Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep22:
Which one?
Old 2009-09-07, 14:54   Link #2342
orangejuicetang

Let's play the which three are going to be the final 3 game.
Mihoko is probably going to be 1, simply because she has such a large lead. Touka might make it, if soley to bring Amae there with her. The last slot will probably go to either Saki for being the main character, or Nodoka who's in 2nd right now.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 15:26   Link #2343
Sassarai
Army of One

As I was telling my buddy Majin,

I scoured the entire Internets and I believe this is definitely the best picture of Momo out there.

Spoiler for momo:

just kidding

Early on voting results

Hisa and Saki tied at 3
Koromo at 2

Created this chart to help those fans who can't remember names well. I.E ME

Spoiler for chart:

http://saki916.blogspot.com/

Oh vote for as much characters as you want. You might have to delete cookies though.

Last edited by Sassarai; 2009-09-07 at 16:44.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 16:25   Link #2344
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

Quote:
Spoiler for ep22:
I thought it was a flashback during a flashback? If it really was reused as new footage then

Even the girls want her...
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 17:55   Link #2345
fukarming

Plenty of you say Momo's stealth ability is cheating and plenty of you jump out to defend. I would like to offer my view of this.

In Saki and MahJong anime in general, they emphasized on dramatic fashions and abilities. If everyone played like Nodoka, there is not much of a story (They could spend lots of time discussing possibility and why Nodoka make this or that discard, but they didn't make much of a story. It will became a Mahjong tutorial). So one thing Mahjong anime is to emphasized on the "sensing the flow". The most notable mention in the anime would be the overnight training trip when Saki playing against the computer. Saki said that she couldn't "see" like she did when playing at a table. Another mention would be the 1-pin Koromo draws and she immediately know Saki is aiming for it. If you know anything about Mahjong you will know it is impossible to single out a certain tile like that (most of the time you will be able to deduce through discards that certain tiles are more dangerous than the others). Mahjong anime justifies it making the "sense the flow" more apparent than real life.

Momo's ability completely nullifies the sensing of the table. Of course, as fiction, it dramatise the ability by saying she completely disappear. Saki was never an anime about realistic Mahjong, think of it as the Prince of Tennis version of Mahjong.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 18:22   Link #2346
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
In Saki and MahJong anime in general, they emphasized on dramatic fashions and abilities. If everyone played like Nodoka, there is not much of a story (They could spend lots of time discussing possibility and why Nodoka make this or that discard, but they didn't make much of a story. It will became a Mahjong tutorial).
You should watch Akagi for an example of a series where everyone plays in the range of Nodoka and Hisa(in terms of style), with everyone playing mind games on each other to see how a series with more or less real people can work.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 18:29   Link #2347
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Which one?
The one where Saki is lost and Nodoka comes to get her. I'm not sure which episode it was though...
Just looking through pics (at Random Curiosity), episode 17?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 21:41   Link #2348
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i haven't watched 22 yet, but judging from 21, its kind of obvious that they're setting up Yuuki to fall.. also, mystery girl intrigues me.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 22:33   Link #2349
FateAnomaly

Its kind of ridiculous that the first day and second day will have different rules when they are at the same phase of a tournament. Anyway, Yuuki should have played defensive and just maintains her lead since she knows she is kinda weak in the south round.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 00:00   Link #2350
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You should watch Akagi for an example of a series where everyone plays in the range of Nodoka and Hisa(in terms of style), with everyone playing mind games on each other to see how a series with more or less real people can work.
I watched Akagi and I am referring exactly to Akagi when I am making the comment. Remember the 2nd opponent of Akagi in the anime (after the blind guy), that guy is exactly a Nodoka type player (possibility over everything) and Akagi (and the author) think he is a 3rd tier player because he couldn't "read the flow". Basically Akagi's theory is that calculating possibility is a must in the Mahjong world, but to separate a 1st tier and 3rd tier player is how you read the flow (on table performance). So sure, Akagi has more strategy and stuff, but instincts are also crucial to succeed in Akagi's world.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 00:05   Link #2351
kniteowl

Is it just me or are the other 3 players are underestimating Saki, she's more capable then winning through the use of Kans.

Episode 3, 13 Orphans within 3 turns and a possible Ron which she didn't take

The Straights don't also affect the honour tiles (winds & dragons) so Saki has a chance of declaring kan that way.

There also the fact that quite a few of Saki's Kans are collected by herself as hidden kans, unless Hisa's actions were meant to disrupt the flow of the tiles so it'd prevent Saki from colelcting her hidden Kan.

I wonder how Hisa's bad wait will affect the game, I don't think empty riichi's will intimidate Momo, since she beluievs all her tiles are invisible lol.

I wonder who South Wind girl will face next?
Old 2009-09-08, 00:08   Link #2352
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Its kind of ridiculous that the first day and second day will have different rules when they are at the same phase of a tournament. Anyway, Yuuki should have played defensive and just maintains her lead since she knows she is kinda weak in the south round.
If you're talking about the extra south wind round it doesn't sound ridiculous. In large tournament there are usually shorter round to weed the competition. Once the main game started playing the east and south wind round are both standard.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 01:21   Link #2353
Sassarai
Army of One

What a surprise -_- all the captains are winning the poll.

Hisa -6
mihoko -4
Yumi - 4

Saki -5

Koromo at 2 only ;;

Old 2009-09-08, 01:49   Link #2354
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, Kanbara "wahaha" Satomi is the captain of Tsurga's so...
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 03:36   Link #2355
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
The one where Saki is lost and Nodoka comes to get her. I'm not sure which episode it was though...
Just looking through pics (at Random Curiosity), episode 17?
Ah, when Saki was looking for the toilet.

They're similar, though both have their differences.
Old 2009-09-08, 04:59   Link #2356
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
... blonde long-haired loli with Lovecraftian mahjong skills ...
Thanks to you, now i can't shake the image of Koromo as a Great Old Ones, her black "hands" as tentacles. Oh Koromo, why are you so SANity destroying?

Quote:
Allow me to quote the post I made when Kana won her SaiMoe match, explaining her appeal to me:

Quote:
"Let me try to explain Kana's charm. Kana's charm is all about feeling pity for her. Her life is hard. She has to take on enormous domestic duties. Her coach is always slapping her around. Mihoko completely forgets about her whenever Hisa shows up on the screen. And when it came down to the final struggle, to the most important competition of her life...she fails utterly. Utterly. Score: Zero Points. It's just so easy to feel sorry for her. But she's someone we can all relate to, because we've all been in that "beat up on, totally failed" moment. That's what makes her character so charming.

When you add in her cat-like demeanor, her spunky can-do! attitude, her awesome voice acting, zettai ryouiki and bike shorts version, NYAAA ROAR...well, that's all just icing on the cake. The delicious moe cake. "
THIS. 1000x times this.

Sorry about the cats.

On the other hand, i just noticed (me slowpoke) Kozue-chan has "South" written in her family name. It seems that she's the last surviving member of an ancient mahjong tradition. Maybe she has "Fist of the Southern Star" or something.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 07:13   Link #2357
Peanutbutter

Quote:
The thing I don't like about Akagi is that all matches are 1 vs 1. Mahjong is a 4-players game, not 2.

It'll be awesome to see how 4 players play mind games on one another. Relating to Saki, my dream match will be Mihoko vs Hisa vs Yumi vs Jun.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 07:36   Link #2358
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Well, Kanbara "wahaha" Satomi is the captain of Tsurga's so...
You mean wikipedia is wrong? It says Yumi is captain while Satomi is president of the club.
Old 2009-09-08, 07:48   Link #2359
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
What a surprise -_- all the captains are winning the poll.

Hisa -6
mihoko -4
Yumi - 4
Saki -5
Koromo at 2 only ;;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai
You mean wikipedia is wrong? It says Yumi is captain while Satomi is president of the club.
Wikipedia is right, but between your 2 posts you seem to have confused the terms Captain and President. Hisa and Mihoko are presidents while Yumi, Saki and Koromo were the captains.
Serffix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 07:55   Link #2360
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serffix View Post
Wikipedia is right, but between your 2 posts you seem to have confused the terms Captain and President. Hisa and Mihoko are presidents while Yumi, Saki and Koromo were the captains.
Oh I see. I meant president so I was mistaken about Yumi.

Looks like Hisa is more popular than the main character o_O

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen