AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-28, 23:16   Link #41
Adigard

It's been suggested by a few of our Japanese speaking forumites that the new manga isn't terribly succesful. Kyon apparently is more of a cheap knock-off character and the manga isn't terribly succesful in replicating the "feel" of the novel. Given the choice between having people working on the novel, or the manga... I'd prefer to see the novel translated. Besides, there's more groups out there on the 'net that translate manga... people who are willing to translate novels are rather few and far between.

Unless of course we have some novel translators who just aren't feeling up to the task of tackling a full novel ^^
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 00:53   Link #42
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Does anyone have larger versions of the cover art?
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 01:20   Link #43
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
It's been suggested by a few of our Japanese speaking forumites that the new manga isn't terribly succesful. Kyon apparently is more of a cheap knock-off character and the manga isn't terribly succesful in replicating the "feel" of the novel.
It's not that the manga is bad, but the original novel contained detailed literatures and the anime boasts superior art qualities, while the manga, in comparison, doesn't seem to have a lot to offer in return: the story isn't as detailed as the original novel, nor is the visual presentation as polished as the anime. The anime even managed to replicate the novel character designs down to a tee, while the manga took some liberties (especially for Kyon's design).

To put it in simpler words, as a media format used to deliver the story of "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu", the manga (currently) just doesn't have the same impact value that the novels and anime have.

But, if you're simply interested in reading a manga adaptation/version of Suzumiya Haruhi and nothing else, then for what it's worth, the manga itself is actually very nicely done.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 08:20   Link #44
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
In other words. if your a TRUE believer of Haruhiism. You'll buy the manga.

Old 2006-04-29, 08:41   Link #45
NeoSam

oops in my previous post I said that the first volume of the new manga will be out soon >.< but its already out (got out on 26/4/2006).

Whats soon coming out is the 8th volume of the seinen novel (release date: May 1st, 2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
In other words. if your a TRUE believer of Haruhiism. You'll buy the manga.
Exactly if you are a true fan of Suzumiya Haruhi, you'll get everything : novel, manga and anime (and live action series that would be just totally weird if they ever do a live action Suzumiya Haruhi )
Old 2006-04-29, 09:02   Link #46
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

I wanna see a live action version!!

Yuki! Mikuru! Kawaii!

Haruhi! Kowaii! Bijn! bijin!
Old 2006-04-29, 11:29   Link #47
ando

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Whats soon coming out is the 8th volume of the seinen novel (release date: May 1st, 2006)
Official release date of the 8th volume of Suzumiya Haruhi novel is 1/5/2006, but practically it has been already available in 28/4/2006 due to the holiday season in Japan. Of course I got it.
ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 12:42   Link #48
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando
Official release date of the 8th volume of Suzumiya Haruhi novel is 1/5/2006, but practically it has been already available in 28/4/2006 due to the holiday season in Japan. Of course I got it.
Yeah I know, its not the first time a novel or a manga is available before its officialy released (LOL this sentence didn't make any sense well, you know what I mean >.< )

I can't wait to get my hands on it
Old 2006-04-29, 13:06   Link #49
Thelastguardian

The manga wasn't that bad. It is unforturnate that the mangaka cut some major scenes out though (especially at the beginning- how Kyon and Haruhi met). Other than that, the manga is fine on its own.

If you want the novel illustration level of quality in a manga. That is so hard I don't even know if it is possible(especially when you compared the manga to the first few volumes. The illustrator slacked off for the later volumes XD ).

Just read the magazine. No need to wait for the manga .
Old 2006-04-29, 19:47   Link #50
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm how do you guys handle your novels?

I just bought volume 2 to 7, 1 was out of stock and i have already placed an order. i also pre ordered vol 8.

So i read chapter 1 of vol 2 and I find myself handling really carefully, now im disturbed that the cover is a little warped and some corners dented lol.

I'm thinking of buying another set, which i will not be reading, just for keeping/collection.

I've also ordered the chinese versions 1 - 5, which i won't be treating with extreme care, I'm just going to read them like a normal book.

I usually don't treat books with much care, but its guess my haruhist fanatism.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 14:21   Link #51
Haruhara

Does anyone know a good place to buy the novels online? Preferably somewhere that accepts paypal.

I ordered volume one from yesasia but they said they were out of stock and that it didn't look like they were getting any in anytime soon.
Haruhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 15:55   Link #52
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Sry for n00bish question... But is any group scanlating teh manga? I`d get teh original but it`s too hard to find a good japanese course in my country >_<
Old 2006-05-04, 16:13   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I got all mine from amazon.co.jp - though they run higher than necessary on shipping so I try to buy a bunch of books at once when I order from them.

I've given up on yesasia .... out of five orders I've placed with them, they failed to actually have stock on all but one order. Of course, they'd wait for a month before they'd tell me so I'd have lost that time for looking elsewhere.

Places that accept paypal are harder to find.... in fact, looking through my "preferred dealer list" not one does. They all take debit cards or "visabuxx cards" though (even the ones that claim to only take credit cards).

@RiXeD: not yet, but I imagine there will be soon given the popularity of the anime and the novels.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-04 at 16:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 16:22   Link #54
Runningkid

oh dear...... ive jsut ordered from yes asia , book 4 5 6 and 7 and the manga..... theys ed tow ait 21 days.

So would they tell me in 21 days taht they dont ahve stock?!
Runningkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 17:06   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. you might have wonderful results ....
All I can say is if they said that.. I might start looking elsewhere and cancel it if you can place an order with someone who has it *on hand* (ship <24hrs).
Old 2006-05-04, 18:21   Link #56
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Brick and mortar stores might have 1 or 2 volumes but getting a set is now difficult.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 02:39   Link #57
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Hmmm how do you guys handle your novels?

I just bought volume 2 to 7, 1 was out of stock and i have already placed an order. i also pre ordered vol 8.

So i read chapter 1 of vol 2 and I find myself handling really carefully, now im disturbed that the cover is a little warped and some corners dented lol.

I'm thinking of buying another set, which i will not be reading, just for keeping/collection.

I've also ordered the chinese versions 1 - 5, which i won't be treating with extreme care, I'm just going to read them like a normal book.

I usually don't treat books with much care, but its guess my haruhist fanatism.
Don't worry about warped covers and such, my Chinese copy of Volume 5 is already quite well-worn despite the fact that I owned it for less than 2 weeks. It's just how the books are printed. What is important is the content of the novels, IMO.

Speaking of Volume 5,
Spoiler:
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 04:07   Link #58
arcticphoenix16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
arcticphoenix16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 10:00   Link #59
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticphoenix16
Spoiler:
Yuki's in the SOS-Dan, yes? All of the members achievements are Haruhi's achievements, and all of Haruhi's achievements are the SOS-Dan's achievements.

At least, that is how I see it.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 10:21   Link #60
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Firefocht
Yuki's in the SOS-Dan, yes? All of the members achievements are Haruhi's achievements, and all of Haruhi's achievements are the SOS-Dan's achievements.

At least, that is how I see it.
ah, no.

That should be:

"All of the members achievements are Haruhi's achievements, and all of Haruhi's achievements are Haruhi's achievements.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga