4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-04, 08:11   Link #201
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I was thinking about the plot of this episode again, and I thought about something; why does Sumeragi feel the need to engage Sergei's task force, again? Especially if you're not at full battle readiness due to your only several combat-capable units in the midst of maintenance, and especially, with the h4x machinery that is the GN Drive, you should have more than enough horsepower to outrun any pursuer...I would think that a wise commander would run and live to fight another day, instead of committing scarce resources to a battle where she has already lost the initiative. I'm not seeing the point of the diversion at all.

And even if Sergei's forces catch them there like they did in this episode, Sumeragi would have had an easier job of it; just sortie Virtue, and have Tieria point his cannons at the satellites. A clear message if there ever was one; "gtfo or I'll blast your whole federation back to the stone age!" Virtue certainly has the guns to put some serious hurt on the HRL's energy generating capabilities, and I'm sure even Sergei wouldn't risk that.

Well, that's just how I see it. Of course, I probably missed a few details there; anyone want to point out what I might have missed?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 08:24   Link #202
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I was thinking about the plot of this episode again, and I thought about something; why does Sumeragi feel the need to engage Sergei's task force, again? Especially if you're not at full battle readiness due to your only several combat-capable units in the midst of maintenance, and especially, with the h4x machinery that is the GN Drive, you should have more than enough horsepower to outrun any pursuer...I would think that a wise commander would run and live to fight another day, instead of committing scarce resources to a battle where she has already lost the initiative. I'm not seeing the point of the diversion at all.

And even if Sergei's forces catch them there like they did in this episode, Sumeragi would have had an easier job of it; just sortie Virtue, and have Tieria point his cannons at the satellites. A clear message if there ever was one; "gtfo or I'll blast your whole federation back to the stone age!" Virtue certainly has the guns to put some serious hurt on the HRL's energy generating capabilities, and I'm sure even Sergei wouldn't risk that.

Well, that's just how I see it. Of course, I probably missed a few details there; anyone want to point out what I might have missed?
IMHO a couple of factors were involved to make Sumeragi take that course of action: Possible overconfidence by Sumeragi on the Gundam's abilities and her own tactical planning, which has allowed them to accomplish 60 successful missions in the past, and the fact that the threat was detected too late.

Also, had they actually suceeded in thwarting HRL's plans here, it would setback the HRL's efforts by a few notches, which would be more beneficial in the long run than simply running.

As for threatening the Solar Energy Rings... so far, Celestial Being has not shown any inclination to do anything of the sort, as in holding something for ransom. They attack when provoked, and when there's a percieved imminent threat, but we've never seen CB threaten civilians and important infrastructure just to get out of sticky situations.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 08:51   Link #203
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Send a message via ICQ to mikeabundo Send a message via AIM to mikeabundo Send a message via MSN to mikeabundo Send a message via Yahoo to mikeabundo
Arrow

Now I know why Lockon carries Haro around. It's a loli magnet.

Last edited by mikeabundo; 2007-12-04 at 09:02.
mikeabundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 09:09   Link #204
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
Wrong. Tact is temperance. Cowardice is avoidance. AEU and Union both showed that they know how to work their agendas into the battle even after getting flattened by CB.
What is it about the agenda of the AEU that you find so temperate?

Quote:
Apparently only HRL has the resources (which doesn't make sense considering how big AEU and Union are) to make such a communication device.
Why are you under the assumption that only the HRL could pull it off?

Quote:
They are out in SPACE and you would think that in a drifting-mode, civilian crafts would not worry about crashing into anything (SPACE, not some highway or even an ocean. There is nothing to worry about while you're in orbit and when you're CLOAKED no less). The lackadaisical attitudes of even Sumeragi and Felt proves that. If there was a military discipline, there would be officers in proper shifts.
Are you seriously trying to argue that if they weren't justified in being extremely unalert, then they wouldn't have been so unalert? Or that nothing can go wrong on a ship in space? You do realize that the job of a bridge crew is more than just to monitor whether the enemy are approaching, don't you?

Quote:
100%? Because you said it like she knew it from the start. That is not the point. She knew after it was too late by sending the two Gundams off. Pay attention here.
My point was that it's just about impossible to tell who one's opponent is based purely on the tactics he uses. I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about here.

Quote:
No. Like you said, there was no way she would have known it would be Sergei from the beginning. It was AFTER things got messy that she knew. Why do you put it like Sumeragi is a fortune teller?
Or here for that matter. How does what you wrote relate to my statement - which was to the effect that Sumeragi chose to go into the radio interference zone?

Quote:
Visual contact in space is next to impossible in actual practicality and you can't expect HRL to just scan space thinking that CB would be close. THAT is why they were surprised CB's ship was so close.
No it isn't. We can see the ISS from the ground - and that's with atmospheric interference to consider.

Quote:
Why are you ignoring the finer points I made before? Like I said, the situation they're in, there is no safe haven for Gundams once they are not in operation. You can't seriously expect them to take the initiation all the time. And according to the show, the actions went on for MONTHS, successfully until they were caught off guard. It has nothing to do with taking an initiative. Numbers-wise, pattern-wise, there was no reason to think that CB would not get away with it with equal ease.
What are you going on about? You do understand what having the local initiative means, don't you?
Old 2007-12-04, 10:12   Link #205
withered_joy
虫酸が走るわ!!

=D this episode has successfully redeemed itself from the disappointment I had in episode 8. It has been quite a while since I've been eagerly watching for what was going to happen later on.
This is the first perfect 10 out of 10 rating I've given for Gundam 00. I loved the comical parts, the character development, and the strategical stuff of this episode, everything was balanced very nicely. For the first time, I wasn't annoyed by Louise and actually laughed at the random Saji-Louise screen-time.
withered_joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 10:23   Link #206
Hanbok
nahmoo

Um, I don't know why I keep watching Gundam 00. I guess I was hoping for a small ray of light to propel me to watch this series more intensely, but episode 09... I felt it was kind of lame and boring. The characters seem kind of uninteresting. I had to skip the "OOOHH I CAN'T DO THIS!!! I CAN'T ACTIVIATE THE SHIELDD!!!" part because I felt more annoyed than sorry for her.
Hanbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 12:27   Link #207
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanbok View Post
Um, I don't know why I keep watching Gundam 00. I guess I was hoping for a small ray of light to propel me to watch this series more intensely, but episode 09... I felt it was kind of lame and boring. The characters seem kind of uninteresting. I had to skip the "OOOHH I CAN'T DO THIS!!! I CAN'T ACTIVIATE THE SHIELDD!!!" part because I felt more annoyed than sorry for her.
Except she did start the shield, before she had the panic attack.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 12:42   Link #208
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Just goes to show Technology doesnt mean shit when faced with superior tatics and proper planning. C.B. has had the surprise on their side much of the time when intervening, combined with their technology and tactics their wins were preformed flawlessly. However this time they got the drop put on them unprepared and out schooled they are in some deep shit at the moment. Even if the enemy does not caputure a Gundam the morale they would gain would press them forward with more operations and several of the Gundams weaknesses were exposed here the main one being their mother ship is not armed.

I enjoyed the later half of the episode but several of the things i dont like about show are still apparent. No reason to restate them again unfournetly i could not bring my self to give this episode a higher rating than a 7. Gundam 00 is still full of potential and i have no doubt that the series will continue to get better as the episodes roll on.,
Old 2007-12-04, 13:56   Link #209
Uncreative
Just an idea

Speaking of Christina's panic attack, why was she calling out for Allelujah?
Uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 14:39   Link #210
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative View Post
It could be that he is her type, or knowing he's on his way back to protect the ship.
Old 2007-12-04, 15:43   Link #211
hamstar
just passing by

Quote:
something to do with drifting in space together perhaps?

Thats what I thought of anyway.

this episode was OK

but it's really just setting up for the next one in my humble opinion.

I look forward to seeing hallelujah go ape shit and teria get humbled after being tied up with those whip-like anchor rip-offs from code geass.
Old 2007-12-04, 16:19   Link #212
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

O_O Tense action
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 17:11   Link #213
Lelouch
Phaeton

something about shooting missiles outa the crotch and then penetrating to hull of the ship kinda reminds me of fertilization in my ecchi mind >.>
Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 18:58   Link #214
bloodyknight

What the hell are you thinking, man!?
bloodyknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 19:11   Link #215
Hydex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So you want a series where we don't learn about the characters backgrounds?
No, I just don't want the emo version, which is what we always have... Thus I prefer nothing to this.

Edit : Now that I think about it, I should just fast forward when they talk about their backgrounds, it's always the same kind of things for all gundam series. Maybe it would make a good action anime then.
Hydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 19:34   Link #216
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Or me maybe he is a newtype making him the strongest and dependable pilot.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 21:27   Link #217
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Why are you under the assumption that only the HRL could pull it off?
Sergei said it was too expansive to try more than once or twice and Sumeragi worked out it was the HRL doing it by how resource intensive it was. Therefore it is unlikely the other factions could manage it. Or Sumeragi would have needed to work out who was doing it by other factors like being in HRL controlled space.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 21:54   Link #218
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Sergei said it was too expansive to try more than once or twice and Sumeragi worked out it was the HRL doing it by how resource intensive it was. Therefore it is unlikely the other factions could manage it. Or Sumeragi would have needed to work out who was doing it by other factors like being in HRL controlled space.
There was nothing special about those communication devices. The point Sumergai was making was that only the HRL would have the resources to deploy not just one but TENS OF THOUSANDS of those devices to cover at least 80% of their orbit.

The devices may not be too expensive but we're talking about deploying them en masse to find a needle in a haystack.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 22:20   Link #219
Marsala
Delurker

Also, of the 3 major powers, only the HRL is formally anti-Gundam, so they would be the most likely to commit the necessary resources to such a scheme. The Union probably has near equal or even superior resources but would be less likely to go to such trouble.
Marsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 22:34   Link #220
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsala View Post
Also, of the 3 major powers, only the HRL is formally anti-Gundam, so they would be the most likely to commit the necessary resources to such a scheme. The Union probably has near equal or even superior resources but would be less likely to go to such trouble.
didn't sound like it from that whole "and just when our economy started to get back on it's feet" line by the Union president a few weeks back.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote