AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 18:26   Link #441
Icarus10

Exactly, I think in the same way. Mikoto only uses her power to create the electromagnetical "rails" to accelerate the coin and throw it. After the coin being accelerated, the power don't interfere anymore, it's like a bullet from a gun.
Icarus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 18:52   Link #442
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

I think everyones worrying or getting worked up about something that hasn't happened yet or if it does happen it'll definitely be explained.

EDIT: and heres something on the after affects

Quote:
Imagine Breaker.
The public television program's laughingstock- and this was despite the numerous ESP formulas established within Academy City. If that attack was from the power of "strange talents", then this strange ability, even if it met God's system, would negate it without a problem.
If that girl's ESP "Railgun" was from the power of strange talents, then it was no exception.
However, Kamijou's Imagine Breaker only worked on the power of strange talents. To put it simply, it protected him from an ESP's fireball, but it couldn't protect him from the fragments of concrete that the fireball sent. Its effectiveness was also limited to "from the right wrist onward"; if any other place were to be hit by the fireball, it would definitely be covered in flames.
Quote:
Railgun: Misaka's nickname, 'Railgun', comes from her ability to fire metal objects at incredible speeds using electricity. Both the anime and manga have stated that Misaka's 'railgun' with arcade coins has a muzzle velocity of around 1030 m/s (2307.2 mph) and that she can fire her 'projectiles' a rate of 8 shots per minute. The projectile she uses are almost always arcade coins, but she claims the coins melt from friction with the atmosphere at around 50 meters, limiting the railgun's effective length there. She can replace the coins with a much larger projectile and yields more power and can travel further than an ordinary Railgun. The name somewhat contradicts the details of how an actual railgun functions, though, as she doesn't use 'conducting rails' in her ability.
and wow, we got a smarty pants on the wikia.

Quote:
Mikoto's Railgun is actually incapable of causing the amount of destruction shown in the anime. Assuming that the Arcade coins, which are similar in size to a 500 yen coin, weigh 7 grams. (The weight of a 500 yen coin[1]) When fired at a velocity of 1030 m/s, the kinetic energy of the coins, given by the formula mv2/2, (In which m is mass in Kg, and v is the velocity in m/s.)[2] is only 3713.15 Joules. (.007x10302/2 ) Which is around the same amount of kinetic energy as a .280 Remington round fired at 861 m/s. (3,700 Joules)[3]

Last edited by I_am_Kami; 2011-01-09 at 20:04.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 20:09   Link #443
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
I think everyones worrying or getting worked up about something that hasn't happened yet or if it does happen it'll definitely be explained.

EDIT: and heres something on the after affects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
As it was said, in the original novel, Touma never stopped a railgun.
He did stop it the railgun in the novel. If you read wilfri's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus10 View Post
Exactly, I think in the same way. Mikoto only uses her power to create the electromagnetical "rails" to accelerate the coin and throw it. After the coin being accelerated, the power don't interfere anymore, it's like a bullet from a gun.
The force he used is created by esper ability..... too tired to repeat it again and again.

Because we are entering an eternal loop on either it's the author's fault which I don't see it as his/her fault because I can understand that Touma can block it from what I know of his ability. But I explained my part and it still goes..... on.

from vol 1 chapter 1 of the light novel
Quote:
Yesterday, Kamijou used his right hand to block every single one of Mikoto’s attacks, including the "Railgun", a "whip sword" formed by iron sand, a powerful electromagnetic pulse that targets the organs, and the final move: real "lightning".
But every single move was unable to hurt Kamijou.
As long as it’s a supernatural power, Kamijou Touma can negate every single one of them.
She even tried to paralyzed and an internal attack on Touma but still useless. Even if she controls the environment which will result in summoning a real lightning it still useless.

from vol 16 chapter 4

Quote:
The one attack that Acqua of the Back used should have caused absolute destruction. Including Kanzaki, all the Amakusa members shouldn't be left alive. However, the situation now seems like Acqua's spell got destroyed, like nothing got destroyed.
(Van, ish...? The spell, magic, vanished?)
Kanzaki slowly looks up.
No matter good or evil, strong or weak, this act erases them all.

If you think Mikoto's railgun is strong. It's nothing compared to magic imbued attack of aqua. Specially a concentrated one. But still as long as it's super natural ability. It will be negated and the attack itself is useless.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:00   Link #444
Icarus10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
He did stop it the railgun in the novel. If you read wilfri's post

The force he used is created by esper ability..... too tired to repeat it again and again.

Because we are entering an eternal loop on either it's the author's fault which I don't see it as his/her fault because I can understand that Touma can block it from what I know of his ability. But I explained my part and it still goes..... on.

from vol 1 chapter 1 of the light novel
Well, I thought the Railgun works like when Accel uses his Vector Control to throw those metal bars on Touma: a esper ability move and throw the bar, but Touma is unable to stop the bar to crush him. So, Mikoto uses his esper ability to make the coin act like a bullet, so I think Touma is unable to stop her attack too.

Anyway, I need to read gain the Vol 1. I don't remember Touma stopping the Railgun.
Icarus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 23:23   Link #445
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

i think i finally get how it can be blocked. GOing crazy over this.

So since the coins is moving fast because of the lightning it should stop since its lightning stops. I think it would be a physical or natural attack if it was an actual throw by mikoto.
Old 2011-01-10, 00:07   Link #446
Miraluka
Banned

Maybe if Mikoto "borrows" a 280 Remington from the military or from Telestina she can win against Touma
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 07:34   Link #447
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Oh please, not even Hound Dogs and all their high tech weapons manage to kill Touma.

Don't go assuming a gun equals automatic victory, Touma just changes tactics.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 09:29   Link #448
tsunade666

Touma manage to dodge a lunatic level danmaku from Accelerator and Fiamma. A little straight line beam wouldn't even faze him. Use shift and graze away XD
Old 2011-01-10, 10:34   Link #449
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah, she tooks a time to aim and Touma isn't going to stood up there without doing something.
Old 2011-01-11, 05:25   Link #450
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Oh please, not even Hound Dogs and all their high tech weapons manage to kill Touma.

Don't go assuming a gun equals automatic victory, Touma just changes tactics.
TBH Hound Dogs are so incompetent, even my platoon could wipe them out....

Quote:
Touma manage to dodge a lunatic level danmaku from Accelerator and Fiamma. A little straight line beam wouldn't even faze him. Use shift and graze away XD
More like he bombed (blocked?) XD
Old 2011-01-11, 07:59   Link #451
eiyuu99

At the rate Touma is going, how much further before he starts gaining after images...?
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 08:20   Link #452
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

and wow, we got a smarty pants on the wikia.
I choose to think either Kamachi got his dynamics wrong or the additional power of the Railgun comes from some AIM reality warping...
Old 2011-01-11, 15:27   Link #453
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

doesn't it get more impact though. Ex.

A few years ago some kids from my school were about to pass a kid they hated. So they drove fast and threw pennies at him, killing him. Ill assume the were only going 40.

Well isn't it like the same if a meteor fragment comes toward the earth. Though of course diff. in weight but it travels so fast it leaves giant wholes.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:29   Link #454
giorno

you see, just being faster =/= being more powerful. The reason why meteor "fragments" can leave giant craters isn't because they're insanely fast, it's because they tend to be really freaking heavy.

The arcade coin Mikoto generally uses is not only less massive than a bullet, it is also far less aerodynamic. AND on top of that, it isn't really much faster than a bullet fired from an assault rifle. The M-16 for example fires bullets at around 950/1000 m/s, which is very close to the speed of Mikoto's railgun....
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 17:49   Link #455
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
you see, just being faster =/= being more powerful. The reason why meteor "fragments" can leave giant craters isn't because they're insanely fast, it's because they tend to be really freaking heavy.

The arcade coin Mikoto generally uses is not only less massive than a bullet, it is also far less aerodynamic. AND on top of that, it isn't really much faster than a bullet fired from an assault rifle. The M-16 for example fires bullets at around 950/1000 m/s, which is very close to the speed of Mikoto's railgun....
yeah but i've heard as an example if someone dropped a coin from the empire state building and it hits a car it'll crush a car.

besides its not like her coins make soooo much damage. Its just debris from the coin hitting the floor so fast and hard. Every railgun explosion we see thats big might be mainly from the lightning surrounding the coin?
Old 2011-01-11, 18:13   Link #456
giorno

Quote:
yeah but i've heard as an example if someone dropped a coin from the empire state building and it hits a car it'll crush a car.
yeah, no. That's just a myth.

Quote:
besides its not like her coins make soooo much damage. Its just debris from the coin hitting the floor so fast and hard.
Quote:
The instant the orange light crashed into the iron bridge's road surface, it was as if an aeroplane above the sea made an emergency landing and blew the asphalt off. The orange afterglow, which spanned thirty meters straight to the opposite side and did all sorts of destruction, was still scorching the atmosphere with its afterimage even after its movement stopped.
Quote:
Every railgun explosion we see thats big might be mainly from the lightning surrounding the coin?
Except for the fact that the novels emphasize that the railgun's power is due to the coin's speed and thus its kinetic energy, not any lingering electric currents on the coin. To begin with, if that were the case, the railgun would be a completely obsolete technique for Mikoto

most likely, Kamachi heard about railguns, found out that Mikoto could do something similar using the lorenz force, and went with it half assed, like a vast majority of writers do, and didn't bother to check whether he got his numbers right...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 19:20   Link #457
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
yeah, no. That's just a myth.

Except for the fact that the novels emphasize that the railgun's power is due to the coin's speed and thus its kinetic energy, not any lingering electric currents on the coin. To begin with, if that were the case, the railgun would be a completely obsolete technique for Mikoto

most likely, Kamachi heard about railguns, found out that Mikoto could do something similar using the lorenz force, and went with it half assed, like a vast majority of writers do, and didn't bother to check whether he got his numbers right...

yeah but i wont let it bother me though its not like we can try it out in real life so we should just go along with it. Wat? you find one tiny thing exaggerated thats based off our universe and argue bout something like that. Its the world of espers, God knows whats the reason, I don't bother reading the first season novels since i saw the anime first so i cant really tell what the author explained for her firing such power.
Old 2011-01-12, 19:49   Link #458
Miraluka
Banned

It seems Kamachi doesn't pick too much interest in science details of the real world because in the world of toaru science goes to "OMG AIM angel!" levels making the real world's laws useless on it so there is no choice to use some fast research for "low" level espers like the remaining level 5's and below.

Comments/descriptions like this very common in the novels:
Quote:
For some reason the night sky has been ripped wide open, and from there a large amount of yellow golden light spilled out. Considering how sunlight refracts in the ozone layer, the colour impossible to show up on Earth covered the entire sky, and chased it out from the simple darkness. Different to the scene immersed in darkness from before, the fortress that has conquered the sky is now shown clearly in the eyes of humanity.
Until just then, considering the time of day it should be, the sky was already strange enough.
In the unnatural night sky that’s like it was designed by humans, the positions of the constellations were something that cannot be identified by astronomy.
However,
This golden colour is on a completely different level. It gives off the feeling trying to explain it using astronomy to begin with is a mistake. It gives off the feeling this is a declaration towards all the scientists of the world: “Even though common sense says this shouldn’t be possible, but as this exists right in front of your eyes there’s no choice but to accept it”.
All things submit to its might.
If this scene where the basic laws of science no longer applies is acceptable, then having this on the scale of it covering across the sky of the whole world is easily enough to bring awe to every existence under it.
Thats just picking a volume, then if you check the 13th, 15th, 18th where the science is supposed to be there...
Old 2011-01-12, 20:35   Link #459
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
It seems Kamachi doesn't pick too much interest in science details of the real world because in the world of toaru science goes to "OMG AIM angel!" levels making the real world's laws useless on it so there is no choice to use some fast research for "low" level espers like the remaining level 5's and below.

Comments/descriptions like this very common in the novels:

Thats just picking a volume, then if you check the 13th, 15th, 18th where the science is supposed to be there...
I dont get what u mean. Ur saying the science in toaruverse is exaggerated, right?
Old 2011-01-12, 21:17   Link #460
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
I dont get what u mean. Ur saying the science in toaruverse is exaggerated, right?
No, what I mean is that after certain point science doesn't matters anymore.