5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.60%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-07, 14:58   Link #21
DorkingtonPugsly

I'm just glad to see the gang back again. It's been a long wait but it looks like it's gonna be worth it. Shaft just keeps on enriching their animation with every new work, it's great. They better keep this up though!
Old 2012-01-07, 15:18   Link #22
Xical
Phantom User

This opening really got me unlike staple stable, and is a great surprise the quality of CR subs, never expected something this good from them, btw, no one think our little Nadeko sound at phone a lot like Manami from oreimo ?
Xical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:19   Link #23
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

After 2 years, it's finally back. I don't really have much to say other than I enjoyed it immensely.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:44   Link #24
Shikijin

Boy, it feels like they went fast with this episode. We've done 3 chapters already. In the trailer they showed parts from the first introductory chapter, but they are not in the first episode. Possibly they will add it in the BD edition.

The OP really feels connected musically the the old Hitagi's OP, although it surprised me that there was one to begin with. I was expecting a catchy Karen OP. If they continue doing an OP for each girl, this show will end up with more OP than One Piece (J/K, that's impossible )

Even the art looks good. I like how they gave Araragi a post-modern house

When I first watched Bakemonogatari I didn't even know it came from a light novel series, now that I watch Nise having read the book it's amazing to see the work of Shaft in condensing a novel into a 20 something minutes episode. Feels a bit like it has been cut down to the bone, but it should work.

I will add just a couple of things. 1) in Shuraragi, "shura" means "fighting, scene of carnage" (I mention it because the joke was left unxeplained). 2) What was translated here with "supernatural" is the usual "kaii", the supernatural entities the stories are about. Each translator has its own rendition of the term, so it's better to know they are talking about the same thing.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 16:02   Link #25
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
-Adding honorifics
-Uses onii-chan
-Biting tongue instead of stuttering

Damn it....I have to give my seal of approval to the Crunchyroll guys.

Honestly I was expecting the worst, but luckily it seems they actually did put their best guys on here. They didn't dodge the references either. (BTW, the librarian line is a reference to R.O.D)
It is indeed a step to the right (for me) direction... now they only need to translate signs, walls-of-text, and lyrics to achieve the average fan-sub group standards... technical details (like ditching homebrew flash, editing, region-locks, capacity, etc.) are just beyond them.

Now to the episode, I hated the third part (Mayoi, who apparently is no more), because I did not want to wait one more week for Nadeko's compromised zettai ryouiki, which did not help to pay attention to the dense dialogue... oh well, next week after I get my fix

Otherwise, Hitagi turned completely Yuno@MiraiNikki on Koyomi, and Tsukihi was very different from what I expected. Horie Yui and Hanazawa Kana got only a couple of sentences and even those were through a phone
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 16:16   Link #26
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Awesome episode... is what I would've said, if not for that super misleading part on Araragi going to Sengoku's house. When I thought I was going to be enjoying a full episode of Nadeko goodness, I get something entirely different. I mean, the conversation between Araragi and Hachikuji was great, but don't get my hopes up like that and shut me down . So yea, in my rage I rated the episode 6/10, when I'd normally have given it a 9/10. Which I kinda regret doing now, since I did enjoy the episode. And most of all, very happy to be able to watch more of monogatari.

And lol at Araragi's evil face when he first sees Kachikuji. Definitely the face of a pedophile. And lol at Senjougahara's sadism.
Old 2012-01-07, 16:25   Link #27
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaKarma View Post
I'm just glad to see the gang back again.
Same here. Been wanting to see all the characters back for quite a while now.

On the whole, the "shaftness" in the episode blended pretty well, IMHO, and it didn't felt out of place as I felt it did on the first episode of Bake.
Old 2012-01-07, 16:34   Link #28
Xenosnake
Badass

Great episode. Araragi's pervertedness is yet again on a godly level. And I have to say, the last scene made me daww.
Xenosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 16:35   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
And lol at Senjougahara's sadism.
Senjougahara comes under the Heading of "The Girlfriend form Heaven and Hell"
Old 2012-01-07, 16:36   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

NADEKO! I'VE MISSED YOU!! Why isn't it next week already?! God, I had a heart attack when she answered the phone in that adorably flustered voice. I need to make this my new ringtone or something, even if it could be dangerous for my health... I have the courage to listen to this everyday! Why isn't it next week already?!

Phew. Give me a minute to calm down.

While Nadeko's very short screentime was the highlight of the episode for me, I greatly enjoyed everything else, from Hitagi's yandere antics to Loliconragi and Mayoi's epic battle. The dialogues were as witty and funny as ever, and the girls as entertaining and lovely. I have to admit Hitagi creeped me out a bit at first though, but her confession, while twisted, also struck me as incredibly sweet. When a girl is willing to change your diapers, you know she loves you. Problem is... she's the one who created a situation where Araragi needs a diaper.

Tsukihi was quite different from what I expected. She struck me as a nice and obedient little sister in the first season but she's actually quite cheeky. I didn't think she was aware of Nadeko's feelings for her brother either... then again, it's not exactly hard to notice. Araragi is probably the only who has no clue.

An excellent first episode all around for me. I'm pleased each girl will presumably get their own OP once again.
Old 2012-01-07, 17:16   Link #31
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

I..it's too much to take for me !! Too epic, badass, great

I'm already pretty sure, it will be my anime of the year

20/10.

Overdrive perfect score.

Old 2012-01-07, 17:22   Link #32
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I was surprised to see how good a job CR did with the translation/subs.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the CR subs myself after being very apprehensive of what might come out of them. I was so pleasantly surprised that I will pay for at least 3 months of the sub after the free trial to support such a good job.

As for the episode it was better than I was expecting and like others my only gripe was the lack of an ED but I'm guessing it's just Shaft being Shaft. I wonder if they'll actually be dancing in the ED?
Old 2012-01-07, 17:30   Link #33
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Somehow, the episode seems a lot better than Bakemonogatari was for me. Maybe it's worth following after all.

Also, I loved the OP.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 17:39   Link #34
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ Quality is on par and maybe better than the DVD-release of Bakemonogatari
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:29   Link #35
Soraya21

Man, watching this again made me realize how much I missed this series, its colorful characters and the heavy-as-molasses, back-and-forth dialogue between each of them. Great first episode with nothing feeling like excessive fillers and a nice way to kick-off the season.
Soraya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:38   Link #36
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

It's ARARAGI PERVERTISM EXPRESS.
Old 2012-01-07, 18:39   Link #37
Mushironi

Pretty good episode. I kinda hoped to see more interactions with Karen though, since it is her arc i think. Though I'm pleasantly surprised at the movements of the animation. A good step up from the Bakemonogatari series. Makes me hope that it continues throughout the series. And I'm also glad that the cards are put in a minimal use. Hopefully that continues as well. All and all a very good first episode.

9/10
Mushironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:43   Link #38
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Anyway, if I add my real impression, it was a bit awkward than I thought. Sakuga was all over the place.

Look at this. There are just so many people involved in this episode's sakuga. That's something that made character's look to be unbalanced and keep changing.

Definitely, they did not have much time. Usual Shaft again.
Old 2012-01-07, 19:35   Link #39
sa547
*Author

Excellent first episode. Had to keep myself from laughing out loud at this very quiet household: Mayoi seems to act more like a cat when provoked, with biting and pole-climbing, definitely a pun on Emirin's family name.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-01-07 at 20:28.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 20:11   Link #40
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Ah, best day ever. And what a giant tease, making us wait for the boss fight.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote