AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-02-03, 17:56   Link #101
antigone

GAINAX needs to go back to making classics akin to Wings of Honneamise and Nadia, and not pile like this, panty and stocking and hanamaru.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 22:33   Link #102
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Nicely animated and...that's all. The most interesting thing to me was trying to figure out why Subaru (the car company) invested in this. I expected their cars to be integrated into the anime, like mecha musume or something.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 23:23   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Nicely animated and...that's all. The most interesting thing to me was trying to figure out why Subaru (the car company) invested in this. I expected their cars to be integrated into the anime, like mecha musume or something.
"subaru" is the japanese name of the star cluster Pleiades. Long ago, a car company decided to name itself after the star cluster and use a logo of an artsy version of the star cluster. There's no further connection to this series that I'm aware of other than the "hey, isn't this cute we're using the same source for a name as that car company" bit. I haven't been able to find any official connection other than Gainax having a good time with a local motif.
Old 2011-02-04, 23:59   Link #104
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"subaru" is the japanese name of the star cluster Pleiades. Long ago, a car company decided to name itself after the star cluster and use a logo of an artsy version of the star cluster. There's no further connection to this series that I'm aware of other than the "hey, isn't this cute we're using the same source for a name as that car company" bit. I haven't been able to find any official connection other than Gainax having a good time with a local motif.
Yeah, I knew about the Pleiades/Subaru connection. I used to have a Subaru Loyale wagon many moons ago. I just don't see why Subaru would have invested in this since I don't see how it functions as advertising for their cars. I at least expected their cars to make a cameo in some way.

Maybe someone at Subaru is a magical girl otaku. This kind of feels like a throwback to the 80s bubble economy when you saw all kinds of weird companies funding OVAs.
Old 2011-02-05, 02:06   Link #105
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Yeah, I knew about the Pleiades/Subaru connection. I used to have a Subaru Loyale wagon many moons ago. I just don't see why Subaru would have invested in this since I don't see how it functions as advertising for their cars. I at least expected their cars to make a cameo in some way.

Maybe someone at Subaru is a magical girl otaku. This kind of feels like a throwback to the 80s bubble economy when you saw all kinds of weird companies funding OVAs.
Didn't notice this until someone pointed it out, but the ends of their staves look sorta like front bumper + headlights. It's more obvious in the character design sheets during the credits.
Old 2011-02-07, 13:26   Link #106
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This was cute.
Old 2011-02-07, 14:06   Link #107
Itlandm
Porcupine

According to this article, UFOs from the Pleiades are already here and are defending Japan as allies of Ryuho Okawa.

(Some of you may remember Ryuho Okawa as the man behind the anime "The Laws of Eternity", where he among other things praises Japanese industry leaders of the recent past as "angels wearing a business suit".)
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 15:12   Link #108
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
This was cute.
I thought it was kinda ... strange. Not bad, mind you - just ... strange.

I was also wondering why Subaru invested in it, to be honest.

Ah well.
Old 2011-02-07, 15:58   Link #109
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
I was also wondering why Subaru invested in it, to be honest.
My best guess: good publicity (stunt), some kind of anniversary thing, charity stunt, news stunt. As for strange… I think it's stranger there are a lot of popular shows that have the same amount of plot in them (if not less). Also, apparently they broadcast it in Shibuya, Tokyo. Ain't that neat!
Old 2011-02-07, 16:27   Link #110
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@TurkeyPotPie

The Pleiades

As for the ends of the steves, it's as Raiga explained. And unless I'm mistaken those little flappy things on the side are the headlights.

Old 2011-02-07, 22:37   Link #111
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Although the series wasn't necessarily bad, it wasn't that great either. It had nice and eye-pleasing animation, contrary to the wacky unorthodox style GAINAX that people are usually used to. However, that was about it.

The story was typical, the pacing was off and the characters weren't very deep. Compared to the concurrently airing Madoka Magica, it pales in comparison. I will though give it some leeway in that it was only a short 4ep OVA series, so given the constraint, it was reasonably well done.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-02-07 at 23:00.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 03:48   Link #112
Lumine
Band Army Member

Imo the very first minute of the first episode was so cute/awesome/heartwarming

Soundtrack was good

also: WATASHI NO COMPASSU!
Old 2011-02-08, 04:34   Link #113
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
@TurkeyPotPie

The Pleiades

As for the ends of the steves, it's as Raiga explained. And unless I'm mistaken those little flappy things on the side are the headlights.
Before anyone else brings up the Subaru logo and Pleiades -- just to reiterate I knew about that before watching this show.

The girls' staves matching the grills/headlights of Subaru's cars was pretty interesting though. Very subtle.

I rewatched it again while looking for more car cameos. It's just too abbreviated to feel much connection to the characters. I wonder if this will get expanded? I wouldn't mind seeing a one cour TV come out of it.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:43   Link #114
MartianMage

I didn't notice this when I was watching it for the first time but someone from sea slugs blog pointed this one out:

lol seriously Gainax.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 10:47   Link #115
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
I didn't notice this when I was watching it for the first time but someone from sea slugs blog pointed this one out:

lol seriously Gainax.
I'm not getting it. I though that was pretty well done.
Old 2011-02-09, 10:49   Link #116
MartianMage

Quote:
I'm not getting it. I though that was pretty well done.
This anime is sponsored by Subaru the car manufacturer. The main character's name is Subaru. Now read what she just said.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 10:58   Link #117
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
This anime is sponsored by Subaru the car manufacturer. The main character's name is Subaru. Now read what she just said.
OH… LOL. I so didn't catch that.
Old 2011-02-12, 21:26   Link #118
OkamiNoKaze

I wouldn't mind a full version of this series, I liked the one with the Napoleon hat, also like that she stands on her broom/staff
Old 2011-03-17, 13:46   Link #119
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
People will buy a Subaru now (Tourer coming out in 2013).
Old 2011-03-18, 21:18   Link #120
brocko

A little old and definitely NSFW (as expected of SanCom), but who would've thought Houkago no Pleiades was going to pull in some car sales?
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...buying-subaru/

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote