AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-12, 11:33   Link #221
desrtsku
Nympholept

May that bird be a deadpan snarker, I'm so gonna use him as my next avatar. and imouto-chan as my next sig
Old 2012-12-12, 11:57   Link #222
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
CM3:

Narrated by the bird, who is played by Takumi Yamazaki.
That bird single-handedly guaranteed that I'll be giving this a try. Ebibodey lahves somebadieh.

Also I doubt they intended for this but the sub-characters in the key visual look more interesting than the main trio. Mochizou's expression there is pretty cute too.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 12:09   Link #223
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
That bird single-handedly guaranteed that I'll be giving this a try. Ebibodey lahves somebadieh.

Also I doubt they intended for this but the sub-characters in the key visual look more interesting than the main trio. Mochizou's expression there is pretty cute too.
Actually, they probably did intend for that. I doubt we're going to spend as much time with some of the side characters as we will with the main characters like Tamako. Having the side characters be visually distinctive (as in, really different compared to a normal person) will probably make them easier to remember for the viewers.

As for why they don't make the main characters visually distinctive as well, I would guess that it has to do with their design philosophy or something . I personally like Tamako's 'normal girl' design so I'm fine with it. We'll spend a lot of time with Tamako (and her family), so it makes more sense to give them relatable designs instead of goofy ones.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 14:14   Link #224
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The pervasive design philosophy of main characters looking boring has an unfortunate tendency to extend to their personalities as well.
And the bird is voiced by Kayneth? That's AMAZING.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 14:33   Link #225
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The pervasive design philosophy of main characters looking boring has an unfortunate tendency to extend to their personalities as well.
And the bird is voiced by Kayneth? That's AMAZING.
Lol, I can see why some people would find Tamako's design boring. I kinda meant that they were aiming for a more familiar character with Tamako's and her family's designs, not that they were boring (although to some people the two are pretty much the same).

Familiar is the key word here . You can definitely see KyoAni aiming for a sense of nostalgia with some of their design choices in various anime. Tamako is probably intended to be a like a bubbly, everyday girl with a regular family. I can see why some people would find that boring, but I think it's cute.
Old 2012-12-12, 20:11   Link #226
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Familiar is the key word here . You can definitely see KyoAni aiming for a sense of nostalgia with some of their design choices in various anime. Tamako is probably intended to be a like a bubbly, everyday girl with a regular family. I can see why some people would find that boring, but I think it's cute.
Yeah, it's sort of a "Girl Next Door" feel, which makes sense given the setting and premise. She's every bit the "shop owner's daughter". The whole premise is basically "the unusual story of an otherwise everyday life".
Old 2012-12-12, 21:57   Link #227
LC
Shocking Pink

The male lead is so cute! <3 Pretty much everything KyoAni makes is at least decent, so I'm excited for this.
Old 2012-12-12, 22:12   Link #228
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Who wants some more introductions?!

Mamedai Kitashirakawa (voiced by Keiji Fujiwara)
Tamako's father and the owner of the Tamaya mochi shop. A stubborn craftsman of the art of mochi-making. He gets into a quarrel everytime he meets Gohen.

Fuko Kitashirakawa (voiced by Tomomichi Nishimura)
Tamako's grandfather who's a bit aloof.

Gohen Ooji (voiced by Fumihiko Tachiki)
Mochizou's father and the owner of the Oojiya mochi shop. He has no other ideas beyond new mochi products. He gets into a quarrel everytime he meets Mamedai.

Michiko Ooji (voiced by Satsuki Yukino)
Mochizou's mother who manages the Oojiya mochi shop.

Images were taken from this Mantanweb article. This article confirms that the show will take place at both the shopping district and the school depicting an adolescent story that shows how important the bonds between people are.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 22:20   Link #229
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, it's sort of a "Girl Next Door" feel, which makes sense given the setting and premise. She's every bit the "shop owner's daughter". The whole premise is basically "the usual story of a mundane life".
Fixed.

In all seriousness, I am a bit flabbergasted by the apparent direction of this show's creative process. It is as this show is created with the sole intention of being safe and family friendly. Almost like something you'd put on the disney channel, which I guess shouldn't be surprising considering some of the staff from K-ON is here.

And if people like that sort of stuff fine... But KyoAni already have proven to me they aren't even particularly good at that brand of entertainment.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 22:35   Link #230
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It is as this show is created with the sole intention of being safe and family friendly. Almost like something you'd put on the disney channel, which I guess shouldn't be surprising considering some of the staff from K-ON is here.

And if people like that sort of stuff fine... But KyoAni already have proven to me they aren't even particularly good at that brand of entertainment.
Same for me really. "Family" entertainment would be something like Usagi Drop, or the noitamina days of old. I think that notion was already thrown out after the character designs and the various PVs (seriously, "derp" faces everywhere ), you know straight away this isn't going to be for an "everyday" audience despite what people say. Nothing wrong with aiming for a specific audience but don't go pretending something you aren't.

I'm still hoping it's more than typical Kyoani moe-moe gagcentric hijinks though, since once in a while Kyoani hits gold.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 23:17   Link #231
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Same for me really. "Family" entertainment would be something like Usagi Drop, or the noitamina days of old. I think that notion was already thrown out after the character designs and the various PVs (seriously, "derp" faces everywhere ), you know straight away this isn't going to be for an "everyday" audience despite what people say. Nothing wrong with aiming for a specific audience but don't go pretending something you aren't.
I don't think anyone has claimed that it was though...
Old 2012-12-12, 23:21   Link #232
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Fixed.
Having a giant talking bird descend on your life is not exactly "usual"; it at least provides a different perspective on a life that might otherwise be ordinary. It stands to reason that this will be the catalyst for some rather unusual circumstances. That doesn't mean you will be interested, of course.

Quote:
I think that notion was already thrown out after the character designs and the various PVs (seriously, "derp" faces everywhere ), you know straight away this isn't going to be for an "everyday" audience despite what people say. Nothing wrong with aiming for a specific audience but don't go pretending something you aren't.
What do character designs and "'derp' faces" have to do with the potential appeal of the show across demographics? Was K-On (featuring the same character designs) not also a show that had wide appeal across many demographics? I'm not sure that I even understand the premise of the statement. I don't even know if they're "pretending" to be anything given how little we actually know about the show beyond the basic premise and some character designs.

(There's something bizarrely "hipster" about this whole "eh, KyoAni? They could be cool, but their recent shows are pretty lame. Wake me up when they stop doing the popular stuff they're good at that sells and do something interesting." How did this become a thing? )
Old 2012-12-12, 23:30   Link #233
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
This article confirms that the show will take place at both the shopping district and the school depicting an adolescent story that shows how important the bonds between people are.
Ah, I suspected they would at least focus a little bit on the school even though all of the advertising material placed the characters in the market. I still don't think it'll be a very big focus though, since almost all of the student characters have ties to the market as well.
Old 2012-12-12, 23:32   Link #234
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I'm still hoping it's more than typical Kyoani moe-moe gagcentric hijinks though, since once in a while Kyoani hits gold.
It has a fat talking cockatoo.
Personally I'm hoping for this to be Tonnura-san: Bird Edition.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 23:40   Link #235
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Having a giant talking bird descend on your life is not exactly "usual"; it at least provides a different perspective on a life that might otherwise be ordinary. It stands to reason that this will be the catalyst for some rather unusual circumstances. That doesn't mean you will be interested, of course.
Having a cute little mascot is not exactly what I call a total game changer, though of course we still need to see the show to see what this anime is like and I can only make inferences.

My impression of the current marketing though is that they're aiming for a family friendly, safe show that is in the vein of something like K-ON! (At least this time without the false advertising) and from my experience this hasn't been their strong suit. Ghibi does a much better job at appealing to such demographics, and that is a very unhipster thing for me to say btw.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 23:40   Link #236
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
(There's something bizarrely "hipster" about this whole "eh, KyoAni? They could be cool, but their recent shows are pretty lame. Wake me up when they stop doing the popular stuff they're good at that sells and do something interesting." How did this become a thing? )
Spoiler for Offtopic reply to Relentlessflame:

Anyways, I'll stop here because it's seriously getting offtopic. Like I said, I'm still hoping this turns out to be another "Hyouka scenario" in that it will surprise me, though that is definitely not my expectation.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 01:20   Link #237
Warm Mist

What interviews are your referring to? Keep in mind that producing a show from the concept idea to the airing date takes 1.5~2.5 years. Tamako Market itself has been in production since 2010.

If they're trying to do "something different", it will show late this year (EDIT: I meant 2013) or in 2014. That's assuming everything Kyoani does is rehash the same thing with slight variations, an idea I don't even know how it got this popular among so-called "skeptics".

The only thing Kyoani shows have in common is the school setting, besides that they're all over the place in mood, genres, cast structure and themes.
Tamako Market itself is probably going to be very different to previous Kyoani works, based on the information we have as of now.

Last edited by Warm Mist; 2012-12-13 at 06:29.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 02:29   Link #238
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Oh, that is so 2008! Hipsters go after Shaft these days.

I kid. Though I think that concern was more valid back then than it is now. I hate annoying elitist yelp-style hipsters as much as the next person but Kyoani probably isn't the talk of the town to the degree they were back then with the driving force that was Haruhi.

Of course you may say that what AS or even the western fandom prioritizes isn't particularly relevant but it's definitely a natural reaction for a skeptic to the formerly rather aggressive fandom that proclaimed every Kyoani production to be the touch of Midas regardless of source quality. It still exists to some degree, and while there may be a hint of truth here and there, it's more than frustrating to want to talk about Little Busters and hearing people go RAWR NOT KYOANI.

Don't get me wrong. They've provided me with many hours of entertainment and put quite a bit of care into many of their works, but ultimately the distance between them and everyone else might not be as large as previously thought. Does it matter? No. Though it could be a bit disappointing and the show just doesn't look too interesting atm. But I like to be proven wrong when it comes to stuff like that

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 02:56   Link #239
rulfo

Quote:
So by your statement where do you categorize Chibi Maruko-Chan/Doraemon, and other old art style shows?

I mean seriously... I consider them derp faces. Should I apply that same kind of logic here?

Also how many people said this was going to be for the "everyday" audience? This is a really shallow way of looking at it. Could be compared to as shallow as a drop of water.

Quote:
Every new KyoAni show. Seriously I don't want this to go off topic so I'll just say it anyway

IN THIS THREAD.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-13 at 06:29. Reason: mod edit: removed comment about rep
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 12:32   Link #240
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Who wants some more introductions?!
Spoiler for size:
No mommy Tamako? Don't tell me she's dead...

Anyway, I like the focus on family. I've never been fond of the invisible parents trope. Keiji Fujiwara voicing the dad is a good news. His character at least has a reasonable chance of staying alive this time

Tags
comedy, seinen