Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-25, 01:31   Link #1
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Best Compact Speakers

Yeah, it's me again...

So, same scenario: I'm trying to upgrade all of the hardware in my college's anime club. The club usually occupies a stadium-style mid-size lecture hall (75 - 250 people). In order to make setup and tear-down as efficient as possible, I would like to find some speakers that are small, but also produce a lot of sound. As such, I am considering these Bose speakers.

Now, I went to one of the Bose stores to hear their range, and it seems like they will project enough to suit the club's needs. However, I don't know if there are speakers of similar/smaller size that are louder and/or cheaper.

Anyone else have experience with this? I'd hate to go with the Bose speakers if there's an obviously better solution out there.

P.S. If possible, I'd like to set $250 as my price ceiling.
Old 2011-10-25, 04:03   Link #2
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Yeah, it's me again...

So, same scenario: I'm trying to upgrade all of the hardware in my college's anime club. The club usually occupies a stadium-style mid-size lecture hall (75 - 250 people). In order to make setup and tear-down as efficient as possible, I would like to find some speakers that are small, but also produce a lot of sound. As such, I am considering these Bose speakers.

Now, I went to one of the Bose stores to hear their range, and it seems like they will project enough to suit the club's needs. However, I don't know if there are speakers of similar/smaller size that are louder and/or cheaper.

Anyone else have experience with this? I'd hate to go with the Bose speakers if there's an obviously better solution out there.

P.S. If possible, I'd like to set $250 as my price ceiling.
Don't know how much they cost where you are from but how about this.

YHT-S401
Great for viewing TV when there is a lot of dialog.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2011-10-25 at 04:51.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 04:25   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Personally I wouldn't take Boss because usually they are very overprized.
I considered buying them also a few weeks back, but I ended up with a same system different brand but at least 125,- cheaper.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 12:33   Link #4
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Personally I wouldn't take Boss because usually they are very overprized.
I considered buying them also a few weeks back, but I ended up with a same system different brand but at least 125,- cheaper.
Some information, like the brand and model would be a big help.
Old 2011-10-25, 20:14   Link #5
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Some information, like the brand and model would be a big help.
Here try these.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...s/PM0.4n.shtml

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...rs.aspx?s=B600

http://www.edifier-international.com...edifier-studio

All are decent suppliers. If you could find some Edirol or Onkyo powered amps then they should also be considered as well.

== Edit ==
This is also good.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-101...9591980&sr=1-1
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:29   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

For mid-large rooms you will need 40W effective output minimum imo (the max output value doesn't matter its bogus most of the time anyway).

Below 40W you will certainly have to overdrive the speakers which is bad for the speakers and gives a bad sound. Unless of course you just need it for ambient music (discreet/gentle sound).

If you want to place importance to speach, you can go with speakers that are good in the mid and high frequencies. You do not need too much bass there.

However, in movies and/or animes you typically want to have an allrounder setup. E.g. action scenes without bass are kinda lame.

Since size matters, because of transportability I'ld suggest to go even beyond the 40W. Typically you can gain some volume with resonance that requires large speaker designs (lots of spatial volume).

I'ld combine the Jamo S 404 with the Hollywood Impact-240 amplifier... which is not a HiFi amplifier... but an PA/final stage... the only thing effordable in that power range. Though I suspect it will be too expensive ^^'
Old 2011-10-28, 03:52   Link #7
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

I am currently testing out the Bose Companion 20 Speakers (Best Buy has a 30-day Return Policy). The room that we are using them in (a medium-sized, stadium style lecture hall) works well for dialogue, highs, and mids. The problem is, of course, the bass. Now, each of those speakers DOES have a bass, but it sounds rather weak.

I've heard that programs like SRS HD Audio Lab can tweak these sound settings to improve the bass, but I've been having problems with that. Apparently sandbox programs like that have issues with x64 Windows OS's, so it fails after the 1st restart. Has anyone been able to successfully use one of these Audio manipulation programs on speakers? Any information would be a big help.
Old 2011-10-29, 15:57   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

The thing is, you will only overdrive them.

Think about it like this:

Lets assume the active speaker is amplifying the bass at a ratio of 1:10 until it hits the maximum output limit. It does not really matter then if you raise the input signal e.g. 2 times... the output will stay at its limit.

But to answer your question:

Some motherboards have soundchips with hardware mixers that allow bass/treble manipulation (e.g. realtek chipsets).
Some media players allow audio filters/processors to alterate (e.g. mplayer)