AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-12-24, 19:52   Link #1
jfrog

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

OH MY GOD. Thank you!!!

I'm a huge Matsumoto fan, and I've never been able to see the original Captain Harlock TV series. Even after two episodes, with the plot not yet entirely clear, this has become one of my favorites. It's really sad...I can only think of a couple TV series to come out in recent years (Haibane Renmei, Windy Tales, and Paranoia Agent) that even come close to the quality of storytelling here.

I know that some people are going to hate this because of the animation, which really isn't that bad (in terms of framerate, it's no worse than, say, Beck). Oh well, their loss.
jfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 21:57   Link #2
Wang Hung Lo
Death to False Music

Send a message via AIM to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via MSN to Wang Hung Lo Send a message via Yahoo to Wang Hung Lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog

I know that some people are going to hate this because of the animation, which really isn't that bad (in terms of framerate, it's no worse than, say, Beck). Oh well, their loss.
Well, gee, it's only 25some years old.

I am also very happy to see it translated. I think older series should be focused on than the newer ones. We missed out on a lot of good shit.
Wang Hung Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 01:26   Link #3
leongsh
Daijoubu!

When the torrent was submitted for listing in Animesuki, I was all over it and even visited #AUF@irc.immortal-anime.net to get the torrent file. *waves in appreciation to the guys at #AUF*

Watching the first 2 episodes, I was hit with an avalanche of nostalgic feelings and shed a tear. It's a part of my youth when I managed to snag VHS tapes of classic series like this from video rental shops in the late 70s/early 80s.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 16:36   Link #4
NeverRamza

Old school Matsumoto definately rocks. I'm also glad someone is finally working on this one
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 20:54   Link #5
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverRamza
Old school Matsumoto definately rocks. I'm also glad someone is finally working on this one
In fact Corn Pone Flicks has done the entire series as VHS fansubs, but it's always good to see it released as a digital fansub too.

BTW, if anyone is interested in Captain Harlock, give their Captain Harlock Archives a try.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-25, 22:58   Link #6
Spooky-Electric

Awesome. Much appreciated to those fansubbing it.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 01:18   Link #7
Panon

Man, I love the guys who picked this up.

Watching those episodes was a blast since I hadn't seen them in nearly 20 years, and only dubbed back then.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 01:32   Link #8
jfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
In fact Corn Pone Flicks has done the entire series as VHS fansubs, but it's always good to see it released as a digital fansub too.
They've actually stopped distribution on the Space Pirate Captain Harlock TV series, as it's apparently been taking its toll on their own VHS copies. Still need to get around to ordering Queen Millennia from them, though...
Old 2004-12-26, 20:09   Link #9
NickSheehan

Thanks!!!

A HUGE thank you to the fansubbers making this available! I've seen the most recent "Endless Odyssey" Harlock series, and had been longing to see the original Rin Taro directed series! This is so awesome. What an amazing present for the holidays! Thanks.
NickSheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 16:36   Link #10
a7m4

In the beginning of the fansub it says: "Translated from the French Albator." Does that mean that the subtitles are translated from a French dub and applied to a Japanese raw? If that's the case I think I will stick with my VHS fansubs.

On another note, I'd love to see some Harlock fansubs using on the recently released re-mastered DVDs in Japan.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 17:09   Link #11
jfrog

I kinda doubt that's the case, because when Tadashi Daiba sees his father get murdered, the subtitles have him cry out "Tou-san!" instead of "Father!" which is probably what it would be if it was just translated from French. Of course, that's sloppy translation in and of itself - even if you are going to insert random Japanese words into your fansub, which you shouldn't, you should at least spell them right. But I shouldn't complain too much as I'm really just glad to be watching this.
Old 2005-01-01, 10:38   Link #12
Ri_
mangaworm

My thanks for bringing this out, too. I've been wanting to check into this, and I'm already enjoying what I've seen so far. Is it a long series?
Ri_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 12:48   Link #13
Doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
In the beginning of the fansub it says: "Translated from the French Albator." Does that mean that the subtitles are translated from a French dub and applied to a Japanese raw? If that's the case I think I will stick with my VHS fansubs.
I don't think they used the original Japanese to translate from. It really shows quite a bit. A lot of the English subs seem not quite right...

When comparing the first 8 minutes of digital subbed episode 1 with the CPF-VHS-sub, I noted numerous differences. Putting my limited language skills (words/common phrases) to use I have the feeling that the CPF is much more literal (although there are some minor issues with that sub too).

In a number of places the digital subbed version deviates; the general idea of what is being said remains largely the same, but there are a lot details that are clearly different from the Japanese (even if you know only a little) and some stuff doesn't fit...
Most striking is their translation of Harlock's response to the question of what to do with the cargo (clearly jewels and Saké from what you hear). In the CPF-sub it's "Throw it out", in the digital sub it's "Leave it". While I can't translate that piece of Japanese myself, the CPF-sub explains why we see the Jewels & Saké floating around in Space a little later on (the ship ws NOT destroyed as can be clearly seen).

My guess is that AUF's version is okay for the general idea of what's going on, but if you want more literal subs, then stick to the CPF-VHS-version.
Doof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 14:50   Link #14
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to YaoiBoy
OUT: Captain Harlock, episode 7 - Special Edition MKV

Hello everyone ^_^

As you've noticed, EP7 is out. We are moving on to EP8 and also have the first episode of a new Matsumoto series nearing completion.

Thanks for your patience!
YaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 04:18   Link #15
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Episode 13: The Witch's Ocean Castle of Death

Hello everyone,

Well, we've finally put out the wacky episode 13. The title says it all... This is one strange piece of anime that we just had to have something extra for.

In addition to the usual features, for this release you get to hear from the fansubbers in their own voices. That's right: we have included an audio commentary! I'm not certain if this has ever been done before in a fansub. It proved to be a LOT of fun and we will have to do this again!

The voices of the fansubbers you hear in this episode will be heard in the movie which we will be dubbing into English. Production for this has already begun. Release date to be determined.

Stay tuned. Episodes 9 and 10 will be next and then we shall proceed in proper order from 14 onward.

Last edited by YaoiBoy; 2006-03-25 at 04:56.
Old 2006-03-25, 06:34   Link #16
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Well that's nice to hear. Congratulations for the innovative idea in fansubbing,

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoiBoy
Stay tuned. Episodes 9 and 10 will be next and then we shall proceed in proper order from 14 onward.
I/We will be eagerly awaiting .
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 19:11   Link #17
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

OUT: Captain Harlock 9 - Special Edition

Harlock rides again!

Join Leiji Matsumoto’s legendary Captain Harlock in this lastest remastered special edition MKV. Usual features apply:

* Brand new 5.1 AC3 surround sound, 2.0 stereo sound and the original mono audio track
* Formatted and Unformatted soft-subbed English subtitle tracks
* Chapter Stops
* Optional clean opening and closing animation
* Region 2 DVD video source
* Corn Pone Flicks Translation

FILE INFO:
286414687 bytes May 29 05:44:30 2006 [Live-eviL]_Captain_Harlock_(TV-1978)_-_09_-_Special Edition_[E4A6831F].mkv - MD5 Hash:f8a49c8c3f25cc68453c1f9736a282b1

Episode 10 will be next.
Old 2006-06-06, 09:14   Link #18
Pluto_Child

Thank you so much for subbing this show! I am a Matsumoto fiend and I was enthralled when I saw that this was being subbed. I have never had a chance to see the original Harlock series (even the insane dub thingy). I was excited when I found out i could get the VHS dubs from Corn Pone, but when I went to their site it was too late, they had already stopped distribution! I was crushed and thought I would never get to enjoy this series in a million years. I thank you from the bottom of my heart (or something) :P Thanks for the first 12 you have given us so far! Thank you for all your hard work, plus I am glad to see that Live Evil is having so much darn fun with the subbing, it makes watching this series all the more worthwhile! (Seriously!) Since it's such an old but fun show... cheesy, but awesome at the same time! Thanks thanks!

~Molly~
Pluto_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 22:18   Link #19
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

FANDUB: Captain Harlock: "Mystery of the Arcadia"

Hello everyone,

Ever wanted to be IN an anime? Well, now is your chance! This is an offical invite to anyone who wants to audition for a voice part in the upcoming fandub of the Captain Harlock movie. The story is based on episode 13. I encourage you to download it as a reference. The movie is 30 minutes long and the characters which appear are:

Captain Harlock (The MAN!)
Daiba Tadashi, Young Scientist
Yattaran, Arcadia's 2nd in Command
Yuki Kei, Beautiful Bridge Officer
Dr. Zero, Ship's Doctor (and drunkard)
Mrs. Masu, Ship's Cook
Mime, Beautiful Alien who owes her life to Harlock
Maji, Ship's Engineer
Mayu, Harlock's young Goddaughter
Principal of Mayu's school (female)
Kiruta, Earth's Garrison Commander
Prime Minister of the Earth Federal Government
Witch Aman, the Villian

This will not be a typical low quality fandub! Fans of the Special Edition MKVs know that the audio quality will be high. The release will be dual audio (English and Japanese) in 5.1 surround. Source raw is the Region 2 DVD boxset and the Columbia Eternal Edition OSTs.

Please post your intentions to audition here in the forum. Thanks so much! ^_^
Old 2006-06-30, 07:26   Link #20
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

OUT: Captain Harlock (TV-1978) - Episode 10, Special Edition!

Well folks, we are finally back on track.

Thank you so much for your patience! Many loyal fans have waited as we converted to the Special Edition MKV format. I hope you all feel it was worth it! I really feel it was, indeed. With the back episodes released, we will move forward from now on. ^_^

In this episode the usual features apply:

1) Brand new 5.1 Surround AC3, 2.0 Stereo and Original Mono audio tracks

2) Region 2 DVD video source

3) Formatted and Unformatted subtitle tracks

4) Chapter Stops

5) Corn Pone Flicks translation

File size: 286388228 (273MB), CRC 787B3F51
Get it off BitTorrent.