AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill La Kill - Episode 24 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 69 58.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 29.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 6.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.85%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-28, 20:34   Link #121
Tales
Don't lose you WAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
I think he is asking out Mako. I wouldn't be surprised if even the characters aren't sure if it is a romantic or platonic date. To me the asking out looked shippy, but the actual date looked more like of a hanging out date between friends. The mind of Mako is incomprehensible to us mere mortals.
Wait so the possibilities are Satsuki and Mako then right? Or even Ryuuko?

Well Ryuuko can make her wavelength equal to Mako so she can understand what's going through her mind. But you're right that no one else understand it.
Old 2014-03-28, 21:01   Link #122
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Great ending going to miss Nui
Old 2014-03-28, 22:38   Link #123
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

nudity everywhere.... (naked Nonon---- *nosebleed to death*)
Gamagoori X Mako
Senketsu godly-form...
Satsuki and Ryuko holding scissors blade....
Okaa-san moment... Nee-san moment
Satsuki in short hair

Damn! that's awesome
thanks for delivering this anime
10/10!
Old 2014-03-29, 00:35   Link #124
Ickarium

Note that the word Mako used is an English loan word that is usually used non-romantically in light novels and such, but is used romantically as well. You see it a lot in a lot of places.

So take your pick. I think Trigger did it that way to leave things muddled in that area.
Old 2014-03-29, 00:50   Link #125
Romanticide

Spoiler for mako:
Old 2014-03-29, 00:57   Link #126
Eragon
Still Alive

How is it muddled ? I seriously can't understand this mentality. Its like gay female characters don't exist. Is the kiss somehow magically not a kiss.

Tell me, if that had been Ira instead of Ryuko what would the general consensus be ? The double standards are astounding and are starting to get on my nerves.
Old 2014-03-29, 01:14   Link #127
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
How is it muddled ? I seriously can't understand this mentality. Its like gay female characters don't exist. Is the kiss somehow magically not a kiss.

Tell me, if that had been Ira instead of Ryuko what would the general consensus be ? The double standards are astounding and are starting to get on my nerves.

Well, it came from one of Mako's little rants, so it's really not to be taken seriously. However, Kill la Kill was never about romance or relationships, more so friendships and family. Hence why most romance was left for fans to decide. I personally do not believe any of them were homosexual. But then again, Trigger never gave them a real sexual orientation since it was utterly irrelevant.

I'm actually quite glad they left that stuff out anyway, it would've spoiled this show quite a lot otherwise
Old 2014-03-29, 01:34   Link #128
Key Board
Carbon

Mako's a gag character, so it's hard to tell
but I'm going to say Ryuuko has considerable lesbian leanings judging by what she is like when her inhibitions toward society are turned off when wearing Junketsu
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-03-29, 01:49   Link #129
Romanticide

mako's not a gag character, she's one of the heroines, and her speeches are important to the plot.
Old 2014-03-29, 02:19   Link #130
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Mako's a gag character, so it's hard to tell
but I'm going to say Ryuuko has considerable lesbian leanings judging by what she is like when her inhibitions toward society are turned off when wearing Junketsu
I would have to respectfully disagree on that second point, when wearing Junketsu she appeared to have lost of her sense of reasoning and/or her rationality, being unable to think clearly or for herself. In her right mind, it's clear she would never want to do anything of the sort like that.
Old 2014-03-29, 04:20   Link #131
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree on that second point, when wearing Junketsu she appeared to have lost of her sense of reasoning and/or her rationality, being unable to think clearly or for herself. In her right mind, it's clear she would never want to do anything of the sort like that.
Yeah, "anything of the sort" being French kissing the murderer of her father. But if her berserk worked like something that unleashed her most instinctive behaviour suppressing all reason, then it makes sense to speculate that the fact that the first thing that came to her mind to do was to kiss a woman of all things means that her natural sexual desires ARE homosexual.

Still, honestly, I think the whole thing is a bit open, but consider that many comparisons have been drawn, especially at the beginning, between Ryuuko and Utena and between Mako and Anthy - and Utena and Anthy (from Revolutionary Girl Utena, if you don't know) are kind of the poster children for lesbian characters in anime. Personally I somewhat like the lesbian interpretation here because Ryuuko and Mako together are too cute for words and seem like they would really make a nice couple .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Old 2014-03-29, 04:48   Link #132
Ickarium

Quote:
How is it muddled ? I seriously can't understand this mentality. Its like gay female characters don't exist. Is the kiss somehow magically not a kiss. Tell me, if that had been Ira instead of Ryuko what would the general consensus be ? The double standards are astounding and are starting to get on my nerves.
Considering, again, it's used quite often by hetero people in non-romantic ways, sure, I'd have said that they left it open if it were Ira as well. It's a pretty standard non-answer sort of thing.

I will note that the 'date' includes Satsuki and that Ira is there with flowers in a suit for someone, during the date as well. Again, Trigger explicitly left it open to interpretation. Is it for Mako? Did he decide to ask Satsuki or Ryuko out instead? Is Mako involved with Ryuko romantically? Who knows? Go with whatever you personally enjoy!

Frankly, I don't personally care much about whom is in love with whom as that's not the core conceit of the show. But I will admit the usual shipper vitriol amuses me to no end.
Old 2014-03-29, 08:05   Link #133
Eragon
Still Alive

Vitriol right...

The amount of backwards bending is amusing though.
Old 2014-03-29, 09:52   Link #134
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Eragon

Have you ever preferred a het pairing to a directly competing yuri one? Sincere question, not rhetorical.

I ask because I think that's what is going on here.

Ryuko/Mako is nice but I really like how Ira/Mako has been developed over the second half of the show, so I do have a preference for Ira/Mako. This is partly since I think Ryuko would be happy as "just friends" with Mako whereas I don't think happy friendzoning is in the cards for Ira (all the blushing he does around Mako is telling there).

I often, probably usually, prefer a yuri pairing to a competing het one (the Nanoha series has one prominent example of this). But not this time. And I think that other viewers having the same specific preference might be why the date request is getting downplayed a bit. So I don't think we're necessarily seeing just a general dislike of yuri, if you catch my drift.
Old 2014-03-29, 10:35   Link #135
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Eragon

Have you ever preferred a het pairing to a directly competing yuri one? Sincere question, not rhetorical.

I ask because I think that's what is going on here.

Ryuko/Mako is nice but I really like how Ira/Mako has been developed over the second half of the show, so I do have a preference for Ira/Mako. This is partly since I think Ryuko would be happy as "just friends" with Mako whereas I don't think happy friendzoning is in the cards for Ira (all the blushing he does around Mako is telling there).

I often, probably usually, prefer a yuri pairing to a competing het one (the Nanoha series has one prominent example of this). But not this time. And I think that other viewers having the same specific preference might be why the date request is getting downplayed a bit. So I don't think we're necessarily seeing just a general dislike of yuri, if you catch my drift.
No, because that situation has never arisen in the shows I have watched.

From my perspective, the IraMako ship has been pretty one sided affair until the final episode. Since, we are on the subject of downplaying moments, Mako crying over Ira dying could easily be ascribed to her crying over losing a friend.

Meh, I don't even know why I'm so worked up over this. I guess seeing "Two girls clearly have a platonic relationship unless they are shown having sex - since, asking out and kissing is not enough." seriously irritates me.

I'm just gonna go watch RWBY to cool off.

Last edited by Eragon; 2014-03-29 at 11:25.
Old 2014-03-29, 12:02   Link #136
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Yeah, "anything of the sort" being French kissing the murderer of her father. But if her berserk worked like something that unleashed her most instinctive behaviour suppressing all reason, then it makes sense to speculate that the fact that the first thing that came to her mind to do was to kiss a woman of all things means that her natural sexual desires ARE homosexual..
It is worth noting she was under mind control. But yeah, open ended stuffs.
Old 2014-03-29, 13:55   Link #137
Tales
Don't lose you WAY

Quote:

Yeah but, Hallelujah Mako shouldn't be taken too seriously. Plus, I think the kiss was suppose to be similar French culture; when two female kiss, it represent close friendship. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:28   Link #138
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales View Post
Yeah but, Hallelujah Mako shouldn't be taken too seriously. Plus, I think the kiss was suppose to be similar French culture; when two female kiss, it represent close friendship. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
This shit is really delusional. I've never been particularly invested in RyuuMako since I've always preferred RyuuSatsu anyway, but you guys need to get over the fact that Ryuuko is the one Mako is romantically interested in. Why the hell should a Japanese girl asking someone out on a date be interpreted via 'French culture'? Mako's romantic attraction has been clear since forever.

I wouldn't go so far as to say anything like 'RyuuMako is canon' since yeah, the date at the end was pretty vague and seemed deliberately open-ended. Precisely because it was open-ended I find it completely inane that shippers are ignoring blatant characterization. Yes, Ira is attracted to Mako, and Mako is attracted to Ryuuko. That is how things stand as of the ending. No confirmed pairings. Confirmed feelings.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:32   Link #139
Ickarium

Oh, Mako definitely likes girls. She did the high-octane blood spurt when Ryuko was, um, revealing herself at one point. We don't know if she's bisexual, as that hasn't been established. She was awfully upset about Gamagoori's pseudo-sacrifice, but that is not necessarily romantic in the least.

I was just arguing that nothing was really established relationship-wise, 'cause, well, it hasn't, and leaves enough clues at the end to leave everyone happy. Well, unless one wants one's ship to be the utter canon one beyond all doubt.
Old 2014-03-29, 14:49   Link #140
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales View Post
What Sol said.

I find it highly amusing that we need to bring cultural analogies to explain two girls kissing each other.

Tags
final episode thread, trigger