other european language dialogue...there's always a language coach in the credits >_< i.e. GTO)

but in terms of bad dubber/licensor, 4kids takes the cake
as mentioned, "Hollywood Mew Mew" is an atrocisty, and changing "ages 10 and up" shows to "TV Y-7" in terms of content is ludicrous (though, i DO agree with them not showing that Pocket Monsters episode that gave a buncha japanese people seizures....) i mean, the changes they make are just so out there...and they never release an unedited version even though it only makes sense...even FUNimation is releasing some unedited Dragonball material as well as series like Kiddy Grade and Fruits Basket O_o
Old 2004-04-14, 00:57   Link #14
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Not all dubs are bad and there are decent and even good voice actors in North America, just not very many.

I personally like Brad Swaile. Not the greatest perhaps, but I think he has got a good voice, I really liked him as Amuro Ray.

Also, from all of my ADV anime the only crappy dub was Nadesico. Full Metal Panic! has one or two excellent voices as well, like Kurz'. As for the rest...
Old 2004-04-14, 00:59   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Worst dubber: DiC for so many reason that I shouldn't have to explain. As if what they did to Sailor Moon wasn't bad enough they just had to bring us Knights of the Zodiac.

Worst licenser: ADV for licensing and re-releasing the Carl Macek hack-job known as Once Upon a Time.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-14, 07:40   Link #16
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
This thread is practically all bash.

I'm consider myself a "dubfectionist" which means I'll watch dub anime all the way through ONLY IF the dubbing is decent enough. If that's not the case, then I'll watch it subbed. Throughout my time of watching anime on DVDs and on TV (like TechTV and such), I found the worst dub studio has to be Blue Water Studios. They're a part of the Ocean Group, but they're only second-rated. They dubbed series like G Gundam, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Betterman, and Ayashi no Ceres just to name a few. The way they dubbed is SO old school and absolutely bland. They're able to technically dub the voice well, but their execution for the characters is very cliche; I don't know if they're able to put enough emotion into their work.

If you guys want to hear GOOD dub, watch anime done by Coastal Carolina Studios; these guys made Ah! My Goddess and Your Under Arrest more fun.
Old 2004-04-14, 07:54   Link #17
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I like the dubs. It gives you more ability to have complete attention on the pretty pictures.

But there's a lot of dub people out there who have really bad actors.

ROD OAV -
Nancy - Good work
Yomiko - EVIL

Pokemon -
Misty - I thought she was a GREAT actress, even if it is just pokemon.
Ash - For the love of God, get out.

Sailor Moon (with DIC)-
All GREAT, I loved the woman who did Emerald and crap.

Sailor Moon (without DIC)-
They did have some nice talent, and finding a clone of Sailor Moon's already english voice was pretty good... but their Amy was poopy. and I mean POOPY.

I did use some main stream examples, but this way everyone is bound to know what I'm talking about at least. But Beyblade, I can't even sit through that show (or it's japanese version), but the kids in Beyblade are total CRAP. AHHHH!!! *runs away with arms in the air*
Old 2004-04-14, 08:24   Link #18
wao
OK.

I wouldn't know much about this, but of the few dubs I have watched... and even based on people I trust when I ask for their most unbiased view, dubs are generally pretty badly done :s I guess I'm used to Asian voices and more used to hearing Japanese than American English, and I'm so accustomed to watching subtitles it doesn't really bother me. When you watch enough anime you pick up some Japanese words, then you don't need to concentrate on the subtitles so much.

4Kids, Nelvana and DiC can all go to hell.

And whoever did the Fushigi Yuugi/Kenshin dubs... please.... die...

I don't know why they decide to show Fushigi Yuugi of all things on the bus TV (TVMobile)... It's so unbearable, the mixing is all wrong too - when the characters are speaking it's so loud but the bg music is hardly hearable, and the sound effects sound very different. And the voices are really annoying. Some of them are really so untalented and aren't even making an effort to improve... and the way they say "Suzaku"... and their voices... and I can't help hearing it because it plays while I'm coming home from school... cannot...tolerate...must...break..glass...
And I guess they can't show the sub because the people at the back can't see the subtitles too clearly...
But why can't they show a nicer show, I never liked Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres in the first place o_o;

(sorry for offtopic rambling)
Old 2004-04-14, 08:58   Link #19
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
This thread is practically all bash.

I'm consider myself a "dubfectionist" which means I'll watch dub anime all the way through ONLY IF the dubbing is decent enough. If that's not the case, then I'll watch it subbed. Throughout my time of watching anime on DVDs and on TV (like TechTV and such), I found the worst dub studio has to be Blue Water Studios. They're a part of the Ocean Group, but they're only second-rated. They dubbed series like G Gundam, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Betterman, and Ayashi no Ceres just to name a few. The way they dubbed is SO old school and absolutely bland. They're able to technically dub the voice well, but their execution for the characters is very cliche; I don't know if they're able to put enough emotion into their work.

If you guys want to hear GOOD dub, watch anime done by Coastal Carolina Studios; these guys made Ah! My Goddess and Your Under Arrest more fun.
I couldn't agree more. This thread is an off-shoot of the dub vs. sub thread from ages ago. I'm pro DUB, but only if the DUB is good, and even if it is good, I'll still watch it in the original Japanese. I think it's safe to say that most of the negative repliers on this thread haven't watched a recently made DUB, and if they did, maybe there opinion would have changed slightly. If you just don't like DUBS, then that's totally cool, but to say that ALL dubs are bad is just pushing it. There are very good DUBS out there, some even better than the original Japanese. You just have to look for them. Want good DUBS? Look for titles from ADV that were dubbed by there studio Industrial Smoke & Mirrors. Personally, that's my favourite group when it comes to DUBS. They have great voice actors and most of them actually like anime. The Ocean Group (The one based in Vancouver, Canada) is also good most of the time as well. Some of the titles from Geneon/Pioneer have good DUBS as well (like Mahoromatic & Vandread), but I don't know the studio that did the DUBS for it. Anyways, when your watching anime on DVD, just give the DUB a chance. They shouldn't be over-looked these days, as most American distributors are making it there business to make their dubs comparible to the original Japanese.

Bad distributors when it comes to DUBS are almost everything that is made for TV. While altering the anime is a different subject, in most cases the voice acting is horrible which equals one big piece of shit. The only anime that I've seen on TV and liked whole-heartedly was Gundam Wing. And even on YTV (the Canadian eqivalent of Cartoon Network), everything was kept intact, with a few minor changes to the diologue, mostly cursing. To top it all of, for the most part, it had great voice acting. Personally I think that anime paved the way for all distributors to start making there DUBS tolerable. DBZ had a good DUB as well, but only in terms of voice acting, everything else just sucked. Sailor Moon's DUB was good as well for about the first 100 episodes when it first came out in 1995. Then when they changed the actors, it was just unbarable. By then the VA that played Sailor Moon sounded like she had a cold!! To top it all off, they pretty much butchered the original story and made it totally different. But that's all in the past. For the most part, when it comes to DVD only distribution, licensors actually try to make their DUBS good. Some just pull it off better than others.

Last edited by Silver_Scorcher; 2004-04-14 at 09:17.
Old 2004-04-14, 09:59   Link #20
Paiser

Only Opinion I have is.

Licencers should licened Anime after the series over.

No other comments because COMON >.<
Closed Thread