Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-29, 19:45   Link #1
seiyuro_hiko

Lightbulb Any recommendation ?

( first post )

Hi everybody !!

could somebody let me know some titles ( whether they're tv-series or movies ) worth to watch that are like ....?

- Serial Experiments Lain
- Boogiepop phantom
- Texhnolyze
- Haibane Renmei
- Gilgamesh
- Kino no tabi
- Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari a.ka. 1000 Histories
- Noir
- Tenshi no tamago ( movie )
- Ginga Tetsudo No Yoru ( movie )
- Nekojiro Sou ( movie )
- ... most studio Ghibli Movies

I also know or 've seen : Gunslinger Girl, Monster, Ghost in the shell, Paranoia Agent, Shingetsutan Tsukihime ..... and loved 'em all ....

but i was looking for something similar to the first titles listed..... not sure exactly how they could be classified ....

any suggestion ?

a million thanks in advance for your time !!

One!

I already heard of / or will check for:
Old 2004-09-29, 20:50   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I understand. You like weird thinking anime. I like all those titles myself.

The Melody of Oblivion is an anime that manages to miss a lot of its audience by mixing a lot of fanservice into a metaphorical exploration of society and the roles that are expected of us.

Kikou Sennyo Rouran is a mix of magical girl and mecha which exceeds and evades both categories. I'd like to tell you what it is about, but it is really complicated and if I start to tell you what it is about then I'd ruin it for you. I'll just say that everytime you figure out what is going on you'll discover another layer beneath that.

You should also try NeiA_7. It's licensed so buy the DVDs. This is a slice-of-alien-life anime about being so poor it hurts. I'd like to be able to tell you what is so great about it, but the answer defies my comprehension.

I wish I could recommend Otogizoshi, but it is licensed and the DVDs aren't out yet. Once the DVDs are released you'll have to buy this because it is absolutely stunning.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-09-29, 22:48   Link #3
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Wierd thinking anime...that pretty much classifies it to..well everything... try
ghost in a shell stand alone complex(if your reference was refering to the movie)
hellsing
Vampire Princess Miyu
Phantom Quest Corporation
Witch Hunter Robin
Curse Of The Undead: Youma
Devil Hunter Yohko
Guyver...maybe not in that catagory but if you ever start with the mecs.
Old 2004-09-30, 06:23   Link #4
seiyuro_hiko

NoSanninWa :

Thanks for all your recommendations !!!

I knew melody of oblivion , In fact i downloaded the first 8 episodes ...
although i never watch any serie unless i got it complete..... even wasn't sure about how it could be..... but your comments increases my interest THANKS!!

Kikou Sennyo Rouran ....
I fear everything mech-related .... that's why i avoided certain series like Last Exile or Raxephon .... even Evangelion... i heard many good critics but..... mech action isn't exactly my cup of tea .... but your description make me think about give it a chance.... thanks again !!

NeiA_7 :
I found this title when searching for more anime from the creators of Lain ( my 1st "weird thinking" anime ) .... but i thought it was more like a comedy ....
so think i'll buy it, specially since it's already licensed around here ( Spain ) and it's not too expensive either ....

Otogizoushi :
i also was downloading it ( 9 episodes for now ) ... but due to the aforementioned reasons i gave before, didn't saw a single episode yet.... just saw some screens and looked great !!! plus i love near-everything samurai related....
Well, in case it doesn't arrive here, probably i'll buy the U.S. Dvd .... let's hope it's region-free..... there's solution for that anyways....
just curious:
when an anime show it's licensed..... how much time they took to release it on DVD ? ( aproximately, of course ) ..... here ( in Spain ) the can took forever .... it's very annoying

thanks for all your recommendations !!!

luckme10 :

Thanks for your recommendations as well...

i knew about GITS : SAC ( also about the 2nd gig and 2 movies ).... but didn't watched nothing yet.... still waiting to get hold of it, but on my list anyways....

Hellsing.... well, i saw that show and can't really say there's nothing thought-provoking really .... action, vampires, more action..... one of the worst musical backgrounds i heard in anime ( just for my own particualr taste, obviously ... ) .... but nothing more.... not trying to diss you .... but, why you think this is a weird thinking show ? ..... just curious.... perhaps i missed something...

Witchhunter robin : i'm already downloading it... but thought it was just another vampire-related anime ..... best for me then !! thanks !!

Phantom Quest Corporation , Curse Of The Undead: Youma , Devil Hunter Yohko ....
didn't knew any, so will check for 'em .... thank you very much !!!

Guyver .... ahem.... i'm a mech-hater ..... so will have to pass on it.... thanks anyways...

One!
Old 2004-09-30, 07:24   Link #5
MartAnimE
willingness to die

You should definetly try Madlax! I just finished watching it and got very positive thoughts about this one. It's a Bee-Train anime, so if you liked noir I guess you'll like Madlax to!
Old 2004-09-30, 15:12   Link #6
Kensuke

Interlude, its an OVA, two of the three episodes has been released so far. Jumps from one genre to another so fast that it maybe confusing at first, but thats the whole point. What is reality and what is dream?

And I noticed that your list is missing one particular series, maybe over-hyped, but definitely a classic and a must-see-series: Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Old 2004-10-01, 17:48   Link #7
seiyuro_hiko

Quote:
Interlude
Thanks !! I already know it !! ( got 2 out of 3 for now ) waiting for the third chapter and can't wait !!!

Quote:
And I noticed that your list is missing one particular series, maybe over-hyped, but definitely a classic and a must-see-series: Neon Genesis Evangelion.
It's not that i missed it.... if you check my 2nd post you'll realize why i didn't list that show on my first one .....

Quote:
You should definetly try Madlax! I just finished watching it and got very positive thoughts about this one. It's a Bee-Train anime, so if you liked noir I guess you'll like Madlax to!
Thank you !!!!! Downloading !!

Thanks everybody for being so friendly !!!

best regards from Spain !!
Old 2004-10-01, 22:05   Link #8
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

Kikou Sennyo Rouran is a mix of magical girl and mecha which exceeds and evades both categories. I'd like to tell you what it is about, but it is really complicated and if I start to tell you what it is about then I'd ruin it for you. I'll just say that everytime you figure out what is going on you'll discover another layer beneath that.

Really? Wow, I gg download this...hehe...wasn't this aired with Princess Tutu?

Anyway, um, but, Mermaid Forest or Angel Sanctuary would probably be great for you. I'm pretty bad at explaining these things....
Old 2004-10-02, 03:24   Link #9
Chronissz

Only one I can add to those listed is Paranoia Agent:

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb...anime&aid=1265

Very weird anime, in a good way

Check the reviews on anidb for more info, only good reviews get posted on that site so they are pretty helpfull, not like animenfo
Old 2004-10-06, 12:48   Link #10
seiyuro_hiko

Quote:
Only one I can add to those listed is Paranoia Agent
Thanks.... but... i already knew it .... ( i listed it on my first top )

thanks anyways ...

One!
Closed Thread